• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #13: Return to Crab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
speaking of, did you see that SB got their own Discord?
:hestonpls
SB actually has two.

First is the official, now unofficial server made by CommanderRazor who lost her Super Moderator position after speaking out against Exiled Immortal.

Now the one on SB's front page is the new 'official' one with Discord Integration.

If folks want invites to the original official SB server that has been referred to several times as "the unofficial server" without being named, the Spacebattles Community (SBC) Discord server, you are welcome to PM me for said invites (I always was and remain the owner of it). Come one, come all.
And yes, it was more official than not given there was a whole subforum in StaffComm dedicated to vetting SBers (mainly being active on SB for at least a full year) and giving them invites manually to secure against socks and such (that has been deleted with the rollout of SBOID). It was intended to be a Staff-directed SB IRC spiritual successor of sorts. It was only technically separate in the sense that it wasn't held to the same standards as SB (for both practical and intended vibe reasons), so the standards were looser and getting tempbanned on SB wouldn't effect a member in SBC (only a permaban would, since it's for SBers only). Moderating SBC was always a volunteer basis for Staff for good reason; Mods have enough on their plates on SB as it is. And it obviously remains so now, since more than a few Staff still like the place themselves.
All of the above is the reason for the joke phrasing of "officially unofficial" and "unofficially official".
So a very different animal from the hundreds of properly unofficial servers started in the SB ecosphere independently by SBers on their own, such as the RP specific ones (of which I'm in several myself).

What does SBC have? There's no fancy "Firehose" type thing, nor "VIP Lounge", nor the like, but there are plenty of channels for various topics (some of the SBOID server channels look inspired by SBC's channels but with comparatively vanilla names) about 500 people have been happy with the place since 2020, and that was without building it directly into the forum nor a huge amount of advertising. And I've no intention of going anywhere, so it'll be around no matter who owns SB.
I'm also perfectly fine with putting in new channels or other things if there's either a need or a popular request in SBC for such, as had happened quite a few times already.
If you'd like to know more, feel free to ask in PMs so we're not hijacking this thread.
And if people like the place and want SBC to be known of (given it's been said by rednames that it's fine for SBers to join SBOID, SBC, both, or neither and I happen to agree), feel free to engage in some word of mouth and spread the word within reason with my blessing. After all, hard for people to be free to join if they aren't being told both that it exists, what it's called, and how to access it. Make sure to follow the rules of course, everyone.

Note, this is just me volunteering to state things clearly so folks don't have any further confusion about these matters given nobody is telepathic nor clairvoyant. This is neither hijacking (actually trying to avert such) nor anything else untoward.

Now, as for the questions about SBOID itself, I actually do have one. What is the point of the Firehose and what does it accomplish that simply Watching a thread does not?

So salty. :mjlol

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
once i got more free time, we def need to organize better the obd stream schedule at some point

we gotta level up the stream game more, originally i did it great, later, once i went into hiatus time, nihilus covered it also fine

but

it ain't enough

obd needs taste update, for several members, we gotta help the next gen, after all

peace

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Sorry man I gotta do this.

But Zeus being a 'degenerate' is a thing looked up upon by Ancient Greek culture.

In greek culture laying tons of women without their consent is a sign of power.

It's the stereotypical manly-man shit.
I wasn't asking as an ancient Greek, I was asking in a modern sense if he was always like that or did he get worse.
As far as I know, Zeus was a degenerate even under Homer, it just didn't get as bad as it did until the Romans got their hands on Zeus and other popular stories came about.
A reminder that the Olympians are meant to actually be Human-like(Which is where their vindictive streaks come in) which is why they was never truly immortal and can even age if they don't eat a certain type of fruit often to induce limited immortality.
So how bad was Zeus before the Romans and what worse got attached to him after?

So how bad was Zeus before the Romans and what worse got attached to him after?

Zeus primarily just stuck to women(and in one case, a boy... again different time periods and values) rather than animals.
Of course, it didn't stop him from turning INTO an animal and having sex with women so yeah, still a degenerate. Usually he also protected them from Hera rather than letting them face her wrath unintended(unfortunately, Heracles was fucked no matter how hard Zeus tried)

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
I wasn't asking as an ancient Greek, I was asking in a modern sense if he was always like that or did he get worse.
Every iteration of him had him pretty much fucking every hot woman around. Of course, that isn't Zeus's only trait I do hate it when people perpetuate this myth (cough, cough Riordan), since there's a reason why he's considered a God of Justice and law. And he made sure people followed Xenia(guest rights).

Like most Gods in myths and religion, there bipolar and schizophrenic due to being a mish-mash of beliefs.

Crimson Dragoon

Exceptional
Orphism was the world as said by Orpheus the musician. He said that Zeus and Persephone got together and made a child, Hera being the bitch she is gave the child to the titans who ripped him apart and ate the baby. Athena told Zeus of this and he found the titans eating his baby and smites them, the only thing left of the baby was his heart. Which Zeus used to give birth to Dionysus.

The baby’s name was Zagreus, and from the ashes of the titan’s Humans were born, with the bodies made of titans but a part of the divine spark of Zagreus making the soul.

It’s actually really interesting because I remember in Greek myth that there was a myth about how if Zeus had a godly make child, he would be more powerful and take Olympus’s rule from him. And Zagreus was said to be a king god in scriptures, though some point as this only being in the underworld. Thus making him a prototype Hades.

I don’t actually know much about Mycenaean myth’s but I’m pretty sure Ananke came about during this era. Also Posedao was the king god at some point of this era not Zeus, Posedao is like this fusion between Poseidon, Hades, and Dionysus.

Hesiod’s version is the one most know of.

Homer I think his version his similar to Hesiod’s.

Ovid’s is also, but he also rewrites myths like Medusa was actually a minor goddess before Ovid wrote her as Posiedon’s ex.

Yeah, the minor goddess thing wasn’t something Fate made up.
Orphic Dionysus/Bakkhos had a trippy segment in Virtuous Sons

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
dude a lot of ancient civ are degenerate.

Like rape, slavery, or other type of shit is not really frowned upon, people even offer underage girls to priest, king, or representative of their god. Either to get an offspring or as a sacrifice. Seriously the deeper you go into history the more degenerate shit you would see.
Which is why I respect the Ancient Jews and Medieval Christians because while of course they had their degeneracy they were different in that they were taught to frown upon such things and if they committed them it was done in spite of their teachings and at worst they were violent AF but at least they made an effort to keep themselves from acting like repugnant animals compared to most of their time.
Imagine some being that will consume your own soul if you ever go back in time and attempt to change something in your past.
Is this from an actual story? Sounds freaky and cool as hell.

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Every iteration of him had him pretty much fucking every hot woman around. Of course, that isn't Zeus's only trait I do hate it when people perpetuate this myth (cough, cough Riordan), since there's a reason why he's considered a God of Justice and law. And he made sure people followed Xenia(guest rights).

Like most Gods in myths and religion, there bipolar and schizophrenic due to being a mish-mash of beliefs.
Sorry but considering how much Zeus fucks around (literally and metaphorically) it's hard to focus on the "law and Justice" bits when he is regularly shown being a serial rapist and absent father in later myths.
Zeus primarily just stuck to women(and in one case, a boy... again different time periods and values) rather than animals.
Of course, it didn't stop him from turning INTO an animal and having sex with women so yeah, still a degenerate. Usually he also protected them from Hera rather than letting them face her wrath unintended(unfortunately, Heracles was fucked no matter how hard Zeus tried)
So Greek Zeus was a sexual deviant but at least had some care for his spouses and illegitimate children where as Roman era Zeus did not even give a fuck?

shade0180

Just a shadow
V.I.P. Member
Which is why I respect the Ancient Jews and Medieval Christians because while of course they had their degeneracy they were different in that they were taught to frown upon such things
Yea, ancient Christianity is practically too advance compared to most religion of their time. Like ancient religion still calling out for human sacrifices for their shit, and head of their opponent as war trophy. Ancient jews and medieval Christianity doesn't allow that and just use animals for sacrifices for both war and religious prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back