• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Immeasurable/Infinite/Irrelevant speed: What qualifies it?

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Pretty much what the title says. Mainly because some certain series over on VSB tend to get wanked with these levels of speed. Though I don't quite get most of it. Infinite speed is easy enough to guess, since all you'd need to do is cross an infinite distance in a finite amount of time, but what qualifies as an infinite distance, even? And what about Immeasurable or Irrelevant speeds? I remember VSB wanked DMC into immeasurable because one of the noncanon demons was outside space-time? Wouldn't that boost a fuckton of series into immeasurable series if that was the case? And isn't irrelevant just omnipresent? Am I just confused? :dumbpepe

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
it's one of those things that a lot of times you have to take at face value

but existing outside of time like GER is one way we have treated it

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
For infinite speed, travelling an infinite distance in a finite amount of time via speed alone (Bow of Auri-El & the movement of the plane(t)s in TES, Simon escaping the Labyrinth in TTGL).

For immeasurable speed, you have to do the same but with moving through time as well as space (the Shrike from Hyperion Cantos).

I think irrelevant speed is when speed as a concept is irrelevant, and you have to be some kind of god, which is much harder to quantify.

Qinglong

Martyrs are the first to Die
V.I.P. Member
Irrelevant speed is for things like Omnipresents or Pseudo-Omnipresents/cosmic abstracts aka beings where speed just doesn't matter anymore

Or things like living universes/multiverses, but that might just go under immeasurable as well (how fast they are moving isn't something we could write out)

Last edited:

Edward Nygma

Illustrious
For infinite speed, travelling an infinite distance in a finite amount of time via speed alone
I've said it before, this is dumb.

You can't plug infinity into a fucking math formula. It isn't a number.

Beyond that, the mere act of exiting an infinite space innately contradicts the claim that said space is infinite.

The word for all of 3 types of feats OP mentions is just "unquantifiable". These showings shouldn't be applicable as speed feats. Escaping infinity should just be a unique skill/hax.

Maddie

Acclaimed
Infinite < Immeasurable < Irrelevant

Infinite speed is either countably infinite distance in finite time, or finite distance in 0 time. So speed to displace across a infinite set of numbers

Immeasurable is the ability to move across time dimensions or displace across higher dimensions or planes of existence

Irrelevant means you operate in a scale that transcends size so the idea of speed is irrelevant

Irradiance

Slightly Above Average
I've said it before, this is dumb.

You can't plug infinity into a fucking math formula. It isn't a number.

Beyond that, the mere act of exiting an infinite space innately contradicts the claim that said space is infinite.

The word for all of 3 types of feats OP mentions is just "unquantifiable". These showings shouldn't be applicable as speed feats. Escaping infinity should just be a unique skill/hax.
What you can have is a character running in a finite circle infinite times within finite time, though. Don't think that's contradictory. (and can be logically formulated as supertask)
Or running a finite distance in 0 time (like Raphtalia in Shield Hero does).

I think being infinite in the sense of "faster than any finite speed" from feats like that makes sense.

E

Example

Unconfirmed
For infinite speed, VSB gave the rating to certain characters if they were able to move in a void where time did not flow (or exist in it) or something like that. It's really weird because wouldn't that kind of feat be something similar to time stop resistance or just plain being unaffected by abilities that manipulate with time in some way?

Anyways...

If equation for velocity is distance over time, then infinite speed should be something like a character managing to cross an infinite distance (if a universe is said to be infinite in size, then characters going in an out of it and towards other existing dimensions should qualify).

For immeasurable?

It'd need to be a kind of speed feat where the standard velocity equation cannot apply, such as the distance not being quantifiable (in this case, characters who are larger than two or more infinite-sized universes including the distance between each other)...or time not being quantifiable, such as being able to interact with different points in time without any type of time manipulation due to said character's existence being outside the flow of it.

@Edward Nygma You got characters who can move in an out of universes & feats involving entire multiverses which pretty much ignore what is explainable with conventional math/science.

So in a way, with characters being able to perform feats that break outside of the boundaries (size, flow of time, & any other unknown variables not proven) of our own universe, rules for math & physics which are confined to our own existing universe stop applying at that point.

True form of Darkseid falling being able to collapse the entirety of the DC Multiverse? How would you even quantify the actual size of that thing (the DC multiverse has an infinite number of universes, doesn't it?)

But still, it's a feat that happened so...

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
The issue with the whole "run an infinite distance in a finite amount of time" thing is that no matter how little or how much time has passed you cannot run an infinite distance. the feat is unquantifiable in any way.

Just put it under immeasurable and stop being weird

E

Example

Unconfirmed
The issue with the whole "run an infinite distance in a finite amount of time" thing is that no matter how little or how much time has passed you cannot run an infinite distance. the feat is unquantifiable in any way.

Just put it under immeasurable and stop being weird
So if a universe is confirmed as having infinite size in lore but a character manages to exit out of it, are we just going to ignore the size of said universe stated in lore?

But Immeasurable sounds fine since you can't quantify those kinds of feats and express them mathematically anyways.

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
So if a universe is confirmed as having infinite size in lore but a character manages to exit out of it, are we just going to ignore the size of said universe stated in lore?

But Immeasurable sounds fine since you can't quantify those kinds of feats and express them mathematically anyways.
The way I see it, if you can leave or get to the end of something claimed to be infinite then it wasn't infinite or you did it through something besides speed like spacial manipulation.

Infinity isnt a number you can use to accurately gauge things.

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Examples off the top of my head:

- Gold Experience Requiem since speed is irrelevant to it given it operated when time and space didn't exist and it was erased from existence
- Noah in Megaten who also has something similar
- Flash and some of the other Speed Force users that make speed pointless
- The Shrike

Edward Nygma

Illustrious
No. We just don't use that feat for anything.

Not every impressive thing a character does is going to be quantifiable. We just have to take some Ls.

What you can have is a character running in a finite circle infinite times within finite time, though. Don't think that's contradictory.
I do.

You can't have a beginning and an endpoint and be any kind of infinite. "Finite time" means the person stopped doing laps. Infinite literally means "never ending". If your task is to do something an infinite number of times, your task can never end. If your taks ends, it contradicts any claim that it was infinite.

Edward Nygma

Illustrious
You got characters who can move in an out of universes & feats involving entire multiverses which pretty much ignore what is explainable with conventional math/science.

So in a way, with characters being able to perform feats that break outside of the boundaries (size, flow of time, & any other unknown variables not proven) of our own universe, rules for math & physics which are confined to our own existing universe stop applying at that point.

True form of Darkseid falling being able to collapse the entirety of the DC Multiverse? How would you even quantify the actual size of that thing (the DC multiverse has an infinite number of universes, doesn't it?)
I'm not sure what your point is here.

Shit gets beyond cosmic, sure. But I think there is a difference between just accepting what is stated about a character directly, "Darkseid can destroy the infinite multiverse" and using bits of information like "the universe is infinite, and character X crossed the universe in a day" to abuse something as simple as the v=d/t formula by plugging in concepts like infinity.

For the record, I totally agree that characters can be beyond speed as a concept (omnipresence, etc). But not solely on the grounds of covering an infinite distance. Not when I've never seen an infinity that behaves like one.

Or running a finite distance in 0 time (like Raphtalia in Shield Hero does).
1m / 0s =! infinity m/s

1m / 0s = SyntaxError

:whutpepe

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
Honestly when it comes to having true infinite speed, I think the only thing that can really qualify, is moving while time is literally at a standstill. Which is something typically done with an ability in fiction. If its ever done with natural, raw speed, then said character who accomplished it can very easily have that become an outlier, simply by having him/her take time to do ANYTHING from that point on. Crossing an infinite universe in any amount of time just doesn't work, as if that's actually infinite, then its never-ending, so what fucking distance were you crossing of that in each increment of time it took you to pass beyond it? That's the conundrum you run into with infinite universe crossing feats, they pose an inherent contradiction on their own.

Immeasurable and irrelevant are much easier to pin, as running/flying through time via raw speed breaks the formula completely, and being so fast you transcend shit like concepts is a shoe in for speed being a meaningless stat to you at that point.

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
Infinite < Immeasurable < Irrelevant

Infinite speed is either countably infinite distance in finite time, or finite distance in 0 time. So speed to displace across a infinite set of numbers

Immeasurable is the ability to move across time dimensions or displace across higher dimensions or planes of existence

Irrelevant means you operate in a scale that transcends size so the idea of speed is irrelevant
Infinite would be things that happen with no lapse in time-frame. Immeasurable would be things beyond that. Irrelevant would be when some entity does something crazy like exist in the past, present, and future simultaneously with all three happening at the same time for it. Omnipresence across all three as if they're happening at once, or just general crazy omnipresence feats.

Mr.OMG

Paramount
Infinite speed is the speed at which the concept of distance has no fundamental meaning, that is, no time is spent on its passage.

And immeasurable speed is something that goes beyond the very concept of speed. It is usually characteristic of characters whose difference in speeds can only be evaluated at levels of existence where the concepts of space and time in the usual sense do not matter, but where concepts of a higher order may operate.

Irradiance

Slightly Above Average
1m / 0s =! infinity m/s

1m / 0s = SyntaxError

:whutpepe
gvg6hCE.gif

Back