• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Game Ranked I Think You Should Leave - A Mafia Game by Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Thoughts and Awards

Sky

So unreliable.
Pronouns
She/Her
Reflections on a Mafia Game Completed

Well, that was a game and a half, wasn't it? For the amount it struggled to fill, and for the 24 hour Day phases (I was just going with what worked on WF, and it didn't work here), the game went by at a fair pace. 6k posts, that's more than any since Darkest Dungeon, the game I came back for.

I described this game as a comedy of errors early on, and that is what it felt like. Scum were easily rolling over and getting booted, despite town's best efforts to bicker and argue, but then during the Nights town reversed it with an amazing number of actions that screwed each other over. A potted list To wit: all three of Flower's action cop shots were messed with in some way: the first two being on vig targets and the third being distracted by Aurelian, and Ultra's second cop shot was also on a player doomed to die. The majority of other Night actions failed to achieve anything useful.

This was the first game I made with a Lyncher instead of a traditional third party. It's just a shame that it got killed before it could be active. The odd night/even night dichotomy was the last remnant of a type of role that was removed at the draft stage.

This game also means I'm going to have to rethink how I build setups in the future. I saw a lot of people trying to setup spec on the basis that "Surely Sky wouldn't include this role that can only interact with 1 or 2 roles"... actually, I would. I normally try to fit the roles around the lore, rather than the other way around, which leads to some interesting combinations of roles. If you like the unpredictability that causes, feel free to say... otherwise, expect my games to be more conventional from now on.

I have to once again thank @Grammaton for checking through the setup for Ranked for me. Some things that changed between my initial draft I sent to him and the final version:
- The Cop and Doctor were initially unlimited.
- As you'll see in the OP, Metalloid Maniac was a character, and his role was 1x BP. I cut it for size reasons and gave the BP shot to scum (which ultimately did not matter).
- The Distractor role was a very late addition. Originally, Town had Chunky (odd night Roleblocker, even night Disabler) and Jamie Taco's role was a 1x Rolesteal. When it was pointed out scum had no reliable disruption options, I moved roleblocking abilities to scum and came up with something as soon as I could.
- Party Host's secondary effect originally mass-Voyeured the night, revealing what actions were performed, but not who did them or whom their targets were.

I feel the game was better for these changes, though I'm sad that the wilder Party Host effect was nixed.

And finally, the awards.
MVP
@Gadministraitor
Of course, he basically solo scummed after some pretty nasty days for his teammates.

HM1
@Dr. Watson
The town voice of reason throughout mid and late game. Town would have been worse off without her.

HM2
@RDK
Was torn between him and Ultra for the second HM spot, because no one else played super strongly. I gave it to RDK because his reads were more consistently right.

Thank you for enjoying I Think You Should Leave Mafia! I hope to see you at my next game, which probably won't be in nearly 4 years like last time.

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
I should've trusted Chuck and gone for Gad the moment he started shifting his position around my play. Just like I should've stayed on Tweet. I don't feel bad about the Polar lynch since he death tunneled me the whole game and it was gonna be Thunderdome between us at some point.

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon

Well, that was a game and a half, wasn't it? For the amount it struggled to fill, and for the 24 hour Day phases (I was just going with what worked on WF, and it didn't work here), the game went by at a fair pace. 6k posts, that's more than any since Darkest Dungeon, the game I came back for.

I described this game as a comedy of errors early on, and that is what it felt like. Scum were easily rolling over and getting booted, despite town's best efforts to bicker and argue, but then during the Nights town reversed it with an amazing number of actions that screwed each other over. A potted list To wit: all three of Flower's action cop shots were messed with in some way: the first two being on vig targets and the third being distracted by Aurelian, and Ultra's second cop shot was also on a player doomed to die. The majority of other Night actions failed to achieve anything useful.

This was the first game I made with a Lyncher instead of a traditional third party. It's just a shame that it got killed before it could be active. The odd night/even night dichotomy was the last remnant of a type of role that was removed at the draft stage.

This game also means I'm going to have to rethink how I build setups in the future. I saw a lot of people trying to setup spec on the basis that "Surely Sky wouldn't include this role that can only interact with 1 or 2 roles"... actually, I would. I normally try to fit the roles around the lore, rather than the other way around, which leads to some interesting combinations of roles. If you like the unpredictability that causes, feel free to say... otherwise, expect my games to be more conventional from now on.

I have to once again thank @Grammaton for checking through the setup for Ranked for me. Some things that changed between my initial draft I sent to him and the final version:
- As you'll see in the OP, Metalloid Maniac was a character, and his role was 1x BP. I cut it for size reasons and gave the BP shot to scum (which ultimately did not matter).
- The Distractor role was a very late addition. Originally, Town had Chunky (odd night Roleblocker, even night Disabler) and Jamie Taco's role was a 1x Rolesteal. When it was pointed out scum had no reliable disruption options, I moved roleblocking abilities to scum and came up with something as soon as I could.
- Party Host's secondary effect originally mass-Voyeured the night, revealing what actions were performed, but not who did them or whom their targets were.

I feel the game was better for these changes, though I'm sad that the wilder Party Host effect was nixed.

And finally, the awards.
MVP
@Gadministraitor
Of course, he basically solo scummed after some pretty nasty days for his teammates.

HM1
@Dr. Watson
The town voice of reason throughout mid and late game. Town would have been worse off without her.

HM2
@RDK
Was torn between him and Ultra for the second HM spot, because no one else played super strongly. I gave it to RDK because his reads were more consistently right.

Thank you for enjoying I Think You Should Leave Mafia! I hope to see you at my next game, which probably won't be in nearly 4 years like last time.

Cubey should be sharing scum MVP with Gad :megacomfy

Emil

Average Diabellstar Witch Enjoyer
V.I.P. Member

And finally, the awards.
MVP
@Gadministraitor

HM1
@Dr. Watson

HM2
@RDK

i think ratchet did good considering how tanked the slot was before subbing in

and ultra carried early game with hime

Flower

No more tears left to cry...
V.I.P. Member
I should've trusted Chuck and gone for Gad the moment he started shifting his position around my play. Just like I should've stayed on Tweet. I don't feel bad about the Polar lynch since he death tunneled me the whole game and it was gonna be Thunderdome between us at some point.
Probably the reason I went for Polar. Your play just made no sense for scum.

Ratchet

otherwise, expect my games to be more conventional from now on.
Personally I don't really want to enforce conformity. I understand the design philosophy at play, I just feel it created a setup where town outgunned Mafia pretty heavily. I think having roles that only counter specific roles etc can work fine and I'd rather that than people be able to treat games like they will always observe the same rules. But in this case, our roleblocker could have been 3 or 4 shot, and the Vig could have been limited. Just a couple of things here and there would have sorted that out in my opinion.

Otherwise I don't like the idea of you needing to change how you design games, I don't think that should be the takeaway at all.

Gaddamnit

NYC Pizza is better than Neopolitan fite me
Pronouns
He/Him
Ultra ROBBED :heston
I laff
I love you

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Probably the reason I went for Polar. Your play just made no sense for scum.
I don't think my play was remotely scummy. I was in hindsight chasing and suspecting Tweet, Xadlin/Ratchet correctly and didn't try to throw a lifeline to Cake or Lethal either.

Abstained performing any action Night 1 to get more info and knew ultimately that someone between RDK, Gad, and Polar was lying about being VT.

Ultra

THE BEAR

And finally, the awards.
MVP
@Gadministraitor

HM1
@Dr. Watson

HM2
@RDK

The fuck

I lead lynches on 4/5 scum and Dr. Watson gets an HM because ???

Ratchet

i think ratchet did good considering how tanked the slot was before subbing in

and ultra carried early game with hime
I think I played a poor Day 4, where I was mostly absent. In fairness, I was afk in general, so I wasn't avoiding the game, but by the time I came back I was hammered which was on me. I think I maybe could have done better had I been posting so that's on me. Appreciate the kudos though, as soon as I saw I subbed in for Xadlin I wasn't feeling great about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back