Saving private animal

Laura Streminsky, a sophomore biology major on the pre-med and pre-PA track, and an ethical vegan, found herself dismayed when she discovered that she would have to perform an animal dissection on a rat and a worm for her BIO 204 course.

Kinda weird for a bio student to find dissecting dead organisms in opposition to her desires and goes but ok, lets see where this goes shall we.

Streminsky reached out to her graduate TA, Cecilia Yan, with her concerns: as an ethical vegan and animal rights activist, Streminsky told Yan that she does not feel comfortable dissecting any kind of animal.

Well you're not supposed to eat the carcass just poke around inside it, you know. The same way you squish a cockroach or swat a mosquito.

“I thought there were laws in place that would let me get out of it. So I didn’t think that it would be such a big deal,” Streminsky said.

Yeah I'm sure most students feel tricked once in awhile during college time.

Streminsky emailed Professor Marvin O’Neal of the biology department during a correspondence that began on Sept. 13, stating that she would be sitting out of the animal dissection lab. She inquired about possible alternatives. Streminsky forwarded the email exchange to The Statesman.

Fair enough but why contact the media? But anyway I hope there's an alternative as well.

“I very adamantly oppose the exploitation of animals in lab in any capacity, so can I please do an alternative assignment for the portions of the labs where students use isopods as well?” Streminksy wrote in her email to O’Neal. “Will my grade be impacted by my refusal to use animals?”

Well at least she asked politely and was not being overly aggr... wait a sec...

can I please do an alternative assignment for the portions of the labs where students use isopods as well?

no

I very adamantly oppose the exploitation of animals in lab in any capacity
Will my grade be impacted by my refusal to use animals?

no no no

the portions of the labs where students use isopods

Are you really going to do that... so... isopods are not animals...

wait which animals were you supposed to dissect again and felt wrong?

Clarification: This article was updated on Sept. 21 to clarify the fact that the animals being dissected were a rat and a worm.
a rat and a worm

:sohard

Dissecting a worm is animal cruelty but asking to dissect isopods is practising sushi?

I wouldn't have given a damn about this if it wasn't absolutely... insulting to both arthropods and humanity as a species :son:

P.S.
Ken Towe says:
SEPTEMBER 21, 2022 AT 11:12 AM
“…so can I please do an alternative assignment for the portions of the labs where students use isopods as well?”
An isopod is also an animal. Do heart surgeon medical school students”dissect” an open heart to replace an aortic valve? This whole discussion borders on the absurd.

There is hope I see :skully

giant_isopod_hires_vert-fb0ce2f41cac26f40ea0dcd8aa721f54a1ab0a65-s1100-c50.jpg

The face of an average sea vegetable

Back