• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #10: Spirit Never Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
A lot of the problems with balancing could be fixed if armor could be upgraded like weapons can be. Since right now armor is useless in end-game, and it's impossible for any kind of tanky builds to exist. Even the best armor in the game, the Bull-Goat Armor, isn't able to manage it. Parrying is a lot more useful and broken than blocking. Which means most people are gonna stick to light armor, and get bucklers. The game favors particular builds, and that's the problem; only the most broken builds work. And yeah, you can have them even at level one. However, that's only due to how broken certain mechanics and items are.

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
Parrying for example needs to be balanced. Right now it's a crutch for people. There needs to be str or dex requirements for parrying certain attacks. If you don't meet those requirements your buckler or weapon gets knocked out the way, and you get throttled. Stats in an rpg should in fact impact the mechanics. A level one wretch with garbage STR or DEX shouldn't have the power necessary to deflect blows from literal gods.

There's obvious favoritism for certain builds, and that includes bleed and parrying. Both need to be nerfed, and the other builds buffed.

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
You either go about gameplay two ways. Make it entirely skill based, or make the mechanics reliant on how powerful the character is. The problem with From Soft is that they constantly try to do both. Instead of committing to one or the other. Which is why certain builds are favored in their games over others. There's an obvious intended way to play them, and the other methods are after thoughts. Imagine if you would if they suddenly change that? Finally commit to one? They almost did this with Sekiro but even it had upgrades that increased damage, and things like that. They tried skill based gameplay with it, but still ended up adding upgrades. Which kinda hurt that.

Also, because I think it would be funny to see people react to previously broken mechanics being fixed to rely on how powerful the character is. In order to determine the success rating of them. People try a level one run. Only for it to fall flat on its face. When all the mechanics are drastically gimped because you don't meet certain stat requirements. It would make the stats truly matter in your builds. When the effectiveness of basic mechanics like parrying and blocking change based on them.

Making it functionally impossible to block or parry attacks from end-game enemies unless you have a certain stat requirement met.

The premise being that "skill is not enough, you need power to back it up too." You still need to properly time everything, but you ALSO need to meet that requirement. That way they can have proper synergy with the RPG mechanics and the skill-based mechanics.

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
Get yourself a woman like Finlay.

j13Ebbh.png

lokoxDZz

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member
And Dunkey is right. The balancing is garbage in Elden Ring. Difficulty zig zags all over the chart. That's the major problem with it. Incredibly easy early game, fair mid-game, and incredibly hard late game. I didn't really notice it before since I avoided enemies to save resources for the bosses in the end-game areas, but now trying to 100% the game, the end-game areas are basically filled to the brim with boss-level enemies in large numbers no less. The Consecrated Snow Fields for example. There's Dragonkin everywhere. And on top that they can now teleport, and you can't see anything because of the snow. All these crazy boss level enemies also now respawn. Unlike in Leyndell. Where they die once, and then stay dead.
The entire balancing in the game isn't even that hard to fix, equips also feel so whatever i'm still using the equip i first got when i started and only upgraded my starting weapon and thats it,whatever else i got just felt irrelevant to even bother makes trying to go do optional dungeons and stuff not much rewarding if you are expecting at least some nice equipment

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member

Update on the Argo 2, finished putting the bust models on the sides and now filling the deck.

Screen-Shot-2022-03-22-at-4-56-34-PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back