Introducing Mafioso, a new Mafia tool! (DISCONTINUED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Introductory post

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Since the dawn of One Last Forum, my goal has been to elevate our community beyond the ordinary forum experience, even in the face of formidable competitors like Discord and other forum platforms. What binds us together is the essence of unity and collaboration, drawing individuals from every corner of the vast Internet landscape. And in the spirit of collaboration, @Worst and I have been putting our creative minds to work, injecting fresh ideas to give smaller communities here that extra touch of exclusivity.

In this revitalized endeavor, we're gearing up to unveil a plethora of entertaining and innovative applications, all intricately tied back to the forum experience. The aim is to make our community stand out, ensuring everyone remains engaged and entertained for the years to come.

Now, without further ado, @Worst and I are thrilled to introduce a brand-new tool tailored for hosts, players, and even spectators to effortlessly track and manage Mafia games on One Last Forum.

Behold, Mafioso, your new Mafia tool!
https://mafioso.onelastforum.com

As we roll out this new application, it's important to note that it's still in an "Early Access" phase. This thread doubles as an invitation for its current public beta release. What does this mean for you? It's straightforward – if you believe you could leverage this tool as a host, let us, the forum Admins, know. We'll gladly add you to a special group that unlocks the ability to create games, manage roles, log actions, and more through the app. While the application might not boast all its intended features just yet and could be missing some crucial elements, your participation in this beta as valued members of the Mafia community is crucial. Your feedback will play a pivotal role in refining and enriching the application, ensuring it becomes the comprehensive solution for all your Mafia game needs here on the forum! Did I also mention that you can log into the application with your OLF account?! Well, you can do just that! Pretty neat, huh?

To get started, simply follow these steps:
  1. Visit https://mafioso.onelastforum.com
  2. Click on the "Sign In" link at the top right of the page.
  3. Hit the "Sign in with One Last Forum" button.
  4. Carefully review the permissions required by the app and click on the "Authorize" button.
  5. Once successfully logged in, you won't need to reauthorize for some time.
  6. Return to this thread and request access to the special user group we've created, granting you instant access to the host's tools.
  7. Share feedback along the way and let us know what more you'd like to see from this application that seamlessly integrates with your OLF account!

Below is some additional information about this application that we believe you should know before reporting any bugs or requesting features.

What Can Hosts Do?​

Once added to the special user group created on the forum, hosts will immediately have access to:
  • Creating games
  • Adding and assigning roles
  • Setting the starting date of the game
  • Selecting the game flavor/type
  • Logging player actions
  • And much more to come based on future feedback!

What Can Players Do?​

As long as your account is in a valid state (not banned, email confirmed, etc.), you, as a player, can:
  • Join games created by hosts.
  • Note: Currently, only hosts can remove players from a game, and future updates will make it easier for players to withdraw from a game before it starts.

Things You Should Know and Known Issues:​

1. API Calls: To reduce the number of API calls, the application stores the last information grabbed when you authorized access. Your username, avatar, and related information from your forum account will be updated only when you sign out and back in or sign in through a new device or session.
  2. Password Security: Your password is not shared with the application; OAuth2 is used for secure authentication. The token stored in your browser is known only to it and can be revoked by logging out through the application or clearing browser cookies.
  3. Application Responsiveness: Some pages do not automatically reload or redirect after a specific action. Improvements are planned to make the application more responsive and provide up-to-date information.

Planned Features:​

• Better avatar caching
  • Enhanced Hosts Panel
  • Player ability to remove themselves from games before they start
  • Automation of vote tracking
  • New logo/favicon
  • Improved landing page/dashboard

Screenshots:​

Coming soon!

Please note that if I missed anything in this post that you believe should be included, please let me know. This thread will also serve as a changelog for newer versions of the application that are released.

Chairman Nibel

Breath of the Wild
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
He/Him
I would like to host my first game of mafia next year. I will probably make it on OLF.

Reactions: Ral

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I would like to host my first game of mafia next year. I will probably make it on OLF.
Looking forward to it!

In the meantime, if you'd like to be added as a Mafioso Host before or around that time, let us know! Feel free to PM me when you're ready or if you want to explore the tool now as a host to get a better idea of how it currently works. We'd like to get feedback from players, hosts, both new and seasoned, as well as any regular spectators and subs.

A word from one of the Mafioso app developers

Worst

Ayeee!!

Not much else to add, some of you WG fellas might remember i tried to do something like that there, but it failed for 2 reasons:

1) I had no idea what i was doing at the time, i was just getting started and i messed up big time xD
2) There was no way to connect your forum account to the platform account meaning you had to sign up and sign in with different credentials which was a bit annoying, while with the OAuth2 service you can pretty much just consider this as a " more sophisticated addon " or a different section of the forum.....

With these issues out of the way as @Ral said a ton of new opportunities are laid before us :megumitwerk:

Like the " failed one " the main purpose of this is to allow hosts to handle the most annoying parts of hosting ( like action processing & vote counts ) in one centralized place with ofc a nicer way overall to monnitor the whole thing!

And this is only the beginning i'm looking forwad to where this can go!!

Worst

Btw ( i should make that part clearer :mhm ) you can access the game by clicking on the title in the table

( here the 1st game )

If you're a player you'll see your role ( if the host assigned you one ) and the option to access the host panel if you're the game host

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
We're currently experiencing minor technical issues with the app. It'll be back up soon!

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I inadvertently activated my dormant dyslexia and redeployed the app using the wrong port for the database :lul

It's back up and running again!

Poyser

Sounds beast and like it has a tonne of potential!

I’ve not got time to look through it right now, so I’ve just got a couple of questions I don’t see mentioned in your posts

1) is there the ability to add personalisation to roles (so like you can assign a character and put in some flavour text rather than just assign a role)

2) will there be the functionality to isolate the posts of a certain player? Or search all posts made by a single player or similar (like the who replied? Feature)

Poyser

Oh nvm I think I got mixed up. I thought this would be like you’d play the entire game on the app, but I see it’s more of an add on to the forum and assume the games themselves will still be played here?

That said if it can help with the hosting stuff then it will still be great. Especially the vote counts and action processing

Worst

Sounds beast and like it has a tonne of potential!

I’ve not got time to look through it right now, so I’ve just got a couple of questions I don’t see mentioned in your posts

1) is there the ability to add personalisation to roles (so like you can assign a character and put in some flavour text rather than just assign a role)

2) will there be the functionality to isolate the posts of a certain player? Or search all posts made by a single player or similar (like the who replied? Feature)

Yes you can personalize pretty much every aspect of the game

Here is the entry point of the "host panel" as you can see there are the main tabs where you can manage

settings of the game
participants
roles
actions

From here you can edit the game infos / the phase / lock the action / lock votes ( still in progress )
NETpdL3.png

This is the roles/ role creation section:

uacNFkH.png

You can pretty much add anything you need and customize the role as u see fit

Bolc8kE.png

And the players when they get assigned a role will see something like this where they have an overveiw of their role ( and the roles they can see )and the form to submit an action

bXWlUfQ.png

Oh nvm I think I got mixed up. I thought this would be like you’d play the entire game on the app, but I see it’s more of an add on to the forum and assume the games themselves will still be played here?

That said if it can help with the hosting stuff then it will still be great. Especially the vote counts and action processing

Yeah this is mainly intended to assist hosts in managing everything in one place especially action processing there is a section for that too which looks something like this ( it's just mock data btw :P )

9NedCiW.png

And this is how a single action looks like for the host ( there is also a way to have a quick preview of the 2 players roles )

YqwVmOX.png

Last edited:

Worst

Yeah possibly we're planning to add all sorts of features we mainly waiting for some hosts & players who want to test it and give us feedback on what to improve / what features might be worth adding we stopped at what i showed you in the screenshot cuz me and ral aren't mafia hosts so we don't really know what features might be essential to manage a game :)
We just did the first step :P

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I initially thought about syncing up the sign-up and game threads you create as the host or author on OLF. I wanted to show tables for "Your Signups Threads", "Your Game Threads", and so on. However, bringing this feature into the app design without proper community feedback seemed too complicated. We were also unsure if having an app entirely synced with the forum would be better than the current setup of a completely separate app.

As it stands, you can already log in with your OLF account, and the app securely pulls in basic information about your account (excluding sensitive details like your password). If it's something you'd like in the future, it would be reasonably easy to implement the feature of retrieving thread owner information from individual notes/sections on the forum, along with ISO support.

With that being said, I added you as a host so you can test-drive the host features along with RDK omae wa
Yep @Ral just needs to add you to the hosts group and u should be able to start playing around with it
Done! @RDK, check the main page of the app to see if you can add a game now.

Worst

Looking over, I can't see any way to "unsign" - am I being silly or is that not there?

U mean from the game ? Yeah the players themselves cannot rn but the host can kick you out if you decide to dip out

TcZ7VWr.png

XHiyTsQ.png

It can easily be done though.....
There were tons of features we were planning on adding but since it takes a considerable amount of effort to develop these things ( from scratch ) we decided to just release with the bare minimum and only add new things if this gained some considerable amount of interest ( and ofc get feeback on what features are the most requested so we don't develop pointless things :) ) the downside of doing things from scratch is that it takes more effort (and testing) but in return we have all the flexibility we need

Btw since it's kind of essential next thing that's coming is this :D

( again not so pretty and not FULLY feature complete ( like print/post full vote count ) but functional enough )

D0WYpEd.png

8lTwusB.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back