• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Mafia General Discussion

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
we have an unranked section?
we do! it was decided between all of the community

i wanna be transparent even though you've reached your own conclusion (durr it's kinda my job): as for WS, we are *technically* willing to take in any affiliate (unless it's like... kiwifarms tier.) ral and i have had that agreement before anyone actually joined here. our ultimate goal, beyond this section and beyond OBD, is to have an integrated network of affiliated communities. right now, we have a section affiliate agreement with worstgen, and a site affiliation with theforgottenlair
essentially, we want to utilize the perks of XF and revive the more retro parts of the internet and update them for the '20s. whether this will succeed is another story, of course.

but no, i concur with the folks that used to play there; affiliating is not a good move (even if there's a specific section affiliation you had in mind) due to past history. i don't think it'd to do any good and the rule of "letitgo.png" will be very hard to maintain if we did partner. i appreciate you trying! are there maybe any other forums you'd think would be a good match for ranked?

i know of WS, obviously, would specific mafia forums be of any interest to OLF maybe?

Tempest

Leprous Monarch
Smark (who runs WS) would never agree to be affiliated in any way regardless, he wants ALL of the traffic and attention on HIS forum. That's his mentality. Very competitive, conservative, zero-sum mindset.

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
Smark (who runs WS) would never agree to be affiliated in any way regardless, he wants ALL of the traffic and attention on HIS forum. That's his mentality. Very competitive, conservative mindset.
yup, alot of forums have that mindset. and i understand, many owners and mods outside of here are terrified of losing their userbase and activity. and sometimes that does indeed happen with migrations or losing a chunk of extremely active members, thus adding to section deaths and a slow agonizing death of the site itself

and it's very narrow minded, and the biggest obstacle is people don't understand how to network and actually partner with other communities. it's really just gonna come down to marketing and selling eachother well. things like cross-hosting mafia games, cross-over contests (with actual gift card and cash prizes), and other things can create a feedback loop without losing member interest. the rest of the forums just haven't caught on yet ;)

Penguini

The Best Dog
I tried sort some problems out. After four days. I realized I was eating a shit sandwich. Hence why im no longer staff for that section.

Im more curious about how unranked works

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
(which is why i really, really need some social media managers to advertise and reach out for affiliation on reddit subs and various other sites -- it's not a job that i can personally maintain. i credit it to xiammes, too. it's actually crucial if we want to grow OLF and the other communities like this one)

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
I tried sort some problems out. After four days. I realized I was eating a shit sandwich. Hence why im no longer staff for that section.

Im more curious about how unranked works
wait, this happen just recently?

basically unranked is just experimental SRM/RM games with a different (looser) criteria. it also includes the ability to have bastard games

ranked is no bastards, avoid SRM because most folks just don't like playing 'em

it was basically a compromise for both cultures to be able to have their own thing without stepping on toes

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Smark (who runs WS) would never agree to be affiliated in any way regardless, he wants ALL of the traffic and attention on HIS forum. That's his mentality. Very competitive, conservative, zero-sum mindset.
You sure he's not Jff's cousin or something? :maybe

Goth Boy

King of the losers
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
problem with a few communities - i living in the past and not getting over stuff and holding on to stuff longer than they should.
im just hear for mafia and tenable.
I mean, that's kind of easy to say when you aren't involved in the money side of things

Ratchet

@Ultra were you planning to host your RM game here?

kind of need the unranked section to be utilized, because yikes
aries is too busy to host rn

if not, you can co-host something with me
I have something in the works that would fit Unranked, but frankly I don't even know if the appetite to play Unranked games here is present.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I mean, that's kind of easy to say when you aren't involved in the money side of things
I pay for hosting, which is dirt cheap nowadays, especially with running a small community, and that still hasn't changed my stance about cross-forum collaboration. I guess once most people see green, that's all they see and then they instantly forget the members that helped build their site.

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
I have something in the works that would fit Unranked, but frankly I don't even know if the appetite to play Unranked games here is present.
that's the biggest obstacle. without aries and other FVers who enjoy games like them, i don't know if the section will ever be utilized :hm not sure how to get it off its tracks

Ultra

THE BEAR

Try posting sign ups and seeing - I suspect some of this is due to certain uh, lack of quality assurance guarantees from some of the usual customers who host SRM.

Ratchet

Try posting sign ups and seeing - I suspect some of this is due to certain uh, lack of quality assurance guarantees from some of the usual customers who host SRM.
Yeah, I'll get them posted over the weekend - though with Fang's game also in signups I'm not sure I *can* just skip the queue, or if there even is a queue for Unranked.

Ultra

THE BEAR
Yeah, I'll get them posted over the weekend - though with Fang's game also in signups I'm not sure I *can* just skip the queue, or if there even is a queue for Unranked.

I think it's fine since there's no queue. We haven't figured out formally what the policy is there since no games ran. Personally I think it would be maybe nice to have it a first come first serve/anything goes thing to balance out our more structured way of handling ranked games.

Ultra

THE BEAR
If the unranked section hypothetically starts to compete for activity including in in the queue should probably be standard procedure, as it stands with no system in place, I say go for it

Back