Reactions (PLUS)

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Ah yes, that Reactions guy, the ill-fated feature of any XenForo 2 powered forum... has gotten a bit of an upgrade! Yes, you heard right! My guy Reactions-kun is not a properly categorized pop-up after installing a new useful add-on called Reaction's PLUS (PLUS sounds like a dirty word tbh given it's history and obvious capitalization). This was purchased with the donations that donators have sent us in recent days and to give back to both you all and them, we've gone ahead and brought most if not ALL of the current post rating bloops from FV! You should see a few categories there already when you attempt to react to a post next time, if you haven't noticed it already by now. There is also a search feature, so it essentially behaves similarly to the smilies list :supercat

ViSNDAG.png

For nostalgia purposes, I've also included an the sprite sheet used to Imgur, in the event that you cannot access this forum anymore, or that you simply moved on from here (why would you? we love you over here! :blobtimistic)

AVnevk9.png

Wouldn't it be nice to know where exactly your hard earned money (I sure hope it was) went when you donate to OLF? Well, you can locate that information here at any time!

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I forgot about this additional feature from this add-on that I just enabled :blobfacade

Reaction stats can now be viewed from your user profile! (others will be able to see it too, so flex, FLEEEXXX 💪)

At3bpZ1.png

marf

🍌 Banana Joe 🍌
V.I.P. Member
FIrst of all, great job! It's really nice and refreshing to have such an active and useful Admin.

Now here are some thoughts on reactions that I've had:

The reactions list is getting quite big and 90% of the time I'm just using the same five or so reactions. Is it possible to add something like a "recently used" or "favourites" tab to the top of the reactions menu? Maybe have it optional, in case other people don't want to make it even bigger.

Reacting on mobile is a bit cumbersome, or at least for me it is. Every time I hold down onto the like button, my browser opens up it's own pop up menu that I have to close first, before I can get to the reactions menu.
On NF I always had the reactions available, without needing to open a pop up menu. We've got too many reactions now to display them all the time, so if something like a "favourites" tab is possible, can we have the option to have that single tab always displayed on posts?

Reactions: Ral

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
FIrst of all, great job! It's really nice and refreshing to have such an active and useful Admin.

Now here are some thoughts on reactions that I've had:

The reactions list is getting quite big and 90% of the time I'm just using the same five or so reactions. Is it possible to add something like a "recently used" or "favourites" tab to the top of the reactions menu? Maybe have it optional, in case other people don't want to make it even bigger.

Reacting on mobile is a bit cumbersome, or at least for me it is. Every time I hold down onto the like button, my browser opens up it's own pop up menu that I have to close first, before I can get to the reactions menu.
On NF I always had the reactions available, without needing to open a pop up menu. We've got too many reactions now to display them all the time, so if something like a "favourites" tab is possible, can we have the option to have that single tab always displayed on posts?
You are too kind :blobcry

I'll have to look into that, though it doesn't seem as if they have that feature baked in, unfortunately. I can alternatively only make certain reactions visible to those who are part of certain groups, such as "All Reactions" or "Basic" and even a mix. The system that FV uses is actually a Post Ratings system that they basically renamed a couple of phrases to give the impression that it is actually a Reactions system when it really isn't.

The favorites suggestion is also a wonderful idea, so I hope if I speak to the developers of the add-on, they can add this kind of feature in a future release. If that goes nowhere, I can try a few things:
  1. Install the same Ratings system as RV and tweak it for similar results.
    1. I can make special groups that can use one or the other so if people like the baked in reactions,
  2. Spend some time developing a favorites feature for Reaction's Plus after fixing reputation's received and whatnot.
  3. Create a new group that can only see the classic NF/FV reactions/ratings.
I'm open to options and suggestions whenever possible, so please don't hesitate to ask or get into the deep technical side of things :catfeels

marf

🍌 Banana Joe 🍌
V.I.P. Member
You are too kind :blobcry

I'll have to look into that, though it doesn't seem as if they have that feature baked in, unfortunately. I can alternatively only make certain reactions visible to those who are part of certain groups, such as "All Reactions" or "Basic" and even a mix. The system that FV uses is actually a Post Ratings system that they basically renamed a couple of phrases to give the impression that it is actually a Reactions system when it really isn't.

The favorites suggestion is also a wonderful idea, so I hope if I speak to the developers of the add-on, they can add this kind of feature in a future release. If that goes nowhere, I can try a few things:
  1. Install the same Ratings system as RV and tweak it for similar results.
    1. I can make special groups that can use one or the other so if people like the baked in reactions,
  2. Spend some time developing a favorites feature for Reaction's Plus after fixing reputation's received and whatnot.
  3. Create a new group that can only see the classic NF/FV reactions/ratings.
I'm open to options and suggestions whenever possible, so please don't hesitate to ask or get into the deep technical side of things :catfeels
If the addon developer can add it in, that would be great.

As for the alternatives:

I'm guessing Option 1 would cost money for the ratings addon and make the current one you just bought obsolet? If that's the case, it sounds like a last resort option that's probably not even worth it.

Option 2 sounds good to me, but probably means a lot of work for you.

Option 3 could work, however both the new and classic sets have exclusive reactions. No matter which one you choose, you would lose the option to use some of them.
A "basic" or "mix" group that slims down the menu by removing the second "agree", "like", etc reactions sounds like a good middle ground.

I'd favour option 2, potentially coupled together with the group option, but it would be best to gather more opinions on this later, assuming it actually comes down to these options.

Reactions: Ral
Back