Rate the last movie you watched

Galan

Preeminent
Rate the last movie you watched.
Movie Name : Mission Impossible : Dead Reckoning Part 1 :
Score : 8/10 .
Good movie bundled with great action scenes. Story was interesting. Tom Cruise nailed his role. Hayley Atwell was good addition to the cast. Rebecca Ferguson should have had more screening time.

Reactions: Ral

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Movie Name: Freelance (2023)
Score: 4.5/10

Between Dwayne Johnson and John Cena, I'm not sure which one takes the cake as an actor who seems outright bored and just in it to keep their pockets loaded. It's like watching them in the multiverse with the same style of acting and demeanor lol. This is probably due to the years they spent in entertainment through wrestling before transitioning to film. While Dwayne Johnson didn't play a part in this movie whatsoever, you can obviously see John Cena in this one, and he takes on a rather uninspiring role. One of the other characters in the movie, whom I won't spoil, actually delivered a more engaging performance than Cena did, if I'm being honest. I was hoping to see more from Cena.
Rate the last movie you watched.
Movie Name : Mission Impossible : Dead Reckoning Part 1 :
Score : 8/10 .
Good movie bundled with great action scenes. Story was interesting. Tom Cruise nailed his role. Hayley Atwell was good addition to the cast. Rebecca Ferguson should have had more screening time.
Can't wait for part 2 ngl :catjamn

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
Asteroid City
??/10

Strange movie, a lot to think about. I don't know that it moved me exactly, but there's a lot it does narratively that impressed me. Think it's Wes Anderson's most complicated film, and it looks fantastic.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
Just gonna throw in various movies I saw in 2023 as well

Excalibur (1981): 10/10, a new all time favorite. Visual perfection, and despite critics maligning the lack of character development, I feel anything but that. Boorman did not want to focus on individual characters instead of the flow of time, but the characters' lives are still written and as a result the character can immediately intuit and ruminate on what they've been going through and experienced in the large leaps forward in time periods. Also one of my favorite climaxes of any movie I've ever seen. Can't praise this one enough.

Stalker (1979): 7/10 First Tarkovsky film I've seen, was honestly slightly underwhelmed, but at the same time there is a great deal to think about and interpret from the film's final stretch. He's widely considered one of the greatest directors of all time, so I think I need to give some of his other movies a try and see how they gel with me. Could definitely be missing something here.

Eraserhead (1977): Despite being a huge David Lynch fan I somehow never watched this. Actually haven't finished it yet but for all its surrealism it really captures the feeling of being a stranger to a new family, struggles of raising a child and so on.

Barbie (2023): 7/10 Was hoping it would be a bit more ambitious, but it was still ultimately enjoyable and the depression of parenthood scenes hit the hardest. Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling rule (I am Drive's strongest soldier) so even if it sucked I would've enjoyed it just for them. I wanted it to be the Transformers: Dark of the Moon of Barbie toys but it didn't quite hit those deranged highs.

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (2023): 6/10 A frustrating movie that has plenty of enjoyable moments but never reaches the completely deranged denseness and chaos of the Bay movies, while also not really delivering hard enough on the more down to earth aspects and ultimately feels too influenced by the MCU craze even if I prefer it to most of those. The human lead this time around is funny as hell though and I didn't expect to like him anywhere near as much as I did. Optimus Prime remains the coolest dude in history and keeping him as a wartime hero willing to rip out somebody's spine if he needs to (which despite what fans will tell you is more or less how the character is usually portrayed across comics etc) made me like the movie way more than I would have otherwise.
Unfortunately, it does a cardinal sin to me of pulling punches: the fight in Peru structurally should have been a big pivotal moment, and the short section we get there between Prime and Scourge are by far the most engaging and kinetic setpieces in the movie. All for the fight to be cut short! Why? Why would you do this? This should have been your Forest Fight, Caple. The Museum fight and Peru fights needed reversed pacing. The conflict between both Noah and Prime's motives being at odds with each other is also resolved in a disappointing way, as there is never any development that should convince Noah to put any faith in Optimus and they don't get any (admittedly very cool) time together until the ending. Pete Davidson robot also doesn't really fit in as it seems his storyline got cut. I realize this must sound insane coming from a guy who ardently defends the Bay movies but those movies are unrestrained and utterly bizarre and layered with confusing subtext. This movie was "just" an action movie, and that's not enough for me if the action isn't also going to be top notch, which it never quite reaches. Also Bumblebee really sucked this movie and I've never disliked him prior, the movie quotes were grating and cheesy after a while.

Heat (1995): 8.5/10 First Michael Mann film I've seen and pretty fantastic the whole way through, especially the way the philsophies of the main characters come to an inversion near the end. There is one plot thread that just makes so little sense it took me out of the movie a bit (I normally give a lot of leeway to plot consistency because it's not the be all end all of art, but here it derailed the movie quite a bit) but the rest is solid.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023): 5/10 We took my son to see it as his first movie theatre experience. Didn't really do much for me, feel like it could've been great but was ultimately just kinda color by numbers nostalgia bait. Great for kids though.

RavenSupreme

Illustrious
Dungeons and dragons honor among thieves.

Solid 7/10

A nice midday snack doing exactly what it’s required without demanding too much or wanting too little. Would leave it on whenever it comes without really being too much invested at the same time

Galan

Preeminent
Dungeons and dragons honor among thieves.

Solid 7/10

A nice midday snack doing exactly what it’s required without demanding too much or wanting too little. Would leave it on whenever it comes without really being too much invested at the same time
It was a fun movie . I had a good time watching it

Galan

Preeminent
Name : Extraction 2
Score: 6/10

Story was ok. Action scenes were good. The movie should have ended 20 mins earlier. Some of the scenes were nonsensical. Flashbacks were reputative and boring. Hemsworth was star performer in the movie. Villain was acting too dumb sometimes.

• Agree

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Name : Extraction 2
Score: 6/10

Story was ok. Action scenes were good. The movie should have ended 20 mins earlier. Some of the scenes were nonsensical. Flashbacks were reputative and boring. Hemsworth was star performer in the movie. Villain was acting too dumb sometimes.
The first movie was definitely better and tbh, I think I got too bored with the plot and flashbacks in the second move that I don't think I even finished it until the end lol

Galan

Preeminent
The first movie was definitely better and tbh, I think I got too bored with the plot and flashbacks in the second move that I don't think I even finished it until the end lol
Whoever wrote the characterisation of that kid needs a shoe in the head.

• Agree

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Super Mario Bros

6/10

I watched it because I heard it was the second most grossing film in 2023 and was expecting something….more

Felt very one dimensional and the jokes flat. But was ok nontheless
I honestly couldn't get into it lol would rather watch the live-action one from back in the days with a better storyline tbh.

Galan

Preeminent
Lift
5/10
Weak villain, poor acting except by Kevin Hart. The story was nothing special. It was confusing most of the time for normal viewers. The gadgets were cool though.

• Agree

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Lift
5/10
Weak villain, poor acting except by Kevin Hart. The story was nothing special. It was confusing most of the time for normal viewers. The gadgets were cool though.
Other than the gadgets, I agree that the movie was ass lol didn't feel as genuine as his other movies. I think Hart should stick to more comedic roles cause it almost looks as if he's reading off the script low-key placed behind the actor he's talking to in most of his parts in the movie.

Galan

Preeminent
Baby Driver- 8.5/10
Great chasing sequences and good action scenes. The main character was interesting and had a good amount of depth in his character. Side characters did their part well. Only downside was Jamie Foxx screen time other than that it was good movie

RavenSupreme

Illustrious
Baby Driver- 8.5/10
Great chasing sequences and good action scenes. The main character was interesting and had a good amount of depth in his character. Side characters did their part well. Only downside was Jamie Foxx screen time other than that it was good movie
Thanks, that movie is on my list for a long time, so I am finally gonna pick it up

Galan

Preeminent
Dumb Movie - 4/10
I followed the whole Gamestop fiasco when it happened. The movie didn't do justice to the actual situation. Paul Dano sounded weaker compared to Keith Gill. Lesbian couples were an unnecessary addition. I sometimes cringed with their acting. They should have explored the relationship between Robinhood and Citadel more. Vlad had less screen time. Hedge Fund guys should have more screen time. They should have shown they all acted during the short squeeze.

Last edited:
Back