• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #8: Still New Year, Lets go full force for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
There are a few super robot shows I like but when it comes to the mecha stuff, I always liked the grittier, more down to earth ones with a focus on military and worldbuilding. It why I loved 8th MS Team with its focus on the daily life of soldiers and realistic take on war.
I don't see how we can't have something to change up the pace occasionally tbh.
G Gundam is THE Gundam for me because its the only Gundam I know and everything else just never interested me as much as it did
Mark Gatha's A+ screams are a reason to watch it alone. Bastard decided to become a doctor and move up in the world. How selfish can you get man:skully.

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
You made the meme didnt you
rxjuP8v.jpg

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member

You guys know how people like me started to appreciate Spiderman 3 years later in spite of it's flaws, well weirdly I have been feeling the same about TASM2, somewhat. Basically yes the film suffers the same issues 3 had and than some but with a less experienced director at the helm it did not turn out as well and was a bit more of a mess. The attempts to force in a Cinematic universe which was popular at the time for everyone to do were just too blatant and got in the way of the story line and characters and their paths were rushed in and made the plot feel too convoluted and badly paced. I would say for these reasons TASM 2 suffers worse than Spiderman 3 does, however I was surprised how most of the issues I had with it were there from when I first watched and yet I found more to like instead of more to dislike in my rewatch.

One thing that is off from the first Amazing film is the tone being more lighter and campy like the Raimi films were compared to the more serious and grounded tone it had before. Sometimes it even went as far as feeling almost Schumacher-like with Electro in the start which I will admit were going pretty far, but I felt like a lot of it helped Garfield to capture Spidey's more joking side better and speaking of that I love how they did Spidey's abilities here, scenes like the first scene we see him in action along with the first fight against Electro and than the final battle are great and in my opinion, match up to the best of Raimi's trilogy. The film visually looks great even today and while different from the first film's more grounded look I prefer it as it still feels darker and grounded in some areas but also more comic book like without feeling cartoony and shallow like so many MC flicks do. Peter and Gwen's relationship is as great here as it is in the first and they continue to make me both like and care for their characters which helps to make the climax and Gwen's death hit hard like it should, even if it may have felt rushed to have it happen this soon it at least is one of the film's better played out story lines. Unfortunately most of the film's plot lines are either underdeveloped or only there as teasers for future productions that never came to be, as if forcing in characters and events for later does not pay off if you blow your wad too early. At least it's not BVS tier bad but it is still a mess that brings the film down when it could have been far greater, especially in regards to he villains who suffer even worse in development than the ones in 3 did.

I honestly liked what they were going for with Electro overall with him longing to be recognized by others who care enough for him and feeling like Spiderman was that person only for his mental issues combined with his new powers causing him to feel betrayed and lash out. I just wish he got a redemption like so many other villains before him did instead of just getting taken out to presumably feature in future films. Harry suffers as bad here in that he should have at least been talked about before coming into the story as Peter's Friend and his story line of trying to prevent himself from dying should have been better explained because we only know his "Goblin disease" killed his father in his old age, his paranoia felt too rushed and illogical along with his hatred of Spiderman for not helping him when the execs of Osborn's company did more to outright harm him than Spidey ever did. At least the film is entertaining either in spite or even because of the convoluted story lines in that I almost never felt bored so it may have been a wreck but it was fun wreck to watch. Han Zimmer's score here was also better than I remember and felt more like classic film scores than the typical Dark Knight rip offs he seems intent to use over and over nowadays.

Basically this film is the worst example of Sony fucking up their own product due to getting greedy and overly ambitious. If they had chilled out on their attempts to make a "Cinematic Universe" and just let Webb direct his damn movie with only slight hints on what was to come it would have turned out far better. I really do hope Garfield can get his second chance to play the character after NWH and Webb can finish the trilogy he wanted in the first place.

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
It's either Gundam IBO, or Gundam 00 for me.
The old stuff has animated so dated that it hurts my eyes to watch some of them. The movies and the OVAs are bearable, although the 08th MS team piqued my interest a bit after watching a couple episodes of it.
IBO was one of the most boring and wasteful series I ever had to sit through.

Rev97

Illustrious
Another Bible figure I always liked was Ehud and the story of how he killed King Eglon

63537dcd590a54448a5961c0bac84c5d.jpg

Before meeting the king, his bodyguards checked Ehud’s left thigh where one usually draws their sword from.

Turns out, Ehud was left-handed and kept his blade hidden on his right thigh which he used to slaughter the king after telling him “He had a message from God for him.”

Rev97

Illustrious
That’s the other reason why this story stuck in my head. The guy was so fat the sword completely sunk into his gut after Ehud ran it through him and he had to leave it behind. The imagery is disgusting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back