• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #29: outskirts nakama dome - no snatching edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Part 1 Naruto had a neat grittiness to it from the rougher, sketchier design that was lost as Kishimoto’s art got smoother by Part 2

Goth Boy

King of the losers
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
even rave master, mashima's first project, has superior art than both nardo parts, lmao and is overall superior in quality too
But Rave Master didn't have the Akira influenced stylised realism I mentioned

Which is what Made Naruto stand out regardless on whether you like that style or not

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Mashima was self-taught when it comes to his art so props there on making his style entirely on his own.

I like his new style a lot but kind of miss his old style. The way he draws Haru these days just looks like Natsu or Shiki with silver hair and slightly different eyes.

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
i was speaking generally, for their art quality

akira influenced stylised ''realism'' and naruto ain't going together, ngl, completely dif arts, not even close for comparison, for me

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
Yeah I preferred Kishi's more detailed, dirty and somewhat messy artstyle from part 1 of Naruto. It sold the impact of shit like Zabuza's decapitation of Gato and other shit better. Same goes for the environments were Konoha looks somewhat built from random bullshit that just managed to form a village and panel layout that would occasionally have characters outside of the panel. Felt like there was more effort and heart put into it, things at least looked pretty interesting, then you compare it to pt 2 where everything feels clean and sterile.

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Nardo's art is arguably the weakest of the Big 3 but what it has going for it is , at least in part 1, pretty cool ass char designs with nice attention to detail and diversity , the real kind.
In terms of art for the HST:

One Piece = Best Locations
Naruto = Best Character Designs
Bleach = Best Outfits

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Yeah I preferred Kishi's more detailed, dirty and somewhat messy artstyle from part 1 of Naruto. It sold the impact of shit like Zabuza's decapitation of Gato and other shit better. Same goes for the environments were Konoha looks somewhat built from random bullshit that just managed to form a village and panel layout that would occasionally have characters outside of the panel. Felt like there was more effort and heart put into it, things at least looked pretty interesting, then you compare it to pt 2 where everything feels clean and sterile.
Neji giving Hinata internal bleeding, Gaara pulping dudes in sand coffins, Genjutsus by Orochimaru graphically maiming and decapitating people.

Not to mention the whole world in the beginning feeling more like real life and not everything being about ninjas: Land of Waves being a normal fishing village and the main villain of the arc being a drug dealing kingpin who’d look out of place in current Naruto / Boruto

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
naruto having better char designs than bleach? doubt it

grimmjow and urahara alone, are cooler than 99% of the nardo roster, design wise, and lets not mention the chicks, where kishi legit makes mid chicks, lmao

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Kubo fucks up character designs half the time for me. Particularly with the absolutely dumb looking transformations he comes up with.

Condom into Fairy Aizen anyone?

• Agree
Reactions: Ral

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
In fairness the other half of the time, he does pretty good with the transformations.

H2 Ichigo and Released Barragan anyone?
Barragan definitely had the best looking Release of the Espada. Nnoitra too surprisingly enough though that’s mainly because he’s such a goofy looking character to start out with.

It’s just a shame how both the Sternritters and Arrancars look much better in their base forms about half the time.

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
I would go with an average.

Kishi probably doesn't hit the highs the other two do with their chars designs, but ... he also doesn't really have big fails in that department outside Burito.

Like, some of Kubo's and Oda's char design are downright hideous. Worst i can say about pre Burito Kishi is that he has ...mid or bland char designs.

Goth Boy

King of the losers
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
Barragan definitely had the best looking Release of the Espada. Nnoitra too surprisingly enough though that’s mainly because he’s such a goofy looking character to start out with.

It’s just a shame how both the Sternritters and Arrancars look much better in their base forms about half the time.
Kubo's characters for most part looked the best in street wear for some reason

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Stark's is good too, albeit a little basic and Grimmjow's is up there as well.
Yeah it is a shame.
at the end of the day

we all might have dif taste, but prime akira in the og db (both parts), we all can agree that they are still top tier levels
Oh absolutely, Prime Akira bodies all three.

There's a reason they all take inspiration from Dragon Ball in some way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back