• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #9: The Sith Never Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
There's a big complaint I have with Elden Ring so far, and that's a lot of the bosses are literal copies of other ones. And there's a lot of stinkers. The emphasis on quantity over quality has hurt boss enemies in this game. Especially the ones you find in the wild. Which leads to my next complaint. It needed to be smaller. The world is a whole lot of beautiful nothing.

Ruins and their stock reward chest? The most surprising thing is when a chest transports you elsewhere. Otherwise, it's free loot.

Tombs and dungeons? Once again, they feel copy and pasted with only a few differences depending on where you are.

The best part of the world are the characters you meet but they're far away from each other, and all you have between them are enemies and random assortments of loot or ingredients to collect. The world feels vacant. The side activities seem like distractions. A good way to grind but after your tenth ruin or dungeon you begin to notice the annoying amount of similarities.

Which gets more jarring because the main quest and everything associated with it is great. Handcrafted to perfection. The filler in-betweeen feels procedurally generated. The exception being villages and towns. Which feel like they were also handcrafted, and have a lot of meat to them. Say for example there was this village where everyone was driven insane by the frenzied flame. That was good and tells us more about the effect of the Three Fingers on the world.

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
@OtherGalaxy

The first mages in Elden Ring practiced something called the primeval current. Which involved transforming people into the seeds of stars.

Taken from the entry on Graven-Mass Talisman.

A talisman depicting the first school of graven mages — a nightmare that would continue to haunt the academy.

Greatly raises potency of sorceries.

The primeval current is a forbidden tradition of glintstone sorcery. To those who cleave to its teachings, the act of collecting sorcerers to fashion them into the seeds of stars is but another path of scientific inquiry.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
@OtherGalaxy

The first mages in Elden Ring practiced something called the primeval current. Which involved transforming people into the seeds of stars.

Taken from the entry on Graven-Mass Talisman.

A talisman depicting the first school of graven mages — a nightmare that would continue to haunt the academy.

Greatly raises potency of sorceries.

The primeval current is a forbidden tradition of glintstone sorcery. To those who cleave to its teachings, the act of collecting sorcerers to fashion them into the seeds of stars is but another path of scientific inquiry.
holy shit

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
holy shit
The shamans are also heavily implied to use the primeval current as well. You find them underground, and the ruin that was once their home is brimming with stars. It's where you encounter the Ancestor Spirit.

Where they seem to have even begun crafting a nebula or something. This all underground in the Siofra River Depths.

m3ggipr.png

uS7oh4H.png

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
Also, I am fairly confident those other Erdtrees we see are from parallel worlds. When we fight the Elden Beast, and that's to indicate that the Greater Will has an influence on all of them. Suggesting multiversal range at least.

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
According to Sellen, the one who teaches you magecraft, the entire basis of glintstone energy is literally the life force of the stars themselves. Idk if that in itself means anything power wise but it certainly adds to the general cosmic feel of everything

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
According to Sellen, the one who teaches you magecraft, the entire basis of glintstone energy is literally the life force of the stars themselves. Idk if that in itself means anything power wise but it certainly adds to the general cosmic feel of everything
I saved that by the way. Sellen is even trying to revive the primeval current with the help of Lusat.

4o0w2Hg.png
vYlVZpv.png

CenP33v.png

i4zRHN7.png

JAmuRmA.png

dec1KTI.png

qbf9hX1.png

tOInKZP.png

lokoxDZz

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member
There's a big complaint I have with Elden Ring so far, and that's a lot of the bosses are literal copies of other ones. And there's a lot of stinkers. The emphasis on quantity over quality has hurt boss enemies in this game. Especially the ones you find in the wild. Which leads to my next complaint. It needed to be smaller. The world is a whole lot of beautiful nothing.

Ruins and their stock reward chest? The most surprising thing is when a chest transports you elsewhere. Otherwise, it's free loot.

Tombs and dungeons? Once again, they feel copy and pasted with only a few differences depending on where you are.

The best part of the world are the characters you meet but they're far away from each other, and all you have between them are enemies and random assortments of loot or ingredients to collect. The world feels vacant. The side activities seem like distractions. A good way to grind but after your tenth ruin or dungeon you begin to notice the annoying amount of similarities.

Which gets more jarring because the main quest and everything associated with it is great. Handcrafted to perfection. The filler in-betweeen feels procedurally generated. The exception being villages and towns. Which feel like they were also handcrafted, and have a lot of meat to them. Say for example there was this village where everyone was driven insane by the frenzied flame. That was good and tells us more about the effect of the Three Fingers on the world.
Reuses/Reskins are always a problem,i wouldn't have minded if they had delayed just to make more new enemies/bosses/places instead of reusing/copy pasting shit so much, filling the world with more relevant stuff would be good too

I doubt anyone would truly complain if the devs came out and said "we are delaying becuase we felt that we were reusing too much models so we are going to create new ones and add new things to mobs and adding more relevant things to the world so the experience feel the best possible""

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
The shamans are also heavily implied to use the primeval current as well. You find them underground, and the ruin that was once their home is brimming with stars. It's where you encounter the Ancestor Spirit.

Where they seem to have even begun crafting a nebula or something. This all underground in the Siofra River Depths.

m3ggipr.png

uS7oh4H.png
Yeah as far as I know both the Eternal Cities have these star filled "skies" despite being underground, and Mohg's domain also has them which is why I had initially thought Mohg created his own realm full of stars
Also, I am fairly confident those other Erdtrees we see are from parallel worlds. When we fight the Elden Beast, and that's to indicate that the Greater Will has an influence on all of them. Suggesting multiversal range at least.
That's what I was thinking too but I don't even know much lore on what the Erdtree even is yet to begin with. For example we know it hasn't always existed, because the Ancient Dragons predate it (and tried to destroy it at one point).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back