• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #29: outskirts nakama dome - no snatching edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
Wp8z-I.gif

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member

Jesus Christ! :smh

Every point the article made was stupid but damn, the "knight charges were pathetic" thing really irks me in particular, because even a cursory look into a lot of notable medieval battles and more specifically how they ENDED dispels that notion entirely.

I blame media like big movies almost always portraying Knights getting skewered too many times on pikes or Spearmen because the protagonists are the "underdogs" who need to beat the heavy cavalry and almost never showing just how devastating Knight Charges were as those few examples were rare for a reason.
I mean ask the Ottomans at the Siege of Vienna how shit cavalry charges are? How about Saladin's forces at the battle of Montgisard? The Battle of Hastings? Hell you can even look as late as the NAPOLEONIC era for examples of extremely effective cavalry charges.
Would not use the Winged Hussers exactly since they are more an evolution of the Knight but you can look at the Battle of Muret as another example of how an army composed almost entirely of Knights and Cavalry could destroy an army with both Infantry and Cavalry on it's own to show how devastating their charges can be.
Just because they didn't always work and there were ways of combating it, didn't change the fact that Cavalry Charges were absolutely game changers and it's fucking asanine to pretend otherwise. How these idiots who make these articles even get these ideas in their heads is beyond me.
Just shitheads looking for clicks really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back