• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #43: Merry Christmas, You Filthy Animals

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_6443.jpg

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
@NostalgiaFan

Just finished the American version of Godzilla.

Was better than I expected. Gets like an 7/10 from me.

My bones to pick with it are.

-The movie being narrated like a documentary took me out. One of the good parts about the original was that you get invested in the narrative and how it feels like it's happening at the same time your watching.

It being narrated changed that into feeling like something that already happened which lessened the impact.

-Audio seemingly being muted. It wasn't noticable in the first half, but during the scene where the mother is crying with her children during Godzilla's rampage, I could barely hear anything, this isn't a problem in the original version so I'm pretty sure this was the movie.

-Serizawa's role being reduced. He went from a soldier who lost an eye in WW2, who then became a scientist to do some good in the world only to find something just as bad as a nuke. To Martin's scientist friend.

It wasn't a lot but the movie omitted the fact that he fought in WW2, which was where he lost his eye and him suddenly deciding to show Emiko his research when in the original Emiko questioned him a bit before he did.

-cutting Yamane's final line about how nuclear testing may give birth to another Godzilla. Very corny yes but it's an important line that harkens back to the themes of the movie, removing it is basically omitting the original theme of the movie.

-Finally, Ohto Island residents all being shown as superstitious natives when in the original Godzilla was only a folktale that a single person still believed.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
However its not all bad. Steven Martin isn't as bad of a character as I expected.

And I kinda liked the take this movie had on Godzilla being a spectacle.

Also giving Serizawa's sacrifice a somber tone unlike the original.

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
That feeling when you try to watch JRPG speedruns and inevitably the commentary always turns to shitting on the story of the games, usually amounting to the commentators having not payed attention to the story and saying it's the game's fault they're confused when it isn't more often than not. :smh

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
That feeling when you try to watch JRPG speedruns and inevitably the commentary always turns to shitting on the story of the games, usually amounting to the commentators having not payed attention to the story and saying it's the game's fault they're confused when it isn't more often than not. :smh
I go to speedruns simply for the run itself, and not for the runner's god awful knowledge on a game's story. I try my best to simply ignore any comments in that direction, no matter how obnoxiously annoying they may get.

Admittedly, I do fail at this myself sometimes, as some are just that dumb that even I can't help but openly question their IQ, but you know. :mjpls

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I go to speedruns simply for the run itself, and not for the runner's god awful knowledge on a game's story. I try my best to simply ignore any comments in that direction, no matter how obnoxiously annoying they may get.
Admittedly, I do fail at this myself sometimes, as some are just that dumb that even I can't help but openly question their IQ, but you know. :mjpls
If the criticisms were valid it wouldn't bother me, it just tends to lean more often than not into "idiots that didn't pay attention territory".

Like "what's up with the Laguna flashback/dream sequences in Final Fantasy VIII? We don't know." 🤷‍♂️

Let's see we have a game whose entire plot is facilitated by time shenanigans, gee I wonder what's causing that? I'm also pretty sure it's directly explained later in the game, but you know "no one really understands Final Fantasy VIII right"? :maybe

Like I have problems with FFVIII's story but that part works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back