• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #9: The Sith Never Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
That's what the Empryean's are, candidates to replace Marika. Or rather candidates to lead the Golden Order because Marika was one as well. All of the Empryeans had the favor of the Two Fingers because they were chosen.
Nope. It's a catch all term for something divine. And Gowry explicitly has his own agenda, and is twisting the truth in Millicent's quest-line. Becoming a full god isn't synonymous with becoming a vessel for the Elden Ring like Ranni could have. Completely different things. He even tries to have you kill Millicent, and help her sisters instead.
And for things not lining up, the Gloam Eyed Goddess and her followers are both associated with Those who Live in Death (whose purpose opposes Ranni's) and have diametrically opposed powers (fire to lunar ice).
Everything is lining up. You're over thinking this, and forgetting what the definition of empyrean is. We know for a fact that Ranni was killed by Maliketh, that she stole the Rune of Death, created the Godskin Apostles, and had the Black Knives assassinate Godwyn. Those Who Live in Death are not opposed to Ranni. They are opposed to Maliketh.
No, they don't. Again it is explicit that only Ranni, Malenia, and Miquella held the title of Empryean. Gowry says as much during the quest, that the Empryean is born to forge a new order. Its distinct from just being a demigod.
Yes, they do. Blaidd was explicitly made by the Two Fingers to watch over Ranni. As she was to be the successor. Not anybody else. However, she decided to be a little shit about it and ruin everything for everyone forever.
No, Empryean is a demi-God born with the capacity to become a real god and take over the Golden Order (or replace it apparently but the Two Fingers don't want that)
Which was Gowry referring to them achieving full godhood via the scarlet rot, and it not having anything to do with the Elden Beast. It was a matter of opinion on his part that the scarlet rot transformed them into true gods. Since he was one of the crazies who worshiped it. Completely different things.
All he claims is that when the scarlet rot flowers again Malenia will become a true goddess, not that it's the only way one can do so. And during the same quest he specifically says that Malenia and Miquella were born Empryeans to replace Marika.
Nope, he makes it clear that this is a completely different thing he's talking about that doesn't have anything to with the Elden Beast. Instead it was about his point of view that only those with the scarlet rot were true gods. Which is a case of him being objectively wrong.
Malenia and Miquella explicitly did qualify to replace her and were born for that exact purpose. Malenia can ascend by way of the scarlet rot for some reason, but that just appears to be her own peculiarity.
No, they weren't. Ranni was the one who had the favor of the Two Fingers. They did not, and only Malenia could achieve full godhood but that has nothing to do with replacing Marika as the vessel for the Elden Beast.

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
And after checking around I saw it pointed out that all three Empryeans are apparently being manipulated or at least guided to some extent by an Outer One.
Miquella isn't being controlled by anyone. If anything he has been pulling the strings, and even attempted to branch away from everyone by creating his own Erdtree known as the Haligtree.
Formless Mother is trying to control Miquella through Mohg, the "Dark Moon" appears to be a separate entity guiding Ranni, and there is an actual Goddess of Rot behind Malenia as well.
She isn't being possessed by some other goddess. She became a full goddess as a result of the Tarnished forcing the scarlet rot to bloom for a third time. She went from demigod to god.
As a side note Ranni and Marika can both get bent I'm going all in on the Dung Eater curse :tupac
The only right answer is Gold Mask.

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Nope. It's a catch all term for something divine. And Gowry explicitly has his own agenda, and is twisting the truth in Millicent's quest-line. Becoming a full god isn't synonymous with becoming a vessel for the Elden Ring like Ranni could have. Completely different things. He even tries to have you kill Millicent, and help her sisters instead.

No, it isn't. Empryean is explicitly distinct from being a simple demi-God, and again we hear early in Ranni's quest line that there are only three of them: Ranni, Malenia, and Miquella. The others are never referred to by that title.

Everything is lining up. You're over thinking this, and forgetting what the definition of empyrean is. We know for a fact that Ranni was killed by Maliketh, that she stole the Rune of Death, created the Godskin Apostles, and had the Black Knives assassinate Godwyn. Those Who Live in Death are not opposed to Ranni. They are opposed to Maliketh.

No to basically all of this.

Empryean is explicitly distinct from being just a demi-God, Ranni killed herself, Malekith killed the Gloam-Eyed Goddess well before the Shattering which is why he even had the Rune at all, and the Godskin apostles have nothing to do with Ranni at all.

Those Who Live in Death want to repair the Elden Ring using the Mending Rune they created with Godwyns death, and Ranni wants to completely remove the Golden Order to create her own. They are at complete cross purposes.

Yes, they do. Blaidd was explicitly made by the Two Fingers to watch over Ranni. As she was to be the successor. Not anybody else. However, she decided to be a little shit about it and ruin everything for everyone forever.

No. Malenia and Miquella were both born Empryean to be potential successors to Marika.

Which was Gowry referring to them achieving full godhood via the scarlet rot, and it not having anything to do with the Elden Beast. It was a matter of opinion on his part that the scarlet rot transformed them into true gods. Since he was one of the crazies who worshiped it. Completely different things.

No, it was literally "this is what an Empryean is" followed by "as soon as I saw Malenia bloom the rot I chose her to follow". Miquella has nothing to do with the rot and is also an Empryean. Same for Ranni.

And them being the three Empryeans comes from Ranni's quest line, not Gowry.

Nope, he makes it clear that this is a completely different thing he's talking about that doesn't have anything to with the Elden Beast. Instead it was about his point of view that only those with the scarlet rot were true gods. Which is a case of him being objectively wrong.

He refers to both Malenia and Miquella as Empryeans despite Miquella not having anything to do with the rot, and again he isnt the only source as Ranni herself explains what the Empryeans are.

No, they weren't. Ranni was the one who had the favor of the Two Fingers. They did not, and only Malenia could achieve full godhood but that has nothing to do with replacing Marika as the vessel for the Elden Beast.

Yes, they did. Because that's what the Empryeans are.

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Miquella isn't being controlled by anyone. If anything he has been pulling the strings, and even attempted to branch away from everyone by creating his own Erdtree known as the Haligtree.

Hence "through Mohg", who serves the Formless Mother.

She isn't being possessed by some other goddess. She became a full goddess as a result of the Tarnished forcing the scarlet rot to bloom for a third time. She went from demigod to god.

She's only done it twice when we kill her though. First time was Rahdan and second time is against us. A third time would have elevated her but she never got the chance

The only right answer is Gold Mask.

A CURSED BLESSING TO ALL

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
@Atem

Yo hold up, turns out I forgot something kind of important in that dialogue about the Empryeans.

Here's the clip first of all

So each of the Empryeans has their own Two Fingers, apparently. Which....raises other questions.

Also this is where she confirms that she was the one who killed herself, since "mine own Empryean flesh" can only be her with Malenia and Miquella still alive.

Also Ranni actually isn't an Empryean anymore, so apparently the title can be taken back

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
No, it isn't. Empryean is explicitly distinct from being a simple demi-God, and again we hear early in Ranni's quest line that there are only three of them: Ranni, Malenia, and Miquella. The others are never referred to by that title.
Literally the only person who says this is a schizo obsessed with swamps. Gowry feels that way but nobody else has a hard on for them like he does. Except maybe Hidetaka Miyazaki. Empyrean in the "true or full god" sense, and not the "they could become a vessel for the Elden Beast" sense. That was only Ranni.

No to basically all of this.
And you would be wrong yet again.
Empryean is explicitly distinct from being just a demi-God, Ranni killed herself, Malekith killed the Gloam-Eyed Goddess well before the Shattering which is why he even had the Rune at all, and the Godskin apostles have nothing to do with Ranni at all.
This is never stated to be the case, and the Godskin Apostles continue to be active even after her death. Which is easily explained by the fact she is actually still alive, and living in the body of a doll. Maliketh never lost all of it. Only part of the Rune of Death was stolen. A "fragment" of it, and Maliketh then bound his sword in his flesh to prevent the rest of it from being stolen.

QGRVtG5.png

Those Who Live in Death want to repair the Elden Ring using the Mending Rune they created with Godwyns death, and Ranni wants to completely remove the Golden Order to create her own. They are at complete cross purposes.
The Godskin Apostles are not even aligned with Those Who Live in Death, and the Black Knives got their portion of the Rune of Death from Ranni. It has only been stolen once. Since immediately after that? Maliketh sealed the blade with his own flesh and blood to prevent anyone from taking it again. How did they steal it again when it become impossible after the first time?

It was only stolen once, and just once. After that? There were no other instances of theft.
No. Malenia and Miquella were both born Empryean to be potential successors to Marika.
Neither Malenia or Miquella had the protection or services of someone like Blaidd or Maliketh.
No, it was literally "this is what an Empryean is" followed by "as soon as I saw Malenia bloom the rot I chose her to follow". Miquella has nothing to do with the rot and is also an Empryean. Same for Ranni.
That's precisely why Gowry is full of it, and it was the point I was trying to make to begin with. He doesn't know what he's talking about, and is speaking out from a personal bias of his in regards to the scarlet rot and Malenia.
And them being the three Empryeans comes from Ranni's quest line, not Gowry.
Gowry literally says that she was Empyrean and beyond the demigods because of the scarlet rot. Which puts his judgement into question.
He refers to both Malenia and Miquella as Empryeans despite Miquella not having anything to do with the rot, and again he isnt the only source as Ranni herself explains what the Empryeans are.
Gowry doesn't refer to Miquella as an Empyrean. He only says as such for Malenia, and it's specifically because of the scarlet rot. Word-for-word this is what he says later on in the quest:

"Queen Marika and her King Consort Radagon were blessed with twin demigods, and Malenia was one of them. She was born an Empyrean, carrying the scarlet rot."
Yes, they did. Because that's what the Empryeans are.
Nope. You keep on confusing two completely different things. Being a full god =/= having the favor of the Two Fingers, and being a vessel of the Elden Beast.

Hence "through Mohg", who serves the Formless Mother.
I question whether the Formless Mother is even real, and not just one of Miquella's tricks. Since he had the power over the minds of others since childhood.
She's only done it twice when we kill her though. First time was Rahdan and second time is against us. A third time would have elevated her but she never got the chance
The second phase literally has her become the goddess of rot. Which means she must have used it more than once before. That whole part of the fight wouldn't make sense otherwise.
A CURSED BLESSING TO ALL
Miss me with that Dung Eater stanning.
Yo hold up, turns out I forgot something kind of important in that dialogue about the Empryeans.

Here's the clip first of all

So each of the Empryeans has their own Two Fingers, apparently. Which....raises other questions.

Also this is where she confirms that she was the one who killed herself, since "mine own Empryean flesh" can only be her with Malenia and Miquella still alive.

Also Ranni actually isn't an Empryean anymore, so apparently the title can be taken back
I am skeptical of how much she is saying is even true here. Since it's clear that she was involved with the assassination of Godwyn because the Rune of Death was only stolen once. And that never happened again. Which means the Black Knives could only have ever gotten it from her. Since Maliketh sealed his black sword in his flesh afterwards. I don't trust a word that she says, and Blaidd is always going to back her up no matter what happens due to his loyalty. The reason it can be taken back is because it has nothing to do with their divinity like Gowry thinks it does. The quality of being a proper vessel for the Elden Beast involves something else.

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Literally the only person who says this is a schizo obsessed with swamps. Gowry feels that way but nobody else has a hard on for them like he does. Except maybe Hidetaka Miyazaki. Empyrean in the "true or full god" sense, and not the "they could become a vessel for the Elden Beast" sense. That was only Ranni.

Everyone who talks about ths Empryeans says this. There is never once anywhere an indication that the Empryeans are anything but the potential successors, and it's only those three ever called it.

And you would be wrong yet again.

Not even remotely how this is shaping up :catskully

This is never stated to be the case, and the Godskin Apostles continue to be active even after her death. Which is easily explained by the fact she is actually still alive, and living in the body of a doll. Maliketh never lost all of it. Only part of the Rune of Death was stolen. A "fragment" of it, and Maliketh then bound his sword in his flesh to prevent the rest of it from being stolen.

QGRVtG5.png

Yes it was. Ranni explicitly killed herself with the rune, it had nothing to do with Malekith. He got the Rune from the Gloam Eyed Goddess, who Marika had him kill as his only task.

The Godskin apostles never had anything to do with Ranni in the first place, of course her death didn't effect them. There literally isnt a single thing connecting them.

The Godskin Apostles are not even aligned with Those Who Live in Death, and the Black Knives got their portion of the Rune of Death from Ranni. It has only been stolen once. Since immediately after that? Maliketh sealed the blade with his own flesh and blood to prevent anyone from taking it again. How did they steal it again when it become impossible after the first time?

What? The Godskin apostles literally drew their power from the Destined Death, which is what Those who Live in Death serve.

And the rune was taken by Malekith from the Gloam Eyed Goddess as his only task, which is when he killed her. And Malekith never recovered the stolen portion because you can literally pick it up yourself later.

It was only stolen once, and just once. After that? There were no other instances of theft.

You're ignoring Malekiths own taking of the Rune from the Gloam Eyed Goddess.

Neither Malenia or Miquella had the protection or services of someone like Blaidd or Maliketh.

So? They were still Empryeans.

That's precisely why Gowry is full of it, and it was the point I was trying to make to begin with. He doesn't know what he's talking about, and is speaking out from a personal bias of his in regards to the scarlet rot and Malenia.

Gowry isn't the only source, Ranni herself and the in-game items all make it explicit that there are only three Empryeans and it's the three of them.

Gowry literally says that she was Empyrean and beyond the demigods because of the scarlet rot. Which puts his judgement into question.

Which is why I said "the three of them being Empryeans comes from Ranni's quest, not Gowry".

Gowry doesn't refer to Miquella as an Empyrean. He only says as such for Malenia, and it's specifically because of the scarlet rot. Word-for-word this is what he says later on in the quest:

"Queen Marika and her King Consort Radagon were blessed with twin demigods, and Malenia was one of them. She was born an Empyrean, carrying the scarlet rot."

Eh, fair enough. Not how I read his statement but irrelevant because we have....literally everything else about the Empryeans.

Nope. You keep on confusing two completely different things. Being a full god =/= having the favor of the Two Fingers, and being a vessel of the Elden Beast.

Again, this is explicitly and directly contradicted by literally every reference to the purpose of the Empryeans. From Gowry, from Ranni, and from the in-game items. There are only three, and it's those three.

I question whether the Formless Mother is even real, and not just one of Miquella's tricks. Since he had the power over the minds of others since childhood.

Miquella pretty clearly didnt want anything to do with Mohg, so it wouldn't make much sense for him to have manufactured an Old One out of whole cloth just to mess with him.

The second phase literally has her become the goddess of rot. Which means she must have used it more than once before. That whole part of the fight wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Maybe the title is being dramatic :zaru

Miss me with that Dung Eater stanning.

YOU CANNOT ESCAPE THE CURSED BLESSING

I am skeptical of how much she is saying is even true here. Since it's clear that she was involved with the assassination of Godwyn because the Rune of Death was only stolen once. And that never happened again. Which means the Black Knives could only have ever gotten it from her. Since Maliketh sealed his black sword in his flesh afterwards. I don't trust a word that she says, and Blaidd is always going to back her up no matter what happens due to his loyalty. The reason it can be taken back is because it has nothing to do with their divinity like Gowry thinks it does. The quality of being a proper vessel for the Elden Beast involves something else.

Again, you can literally go pick up that piece of the death rune yourself. Ranni killed herself and then lost the rune in the process, she had nothing to do with the Black Knives.

Malekith never recovered the rune after the theft, it's still out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back