I might very well have a new favourite insect species aesthetic-wise, wanna take a curious look? It won't bite I promise ;)

Rove beetles (Staphylinidae) are arguably the peak of insect morphology and sheer success when looking at their diversity and range of habitats!
They combine the most successful traits found in many different insect species, from the iconic elytra of beetles (which they are despite their appearance) to a long flexible body that opens up many opportunities for them, more so than any other beetle. Rove beetles occupy virtually all known terrestrial niches and environments and feed on an insane range of organic matter, from fungi and plants to live prey and carrion. Some are even parasitoids and some live exclusively in the fur of mammals feeding on fleas and lice.

Now we come to the species that genuinely caught my interest recently. Even among rove beetles this one is quite interesting.
He is a surfer!
No really it occupies beaches and sandy coastal areas and feeds on whatever is unfortunate enough to be in the open at night.
This beetle can't fly but still has his iconic elytra although drastically reduced and I may add quite cute now 😊
The colouration is of course an adaptation for blending in with the sand and the body is flat and flexible to allow for greater mobility when hunting or digging.

Now lets take a look at Thinopinus pictus a.k.a. pictured rove beetle!

We will start with the larvae who are, as their parents, vicious little predators!

6oW5Gqz.jpg

zvdhvR3.jpg

Now on to the adults!

86xMVHl.jpg

f4t0Zm8.jpg

HkrzcIm.jpg

0IZm4u3.jpg

Look at that innocent face!

yZwQILb.jpg

He would never bite you!

PRgiPWE.jpg

omae wa

bYcqUrZ.jpg

Gorgeous and feisty!

ldnkAGJ.jpg

Overall look.

WDpYqwk.jpg

A true beauty and possibly my pick for sexiest and cutest of all vicious killer beetles! 🪲

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
thank you for tagging me first

cute but vicious! i can relate to that.

thank you for tagging me first

cute but vicious! i can relate to that.
Now everyone will think the placing equals some subconscious ranking on my part :catcry

I do find you interesting though despite still not knowing who you were in the Old World™ but whoever takes time to read/listen to my bug "nonsense" has a special place in my heart :catplacent
Also I'm pretty sure you fall into my "anomalous shadow people I'll never truly get to know well enough" label together with Worm Juice and I guess Odd... Idk Odd is a dick and possibly a tomato pretending to be an apple.

Back