• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #10: Spirit Never Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
His feud with MJF was really, really good though. Best of the year so far.
Your opinion, more power to you. Once again, the UFC stigma for me kills any hype and just makes him a joke. If you got passed that, fair enough to you, but I can't.
I can't say robotic Austin's promo was better than any promo there, no matter how much I love the guy. And Austin won't be there every week.
Fair enough, once again your opinion, and I respect it even if I disagree. As for Austin not 'being there every week', who cares? Look at the absolute garbage that DOES show every week by comparison. I'd rather take sparse Austin appearances over that any time of the year. None of that trash will ever garner my interest.
:hestonpls

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
And yes, that includes CM Punk. That guy's value is in the gutter after his talentless ass tried to pull a Brock and make it in the UFC and got steam-rolled. His stock in my eyes is in the gutter now, and I can no longer take anything he says seriously in the world of wrestling, trying to sell me on any scripted 'fights'.:russ
CsCynQXWYAAOjWS.jpg
970633906.jpg

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
MJF actually brought that up in a promo, and executed it in the way that only he can. It was great.
To you, it probably was. I will make no attempt to argue with your personal opinion, seeing as, again, you have the capacity to get passed that, whereas I do not. No amount of promos or buildup for me, regardless of who you put in the ring for it, will change my mind on Punk's punk-ass status post-mortem UFC 'career'. He ain't getting any better, or any younger, and got whooped by a tomato can, there ain't no coming back from that to me.
:hestonpls

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
It was like that at the start, but the localization I feel has a few woke moments. It might be different in other languages. For example, other translations of Finlay's profile has her fighting Radahn to death. Never giving up until the bitter end. Whereas other translations has it so she saved Malenia, and brought her back to the Haligtree.

I suspect somebody wanted to encourage lesbo shipping, and that's why. Depends on which translation is accurate.
Where exactly did you find that other translation?

Yeah I get it. You need to be selective. They do a lot of stupid and cringe shit.

But the no scripting really, really is a selling point. Austin sounded so much more robotic compared to his glory days.

I can 100% agree with the scripting issues that WWE has and Vince seriously needs to get these wrestlers to allow themselves to get over organically.

But otherwise, AEW can be too cringy for me at times with how they do their shit otherwise which usually sours the shit out of me even trying to watch it.

Nevermind

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
I can 100% agree with the scripting issues that WWE has and Vince seriously needs to get these wrestlers to allow themselves to get over organically.

But otherwise, AEW can be too cringy for me at times with how they do their shit otherwise which usually sours the shit out of me even trying to watch it.
Yeah, it is 100% the thing holding AEW back from appealing to a mainstream audience.

On the one hand they have very, very good talent. Some legit main event talent like Punk, Mox, Danielson, Omega, MJF, and so on, and promising rising stars like Hook.

But then they stick these total goofballs on the show like Orange Cassidy and now Danhausen, or put Adam Cole in the main event, and it just makes the show so much worse, along with all the terrible humor they try to put in there. It's just as bad as Vince's cringe humor, if less graphic. Sadly, both Tony Khan and the Elite share this taste in humor.

They need to understand that they have to keep these things to a bare minimum. Orange Cassidy unfortunately sells a ton of merchandise so you don't want to let him go completely, but his use needs to be very selective. You don't put him in serious matches and stories with guys like MJF and Wardlow.

If they can get rid of their deadweight and their bad humor and other odds and ends, they can have a shot at legitimately competing (which I badly want because it's good for everybody). If they don't though, they'll just be stuck as the super-indy replacement to NXT that will be the big fish in the small pond.

Yeah, it is 100% the thing holding AEW back from appealing to a mainstream audience.

On the one hand they have very, very good talent. Some legit main event talent like Punk, Mox, Danielson, Omega, MJF, and so on, and promising rising stars like Hook.

But then they stick these total goofballs on the show like Orange Cassidy and now Danhausen, or put Adam Cole in the main event, and it just makes the show so much worse, along with all the terrible humor they try to put in there. It's just as bad as Vince's cringe humor, if less graphic. Sadly, both Tony Khan and the Elite share this taste in humor.

They need to understand that they have to keep these things to a bare minimum. Orange Cassidy unfortunately sells a ton of merchandise so you don't want to let him go completely, but his use needs to be very selective. You don't put him in serious matches and stories with guys like MJF and Wardlow.

Both Companies suffer virtually the same damn problem.
WWE's problem is that they are too much of sticks in the mud to really get anything done or to make wrestlers get over organically and usually have to be forced to even give someone a shot(Now this isn't 100% true as they do TRY and give people a shot like when they did try and push Rusev during the Rusev Day stuff got over... and no one cheered for him, just the stuff got over).

And AEW's problem is that Tony doesn't realize that some people just does not fit to basically be seen as a major threat in their own right. Vince got it, Bischoff got it even Dixie on some level got it but Tony really doesn't. So you end up with wrestlers not really looking intimidating or being a threat like they should be being treated like a major threat for some reason.

If anything, if both sides decide to take the good part from each other, both would be extremely successful or atleast keep up their core audiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back