InuYasha

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
You won't find many regulars here who treat it as anything else than a laughing stock, i'm afraid.

That being said, it was the series that got me into animu and manga and even though i'm fully aware of its many crappy parts, i still have an attachment to it.

Reactions: Ral

RavenSupreme

Illustrious
My all time favourite Manga due to sheer childhood memories and made links with it. Also the one series I likely know the most about.

While it was one of the first genre defining Mangas of its kind from a global perspective and hence had significant monetary and culturally success which would usually allow it to be considered to be one of the "big x" like Naruto, One Piece etc...

... it did not have similar legacy success. Be it movie adaptions, games, broad availability of merchandise, reception and discussion around various media etc. were first and foremost found for OP, Bleach, Naruto, DBZ... which aired with similar success at the same time as Inuyasha.

These manga and anime were predominantly aimed towards younger boys and early male teenagers. Whereas InuYasha was aimed for a broader audience which is fancy wording for: It had a wider reception at female readers as well.

However due to female readers being generally lesser in numbers, the legacy did not build up like with the other "big x" series.

I will always cherish my memories with InuYasha and am happy that Yasahime shines a light to this gem of a series.

Yoshi

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
Yeah, on second thought, Inuyasha has more in common with series like Fairy Tail than it does with Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece, because both series rivaled the Big Three at one point, but ended up being more niche than them. Detective Conan is closer in popularity to the Big Three than either InuYasha or Fairy Tail are.

Reactions: Ral

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
I think Inuyasha has a lot going for it, but it got squandered for a few reasons. It's got a good cast, good character designs, a good concept, and the anime (the original one at least) was really good looking.

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
Has to be stated that the soundtrack also did a lot of the carrying of the show .

God damn, that shit was good.
Yeah the OST was very good. Sunrise in the late cel animation era was also on another level compared to pretty much every studio besides maybe Madhouse.

Here's the two issues I see with the series. There's a pretty big disconnect of the first bit of the series, up through around a bit after Inuyasha first confronts Sesshoumaru and the rest of the series. It used to have a bit more of a dark fantasy vibe with some minor ecchi elements and after that you only see a bit of the former here and there and almost none of the latter. There's also an odd disconnect when you consider how weak the full Shikon was and then how strong each shard apparently was.

The second is Naraku and how he wasn't able to carry the entire series as an antagonist. They probably should've dealt with him by the halfway point or so if not sooner. I don't think he was a bad villain, but being stretched out wasn't in his favor either.

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
Here's the two issues I see with the series. There's a pretty big disconnect of the first bit of the series, up through around a bit after Inuyasha first confronts Sesshoumaru and the rest of the series. It used to have a bit more of a dark fantasy vibe with some minor ecchi elements and after that you only see a bit of the former here and there and almost none of the latter.
That's true .

A lot of the elements from the manga were censored in the anime which is understandable i guess since we're talking about a shounen story .

It can also be attributed to the fact that Rumiko didn't have a clear image and just went with whatever .

here's also an odd disconnect when you consider how weak the full Shikon was and then how strong each shard apparently was.

Don't think that's the case. If you meant under utilized , i'd agree but even then that was by design as Naraku flat out stated that he didn't want to do shit with it.

The second is Naraku and how he wasn't able to carry the entire series as an antagonist. They probably should've dealt with him by the halfway point or so if not sooner. I don't think he was a bad villain, but being stretched out wasn't in his favor either.
Somewhat fair but with two caveats.

Naraku after Hakurei was absent for a large portion of the story so the vilians for that period of time were either his incarnations or episodic ones .

Second, Naraku was never the main antagonist of the series. The Shikon Jewel was and i kinda liked the recontextualization or the reveal at the end when you realized that the great baddy manipulator was just a puppet.

Great irony , though you could certainly make the case that it could have been executed better and also it's clear as day that they pulled the " Main Party fights Naraku and then he runs away" one too many times

The main problems for me are the pacing and the lack of focus . Inuyasha could have easily been a 300 chapter manga as opposed to a 500+ and it would have been much better for it.

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
That's true .

A lot of the elements from the manga were censored in the anime which is understandable i guess since we're talking about a shounen story .

It can also be attributed to the fact that Rumiko didn't have a clear image and just went with whatever .

Don't think that's the case. If you meant under utilized , i'd agree but even then that was by design as Naraku flat out stated that he didn't want to do shit with it.

Somewhat fair but with two caveats.

Naraku after Hakurei was absent for a large portion of the story so the vilians for that period of time were either his incarnations or episodic ones .

Second, Naraku was never the main antagonist of the series. The Shikon Jewel was and i kinda liked the recontextualization or the reveal at the end when you realized that the great baddy manipulator was just a puppet.

Great irony , though you could certainly make the case that it could have been executed better and also it's clear as day that they pulled the " Main Party fights Naraku and then he runs away" one too many times

The main problems for me are the pacing and the lack of focus . Inuyasha could have easily been a 300 chapter manga as opposed to a 500+ and it would have been much better for it.
I was talking about the early part where like one or two demons had it while it was still whole.

I agree with what you're saying, but I was also generalizing. It's also important to remember that the incarnations even when acting separately are still offshoots of Naraku rather than completely new foes so he's still relevant even when it's not him. It's the same with the Band of Seven since they were reborn because of him. It's not even like I'm saying that they're bad or that those were poor developments, but in the end it all goes back to him.

I wouldn't mind giving the manga a shot one day, but honestly Rumiko's artwork isn't as good as her design work and the anime looks a LOT better.

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
I was talking about the early part where like one or two demons had it while it was still whole.
True enough although there's only so much the Jewel could do to to empower literal trash tier demons.

t's also important to remember that the incarnations even when acting separately are still offshoots of Naraku rather than completely new foes so he's still relevant even when it's not him.

Yeah but they still had their own motivations independent from Naraku which in the end caused them to come to blows.
Hakudoshi, the baby through Moryomaru , Kagura..etc.

It's not even like I'm saying that they're bad or that those were poor developments, but in the end it all goes back to him.

You could say that without issue. Like none of them were particularly good as temporary villains or anything like that.
The only good one was Kagura and by the end you can't even say she was a really a villain anymore. Girl just wanted to be left the fuck alone .

That particular chunk of story between post Hakurei and ... idk..let's say Kikyo's death when things start building up to the final part of the series is by far the weakest part of the series. There individual good singular episodic stories here and there but overall, the focus isn't there and the villains just aren't interesting and we're talking about like 200+ chapters. You could have cut all of that and it wouldn't have impacted the story all that much.

I wouldn't mind giving the manga a shot one day, but honestly Rumiko's artwork isn't as good as her design work and the anime looks a LOT better.
Agreed.

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
Just finished Yashahime and i know it's late but really want to give props to one of the select few things they did right which is : The respect they show Seshomaru.

Fucking hell, the entire's show premise and backstory is basically : Sesshomaru does shit to make sure his family is safe.

And they did it in two great ways. One of them is having him act in a manner similar to his father via planning shit long term . Dunno if it was intentional but if it was, very cool touch.

Second being, providing the perfect example of his entire character development throughout the series which comes at the end of episode 23 where Jaken asks him why he showed mercy to Kirinmaru and Rion when he could have killed them both and he answered :
"Because if i did that, my daughters's hearts wouldn't have been saved. " . Perfect, fucking perfect.

Even it's a below average show, i'm glad that they did get this right at least.

Back