MCU Destructive Capacity: How Strong are the Upper Tiers, Exactly?

Edward Nygma

Illustrious
Who gets what? Are there any outliers that should be ignored?

Should the Infinity Stones' output be treated as comparable to their best showings at all times? Did Thanos' hand actually survive a moon level pimp slap? Does that make everyone and their mother at least multi-continent level?

--------------Town/Small City Level--------------
Tony says Thor can crack open Sakoiva: 667.3 kilotons (I don't support the other proposed numbers, because it's not possible to account for Tony's techno-wizardry when looking at the actual destruction of the city. However, Tony outright says that Thor could bust open Sokovia on his own, the chunks would just still be too big.)
Makkari plays hide-and-seek: 6.5 megatons

---------------Island Level--------------
MK50 armor tanks moon chunk: 2.1 gigatons

--------------Large Island Level --------------
Ikaris parts clouds: 769.88 gigatons

--------------Country Level--------------
Tesseract durability: 276.7 teratons
Thor tanks neutron star beam: 392.3 teratons (VSB calc, looks like it's probably in the ballpark at least)

--------------Moon Level++--------------
Thanos fractures and throws a moon: Probably >1exaton. I don't see any good numbers for either part of the feat. Nor do I see a way to get them, not without just assuming Earth-like properties for everything involved.

--------------Small Planet Level--------------
Power Stone razes a planet: 1.7 ninatons

--------------Large Planet Level--------------
Bifrost output per second: 206.8 yottatons - 499.66 ninatons (see threadmark)

Last edited:
E

Example

Unconfirmed
The Large Planet Level calc where it states "Bifrost output per second" is not linking properly when it is clicked.

Also, when destructive capacity reaches the tenatons range, it goes past Large Planet Level and ends up in Star Level ranges.

E

Example

Unconfirmed
I’m not sure what value we have for large planet or small star tbh
Large Planet should start at values for planets larger than Earth, so the binding energy of Neptune would probably be the minimum value to start off at that level.

For small stars, it's a bit complicated because you got stars smaller than the sun whose binding energy is way higher than it because of its overall density, such as neutral stars.

Instead of small stars, maybe dwarf stars would be a better word for that specific level?

Bifrost Calc

Edward Nygma

Illustrious
The Large Planet Level calc where it states "Bifrost output per second" is not linking properly when it is clicked.
OLF is being weird. It won't link directly to posts in OLF threads.
Edit: And I guess it doesn't like layering spoilers on top of quotes.

---Space Laser---

As @GoldenHeart points out in his meta thread; after being active for several minutes, the Bifrost begins to warp space and pull in stars. Thor, of course, breaks the Bifrost at the end of Thor 1. Fenrir and Hulk also take large chunks out of it while fighting in Ragnarok.

There might be some arguments about the exact nature of this singularity. But whatever it is, it can't generate more energetic effects (ie moving stars) than the event that created it. So it's safe to say that, over the course of the singularity's formation, the Bifrost channels the grand total GBE of the moving stars.

tl;dr: Stars < Singularity < Biforst, regardless of what the singularity is.

The bridge's durability would be something like the X * Y / Z = Bifrost durability in joules per second

X = Smallest star GBE
Y = Number of stars
Z = Time the Bifrost beam was active

The Bifrost is active for 390 seconds. I can't find a clip on YT. They all start right after Thor arrives, a couple minutes after Loki powers up the beam. It's also near impossible to get an exact count on these stars - especially with the debris flying around in frame - but my recounts average around half-a-dozen in motion.

GBE of the smallest star = 9.998 ninatons * 6 / 390 = 206.85 tenatons/second (Large Planet level)

Also, when destructive capacity reaches the tenatons range, it goes past Large Planet Level and ends up in Star Level ranges.
Yeah. I just checked, and our wiki has Small Star Level at 2.998 tenatons. My bad. I'll change that.

And, uh, speaking of SSL being 2.988 tenatons... That number is literally the lowest stellar GBE, according to the wiki. So, like, why the fuck does my calc say that the smallest star's GBE is several times smaller than that number?

The current smallest star was identified recently, in 2017. It's not impossible that I did a google and figured out the GBE of that star. But, if I did, I never wrote it down. I have no idea where that number came from.

Also...I divided out ninatons by a positive and got tenatons. That's not how math works.

Using my original stellar GBE, the number would actually be 206.85 yottatons. Which, silver lining, means I was right to put it in Large Planet Level (barely). Yay current me. Boo old calc-doing me.

Using the wiki's cited stellar GBE, the total would be 2.998 tenatons / 6 = 499.66 ninatons, Large Planet Level

Last edited:

ChaosTheory123

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
Probably that our smallest star figure was derived years before 2017 and we never looked to see if anything new came up in the interim

E

Example

Unconfirmed
Probably that our smallest star figure was derived years before 2017 and we never looked to see if anything new came up in the interim
There is a source somewhere that may give new values for what is accepted as small star, star, and large star (maybe?) level, although a problem can arise when the binding energy of a star is not always going to be consistent with its size.

See neutron stars for example.

Edward Nygma

Illustrious
Maybe. :hm

I just plugged the new(er) smallest star into a GBE calculator and got about 4.2 ninatons. Less than half the number cited in the wiki. So, again, I have no idea where I got that 9.998. The tenatons part was just me derping labels, but the actual digits have me legit confused. Maybe there's been a string of recently discovered stars and the benchmark keeps changing. Idk.

Back