• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #9: The Sith Never Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
Basically. As I have grown up, it really does dawn on you how absolute shit having nothing to contrast bleakness just becomes fucking pointless and stupid.
To only focus on negativity because destroys your creative outlook and makes you like Anno where the man suffered breakdowns due to it.
There's a reason why I have seen people say Attack on Titan died the second they removed the Titans and tried to go Grey and Grey because there's no way in fuck you can make a conflict like that make sense without ultimately just making the entire story shit(which is what happened).
You need to have actual contrast to the darker issues or otherwise, no one is going to fucking care about your story(Again Attack on Titan, I have seen plenty of people refuse to watch series like this because when you just continuously kill characters for shock value, why get attached to ANY of them?)
Granted with a good author a completely dark and edgy story can work but only if there are moments where the characters get a reprieve and hope and happiness shines through as it makes those moments stand out all the more. The same can be said for the opposite as well

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
FLReYc6WQAUfJou

I blame GOT for this shit more than anything. There is a reason when it ended, badly I might add, that the whole cultural impact it had vanished into thin air and all that people had to say about it was how trash it was.

I absolutely agree and the worst part is that the damn show nor the books themselves was never that bleak until the later seasons. But hey, let's pretend that human suffering is true art.

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
I absolutely agree and the worst part is that the damn show nor the books themselves was never that bleak until the later seasons. But hey, let's pretend that human suffering is true art.
The show runners unironically thought the Red Wedding was the series peak because of its impact and had to one up it every time despite the fact that just getting people to scream online about "muh character's dead" is only shock value, not a determination that your stories good.

shade0180

Just a shadow
V.I.P. Member
He does realize there's a such thing as too much right?
Like how does that help with the flow of the scene or ultimately the length of the pages themselves?
Focus on the fucking story first BEFORE the actions scenes, you dumbass. This shit alone isn't going to keep attention on your book when people have little reason as to WHY to care.
also a four page spread is nothing new. It has been done in the past.

:kannasip

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
The show runners unironically thought the Red Wedding was the series peak because of its impact and had to one up it every time despite the fact that just getting people to scream online about "muh character's dead" is only shock value, not a determination that your stories good.

While I haven't and don't intend to read the series, it's my understanding that the Red Wedding was such a major event not only for its shock value, but also for it being when Martin revealed his hand on what the series was going to be. It also had massive in-story consequences that continue throughout the series.

So if the show writers purely focused on the shock value they've largely missed the point, it seems :hm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back