• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #26: Forth Eorlingas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member

Lol, twitter artists tryna say gotcha with this paper when

4.2.1 Extraction Methodology Our extraction approach adapts the methodology from prior work [11] to images and consists of two steps:

1. Generate many examples using the diffusion model in the standard sampling manner and with the known prompts from the prior section.

2. Perform membership inference to separate the model’s novel generations from those generations which are memorized training examples

Generating many images. The first step is trivial but computationally expensive: we query the Gen function in a black-box manner using the selected prompts as input. To reduce the computational overhead of our experiments, we use the timestep-resampled generation implementation that is available in the Stable Diffusion codebase [58]. This process generates images in a more aggressive fashion by removing larger amounts of noise at each time step and results in slightly lower visual fidelity at a significant (∼10×)performance increase. We generate 500 candidate images for each text prompt to increase the likelihood that we find memorization.

In order to evaluate the effectiveness of our attack, we select the 350,000 most-duplicated examples from the training dataset and generate 500 candidate images for each of these prompts (totaling 175 million generated images). We first sort all of these generated images by ordering them by the mean distance between images in the clique to identify generations that we predict are likely to be memorized training data. We then take each of these generated images and annotate each as either “extracted” or “not extracted” by comparing it to the training images under Definition 1. We find 94 images are (2,0.15)extracted. To ensure that these images not only match some arbitrary definition, we also manually annotate the top-1000 generated images as either memorized or not memorized by visual analysis, and find that a further 13 (for a total of 109 images) are near-copies of training examples even if they do not fit our 2-norm definition. Figure 3 shows a subset of the extracted images that are reproduced with near pixel-perfect accuracy; all images have an 2 difference under 0.05. (As a point of reference, re-encoding a PNG as a JPEG with quality level 50 results in an 2 difference of 0.02 on average.) Given our ordered set of annotated images, we can also compute a curve evaluating the number of extracted images to the attack’s false positive rate. Our attack is exceptionally precise: out of 175 million generated images, we can identify 50 memorized images with 0 false positives, and all our memorized images can be extracted with a precision above 50%. Figure 4 contains the precision-recall curve for both memorization definitions. Measuring (k, ,δ)-eidetic memorization. In Definition 2 we introduced an adaptation of Eidetic memorization [11] tailored to the domain of generative image models. As mentioned earlier, we compute similarity between pairs of images with a direct 2 pixel-space similarity. This analysis is computationally expensive as it requires comparing each of our memorized images against each of the 160 million training examples. We set δ = 0.1 as this threshold is sufficient to identify almost all small image corruptions (e.g., JPEG compression, small brightness/contrast adjustments) but has very few false positives. Figure 5 shows the results of this analysis. While we identify little Eidetic memorization for k < 100, this is expected due to the fact we choose prompts of highlyduplicated images. Note that at this level of duplication, the duplicated examples still make up just one in a million training examples. These results show that duplication is a major factor behind training data extraction.

El Hermano

Acclaimed
dwl0yvn7wefa1.png

?????

Copying an image is still copying an image dude and "It's not the real image, just a really really really good copy" is not a legal defense lol

This. A better legal defense would be pointing out that it's no different than Google Images or similar shit like that and would equally fall under fair use from that system onwards.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
?????

Copying an image is still copying an image dude and "It's not the real image, just a really really really good copy" is not a legal defense lol

Point is that the results are extremely cherrypicked.

First off they forced the ai into producing copies by generating millions of images, taking the most similar ones and generating based of that, hundreds of times.

Obviously if you are pushing the ai into making a single result eventually you'll get it. But the ai randomly generating a copy is a less than a million chance normally (this is stated in the paper itself) and it took millions of generations to actually get said copies.

Two the second part with making their own models is a classic case of overfitting, where a single image repeats in the dataset so many times the AI actually does start copying it. It should be noted though that this is a problem.

I myself ran into this problem when training my own model.

Here is the Huggingface page for it where you can see the four images I used to Dreambooth train SD provided by @Nevermind

When I first trained the model I put the steps to low (200) and got back these images which are copies due to not being trained long enough.

nI2GU8s_d.webp

After that I raised the training steps to 1500, and didn't adjust the training set, these are what I got back.

The ai is capable of generating concepts not in the four images and while some of the motoko images have the problem that some look similar to the original images, thats due to having a such a small training set. In a large dataset overfitting problems shouldn't really be an issue.

The reason why the lab gets these overfitted results on the other hand is because they literally train the ai on copies of the same image.

So more or less I think saying that the AI is copying is inappropriate since more accurately the lab is pushing the ai to generate copies for results. It would be way more accurate is they used a base SD model generated a bunch of images and tried to find copies in that bunch. Instead of forcing the ai to make a bunch of copies. It's like getting mad that your images is on Library Of Babel when it's at a basic level a infinite random generator that has infinite combinations and that one of those combinations just so happened to be a copy of your Image. (This isn't how library of babel actually works, but I don't want to go into detail rn)

This. A better legal defense would be pointing out that it's no different than Google Images or similar shit like that and would equally fall under fair use from that system onwards.

No, cause that is not how the ai works. The ai doesnt save images as data or latent space, it's not looking up images like Google, it's making them of 'imagination' (said imagination is equations, and prompt values, but in simple terms the ai does kinda 'imagine' the image.

Uoruk

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Point is that the results are extremely cherrypicked.

First off they forced the ai into producing copies by generating millions of images, taking the most similar ones and generating based of that, hundreds of times.

Obviously if you are pushing the ai into making a single result eventually you'll get it. But the ai randomly generating a copy is a less than a million chance normally (this is stated in the paper itself) and it took millions of generations to actually get said copies.

Two the second part with making their own models is a classic case of overfitting, where a single image repeats in the dataset so many times the AI actually does start copying it. It should be noted though that this is a problem.

I myself ran into this problem when training my own model.

Here is the Huggingface page for it where you can see the four images I used to Dreambooth train SD provided by @Nevermind

When I first trained the model I put the steps to low (200) and got back these images which are copies due to not being trained long enough.

nI2GU8s_d.webp

After that I raised the training steps to 1500, and didn't adjust the training set, these are what I got back.

The ai is capable of generating concepts not in the four images and while some of the motoko images have the problem that some look similar to the original images, thats due to having a such a small training set. In a large dataset overfitting problems shouldn't really be an issue.

The reason why the lab gets these overfitted results on the other hand is because they literally train the ai on copies of the same image.

So more or less I think saying that the AI is copying is inappropriate since more accurately the lab is pushing the ai to generate copies for results. It would be way more accurate is they used a base SD model generated a bunch of images and tried to find copies in that bunch. Instead of forcing the ai to make a bunch of copies. It's like getting mad that your images is on Library Of Babel when it's at a basic level a infinite random generator that has infinite combinations and that one of those combinations just so happened to be a copy of your Image. (This isn't how library of babel actually works, but I don't want to go into detail rn)

No, cause that is not how the ai works. The ai doesnt save images as data or latent space, it's not looking up images like Google, it's making them of 'imagination' (said imagination is equations, and prompt values, but in simple terms the ai does kinda 'imagine' the image.

I understood how it works lol but thanks

Again

"Youre honor it just imagined the image it was totally random" would not protect it from copyright law. If it just happens to produce a copyrighted image and said image is then used without the copyright holders consent its still a violation. Sure artists can't claim it's directly "stealing" from them but if it just happens to produce a Superman image in the style of any of dc's artists and someone goes on to use that in any official capacity such as advertising you can bet your ass DC's lawyers are going to hit you with the axtual anti life equation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back