• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Inquiry about FTL KE and relativity

OrlandoSky

Paramount
Ok, obviously if a character throws an object or a punch at a speed we know is FTL as a concussive force we can't calculate it because of the law of relativity. Making the calc for the force of the object unquantifiable unless by calculating the setting's collateral by the object (craters, fragmentation, holes, dead scalable characters etc.)

I haven't seen or heard anyone bring this up as an option before but could we not quantify the force of a FTL object from the relativistic KE formula by using 99% lightspeed? Since by the laws of acceleration dictates the object that it would have to reach that speed in order to pass it by to reach FTL. Let's say someone throws a football FTL speed could we just use the KE for the speed it reached at 99% lightspeed? (City level/50 megatons) since the object would inevitably have to shift up to and past that velocity anyway, ergo the thrown FTL object at some point of it's acceleration had a quantifiable kinetic energy before inevitably breaking that light barrier wall.

Of course doing this would also open a can of worms and risk more calc inflation (ex. most JoJo characters would be upscaled to City+-Island level because of their punches).

I'm not bringing this up as a consideration to change the status of FTL KE (I'm not expecting it to). I just wanted to bring it up to see what other people think about the notion of relativistic KE used for unquantifiable FTL objects and what the consensus on that idea is because I haven't seen anyone bring this up.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Of course doing this would also open a can of worms and risk more calc inflation (ex. most JoJo characters would be upscaled to City+-Island level because of their punches).
This is my main problem with this line of thinking.

Take dragon ball for instance doubters harp on about the lack of aoe for characters throwing out planet busting attacks and use that to downplay.

But thing is, Dragon Ball has irrefutable evidence for planet busting with Roshi, Piccolo and Frieza which becomes the benchmark for everyone else.

But as you bring up in Jojo's, no one actually destroys a city, that benchmark doesn't exist in the series, instead the calc itself become the benchmark which can then inflate everything else.

Last edited:

Uoruk

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Unless you're saying to hardcap it at 99% the speed of light this has been brought up before. The most notable example being Daewi's feat of tossing Jupiter at ftl speeds. You could technically inflate the destructive capacity depending on how close to the speed of light you wanted to get (99.9xinfinity) until you reached whatever you wanted and it wouldn't be wrong because technically you had to have hit that point at some time since you were going ftl. Don't remember who it was but this was essentially the problem people had with LS and ftl calcs since KE gets wonky at these points.

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
Depends on the writer, and whether they elaborate on it in the narration. For example? I do, but that's because I am a versus nerd.

SovQX4E.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The issue with reaching 99% the speed of light and the energy from there, is that you can also use this to reach 99.9% the speed of light, and 99.99% the speed of light, and 99.99999999% the speed of light, and so on, and it can get very NLFy from there.

Back