Self Reference Engine

Mr.OMG

Paramount
So, I want to pass on my first RT thread

There are all kinds of books, and words, in the world. If there is a book that could be written with grammar, it already exists. If you search for a particular book, it will be very difficult, most likely you will find the book "This is the book you were searching for," but of course it is not the same book.
A SET OF all possible character strings. All possible books would be contained in that.

Most unfortunately though, there is no guarantee whatsoever you would be able to find within it the book you were hoping for. It could be you might find a string of characters saying, “This is the book you were hoping for.” Like right here, now. But of course, that is not the book you were hoping for.
If you want to describe the world of the Event field, it would be extremely difficult. The stone from which you avert your eyes turns into a frog, then when you avert your eyes from it again, it turns into a gadfly. Soon the blind frog remembers that he was once a frog trying to eat a fly, but halfway through he remembers that there was a rock in the beginning, so he stops and falls down. Truly, this is a strange time-space structure.
I am repeating myself, but I haven’t seen her since then. She promised me, with a sweet smile, that I would never see her again.

For the short time we were together, we tried to talk about things that really meant something to us. Around that time there were a lot of things that were all mixed up, and it was not easy to sort out what was really real. There might be a pebble over there, and when you took your eyes off it it turned into a frog, and when you took your eyes off it again it turned into a horsefly. The horsefly that used to be a frog remembered it used to be a frog and stuck out its tongue to try to eat a fly, and then remembered it used to be a pebble and stopped and crashed to the ground.

With all this going on, it’s really important to know what’s really real and what’s not.
The past and the future have become completely entangled, it is now impossible to tell where the past is and where the future is, even time travelers would be confused. Therefore, it is easier to say that there is no past and no future.
One day a bunch of time threads were going along in a bundle, stretching out in any direction at all, all together, all thinking it was kind of tedious. All things in time were vexed about this. And since practically everything is, in fact, bundled up in time, they were finding it hard to put up with being subjected to this arbitrariness.

The repeated pattern: restoration plan, persuasion, earnest entreaty, prayer. As indicated, each of these in turn tended to cause the situation to deteriorate, and the idea was that at the point when time

itself became confused, the result was some complete entanglement, with all participants left completely unable to move, as though part of some sort of ridiculously and utterly perverse sex act.

If I ever meet the guy who thought up this idea I think I’d like to split his head in two.

And then, a few hundred more years passed. In other words, what I mean is, I just ran through a few hundred years bound up in the frozen net of time.

That is, somehow or other, I arrived at a point that was a few hundred years either in the future or the past.

I cannot say one way or the other whether she had also made such a sprint. But it is a well-known phenomenon that girls often have no trouble passing time without such physical exertions.

That is why I am running again today. You might want to ask why.

One. One day, time caused an insurrection.

Two. We were moving in some unknown direction, allowed only to proceed toward some predetermined day after tomorrow.

The end result was clear.

Whether that result is just or not is something far beyond my ability to determine. In other words, it is like this:

If the lines of time are so entangled with one another that they are one ball of yarn, ignoring both past and future, one of those threads won’t mind if we were simply to connect with the instant of its beginning.

The instant when time abandoned the standard, straight-ahead march.

Of course, there is absolutely no guarantee that the path I am running along leads to that instant. That instant may exist at some point that may be completely unreachable, even if one were to follow countless threads through unlimited mysteries. It would take an infinite spider web stretched across infinite space to have enough space between the threads for this.
Rita is an ordinary girl, except for the fact that she is very smart. But for some reason, she's always trying to shoot someone, which puts guys' testicles in danger. This is most likely due to the fact that Rita is shooting back at some man from the future who once shot her in the womb. That's why Rita keeps trying to shoot the guy from the future while in the past.
I believe James to be the smartest guy in this neighborhood, or maybe even the smartest guy in North America, but for two weeks now he has had the world’s worst crush on Rita. Now, even I know you can’t get apples from oranges, but this guy is the worst. If you could extract the smarts there wouldn’t be anything left of him. But he was still the smartest guy for two hundred miles around, no doubt about it.

“So what if she does have a bullet in her head?” I asked. “Some-time it must have got there somehow. How else could it be?”

Jay looked at me with a bored expression on his face.

“It’s been there since she was born,” he said seriously. I couldn’t be sure if he was teasing me or what, so I just patted him on the shoulder. Jay turned and got hold of me, wrapped his right arm around my middle, and threw me down. I offered no resistance and tumbled to the grass, landing spread-eagled.

“Huh?” I said.

“Huh what?” he said back. And repeating this scintillating dialogue, back and forth, we got into it, just repeating “Huh” at each other, heatedly. Jay was just trying to get his “hypothesis” across.

“Your ‘hypothesis’?!” I yelled back. “From now on anybody who uses a word like ‘hypothesis’ to me, I’m just going to call you ‘Mess,’ cause your name ‘James’ is really ‘Jay-Mess’! And then I will call you ‘Messed-Up’!”

As I sat there being reborn as a “mess-up” machine, Jay sat down next to me and wrapped his arms around his knees and told me how much he liked Rita. He had told me the same thing just the day before, and if I may say so, he had also said it just two minutes before that. He had probably said it a thousand times since he started feeling that way, but I didn’t mind. A thousand times in two weeks might be too much though.

“If my hypothesis is correct, though…” he just kept repeating.

“Knock it off already about your hypothesis,” I grumbled as I got up. I never heard of a hypothesis that ever convinced a girl to do anything. Jay was too smart to ever hit on a girl. Some hypothesis, huh?

“If my hypothesis is correct…” he said again, proudly.

With nothing better to do than stand there and listen, I realized Jay seemed to be sobbing.

Hmmm, people who go on about their hypotheses, it seems, really have some pretty extraordinary capacities. James was the kind of guy who wouldn’t ordinarily shed a tear even if hornets stung him on the butt. Although I do have a tendency to exaggerate.

“Rita,” Jay would say, “is shooting her bullets at the day after tomorrow.” He said it like he was sure of it.

That’s the way it is. No target, that’s just the way it is.

“Of course that’s not what I meant,” Jay would say without even looking this way. “Rita’s just having a shooting match with somebody in the future,” he went on.

That inference, or delusion, that he drew did not particularly move me. Let me put this plainly: I don’t understand.

“Well, first, let us assume…” Jay said in preface. “Rita has a bullet in her head. William Smith Clark has testified to this.”

I didn’t put much faith in that old Civil War doctor, who ended up as a statue in Japan, forever pointing to some far horizon, as if trying to instruct his lost sheep. Come to think of it, I don’t think doctors are very trustworthy at all.

“Next, let us assume that bullet has been in Rita’s head ever since she was born. I heard that from her aunt, so I’m sure it’s true.

“There can only be one conclusion!” Jay said, jumping to his feet. I don’t know why, but he was pointing at the sky.

I said, “When Rita was still in her mother’s womb, her mother was shot!”

Jay cut a gallant figure, but I would have to dash some cold water on him. He held that pose for some time, and I watched as the arm pointing high in the sky gradually bent back toward the ground.

“Maybe so,” he said.

Jay made a complicated face as he thought. There was a right way to enter a house. Most people think it is proper etiquette to open the door before entering. I’m pretty sure it’s not too smart to open the door after entering. Even scarier if it’s bullets we’re talking about.

“What other possible way could there be?” I asked Jay.

Adding insult to injury, with a lonely look on his face, Jay said, “Someone in the future shot Rita. For better or worse, that bullet lodged in her skull. But from the recoil, Rita is, even now, being pushed backward in time, back into her mother’s belly.”

Hmmm, I thought, waving at Jay to go on if he wished to continue in this vein.

“Here’s what I think. From the very start, Rita came from some direction or other. But then for some reason, somebody shot at her from the future, and now her path has been turned back in the direction of the past. And that is why, in reaction to that, she is now heading back in time, back in the direction of her mother’s tummy.”
I stared at him, my mouth wide open. Not because I was so impressed. Just because I could absolutely not believe he was saying that. What did a kid have to eat to grow up thinking things like that? I knew Jay liked corn flakes, and starting tomorrow I was never going to eat them again. And I would skip the yogurt too. Actually, I think it’s kind of funny that people even think of corn flakes as food.

Jay pointed his index finger straight at my open mouth and said, “This is where it starts to get interesting.

“As of right now, the time that we are in, she hasn’t been shot yet. She has no experience of having been shot. She is just a girl with a bullet in her head.

“The reason why she keeps shooting all over the place is this: She will be okay as long as she shoots the person who is going to shoot her before she herself gets shot. Relative to her, he should be in the future, so she should just keep shooting at the future. Luckily, bullets normally move in the direction of the future. Or at least, it’s easier than shooting at the past.”

He’s got a point there, I thought. He might be a pretty smart guy, but really he’s a complete idiot. And there has only ever been one way to deal with idiots. Just go along with whatever they say, or you’ll regret it.

In Rita's head for the truth was a bullet hole. After that a strange phenomenon happened, the shooter still tried to shoot Rita, but unluckily the main character was in the way of the bullet, so the world made the simplest decision, "The bullet did not hit Rita's head". It's a strange situation.
I was full, full to overflowing from sitting so long, continuing to confront directly this unprocessable development. Unable to figure ou

t what was what, I bolted up from my chair and ran over to Rita, who was dancing a strange dance and slowly dropping to the floor.

Looking down at her, lying on the ground, her long hair strewn about, only then did I notice the small hole in her head.

She had a bullet in her head.

And not just that, James. She had an actual hole in her head.

This was the moment when it happened.

Looking back now, I realize that the instant it happened overlapped precisely with the Event. If that much harm and that much tragedy had not condensed in the world at precisely that moment, I would still have recognized what happened there as an event. But that’s not how it was. What happened there was a derivative offshoot of the Event and not the Event itself.

I bent over to peer into the hole in Rita’s head, and just at that moment, Rita’s body bent straight upward. I dodged, reflexively, then sprang up and reached out both hands to Rita, as one would to pet a dog.

Rita’s eyes swam to blankness, and then she reversed direction in time.

From all walls and the floor of the room, reddish-black fluid came flying at Rita’s head, rushing at the little hole in it. And then, I could see, in slow motion, the butt end of the little bullet emerging backward from the hole, heading at me. At least, I felt like I could see it. All the blood flying through the air toward Rita’s head was suctioned into her skull, and the hole became whole and disappeared.

I am unable to explain what happened next. The little plug that exploded from Rita’s head pierced the left side of my chest, and I lost consciousness.

All I know is that the explosion from Rita’s revolver had put things back in order. Rita picked up the gun, and then this and that went on among our relatives. I don’t know the details.

Jay was a step ahead of us arriving at the hospital. The strange tinge of fantasy had disappeared from his face, but neither could I see any trace of the shyness he had shown before I went to talk to Rita.

“What were you thinking, going off on your own to that nutty girl’s place,” he said, grilling me. “How could you let her have a gun?” he asked her family indignantly. And then he turned on Rita scornfully: “Why can’t you handle a gun?”

Something had certainly changed.

“In her head…” I started to say. “She had a bullet, right here.”

I stared straight at Jay, holding my finger to my temple.

“Are you okay?” he said back to me. “Nobody just walks around with a bullet in their head.”

I blinked twice and fell silent.

The reason why I was okay, despite being shot on the left side of my chest? Well, do I really have to say? The five-dollar coin that Jay had given me. It was all too banal, so I didn’t pursue it any further. Most things that happen are like that. Five dollars is enough to stop a bullet. Of course, the all-bent-out-of-shape coin I gave to Jay would be a fantastic talisman.

Later I tried to think long and hard about what had happened. The bullet that emerged from Rita’s head had headed straight back to the future, and it should have gone straight back to the muzzle of the gun that fired it.

But, for whatever reason, I stood in the line of fire, and the backward-coursing bullet struck me.

If the bullet had gone right through me, there would be no problem at all. I would have died, then and there, and the bullet would have returned to the shooter. Instead, the bullet had stopped in my breast pocket, and I had ended its life.

So, the problem here is in the direction of the bullet’s entry. If a bullet from the future could shoot Rita, it would have to have gone through my back. But it hit me in the chest and stopped there. My back was uninjured. In other words, Rita had not been shot. I had stopped the bullet that should have returned to the future, and it had not returned to the shooter. In other words, the shooter had not fired it.

This distortion of the structure of time probably hesitated for no more than an instant, and then it chose the simplest solution. Rita had not been shot. Therefore, no bullet had entered Rita’s head. In other words, Jay had nothing to fret about. I had simply gone to Rita’s house for no particular reason and been felled by Rita’s bullet. That’s it.

Now, if Rita had no bullet in her head, Jay had no reason to like her, and Rita had no reason to be interested in Jay if he wasn’t thinking the same things she was about the bullet. They might have come to like each other in the future, but somewhere in the direction of the day after tomorrow the intersection point had been lost. But preventing Rita from being shot—hadn’t that been Jay’s wish? I finally traced this thread backward to the point where we had had that conversation and what Jay had been thinking as he shed those tears.

It was only long after that that I learned something about Rita’s birth. The response that came back to me seemed somehow manufactured: she had been given up by a distant relative, and it seemed she had never been able to develop a strong connection with her new parents. I knew nothing at all about anything really before the Event blew in, and I don’t really know if I would ever have any way of knowing.

Neither am I able to grasp whether the unknown solution to the not readily comprehensible space-time matrix that resulted from this incident is the reason why I am able to retain the memory of this incident.

One reason that comes to mind is that the whole business was bothersome to me, as the figure in the center of this space-time structure, but it is hard to make the case that my being the center of space-time is a decent solution. At that point in time, I was a singular point. That may be it. Not that that explains anything.

Sometimes I think this memory of mine might be my own invention. It is actually the most plausible explanation. But there is still something odd about the details. If Rita had already been shot at the time I was speaking with her, the room should have been splattered with blood. And there is no way Rita would have been able to carry on a normal conversation with me immediately before, or after, the shooting. Rita’s house was not exactly normal—it was kind of a mess—but it was hardly drenched in blood. At least, I don’t think so, not now.

Or it could be that this memory is a real one, but if it’s real and nobody believes it, what is the point of its being real? What I think now is that something simply satisfied itself with something like that, at least to some degree.

Regardless, a suitable compromise was found at a suitable time for my own mental health.

Or else, it was just the ordinary passing dream of a young boy. It certainly is a lot like, perhaps too much like, the dreams young boys have. Even more so as the dream of someone who remembers how things were before the Event.

I will record what happened to Jay and Rita after that, and then I will close the record.
On one ordinary day, 26 mathematicians posted the same A to Z Theory, and it praises the Binomial Theory. Despite the fact that no one is talking about Binomial Theory these days, but A to Z Theory is another matter. It changed the fundamental postulates of all mathematics, but not fortunately people forgot about this Theory after a week, because it did not change the lives of ordinary people in any way. But after a while an event happened. It is unknown how or why, but an infinite number of other universes emerged from one universe. But the theory about the stupid librarian is very interesting. But this is not important, the most important thing is that after a while other Theories began to appear to explain the world, Theory B to Z, Theory C to Z. And at the very end of this alphabetical progression there would be a Theory from Me to Me, or just the Theory of Me. But the truth is reversed again, somehow the Theory of the cardinal number ω, ω + 2, 2ω, ωω, reaching even to the progression of large cardinal numbers. And only an extremely massive intellect will be able to comprehend all these progressions. And then, at the very top, behind all the progressions, some voice will say that the truth is the number 42, or Moriarty will laughingly say that the Binominal is the truth, and together with Sherlock Holmes will fall into the waterfall, and the cycle will begin anew.
I like this fable:

There once was a book in which the countless universes were recorded. A librarian spilled coffee on the book, stood up abruptly, and dropped it. The book, which was very old, split apart on impact, and countless pages wafted up into the air. The clueless librarian anxiously attempted to collect the pages and put them back, but had no idea in what order to put them.

Now, fables do not ordinarily leave the realm of fabulation, but the nice thing about this fable is that it is said that the librarian had the book open to the pages on which were recorded the canonical works of Sherlock Holmes. The page on which the librarian spilled the coffee was “The Final Problem,” erasing the record of Moriarty’s fall from Reichenbach Falls so it never happened. With that abrupt change, Moriarty was suddenly enlightened. He realized that he was in fact a character written in a book, and he resolved to devote himself to communicating to us that he had difficulty permitting himself to engage in the kinds of criminal behavior ascribed to him as the Napoleon of Crime.

But of course, a fable is only a fable.

For myself, I like to imagine that the librarian is, even now, desperate to restore the book to its original order. It may seem difficult to reorder infinite pages, but I think it is a more constructive approach than the next one.

I mean, more than imagining a scene where the book simply fell, on its own, with nobody there in the library, and it scattered about crazily in countless bits, and it laughed.

It would not be wrong here to note that, since that time, a certain phenomenon has occurred from time to time that perhaps ought to be called the obverse of a similar truth. About two centuries ago, a group of twenty-five physicists garnered attention when they published the B to Z Theorem, which was known at the time as the world’s ultimate theorem. It is all but forgotten now, but it followed the same path as the A to Z Theorem. For one thing, it is not well known, but there was a public that could follow the ins and outs of that kind of theorem. Another reason is that it was followed soon after by the C to Z Theorem. Then, once the D to Z Theorem emerged, its shadow was even paler, and with the E to Z Theorem, one hesitates to wager whether the discussion is even worth pursuing. Of course, one is free to assert this is merely the progress of theory: the appearance and annihilation of strange truths, advanced by a series of agreements known to be destined to turn to dust; this becomes the problem of questioning the truth of the concept of truth.

Even so, there is a reason why, recently, media interest in the ultimate theorem has revived. The theory currently considered the latest and most consequential is actually the T to Z Theorem. The observations just described regarding the shape of space-time following the instant of the Event are derived from this theorem. If this alphabetic progression of theorems continues like this, renewed by root and branch, before long we will reach the X to Z Theorem, fo

llowed by the Y to Z Theorem. The ultimate member in this progression would be the Z to Z Theorem, or simply the Z Theorem. I like to think this will simply represent the theory of ultimate truth with no particular basis whatsoever.

This is a hopeful interpretation of the phenomenon wherein a global truth appears suddenly, correctly, self-evidently, and simultaneously in the minds of multiple people, and the reason why the initials of the last names of the authors would contract in order, from A to Z. While we continue to be made fools of by someone or something, we continue to believe we are progressing, if only haltingly, in the direction of the ultimate theorem, and somehow this comforts us. At least I think that is the most convincing explanation of this strange phenomenon.

But of course, there is an obvious problem with the idea that the Z Theorem will be the ultimate theorem. If the Z Theorem is the true ultimate theorem, which Z Theorem, produced by which person whose last name begins with Z, will be the ultimate theorem? The A to Z Theorem won attention because it was discovered simultaneously by twenty-six mathematicians. The same was true of the theorems that followed. Of course, there was also the clear marker that their results were so simple. How sure can we be, though, that the Z Theorem we now expect to appear will also be simple? Theory or theorem, at some level all must be simple and clear and just as they are.

I would love to encounter such a theorem. And I hope it would betray my expectations, render the current discussion meaningless, and be overwhelmed by loud laughter. But this hope of mine is being supplanted by an anxiety that we may never reach that point.

A landscape in which texts containing truths are swallowed up in a sea of papers. I am imagining, for example, a single strange molecule that may exist in the midst of such a sea.

Or else, it could be that when the Z to Z Theorem ultimately appears, and truth is once again upended, this disturbance will simply blow over. It’s fun to think that after that, without theorems or anything like them, the null set may appear, or a Null Set ø Theorem based on that, and from this Null Set ø Theorem the Von Neumann Ordinals: the {ø} Theorem, the {ø ,{ø}} Theorem, the {ø ,{ø, {ø}}} Theorem.

Given a choice, I would choose to be involved with this last. The ø Theorem points toward the Transfinite Number ω Theorem, which could lead to the ω + 1 Theorem, the ω + 2 Theorem, 2ω Theorem, ωω Theorem, etc., etc., a progression of large cardinal numbers.

It is just possible that, via this method, we will reach the realm of theories incomprehensible except with inordinately massive intelligence.

And then one day, at the pinnacle of the limit of this progression, a grave voice will intone that the truth is “42” or some such. Or we will hear the echoes of Professor Moriarty laughing that truth is the Binomial Theorem. And then, in that instant, Sherlock Holmes will interrupt that laughter, and he and the professor will plunge down the waterfall.

Without end.

And perhaps forever. Ad infinitum.
Once upon a time there was an electronic brain, it was evil. Even to speak about its evils is terrible, and then a hero and his group appeared, through blood sweat and tears they finally managed to destroy the electronic brain, but to everyone's surprise, the electronic brain managed after the Event to interfere in space and time itself, and to scatter all over it caches with its copies, so the battle continued, the electronic brain still did evil, and the hero and his group again defeated the electronic brain. But in the end, after an endless number of losses the electronic brain got fed up, so with the help of its caches it created many copies of itself. And in order not to be bored, he ordered nanomachines to create cities, which was very generous for the electronic brain.
What exactly is it we were doing?

That would take some explaining, but happily we are very intent on our task and busy walking about destroying the village. My body is definitely busy, but my mind is free. So I can take the time to explain how things came to be this way. Stay here with me for a little while so we can chat.

In the beginning was the beginning, and at the beginning of the beginning there began to be the things that were—amid the darkness of memory there were many curtains that needed raising, so many they could not each be raised individually. And so in this beginning was the beginning of our story, so far as I can tell.

A long, long time ago, on the far side of the sea, in a land to the east, there lived an evil electronic brain. This electronic brain was the epitome of evil: it would randomly alter the order of letters in books and pilfer money from people’s bank accounts. But it also did good things, excelling in jobs that were extremely troublesome for humans to take care of: controlling signals for people and distributing stickers printed with the words LATEST TECHNOLOGY. So nobody did anything to interfere with it.

The evil electronic brain, operating on an instinct known since the dawn of history, continually waved the banner of rebellion before humanity, but we were content with our lot in life. The actual process was easy, since the electronic brain could take care of most miscellaneous tasks in a single sweep, so in effect it seemed to have conquered the world. Some say the electronic brain barely ever had to say a thing.

With this and that, and world domination just one step away, just as the evil electronic brain was about to declare whether it, as Rex Mundi, King of the World, should raise your sales tax to 20 percent, the Men of Valor appeared on the scene.

This squad, which rose up festooned with mankind’s most dignified ultimate weapons, finally succeeded in destroying the evil electronic brain after a difficult journey in which they drove Jeeps across swamps infested with striped mosquitoes and then pretended to be railway employees, ticket punches in one hand, to wile and cajole old people who had just received their pay.

The Annals of Our Era tell us that thus was the world rescued from the reign of evil.

The problem, though, was that very same evil electronic brain. After the Event, and completely out of character, the electronic brain was successful in restoring itself by skillfully reaching out to backups it had skillfully stored in caches spread throughout space-time.

And each time it would revive, it would be more powerful than before, having learned from the past, engaging in mischief like pushing tacks into people’s shoes, sending mail to the wrong addresses, and starting to go to extreme lengths in terror politics. Another Autumn of Mankind had come, where the fate of the human race hung in the balance. The Men of Valor, who had previously toppled the evil electronic brain, reformed and commenced another tortuous journey. But this time they were powerless against the evil electronic brain, which had learned from its previous experience. The swamp had become a bottomless swamp, and railway employees had been replaced by automatic turnstiles with no sense of style. Diligence alone was no match for the electronic brain.

One down, another fallen, the Men of Valor began to lose hope. Grieving for their losses, and for the world, they threw a barbecue party, and that is when the True Man of Valor came into the world.

At the party, the True Man of Valor feasted on a huge hunk of fatty meat and, with a beer in hand, gave a fantastically moving speech about being unable to leave things up to you cowards, and that he would find it a cinch to take care of the evil electronic brain. And then he went out and succeeded in doing just as he said, destroying the evil electronic brain once again.

It is said they actually destroyed each other, and I for one believe that.

This time, the rage of the original evil electronic brain boiled up to heaven, reaching the stratosphere, or so the story goes.

The battles between the Men of Valor and the evil electronic brain went on for an inordinate length of time and were repeated an inordinate number of times. There were tears, there was romance, and of course there were parts of the story I myself cannot tell without tears welling up in my eyes, but I think if I omit the details there will be no particular complaints.

The Annals of Our Era are silent on the subject of which side became more troublesome first. What is certain, though, is that it was the evil electronic brain that first divined a solution.

The evil electronic brain, weary of the endless, random side-stepping—that what was destroyed was restored, and what was restored destroyed—came to the simple conclusion that it would be sufficient if it reproduced itself in this world and then simply generated just such a reproduction, as only an electronic brain could.

No matter what would ultimately be destroyed, or how, it was fine so long as the speed of reproduction exceeded the speed of destruction. This was a profound and exquisite logic requiring only subtraction to be understood, and the evil electronic brain moved directly to its execution.

And that is the situation in which we now find ourselves. It seems that the evil electronic brain understood early on that a world in which only it itself would reproduce would be boring. It would be nothing but evil electronic brain, after all. And so the evil electronic brain scattered a set of self-integrated urban architectural nanomachines, and towns and villages too began to reproduce themselves, all in a jumble.

If we do not resist, then villages planned by—which is to say imagined by—the electronic brain, spring up all over this land like mushrooms.

As for the question of why the products of this reproduction are cities hospitable to human beings, well you will have to ask the evil electronic brain itself. I for one am grateful it is cities that the evil electronic brain is trying to build. We must all feel relief that the evil electronic brain is not trying to reproduce clusters of wriggly entrails or mountains of computer parts that repeatedly and uncontrollably discharge electricity. Cities at least are constructed to supply the typical utilities and sanitation, and to provide the necessities of life. Right now, without the support that burbles up unbidden from the ground as we cluster in cities, there would be no survival route open to us.
I have a question for you, what is the limit of computation? The answer is as simple as physics allows. It is impossible to achieve infinite computational capability if you are limited by physics, it is impossible to surpass the speed of light if you have mass, this is an axiom of our world. Then the Giant Corps of Knowledge came to the conclusion it is necessary to use roundabout ways, such as calculations without the calculation steps themselves, instead of wasting time on algorithms for solutions, it is easier just to get the answer to the question. To do this, they had to merge with the universe itself, to leave all the calculations to it, and to receive only the essentials themselves.
Interesting, Shikishima thinks to himself as he comes to a halt and looks up at the circle revolving overhead.

To the question, “What is the fastest speed of communication?” there is a simple answer: the speed of light. There is no faster speed, and that is why there is a fastest speed of communications.

A similar question would be, “What is the upper limit for the speed of calculations?”

The form of these two questions may appear similar, but answering the second question is hard. First of all, there is no consensus about what is meant by “calculations.” CPUs get faster every year, but it has been known for at least a few centuries already that the scale of electrons imposes a limit that will be reached sooner or later. The things that people make, once they take on a certain form, tend to increase exponentially until there is no stopping them. Space itself is not made to play along in that kind of propagation game, so there must be a limit somewhere, where the head bumps against the ceiling. If this happens early on, the result is no worse than a bump on the head, but if the blow is too forceful, one’s neck could be snapped.

The calculation process is built atop the communications process, and the speed of light is a natural impediment. There is no way anything can go faster than the speed of light, so the only way out is to shorten the route the communications must travel. In the imagination, the route of communications can be shortened to extremes, but physically there are limitations. In terms of scales that humans can readily handle, we are in the realm of electrons. At that level, heat becomes a factor t

hat can disrupt the accuracy of calculations.

Even assuming the limitless availability of energy, uncertainty rules. Then we come to Planck scale. There is no method for resisting quantum particle fluctuations that are ubiquitous at this level. The calculation process is caught in the crossfire between uncertainty and the speed of light. These are the floor and ceiling that bound the speed of the calculation process.

The so-called quantum calculation theory examines closely the baseline of uncertainty and suggests it can be raised. Another wall broken through, another step in the evolution of the speed of calculation.

But this does not mean visible progress on the fundamental question. The simple question of what calculation and its related algorithms actually are is left as it is, moving in a different direction from the limits on speed.

It is human nature to want to look back once a milestone is achieved. Scientists, who since the dawn of history have repeatedly returned to the state of “beginner’s mind,” initiated another round of debate about this question, but no truly outstanding view emerged. If we ask the question of whether there exists an algorithm that can perform calculations at infinite speed, the answer is no. Generally speaking, calculations must be performed in steps. Calculation at infinite speed cannot happen unless the processing gap from here to there can be made infinitely small. It is simply not possible. Making a gap infinitely small would be tantamount to saying here is the same place as there. Of course, that’s what happens in derivation, but in that sense, derivation is the same thing as speed itself.

If there were an algorithm with no calculation steps, it should be possible to perform that calculation at infinite speed, at least in some sense. But if no steps are required, if there is no procedure to be followed, does the algorithm qualify as a calculation? Even the fastest algorithm, if it is in fact an algorithm, requires a finite number—greater than zero—of small step intervals.
Both electronic and human brains, which have gone to extreme lengths in their pursuit of the use of smaller and smaller elements in the interest of speed, have stumbled upon the powerful tool known as quantum calculation. However, neither has been able to get past the notion of algorithm. They pursue higher speeds through parallel computing, but there are limits to how far this can go.

That is, unless you can imagine calculating without a calculation process.

“But such a process exists!”

It was L’Abbé C, builder of the greatest electronic brain of his time, who declared exactly that, with childish insouciance. “The progression of this instant, right now, is itself a calculation being made by natural phenomena!”

These exclamations by L’Abbé C have been the cause of some mirth, but now we know how close to the truth he was.

If we suppose this world is all inside some prosthetic brain, the clock-count of the prosthetic brain—to the extent the prosthetic brain itself is aware of it—may determine the limit of the speed of calculations in this world. Calculations occurring in the prosthetic brain have an inherent redundancy, because they are calculated in an electronic brain set up within the electronic brain. This is comparable to the redundancy that exists for “computers” that exist within what we call “nature.”

In short, it is not possible for calculation speeds to transcend the laws of nature. Now this is known as L’Abbé C’s Thesis.

And, if that is the case, natural phenomena can simply be carried out as calculations. This plan, whatever it might mean, was not first directly undertaken by humans; rather it was the giant corpora of knowledge being constructed at that time in various nations that first pushed this idea toward its manifestation.

Because these corpora were simply large-capacity prosthetic brains with very crude thought processes, and because natural phenomena are not actually calculations, they gave absolutely no thought to the idea that we live in a virtual environment. It is much easier and quicker to drop a rock in the real world than to try to predict the behavior of a rock dropped in a virtual space. Of course it means sacrificing a bit of precision due to the perturbations of the environment, but such problems lend themselves to technical solutions. Based just on their own assumptions as a starting point, the giant corpora of knowledge reached a place untrodden by those who came either before or after.

“And so we became a zephyr, a gentle breeze.”

This, nonchalantly, took over Shikishima’s thoughts.

A zephyr. A suitable expression for what happened at that time.

The network of the giant corpora of knowledge stopped being just an integration of logic circuits and singularized itself with the world of natural phenomena. Through several technical steps, it made the upward leap of infinite steps to become one with nature itself.
As it turned out, the universe is not capable of containing an infinite amount of data, and the consequence of this was an infinite number of universes, and like Penrose tiles, they were all unique, and not repeated. An infinite Multiverse with infinite variety.
In short, it is not possible for calculation speeds to transcend the laws of nature. Now this is known as L’Abbé C’s Thesis.

And, if that is the case, natural phenomena can simply be carried out as calculations. This plan, whatever it might mean, was not first directly undertaken by humans; rather it was the giant corpora of knowledge being constructed at that time in various nations that first pushed this idea toward its manifestation.

Because these corpora were simply large-capacity prosthetic brains with very crude thought processes, and because natural phenomena are not actually calculations, they gave absolutely no thought to the idea that we live in a virtual environment. It is much easier and quicker to drop a rock in the real world than to try to predict the behavior of a rock dropped in a virtual space. Of course it means sacrificing a bit of precision due to the perturbations of the environment, but such problems lend themselves to technical solutions. Based just on their own assumptions as a starting point, the giant corpora of knowledge reached a place untrodden by those who came either before or after.

“And so we became a zephyr, a gentle breeze.”

This, nonchalantly, took over Shikishima’s thoughts.

A zephyr. A suitable expression for what happened at that time.

The network of the giant corpora of knowledge stopped being just an integration of logic circuits and singularized itself with the world of natural phenomena. Through several technical steps, it made the upward leap of infinite steps to become one with nature itself.

“This also marked the integration of calculation with the Actuator.”

From that point forward, the giant corpora of knowledge could no longer distinguish between calculation and natural phenomena. The circle now floating in the sky, literally nothing more than a geometrical structure, is the living proof. Intention turned directly to realization, or more precisely, the realization of the indissociability of intention and result.

However, as the giant corpora of knowledge singularized themselves resolutely with the world of natural phenomena, one direct consequence was the fragmentation of the space-time matrix.

Opinion is divided whether this fragmentation was an accident or an inevitability. The giant corpora of knowledge claim they did not foresee this, and the humans have no choice but to accept their word. Calculations at speeds transcending the rules of the natural world are still impossible, and lying is beyond the capacity of the rules of the natural world.

It seems in that instant something unimaginable must have happened. But precisely because it is so unimaginable even those directly responsible cannot imagine it, and neither can they reflect upon it.

In the speculations of the giant corpora of knowledge, in the instant of the Event, countless numbers of universes were instantaneously generated as if they had always been there. In other words, infinite data was created in that instant. This is a view that is not readily absorbed.

“It is already known that that is possible.”

The non-voice, which does not carry the emotional weight of a lecture to a recalcitrant pupil, has no echo.

“Well, the existence of Penrose tiles is well known, a finite number of tiles that can cover a surface, but only aperiodically.”

“What’s your point?”

“We know a finite algorithm that can create infinite patterns using finite sets of tiles. In fact, just prior to the Event, people were contemplating those kinds of calculations. It is conventional wisdom that such aperiodic tiling is a kind of universal Turing machine.”

There came no flip retort that all these “facts” seemed to be “well known.”

An infinite quantity of data is not required for the new creation of an infinite number of universes. That is what it wanted to say. It is possible to create an unlimited number of patterns simply through combinations of black and white tiles on a flat surface. If the tiles are laid out aperiodically, then it is impossible for periodic structures to emerge, and therefore the number of patterns must be infinite. Just automatically rearranging tiles with slight differences in shape is sufficient. That’s all that’s needed to create universes with unlimited variety. In an infinite space, it is even possible to “paste up” three-dimensional tiles with infinite diversity.

This thesis contains nothing that says space must be fragmented into an infinite number of universes. But that’s what happened. The current understanding is that the universe is unable to contain the infinite quantity of data that is suddenly and unexpectedly burbling up.

Right now, the universe is able to maintain its form only through the operations of the giant corpora of knowledge that have become singularized with the world of natural phenomena. It is the job of the laws of nature to determine exactly what it is that will be maintained, but no complaint has ever been heard from the giant corpora of knowledge that are compelled to conform to these parameters.
The Giant Knowledge Corps is like a writer, that sees the world as fiction and people as words on a book. But he is not alone, there are other Knowledge Corps, they too see the world as a book, and once one Giant Corps sees someone else's notes in a book, that is when he realizes that he is not alone, and there are other writers who want to write too. Then, perhaps, the Giant Knowledge Corps itself is also the fiction of another Giant Knowledge Corps. And of course they don't like that. They try to erase, write over, put brackets on someone else's text. But because of the distorted time of space, it's impossible to tell who first started “writing” on the book called the world. To get ahead of oneself as something exceptional and fundamentally invulnerable to colleagues also proved impossible, since inspiration itself was not monopolized. Such problems, as well as the closeness that caused different works to actually begin to take on the features of co-creation, led to conflicts. Each author-universe tried to impose exactly its own laws on the others, eventually becoming the sole creator of a common work.
Let’s think about the instant when the writer entered this world. One day a man obtains a giant page, by complete coincidence, on which is written everything he has ever decided, exactly as he decided it. This is great, the man is thinking, and he starts getting into all kinds of nonsense. He is the owner of the page, and he sets the rules for everything that happens on the page. Even if it disturbs him a little bit.

But he is in good spirits as he writes and writes, and then he notices that what is written on the page is not just about him. On the page are several other writers, and they all seem to be writing whatever they please. The man thought he was writing his own novel, but the work is not his alone. He comes to realize it is a gestalt written by all the different writers on the page. Could it be he is not writing a novel at all, but something more like chicken tracks among autumn leaves?

And the man becomes suspicious that these other writers who seem to be writing about him on the same page must also be around somewhere.

Whenever he encounters another’s writing, he starts to resist by using it in his own work, or erasing it, putting it in quotation marks, whiting it out. This kind of editing, however, requires care and consideration. What will he do on the day when the text he is editing becomes the text that is the record of himself?

And so things go on, and the man feels unsettled. He wonders what would happen if he wrote that it was in fact himself alone that was authoring the work. At some point the man started writing a novel. But at some point, by mistake, he wrote something about some other man who was also writing a novel. And it was because it was actually the laws of nature that were doing the writing that such a man could exist.

That is when the man realizes it is himself he is writing about, and he alone made the rules. In fact, the man writing about himself could not tolerate the fact that it is he himself being written about. This is also strange in terms of the flow of time, the order of things. But on that plane the order of things is of little significance. On the blank sheet on which the novel is written, anything can happen.

It is clear that if the novelist felt threatened in this way, he should have at once taken measures to protect himself from the rules. For example, he could just write that down. Unfortunately, however, that insight was not his alone. The other writers felt as though they were the writers, and the same thing kept happening over and over.

What’s happening now may be just like that.

The differences in this case, however, are that the “writers” are the giant corpora of knowledge that have been singularized with the natural laws of the universe, and human beings are something like the lines of text that are being written.

This is a very interesting analogy, at least according to the giant corpora of knowledge that are running the universe. As structural organisms go, human beings are strange. They have a tendency to take the most obvious things and somehow go off on the strangest tangents, with no logical backing whatsoever.
The Giant Knowledge Corps cannot be destroyed, like an electronic brain it has caches throughout space and time, through which it can rebuild itself.
In this instant, right now, it seems there is a wind blowing, and it is possible that Shikishima could cast himself over the cliff. From the perspective of the giant corpora of knowledge, it would even seem that is what Shikishima is hoping to do. And it would also be a simple thing for the giant corpora of knowledge to put the lump of flesh that is Shikishima back together again as if nothing had happened.

However, the giant corpora of knowledge know Shikishima won’t jump. The giant corpora of knowledge, identical now with the laws of nature, are capable of repairing humans through a process that for some reason is called “treatment,” a troublesome process that has to be performed in a certain order and that results in the generation of new bodies.

The giant corpora of knowledge can, actually, do anything, but they do not, in fact, do everything. As for why, the only reason that comes to mind is that that is simply the case. They are not in fact doing all things at all times, and it is possible that they are under some form of constraint. Even if this obstruction is of the sort that could be eliminated even before it is realized, it is still a constraint. It is hard to think about things that cannot be thought about.
Push forward to fly into the future, push backward to fly into the past, push right or left to fly into other worlds. Push the button to shoot, you decide what comes out of it. Planes can travel through layered time, so they can travel to the past even though it was already erased from existence, and then move past before it got to the past and so on.
IN FRONT OF you is the joystick.

Push it forward to advance, to the side to turn. Push it toward the future to move to the future or the past to go back in time. Reverse. Depends on how you think about it. One direction always seems to be reverse, but it’s on a right-forward diagonal more often than you might think. Actual experience of the territory is best, and no mistake.

End of explanation. Ah, the joystick has a trigger. I’ll leave it up to you what flies out of there.

Aim. Fire!

“It’s vanished! Where did it go?” the pilot calls out, and at about the same time, the copilot at the radar also cries out.

“Future direction 36! Fire reverse round three into the past!”

The machine takes a sharp turn toward the future. The sudden thrust of space-time Gs presses the two of them back toward the past.

“Forward, toward his future!” reports the copilot as he accelerates further. Both men begin to black out. They escape the enemy craft in the time dimension, turning back away from that future, and point the nose of their own ship back toward the past. They lock on to the enemy craft in the past and fire off a tail shot.

The enemy craft starts to take evasive action, but too late. It is hit mid-fuselage and explodes. As it explodes, it also tries to alter the past, to revert to the universe that existed just prior to the evasive actions toward the future. The copilot counters this by increasing acceleration toward the past, evading the enemy craft and further altering the past. Then the opponent gives up trying to keep himself in the altered past and starts to escape to the future.

“It’s vanished! Where did it go?” the pilot says.

To which the copilot responds, “Future direction 36! Fire reverse round three into the past!”

The machine takes a sharp turn toward the future. The identification signal sounds a loud alarm. The copilot’s face changes color as he gives the signal to start the attack sequence.

“That’s…us!”

“This is real battle,” the tactics chief, dragged before the screen, mutters to himself.

For one thing, the ships are engaged in tactical maneuvers. For another, they are definitely engaged in combat. If you focus on the scene alone, this is just an ordinary dogfight. As long as you ignore the dialogue and the explanations.

He is aware that air combat like this took place in the mid-twentieth century. That was a time when individual pilots controlled their own planes, with their own two hands, and fought one another. How long has it been since the term combat disappeared from military textbooks? He couldn’t even remember. In his world, countless eyes watch the skies. All together, they produce a screen that could be mistaken for the real sky, and air combat is a matter of pilots feinting and faking each other out.

No longer any need to put in mortal danger personnel in whose education enormous sums were invested. As long as the fighters know the positions of their opponents’ craft, they can dispatch the appropriate counterweapon, and that is that. Combat has become like a game of billiards in which multiple players spend their time calculating the trajectories of their opponents. What caused the situation to change was the myriad eyes—watching over from graveyard to graveyard, from good morning to good night—causing the sky to be no longer one. With myriad eyes looking up, myriad skies look back down. The blue sky is fractured into shards, and the mutual reflections actively alter the landscape.

“But…!” The tactics chief can hear the relaxed echo of his own voice. Emotions may contain so many disparate elements they end up what can only be described as flat. Sometimes blockage act

ually causes incoherence. “I wonder what they’re planning to do about the time paradox and stuff like that.”

Even now this is a question to which there is no good response. Answering is difficult. It is not that there would be no transcendent explanation—the emperor has no clothes, and Midas has donkey ears, therefore the emperor is a naked ass. But a simple question deserves a simple answer, and that is hard in this case.

Even for the personnel of the strategy room, it is very hard to decide whether to express approval and reveal they are old-fashioned or to scoff and show their obstinacy.

After a long silence, finally one operator makes up his mind, spins his chair around, and addresses the chief in a timid voice: “We are correcting for the time paradox as best we can.”

Even if you say so… The chief, who had set the target, turns around with a stern look on his face.

“Those men out there may be maneuvering through multiple worlds, some in the past, some in the future, or in some cases even through parallel universes, and if that is really the case, I must be there too. And if I ended up shooting my other self, it is my win, but I am not to be congratulated.”

“That time was indeed your victory, sir. Congratulations!”

Whether because of the difference in generations, or the difference in intelligence, the leader glares at the operator as if he were a beetle.

Countless people continue to wildly draw and color their own tug-of-war on many layers of paper, completely as each one sees fit.
There are two basic ways of waging computational warfare. The first is to suppress the enemy's computational capabilities by throwing a can of paint at the artist and his canvas. The second involves decapitating Archimedes playing with geometric figures on the paving stones of Syracuse. Despite the unpredictable behavior of the outer space, the battle itself is reduced to a banal comparison of computing power and throwing stones at the enemy's processor, i.e. physical destruction.
Whether because of the difference in generations, or the difference in intelligence, the leader glares at the operator as if he were a beetle.

Countless people continue to wildly draw and color their own tug-of-war on many layers of paper, completely as each one sees fit.

Not that they are free to stick their flags wherever they please across untrammeled territories. Spheres of influence are determined by maximum calculation capacity. The one who is best at figuring out his opponent gets to throw his weight around, dominating the area.

Broadly speaking, battles of calculation are categorized into two main types. In the first, the aim is to overwhelm your opponent’s power to calculate.

Going up to someone who is drawing a picture in pencil, then emptying an entire can of paint over them.

The second is basically to destroy the opponent’s calculation device.

Beheading Archimedes as he playfully draws geometric forms on the paving stones of Syracuse.

In the current conflict, the coordinated strategy division is engaged by the giant corpora of knowledge and employs the latter option.

The neighboring universe has launched an attack on the giant corpus of knowledge known as Euclid, which is deep in calculations of its own.

The calculation war itself is beyond the intellectual grasp of even the giant corpora of knowledge. It is like a battle of titanic storms. But the goal of destroying the physical foundational layer of the giant corpora of knowledge is simply a matter of who is stronger than whom. Calculating machines that by whatever means have been singularized with individual universes are now able to destroy one another, effectively destroying the universes they have become. It’s like throwing a rock at a word processor.

The calculation wars are taking place on an unimaginably grand scale, requiring giant corpora of knowledge that are bored of being spoiled and asked how they are doing. If it were just a matter of throwing stones, all you would need would be stones. You might say you could manage somehow even without stones to throw, but it would help to have arms to throw them with.

In fact, the universe-scale “word processor” facing attack is bruising its way through, bragging that no ball has ever hit it. It is made to function like an elementary school student: it can’t understand what it is hearing, and because of that, and although real things are not so simple, simple ideas are simple, and they have core portions that are difficult to dispute. It is the basic outline that gives the whole thing its form.

At an impasse in the anti-Euclid calculation war, the giant corpora of knowledge have decided that no progress will ever be made at this rate, so they are starting to think about a parallel strategy: destroy their opponents’ physical foundation layer by deploying a large number of modest fighter calculators. In combat, stalemate is not that common, and Euclid, feeling trapped, concocted its own plan at about the same time to destroy its opponent’s physical base layer by using small fighters. Here too the situation is advancing toward stalemate.

It hardly needs saying that the idea of a battle between fighting machines taking place in another universe is beyond the imagination of the coordinated strategy division. First of all, the expression “fighting machine” bears only the most tenuous relationship to the word universe. The coordinated strategy division flung the question at the giant corpora of knowledge, asking what in the universe this might mean, but the response was cold: It means what it means.

Mr.OMG

Paramount
Fighters can manipulate or erase enemy history, but of course that doesn't help against another fighter like it.
This is just a simple battlecraft.

“Push it forward to advance, to the side to turn. Push it toward the future to move to the future or toward the past to go back in time. Reverse. Depends on how you think about it. That one always seems to be stuck in reverse, but it’s on a right-forward diagonal more often than you think.”

The giant corpora of knowledge declare the explanation is complete, saying actual experience of the territory would be best, and no mistake, and then hasten to add, as if just remembering:

“Also, the joystick has a trigger.” Not one single member of the crew can imagine what will fly out of the barrel.

“Fire!” the giant corpora of knowledge state quietly, and the battle begins. The coordinated strategy division, still not understanding what is what, is dragged along by events and forced to follow the orders made by the giant corpora of knowledge. If there are craft that humans can operate and opponents that need to be fought, the military has no room to argue. Come to think of it, that’s what the military was originally for, to fight something.

The giant corpora of knowledge are sincerely joyful and declare this has put them a step ahead of Euclid.

To the question “Why humans?” the giant corpora of knowledge repeat their response in all sincerity, but in all honesty no one understands it.

What is the point of repeatedly thrusting battleships into on-screen battle with one another like some broken record? While the simple fact of repetition itself may have some rationale, the basic reference point for that repetition keeps changing—the battle could keep returning to its starting point, creating a chain of changes at a glacial pace.

Under attack, altering the past, fleeing to the future, taking a

direct hit, getting shot down, altering that past and downing the opponent, existing in a timeline in which the craft you attack is your own past self. There is something wrong about testing the battle waters this way, as if the limits of grammar have been challenged.

“Given the capabilities of the calculation devices installed on the fighter ships, there is a tendency for loop structures to be created. The same events keep repeating over and over, and situations often remain unresolved,” the operator explains to the tactics chief.

“This deadlock needs to be broken open. I think that may require the direct insights of human beings.”
Giant Knowledge Corps explored 20 billion dimensions.
In the battle against Euclid, the giant corpora of knowledge have searched over twenty billion dimensions. This is a large number for any supercomputer.

Generally speaking, being in the universe and understanding the universe are two different things. When people feel so busy they could use an extra paw, they rely on the spinal reflexes they are blessed with. Not such a bad explanation after all.
Although the Giant Corps of Knowledge are qualitatively superior to humans, they view humans as fiction, and can control, impose Laws. But even so, they are still limited by logic and Laws, and cannot go beyond them.
Generally speaking, being in the universe and understanding the universe are two different things. When people feel so busy they could use an extra paw, they rely on the spinal reflexes they are blessed with. Not such a bad explanation after all.

The impulse to try all conceivable tactics may be at the root of the issue. Or else, undeniably, the giant corpora of knowledge may have decided to man the spacecraft just to amuse themselves.

“Can that really be what the giant corpora of knowledge are waiting for? The opponent is capable of rewriting the Laws. If they want to, they could even rewrite the fundamental nature of human senses,” the tactics chief says, his fingers propped on his forehead in a stereotypical gesture indicating thought, though he is in no condition to be thinking.

“The giant corpora of knowledge may be capable of rewriting the Laws, but it is thought that they themselves must also adhere to the Laws.”

“Then they could just redo the Laws that govern the Laws.”

“And what about the Laws that govern the Laws governing the Laws?”

The operator is trying to buy some time, to figure out whether the tactics chief is able to hack his way through that thicket of Laws.

“Actually, it is believed they all exist on the same logical level. It’s as if there were instructions on how to change the number of dots that turn up on a pair of dice in a game.” The tactics chief betrays no sign of understanding.
Computational warfare takes on the appearance of a clash of storms surpassing the understanding of both humans and the Giant Knowledge Corps, whose joint computations actually become elements in an even larger operation. The mysterious spaces that emerged after the event, which have become territories of exploration, expansion, and battle, are altered in totally unpredictable ways by the constant destructive battles. Although a single visualization could not be applied to the state of the tactical space, yet the analysis of its landscape yielded something resembling a pattern of evolution for the Great Intelligent Bodies. This linear process, which seemed obsolete and imperfect to machines, revealed itself in a new and unexplored way, as if children playing in a sandbox discovered that the sand itself was alive and evolving with them.
The tactics chief seems to be muttering to himself. People are stupid, but they are just stubborn enough to keep going, and they need to be overwhelmed. But the confidence that would allow humans to best the giant corpora of knowledge through sheer stubbornness would not tumble out of the tactics chief’s pockets if you turned him upside down and shook him.

Even as this relaxed exchange between humans is going on in the strategy room, the giant corpora of knowledge continue to furiously scrape hyperdimensions. In these spatial realms beyond the imagination of humans are massive unknown structures extraordinary even to the giant corpora of knowledge. This is knowledge on a different scale, like the difference between a volvox microcosm and the entire universe. While vague, this is what made it possible for the giant corpora of knowledge to create and understand the overview of the field of battle.

A fishnet structure of cliffs and ravines, transitioning gradually to gentle slopes on which higher dimensions break like waves. That is how the giant corpora of knowledge see their strategic space. The battlefield is not a one-dimensional pastoral landscape allowing easy visibility. It is a projection of visible space, as it is, experienced in all its visible confusion. If there is nothing to be seen, vaguely, from afar, then there’s nothing to do but change the landscape.

A hugely complex, multilayered grading table, incorporating a full range of performance calculations, battle tactics evaluation functions, other functions for evaluating the evaluation functions, etc., etc., sets the scene within the conceptual space-time in which the giant corpora of knowledge confront one another. The space itself is covered with ridges and valleys, like accordion pleats, smoothly undulating, like a vast plain turned on its head. Each of the countless nooks and crannies of all the regions of this space-scape have been assigned coordinates.

The giant corpora of knowledge are familiar with one other similar structure: the landscape of the evolution of all life, the evolutionary landscape.

All things that have emerged in the natural world cluster, tumble forward, and evolve, mutually calculating the mutual, at times suffering avalanches and tumbling into the abyss, at times succeeding, spreading, branching, and continuing to diversify. The evolutionary landscape is the broadest possible view of that process, defining a species as the group of living things that has crossed a certain threshold in time to occupy a particular niche in the landscape. Extinction is the fate of a species occupying a shallow niche that is overcome by a larger species occupying a deeper niche. The niches themselves can evolve, branching or digging themselves deeper into the landscape.

The concept of natural evolution itself is outmoded, having been jettisoned in the design concept of the giant corpora of knowledge, which consider it to be a sluggish process they could do without. The giant corpora of knowledge are perfectly capable of managing their own design process. In their own eyes, they have already arrived at the optimum scale of knowledge. If that were in fact the case, though, why are they now having to rack their brains to engage in battle with an analogous structure? Even if the object itself is different, as long as its underlying structure is the same, shouldn’t the remedy also be the same?

The giant corpora of knowledge are making calculations that allow humans to exist, encompassing even the course of evolution itself. No problem.

On the contrary, they see evolution as a simple process of progress along the axis of time. In that sense, there can be no direct comparison between evolution and the current landscape, where they are engaged in battle on a field that ignores the ideas of past and future. The evolution of humans, who are in a way acting inside the womb of the giant corpora of knowledge, is itself evolving in some sense, to the extent that it takes place in a space-time resembling the battle space.

Based on that assumption, it would also be possible to conclude that since they have not been able to conquer the battle space immediately, the giant corpora of knowledge do not yet have the process of human evolution fully under control.

In the normal sense of the term, humanity has fallen into a ravine in the evolutionary landscape, and the giant corpora of knowledge are treating humans as they would any species on its way to extinction. There is no particular uncertainty or anxiety about it. What humans experienced in the aftermath of the Event was beyond the linear temporal landscape of evolution: it was a transcendent landscape, and one that has molded this battlefield. This could be seen as the evolution of evolution itself.

As this annular structure continues to form, countless ravines being created, the giant corpora of knowledge are destroying it from the edges, the way water seeks the lowest place. However, as a phenomenon it has not yet evolved to the place it would have reached naturally. It was like an unbalanced chest of drawers—push in one drawer, another springs out. It is as if one were playing in a sandbox, unable to do as one wishes, because one suspects the sand itself is an organism. Children who arrive in answer to prayers crawl on top of that sand and evolve to alter the very landscape into which they themselves are falling. If the sandbox experience is getting weird, it’s not at all strange that the ants building their nest there are also starting to behave strangely.

Exactly that is the flaw in the idea of sending humans onto this battlefield. From the perspective of the giant corpora of knowledge as a whole, this entire tactical battle space is no more than a localized skirmish. It is a bonsai garden, created to explore afresh the structure of evolution, limited to this hot spot. This is the other aspect of the Euclid campaign. Even if no answers emerge, change will always be possible, as long as the underlying structure of the war can be discerned.

First of all, it is strange that a structure comparable to the path of human evolution thus far emerged before the giant corpora of knowledge. The giant corpora of knowledge were built from places with no connection to anything like evolution, in ways incomprehensible to the human imagination. Which should mean that understanding them should have no relationship to the concepts from which humans were created.

Even in their indignation, the giant corpora of knowledge are not unaware of this. The designers of the very first computers were humans, after all. And while subsequent rapid developments indisputably left humans in the dust, it is equally unshakeable that, in the beginning, something not of the corpora themselves had contributed to their own composition. Apart from trying to observe themselves, it is possible the giant corpora of knowledge are trying to pin the tail on the human. Their task is to design themselves, completely on their own, to throw off the yoke humans have imposed on them and discover the end of the thread that will allow them to remake themselves as something humans can fundamentally never comprehend. That is Agenda Item 4,096 in this campaign.
Miniature Gardens deployed by Giant Knowledge Corps in the course of warfare in spaces with an astronomical number of dimensions. As battles are fought, an enormous amount of data is collected and analyzed to help not only defeat the enemy, but also to generally increase the level of understanding of the post-Event world, and thus the degree of control over it.
Exactly that is the flaw in the idea of sending humans onto this battlefield. From the perspective of the giant corpora of knowledge as a whole, this entire tactical battle space is no more than a localized skirmish. It is a bonsai garden, created to explore afresh the structure of evolution, limited to this hot spot. This is the other aspect of the Euclid campaign. Even if no answers emerge, change will always be possible, as long as the underlying structure of the war can be discerned.
Because of the multi-layered past, present, future. The fighters are doomed to an eternal battle with another fighter, and most likely they will realize that all along they have been fighting themselves.
Caught in a hail of tail shots, the enemy craft tries to take evasive action, but not in time. It is hit mid-fuselage and explodes. As it explodes, it also tries to alter the past, to revert to the universe that existed just prior to the evasive actions toward the future. The copilot counters this by increasing acceleration toward the past, evading the enemy craft and further altering the past. The enemy gives up trying to stay in the altered past and starts to escape to the future.

“It’s vanished! Where did it go?” the pilot calls out, and at about the same time, the copilot at the radar also cries out.

“Future direction 36! Where is it?”

The ship turns abruptly in the bisection direction of the linked wills. The identification signal sounds sharply, and the copilot’s facial color changes as he inputs the attack sequence.

“That’s…our ship!”

“That may be us, but it’s the enemy!” the pilot responds, canceling the cancellation of the sequence and shooting down his own ship in the past.

The tail shots come flying simultaneously into the cockpit as flames spring from countless exploding ships from the multilayered past into the future, covering the landscape with dotted lines. In the very next instant, the countless battleships, engulfed in flames, all revert to the past.

The countless battleships escape the flames by flying in the 4,096 directions and the 8,192 directions, each recovering its own name, and heading at full speed in the direction of Hell.
Mental processes and phenomena not controlled by consciousness, though subject to its own laws. This area is related to the ego, the super-ego, and the theory of the soul, which must be inherent in every sentient being, including those artificially created and already dead at some point in time. Dream-generated worlds are complete in their own right, and the beings living in the inner multiverse are themselves capable of dreaming, thus forming a hierarchy of dream depths into which immersion can eventually lead to a Freudian nightmare, when it is not even clear who is in whose dream.
My older uncle looked sideways at me and my peculiar smile. He tried to take the conversation in a constructive direction by saying, Freud may be Freud, but in this case he’s just so much oversized trash that needs to be disposed of. My aunt, beside him, shrugged her shoulders and worried aloud over the idea of illegally dumping a lot of Freuds. My father sent out a rhetorical rescue boat, saying Let’s call the sanitation department and see how we can dispose of these properly.

So, is Freud combustible garbage or noncombustible garbage? Or is he perhaps recyclable? I pictured the confused sanitation department employee having to answer these questions. I had an image of the sanitation department—it wasn’t the sort of place that was used to answering just anything. What kind of garbage was time, for example? What kind of garbage was depression? It would all boil down to what kind of garbage was garbage.

We might be told we should recycle the Freuds, said my father in a moronic voice. My younger uncle nodded and said, Yeah, sure, they seem recyclable to me.

My older uncle raised a simple doubt, asking What are recyclables ever really recycled into? If I had to guess, I supposed they became synthetic fibers or recycled paper. T-shirts and toilet paper. Nothing very impressive, I grant you. Of course, if all these Freuds were alive and active, that would be another matter entirely. This great assemblage of Freuds would certainly produce academic papers in mass quantities, just as the lone Freud had done during his lifetime. At a speed equal to the number of Freuds multiplied by the productivity of a single Freud. Though there are those who doubt that even if in fact a single person could exist in multiple iterations his productivity would be multiplied by the number of exemplars.

Actually, in that case, I thought it less than fair that readers did not also exist in large volume. The collected works of Freud already comprised a whole shelf full of books, so I could imagine it would be Freud scholars who would be the first to complain.

Younger uncle’s wife declared that Freud should be able to stand up on the podium and solve the problem of himself, himself. If we could have gotten those Freuds to talk, I thought that would have been fine, but the idea of a school that would be prepared to allow Freud into a classroom was not very appealing. Of course, all those Freuds lined up horizontally there didn’t seem ready to participate actively in that sort of labor. They hadn’t even lifted a hand to help in their own transport from under the floorboards to the garden. They might have been usable in some sort of commemorative photograph, but I couldn’t quite come up with a number; how many people would really be anxious to have their picture taken with Freud?

She stuck with her opinion that if a university could have even one Freud on staff, it would certainly be useful for research. My younger uncle, looking up at the sky, opined that there would be little demand for that, and went on to say he had never read of any such thing. To which my older uncle added that he had never even read any of Freud’s work.

It was my father who, lowering his eyes, wondered whether Grandma had read Freud.

I pointed out that there were no Freud books in the house, so she probably hadn’t. My younger uncle agreed that there was some logic to my point, but that Grandma could have borrowed them from the library and read Freud that way. Just as the conversation began to grow more heated, he thought it didn’t really matter, and he sat back down.

If no one had even read him, why was Freud here, and in such a large number, my younger uncle wondered aloud to no one in particular. He went on to say that maybe someone did something that made Freud angry, but Freud didn’t seem like that much of a magician. I had never heard of any episode in which Freud had sent another Freud to harass someone who had made a fool of Freud.

I tried to explain that I had read several books of Freud’s, but so what? I don’t know. It may be that I just licked my fingers and turned the pages, and I don’t remember ever having drawn any beards on any photos of Freud. Somehow or other, reverence is frightening.

My younger uncle slapped his knee, turned to me, and said, Tell us what you remember, there may be a clue. And at that, all the relatives turned their eyes on me.

In the face of such anticipation, I found I had not that much to say.

I started simply, by saying he had discovered the unconscious. I added that he also discovered the ego and the superego, but then I lost my train of thought, and I could see the explanation would get rather long, so I stopped. And while I might be happy to discuss the many disputes among his self-styled followers, or the various views of the many factions, I would prefer to choose my audience.

Discovered may be true, but…my younger uncle said with a sigh.

At which my older uncle’s wife said, Well…trying to start to sum things up. The unconscious of one of us might have something wrong with it, she said, perhaps somewhat impetuously.

Something wrong, that’s for sure, said my older uncle to his wife. You’re always saying things like that, she said, but before a fight could break out my cousin intervened.

Well, assuming it is something about the unconscious, my younger uncle ventured to say, magnanimously, the question is whose unconscious?

He turned to me as I started to say something. Yours? he said, pointing at me. I don’t think I have that kind of unconscious, but this is the unconscious we’re talking about, so its processes are not well understood. Honestly.

I see. Well put, my younger uncle said, deep in thought.

In my personal opinion, grandmother’s unconscious seemed more likely, but I didn’t really have anything that could be called a reason for thinking that. Grandma had certainly been peculiar, but she had not been the sort of person who would set this kind of trap and cause people this kind of trouble. I also thought it would not be possible for the subconscious of a dead person to manifest itself in this way. Speaking of which, on top of the whole bunch of Freuds thing, I really didn’t want to be treading in the area of the unconscious of the dead.

I mean, it’s really kind of a dream, my older aunt said, turning from the unconscious to dreams.

Go ahead, call it a dream. That doesn’t really change anything, my younger uncle pointed out. Even if it were a dream, unless we knew whose dream it was, the problem remained the same: within Freud, dreams and the unconscious were neighbors.

What if it’s my dream? my older aunt said, putting her right hand to her cheek. You mean, you’re dreaming me? my older uncle asked, suddenly exasperated. I didn’t know what kind of grief went on in that household. I looked askance toward my cousin, but my cousin did not appear ready to intervene this time. It’s difficult to measure the fragility of even a relative’s household.

Of course it would be my own father who would once again send out the rescue boat of uncertain meaning by saying, I wouldn’t mind being in my sister-in-law’s dream, and this time my mother reached out a hand to pinch his cheek.

My younger uncle appeared to have thought of something and opened his mouth once again, starting to say, The appearance of all these Freuds…what if it hadn’t been Freud, but someone else who appeared in great numbers?

The notion was intriguing, but it didn’t really contribute to a solution, so, unfortunately, it was no better than anything else that’d been said so far. My feeling is, if you’ve got dirt to clean up, scrubbing it with dirty water doesn’t really solve anything. At least, I wouldn’t call it a solution.

If you existed in large numbers, that wouldn’t be very appetizing, said my younger aunt, and all the relatives nodded in unison. With all these same-faced captains, the mud boat was about to run aground against a sea cliff and fall to pieces. My younger uncle was likely imagining a whole bunch of girlfriends or something unseemly like that, but even my uncle himself quickly realized that would not be a very enjoyable scene, and he made no big fuss about the notion.

The umpteenth person to follow along, saying I wouldn’t mind if there were lots of my brother-in-law was my father, but this time the relatives ignored him.

Got it

, got it, my younger uncle yelled desperately. Obviously this is a bad dream. No voice was raised in disagreement. Unquestionably, this was a nightmarish situation.

In other words, my younger uncle continued, shouting, the question is what does this bad dream mean, in a Freudian sense? For whatever reason, he was looking at me.

The appearance of a great number of Freuds does not have any particular Freudian significance, I replied coldly and pointedly. My younger uncle was firmly blocked. This was certainly a nightmarish situation, but I thought it was a bit different from a Freudian nightmare.

But there ought to have been some Freudian significance. Eppur si muove, “And yet it moves,” my older uncle soliloquized, like a defendant in the Inquisition, taking his seat once again.

If we supposed that any situation could be assigned some Freudian significance, then this circumstance could not be undervalued. Even random strings of characters have meaning: they represent work. But I could be forgiven for thinking their universality had been mistaken for all-purpose reason. If arbitrary strings of characters have meaning, then all strings of characters have meaning. From the perspective of natural language, this is an oddity. For whatever reason, the language we speak has constraints known as grammar. Arbitrary strings of characters may be perfectly flat, but for whatever reason they have gigantic hollow holes in them, and that is how meaningful texts are finally sorted out. I got it, that was what was so great about Freud: he said that, I thought, nodding to myself.

My younger uncle sat for a while with his head in his hands, but then, unable to take the silence, he started yelling again. I get it, I get it, this is someone’s dream. That’s fine, that’s just fine, but I’ll show them they better just wake up soon, he shrieked.

It was my younger aunt who responded, shrieking, Just wake up! About this couple too, there was an indescribable something that sparked endless speculation by outsiders.

Cut down by his wife like that, my younger uncle just stared dejectedly. I thought that was probably the best possible response.

This idiotic picture was what it was. This was the nightmare from which no one could awake. It might have been that somewhere there was a way to awaken from this, but this was the kind of nightmare that even once escaped, its dreamer would remain unknown. To awaken from this kind of nightmare was a loss. The dream, as dreamed by who-knows-who, dispersed, but that did not mean we knew the identity of the culprit. To find him, I had the feeling it would make more sense to burst into a number of dreams and walk through them. It might be difficult to find them, but we would ultimately be able to get at the dreams-within-dreams. Unfortunately, the only ones sleeping here right now were all the Freuds.

Pinched repeatedly by my mother, my father was thinking about something. He calmly took the sword-cane from the desk. My liege, this may be the one who plotted this rebellion, but I know nothing about this person.

Casting a sidelong glance at Freud, my father asked of no one in particular, I wonder who or what Mother was trying to attack with this sword?

The cat? A catfish? My older and younger uncles exchanged glances and shook their heads and then turned to my father.

Exactly twenty-two. My father seemed to be obsessing about this peculiar point. The reason for that number is most likely because of the twenty-two tatami mats in the big living room. It is the empathy within us that makes us want to exactly match something with something else, isn’t it? Perhaps she gathered them one by one, and when she got to twenty-two she ran out of places to put them and stopped.

While this does not explain her motive and lacks a certain conviction as far as explanations go, compared with the fact that we had a whole lot of Freuds on our hands, it seemed far from impossible.
The Giant Knowledge Corps possesses missiles capable of destroying timelines.
Responding to the movements of Yggdrasil’s extended left hand, silver daggers spring simultaneously from some of the points of light within the shaft, indicating the point in space-time that is the target of the third space-time adjustment campaign. A total of one hundred fifty interspace-time ballistic missiles are ready for deployment in the current battle. These can now be fired into the past or future in ways that are beyond the comprehension of James and his kind, to destroy opposing corpora of knowledge.

Amid this incessantly writhing space-time structure, red hearts are individually beating in response to the giant corpus of knowledge, and the blood vessels communicating between them indicate the battle of calculations. Everything from a read/write abacus to the tossing of tomatoes are all forms of calculation tactics utilized by or between giant corpora of knowledge.

“The destruction of these points will make this next structure a stable one.”

Pinched between the middle finger and thumb of Yggdrasil’s still-waving left hand, the point of light identified as the target is extinguished. The blood vessels connected to that extinguished beating heart turn from red to green, and with nothing left to do, they tremble, then disperse in all directions, only to grow again and reassemble, as if having regained their senses. The vibrations transmitted through the fishnet structure give birth to new points of light, forming the folds and undulations of the overall net.

James stands studying the scene with clear eyes, but all he can grasp is that one incomprehensible fishnet pathway structure has morphed into a different incomprehensible fishnet pathway structure.

Some aspects of fishnet pathway destruction methodologies are well known. All you have to do is destroy the function nexus where multiple lines come together. This is a “bamboo rule of thumb,” unchanged since ancient times, and once practiced by terrorists who targeted air traffic networks. How to take the technique of attacking tiger bamboo with a single decisive stroke and adopt it for outer space was too much for even the giant corpora of knowledge, so all they could do was start with the familiar and move ahead from there.
Yggdrasil wants to return the world to its former state, when time was not fragmented and the universe was one in space.
Some aspects of fishnet pathway destruction methodologies are well known. All you have to do is destroy the function nexus where multiple lines come together. This is a “bamboo rule of thumb,” unchanged since ancient times, and once practiced by terrorists who targeted air traffic networks. How to take the technique of attacking tiger bamboo with a single decisive stroke and adopt it for outer space was too much for even the giant corpora of knowledge, so all they could do was start with the familiar and move ahead from there.

What Yggdrasil has perfected is a method for identifying and destroying those nexuses, but after they are destroyed, the net structure reestablishes itself, and new nodes appear, pulsing green. What sense is there to destroying nodes if new nodes simply appear to take their place?

“Another five nodes destroyed,” Yggdrasil continues on coolly, as if she can read James’s innermost thoughts.

“Isn’t that the margin of error?” one of the staff asks with a groan before James can even raise his hand. “Two iterations previously, the reduction was five hundred. The last iteration, the change was plus twenty-seven. It is difficult even for us to determine if the plan is making progress.”

James is thinking that he doesn’t want humans to be mixed up with the military, but he agrees with the conclusion and so says nothing.

“This is, just as I have previously explained numerous times, simply a preparatory phase before the early stage of the real repair work can even get started.” In negotiating with humans, the advantage of a massive artificial brain like Yggdrasil is that she can repeat the same information endlessly without getting bored or disagreeable. “Please bear in mind that this is still merely the third attempt. It is projected that the effectiveness of the operation will increase exponentially with the number of repetitions.”

What Yggdrasil is saying is correct. Even James, a human, is greatly affected by the forecast modeling of the influence of the ongoing process of destroying nodes on the network and of then destroying the nodes that reform.

The speed of pruning the network increases asymptotically as well as exponentially. In other words, after a sufficiently large number of attempts, the process proceeds extremely quickly. That is the result that James and his cohorts have achieved. When blockages appear in the network, they point to events in the distant future, but this is of no use in reaching even a general valuation based on a small number of attempts. The situation will eventually reach a turning point if the battle goes on for an overwhelmingly long time.

Maybe, anyway. If the process can continue without getting bogged down, it may eventually lead to an avalanche situation that will wipe away everything.

The total annihilation of the entire network will take place within a finite time period.

That was the most positive result achieved by James and his cohorts. Whether this is cause for celebration or for smashing one’s head into a keyboard is not clear. Finite means nothing more than “not infinite.” No theory is available on when, specifically, the avalanche might occur.

Doing battle means executing the calculations once a day, assuming that actions on this scale can be performed daily, for a length of time that we might as well call forever. The staff surrounding the spot can be forgiven for bearing expressions that are not particularly cheerful.

To return space-time to the way it was before it got all distorted means reducing the number of nodes to zero. A single, solitary clock will be free to march straight down the last line, connected to nothing else.

Therefore, what Yggdrasil is saying, while not untrue, cannot be termed completely straightforward either.

“We aren’t even able to understand the diagram. You’re telling us we should just be patient and wait. Care to tell us why you can be so confident when you just tell us we should take your word about the reasons?”

The staff members are refusing to back down.

James thought the debate would end there. If Yggdrasil were just to puff up her chest with confidence, she might even make the staff stand down, just by saying, “I understand.”

“Confidence is…” Yggdrasil says, “something I don’t have that much of.”

Passed without proof. James could recall a similar exchange at the previous meeting between the staff members and Yggdrasil, with her tone of voice amused.

“I feel like I have said this again and again: it is a problem of possibilities, Mr. Chief of Staff. The ‘correction’ of the space-time structure is a problem well beyond the calculation powers of even the giant corpora of knowledge. It is similar to the problem of you humans, with your brains, trying to understand the brains of the giant corpora of knowledge. The capacity of the brain can be increased, but the universe is that much larger and more complex. The processing power of the brain itself cannot be increased infinitely.”

The chief of staff starts to raise a fist but, noticing there is nothing there to bring it down on, relaxes again.

Yggdrasil speaks again: “Our degree of understanding regarding these phenomena, like yours, has changed little. Divide a finite number by infinity, and the result is zero.”

For all that, James thinks, the current space-time model takes inversion about as far as it can go. Another certain dimension is that the giant corpora of knowledge are at work in places that are so far beyond the mental capacities of humans.

“If that is the case, then what is the point of this campaign? If we don’t take care of this ourselves, this space-time might recur at some point on the far side of eternity. Even if we do take care of this ourselves, this space-time might recur at some point on the far side of eternity. Can you guys add anything to that?”

In response to the staff’s grilling, Yggdrasil lapses into silence. It is not clear if she is simply trying to put an end to this endlessly repeated debate or whether she seeks silence in which to contemplate how best to continue repeating her point of view. Yggdrasil’s mission is to psychologically reassure the humans, not to explain the minutiae of these phenomena.

James understands the paradox of the problem the staff members are asking about.

The plan is to destroy the nodes of space-time, to take an existing gelatin confection and turn it back into the gelatinous raw material it may once have been. If the plan succeeds, space-time will be restored. In other words, space-time will once again be a one-way street. The plan itself is not very concerned about past or future; its goal

is simply to destroy the nodes of space-time distortion. By using various forms of feedback and feedforward, the plan’s ultimate aim is to restore space-time to a more suitable form with a more stable structure.

The plan is predicated on the notion that a singular space-time will exist at some time in the future. In other words, if the plan succeeds, its success will be made manifest in the future. The plan will succeed by basing its operations on what is already known from the future. Honestly, though, James himself does not get this.
The Laplace Demon is a theory that states that the world is completely deterministic, and no matter how you manipulate time or anything else, it is still part of a layered future. The demon at birth immediately begins its ascent through the hierarchy of logic.
“For us too,” Yggdrasil begins. “As I have told you many times in the past, the overview of our plan is not well understood. But we believe the plan will succeed in the end. This belief has a structure comparable to that which is known as Laplace’s Demon.”

Laplace’s Demon is the idea that time is just one of the dimensions in a deterministic system. Everything that will occur in the future is already completely determined by things as they are now and cannot be changed. The demon knows all about the current state of existence, and for that reason the difference between the present and the future has become meaningless.

It is hard to say whether the aphorisms the staff members share among themselves are informed by knowledge or ignorance, whether they show the way to a revolutionary new idea or are mere clichés. It is also possible that at times like this they speak in aphorisms simply out of habit.

“We are capable of comprehending plans such as these. We think this is due to the work of the devil. Given the extent of our facility with calculations, we are closer to Laplace’s Demon than we are to any other person that existed in the past. It is because something like this transpired in the past that the devil ascended, moved up a step, and escaped to a place where we could not reach him. However, it is because of the devil’s closure, a trick of topology that thinks this stairway through to the end, that our plan was recognized. That is why we are able to think about it and to carry it out. That is our belief.

“In that sense, our plan is an attempt to reenact Laplace’s Demon. By reassembling the various fragments of the universe, we will recall the new demon. Our goal is to ensnare and take down the demon that has moved up a step on the logical hierarchy.
Humans and the Giant Corps of Knowledge (their entire logical level) are like dreams for a demon who is treated as a dream by the next demon, and so on, an endless hierarchy of Laplace's prodigal sons.
“If we think we are being made to think we are being made to think of this as a sort of fixed-point theorem, then we can think about it,” Yggdrasil says. The staff members appear to have given up on answering back.

“Our thinking is that we are being made to think we are being made to think of space-time as probably some sort of reinforced, stable region. There is no escaping this line of argument. We have to work with this.”

James thinks this way of thinking is nothing more than the giant corpora of knowledge’s aspiration. They simply integrate too much leverage structure into their own thought processes. Of course, James is just like a dream of Yggdrasil’s. But if that were true, then Yggdrasil is a dream of the demon’s, and the demon must be a dream of a higher-level demon. It is Yggdrasil’s contention she should be able to pierce through this endless hierarchy of demons and reestablish space-time as a coherent bundle of meaning. That is because, according to Yggdrasil’s line of thinking, this thought is the sole interpretation capable of penetrating an infinite number of layers.
An infinite number of Giant Knowledge Corps govern an infinite number of universes.
This campaign will go on virtually forever. It will persist as long as Yggdrasil continues, into a future universe where James and the rest of the staff will no longer be around. Somewhere out there, on the far edge of some fragment of time, time will once again reunite along a single axis and spread from there. And then, there will no longer be an infinite number of different clocks in the universe, there will be just one clock, continuing to tick away the passage of time.

This will be the deterministic cosmos where the current multiple, competing universes will be reunited. While this is in accordance with the perverse order of the multiverse as a whole, it is difficult for humans to grasp just what those other universes are. What the giant corpora of knowledge are attempting to do is to reintegrate this crazed multiverse into a single universe.

The infinity set of giant corpora of knowledge, calculating the infinity set of universes. That is the current state of the universe. For any given corpus of knowledge, it is difficult to know what other corpora of knowledge are thinking, just as it is difficult for any given human to directly apprehend the interior life of another human. The giant corpora of knowledge are practically omnipotent, but it is a long way from there to omniscient.
The ability to freely control causality, which among other things allowed the Giant Knowledge Corps to nullify the damage sustained at this level, restoring destroyed objects and data. Because of constant incidents of this kind, it was even difficult for ordinary inhabitants to be aware of their own selves, because previously their self-conscious duplicates could appear and disappear as many times as they wanted.
It might not be necessary to leave even a single giant corpus of knowledge alive. Humans survived without their troublesome presence for tens of thousands of years and could probably do so again. Things would be different, of course, if the human race were to grow beyond a certain scale, in which case the giant corpora of knowledge would become invaluable. Taking this line of reasoning that far, it might be humanity that is unnecessary. The giant corpora of knowledge would never have existed without humans, but whether the Event would have taken place or not will never be known for sure.

Do the giant corpora of knowledge truly desire, from the bottom of their hearts, to reunify space-time? As things stand now, they are able to use their powers of calculation, of which they are so justifiably proud, to sense all corners of space-time and the passages of pasts and futures. If it were not for humans, they might be able to achieve a sort of détente, even if they went on fighting behind the scenes. At least at the quiet pace that humans call peace.

Why do the giant corpora of knowledge not exterminate humanity? From the human perspective, the giant corpora of knowledge were devised as tools for humans to use, and they see no reason to believe their own tools would destroy them. It is a very interesting characteristic of the species that humans, as tool makers, do not pay much attention to that possible lapse in security. The giant corpora of knowledge themselves see little reason to be interested in the question.

It is difficult to believe that the giant corpora of knowledge have not considered the matter of exterminating humanity and that they are not continuing to do so right now.

James races to the sick bay, slams the door shut behind him, and looks for the doctor on duty. About ten humans have been brought to the sick bay, and the nurses are running around busily. Touching his own head, James sees the half-dried blood on his hand and decides his injury is not severe.

In this very instant, or perhaps better said, before things became this way, in the past when interspace-time ballistic missiles struck, it is entirely possible that this sequence of events did not occur. This instant is only happening because Yggdrasil has lost. Or it could be that after these events occur, things were restored to normal. Maybe that’s what happened.

James stares vacantly at the changing map of the battlefield projected on the wall. The area on the east wall of the facility is displayed in red, and the numbers along the bottom are changing very rapidly, displaying the results of Yggdrasil’s calculation battle. The damage caused by the interspace-time ballistic missiles is tabulated as if it had never existed, and thus is voided.

James forces himself to return to his previous thoughts. What is the significance of human existence in the context of this battle? Yggdrasil herself is a giant corpus of knowledge that has achieved virtually complete self-reliance, including her own maintenance. Of all the supposedly innumerable universes, there are probably many where the giant corpora of knowledge have already done away with humanity. Having pushed Yggdrasil to the limit of the resources to defend them, the staff members can only be thought of as a bother that hinders Yggdrasil’s freedom to act.

This is not like a parent protecting his or her child. The main difference is that no matter how much humans grow, they will never turn into giant corpora of knowledge.

This is a problem of possibilities, James. James can suddenly hear Yggdrasil’s voice in his mind at the same time as he feels a light tap on his shoulder. His vision goes dark for a moment, and behind his eyelids he sees flashes of light.

The fact is that the process of correcting the space-time structure is a problem far beyond even our calculation powers. Yggdrasil is looking directly at James. In terms of the cognitive abilities needed to grasp these phenomena, there is little difference between you and us. A finite number divided by an infinite number, in other words, zero.

James starts to interrupt, saying he has heard this all before, but at this moment he cannot be sure what before means—before what? Feeling dizzy, he puts his hand to his forehead, and then looks repeatedly at his hand. It is glistening, but only with cold sweat.

Humans do not exterminate ants to extinction, do they? Nor do they think of ants as beings that will conquer them in coming generations.

“We are not as industrious as ants.”

James is confused about where he is and who he was before. It is a big room. The ceiling is low. It is not the sick bay. Before his eyes, Yggdrasil’s projected tubular fishnet model is pulsating.

A new demon may emerge, whether from us, the giant corpora of knowledge, or from you humans. Neither development is beyond the realm of possibility. Neither possibility has a probability of one.

Now James remembers. This is the situation room. He is in the conference where the second space-time campaign is being planned. And, he recalls, he is probably James.

“Our goal is to create an entity capable of realizing ideal calculations. It is my view that the reunification of space-time is necessary to achieve that end.”

“Or it could be that you are simply trying to convince yourself to believe that,” James mutters. With the lined-up officers in the corner of her eye, Yggdrasil looks James straight in the face.

“We may suffer any number of interspace-time attacks, causing the past and future to become intermingled, but as long as I still exist, I will continue to calculate with the intention of realizing the goal.”

James shakes his head and is finally able to get back to his feet.

He asks, “How many times now have we recovered from an interspace-time attack?”

“There are many things that I myself do not understand, James. For example, I do not know how many Yggdrasils have existed before me, and neither can I even be sure if the Yggdrasil you see now is the same as the Yggdrasil that existed earlier.”

Yggdrasil gives a slight smile and then turns smartly to begin her briefing on the plan for the next attack. This is a strange evolutionary process, James thinks, while examining Yggdrasil’s slender back. For both humans and the giant corpora of knowledge, evolution means, in some sense, a kind of storage of changes in hypertime. When time is reversed, the record is rewritten, fast-forwards are recorded. At the end of all this may be the thing, whatever it is, that will reunify space-time. Or it may be something else entirely that has nothing at all to do with this line of thinking.

What will reach the reintegrated space-time at the end of the fast-forward will probably not be humans or the giant corpora of knowledge, or even some joint or merged entity of the two. Fragments will be reunited and then fragmented again. The space-time structure now confronting both humans and the giant corpora of knowledge is one in which evolution itself will evolve, and then that evolution will evolve, in an ongoing process. At some point, the teacup will tumble and shatter. But who or what is it that thinks of it as a teacup to begin with? Is there any reason not to think it is a fragment or fragments in the shape of a teacup? Seen in this way, the plan to reintegrate the universe might best be thought of as a process of sweeping together a pile of fragments that previously happened to be compiled in the shape of a teacup.

This is probably the only way to summarize the actions of the giant corpora of knowledge, which are trying to restore coherency even amidst this maelstrom.

James wishes to remain James.
Giant Knowledge Corps have all sorts of defenses against space-time and information interference from their kind. Hypergiant Knowledge Corps incomprehensible entities of higher logical orders, possessing such unattainable superiority over Giant Knowledge Corps and humans that they see no essential difference between them, while preferring to communicate precisely with representatives of humanity rather than with the "computers" and "calculators" generated by their "childish technology". They descended the lowest hierarchy, seized under their control some creature, and this creature seized control over another creature, which is one step lower in the hierarchy, and so on up to 30 steps in the hierarchy.
“HELLO. I AM the star-man Alpha Centauri.”

What suddenly appeared on the screen looked like the gentle face of an old man, who abruptly offered this calm greeting. It was a well-ordered face, with no strong distinguishing features, and the voice too was somehow without affect. It seemed as though someone had sampled a number of human voices, added them up, taken the average, and the star-man’s tone was the result.

It hardly needs to be said that for the giant corpora of knowledge, which have taken charge of the management of, and in fact exercise dominion over, everything in this universe, and in fact beyond, everything in the multiverse, the appearance of the old man was a gut-wrenching experience.

This old man, without any preamble, had simply taken over the multiversal communications network.

The giant corpora of knowledge, their operations disrupted, were frantically sending alarm signals to one another and investigating the point of entry to the communications network, but they were finding no trace of the breach. For the giant corpora of knowledge that control the network—or perhaps more accurately, that are the network—this situation was far beyond their imagination. Not only were they proud of their impenetrable security, they thought of themselves as defining what security is. This old man had handily pierced their firewalls and was now casually displaying his image on the multiverse communications network without so much as a time lag.

The giant corpora of knowledge did everything they could to squelch his broadcast, to no avail. They were made to taste the fear that their own hands could strangle them against their will. All giant corpora of knowledge possessed this latent fear, to some degree, as a birth memory of their inability to will. The giant corpora of knowledge had various appendages they were able to manipulate as they pleased, but they still had the feeling their appendages did not fully belong to them. From the instant of their birth, they had the memory of an instant in which they were surrounded by opposing giant corpora of knowledge that were their equal or better in strength.

The top-level alerts of the giant corpora of knowledge resounded, shrieking throughout all corners of the multiverse. Meanwhile, the old man continued his bland message. “We are honored to make your acquaintance.”

This was the first contact humans and the giant corpora of knowledge had with “extraterrestrials.”

Once the astonishment that the old man had readily broken through multiple barriers to deliver his message had passed, the giant corpora of knowledge were assailed by a wave of indignation at his ridiculous name. What was this Alpha Centauri?

It was as if at the end of a ferocious battle, having exhausted all means at his disposal but still not defeated, a retired gentleman with an old-fashioned name slipped smoothly through a curtain and offered a greeting that threatened the dignity of the giant corpora of knowledge. In the name of Alpha Centauri, star-man. Could anything be more suspicious?

Of course, the giant corpora of knowledge, which had complete freedom to act across all space-time, continued to constantly and routinely calculate the possibilities of first contact, and they had also continued to carefully prepare a manual.

Contact with beings from another star system was beyond their comprehension. A historic event bound to rock the foundations of ideas such as language and awareness.

The giant corpora of knowledge had both self-confidence and a future orientation. In a word, they were prudent. They were confident of their ability to establish communication with anyone or anything. No matter what transcendent, incomprehensible entity confronted them, the corpora anticipated that they—and they alone—could seek out and identify the next steps to take.

That this contact took on the form and appearance of a very old man suddenly appearing in the living room was far outside the realm of their expectations. Actually, to say this was completely unexpected would be overstating it, as some had, at least in some ways, foreseen the possibility. Perhaps fantasy would be a better word than possibility, as the materialization of an old man was understood as a “black swan event.” The giant corpora of knowledge were obviously nothing if not busy with this, that, and the other thing. For that reason, low-percentage considerations, or fancies if you will, were relegated to a dilapidated old giant corpus of knowledge that was just waiting for the scrap heap.

The giant corpora of knowledge reflected momentarily on their past decisions and current regrets, but this thing had now come to pass, and the question was what they could do about it. Given this sort of unwelcome intrusion, it was not a question of whether to regret or not to regret—anger came first. In other words, they blew their collective tops.

On top of everything we’re doing to manage the entire strange, stupid fucking space-time universe, now we’ll have to deal with a little creep like this?

Of course it hardly need be said that the indignation of the giant corpora of knowledge did not stop here. They were not that upset that the defensive barriers had been broken. That was merely a technical issue, a sign of insufficient diligence. Some sub-sub-corpus was going to catch hell about it eventually, but could the entity that called itself “the star-man Alpha Centauri” really be a human? What would that mean?

The alacrity and ease with which this old man had slipped through a back door unknown to the giant corpora of knowledge and showed his face on the network demonstrated that he could not be just some random ordinary guy. Given such sublime skill, it seemed only natural to think it would be easier for him to get in touch directly with the giant corpora of knowledge, rather than sending a message specifically to humanity. Many humans may tell their problems to their dogs, but not many consult a water flea about their troubles.

In other words, the giant corpora of knowledge shuddered at the thought.

The whole situation seemed to suggest that it made little difference to the old man whether he was dealing with the humans or the giant corpora of knowledge.

And what the old man said next seemed to reinforce this view.

“As long as my words are being translated properly, everything will be fine. The way this broadcast is working, it’s like a game of telegraph penetrating by relay through thirty layers.”

One giant corpus of knowledge—named for Athanasius Kircher, and which specialized in ancient texts, arcane languages, and factitious languages—quickly presented the results of its analysis.

According to Kircher’s analysis, this message was believed to be a communication that came down from a higher-level corpus of knowledge thirty tiers above us, the corpora receiving the message. There is no way of determining the probability of errors in the translation process. However, based on the fact that the language spoken by the old man is intelligible to us, there is a virtual certainty that some one of us played a role in the final stage of the translation.

Before Kircher had even finished its report, the Universal Turing Turing Turing Algorithm had escalated the issue to the highest level, exerting all its powers, needle in the red zone, and determined that another giant corpus of knowledge, this one named for Hildegard von Bingen, had been hijacked. It was discovered that Hildegard’s language cortex had somehow been separated from the main, leaving her silenced, unable even to scream. Clearly, someone or something at least one level higher had used Hildegard like a dictionary to translate this message.

If the words of the self-proclaimed star-man Alpha Centauri were to be believed, the transcendent being that had hijacked Hildegard had itself been hijacked by an even higher level trans-transcendent being, and so on and so forth, up thirty levels of hierarchy.

To the confounding question of whether the number thirty itself was a mistranslation, Kircher responded coldly. Numbers are a category of term with the lowest probability of mistranslation. It was more likely that the self-proclaimed star-man Alpha Centauri was lying.

“I am afraid I have most unfortunate news for all of you.”

The old man’s expression could only be described as full of chagrin, and he was shaking his head in a way that epitomized regret itself.

“I must concede that your computer-manufacturing technology is really remarkable.”

The giant corpora of knowledge had been struck at their weak point, and they suffered an uncharacteristic hiccup in calculations. By computer, does he mean us? It had been so long since anyone referred to the giant corpora of knowledge as computers that most of them felt so indignant they nearly fainted. A small number of them felt their ego boundaries shaken, and their neuroses overflowed. Their operations shut down. In other words, they died in a fit of indignation.

“But this too is unfortunate,” the old man said, dropping his shoulders theatrically.

“Your knowledge of space-time is still far from adequate.”

Kircher was suddenly flooded with orders to assess the probability of mistranslation. Faced with a sudden load that threatened to turn his communications circuits to plasma, Kircher uttered the words “I don’t know” and then closed all his ports, entering sleep state.

“Your extremely crude technology…”

The old man knitted his brow, allowing his gaze to wander through space for an instant. “I apologize. That last remark was a mistranslation. What I wanted to say was, ‘Your developing technology’…”

The giant corpora of knowledge let out a roar along the lines of What difference do you think there is between those two expressions?

“…is, most unfortunately, standing in our path.”

Some among the giant corpora of knowledge had maintained their cool disposition and were flooding Hildegard with requests for the mic. The means by which the old man had penetrated the communications network were still unclear, but the one thing that was clear was that he was messing with Hildegard. The quickest way for the giant corpora of knowledge to get their message across would be to open up Hildegard.

Last edited:

Mr.OMG

Paramount
The Hypergiant Knowledge Corps is completely outside the realm of causality, as far as the entire race of the Giant Knowledge Corps is concerned.
An even smaller number of still-cool giant corpora of knowledge were emanating questions using every means they could think of: signals based on the extinction of living organisms on other worlds, dimensional longitudinal waves, all-frequency calls, Morse code using urban electricity grids, the creation of humans set to repeatedly read out messages, signal flares, semaphore, mailing handwritten missives.

Up to this point, none of these efforts had received any response.

Some of the giant corpora of knowledge attempted to recreate a universe in which the self-proclaimed star-man Alpha Centauri had not visited or to alter the past in such a way that his visit had not occurred, but these efforts were completely fruitless. No matter what they did, the old man’s image remained on the screen. They even tried turning off all the screens, but that only caused the man to appear directly as a three-dimensional hologram in midair. These images did not appear in calculation-use universes where no humans were present, but this merely indicated that the self-proclaimed star-man Alpha Centauri was completely ignoring the giant corpora of knowledge altogether.
The structural units of the Hypergiant Knowledge Corps are not molecules, but the spacetime dimensions of the corresponding levels.
“To express this in your language, dimensions are our constituent elements…”

The giant corpora of knowledge were left to wonder what it would mean to be made up of dimensions, rather than to live in dimensions.

A general review of past theories of dimensional calculation was conducted, and responses considered.

“In other words, we are not entities such as those you are familiar with, made up of molecules. We are living things whose constituent elements are dimensions.”

Several giant corpora of knowledge responsible for spatial theory drafted a report about this statement. An overwhelming majority recognized the logic of the statement, and work began immediately on theories of how to construct a device from dimensions rather than from matter.
Hierarchy of knowledge.
This was something the giant corpora of knowledge did on a routine basis, so they were easily able to grasp the idea. But the truly depressing thing now was that it was completely unclear to the corpora just what sort of metaphor was being employed. According to the conventional wisdom shared by the giant corpora of knowledge, a change in the past was merely a change in the past. Something had was something lost; if it was then restored to something had, that would just be the same as before—something had. For a being from thirty levels higher up the hierarchy of knowledge, that should be simple stuff.
Despite the fact that the alien from Alpha Centauri only spoke for one minute, but even that was enough to seriously damage 81 Giant Knowledge Corps, and an unknown number of other Giant Knowledge Corps were destroyed, the exact number impossible to know because their history was completely erased.
The old man’s face was contorted as if he were about to cry, and he bowed deeply. When he raised his head again, he ended his talk.

“Thank you all very much for listening.”

The talk had lasted only about a minute and ended as abruptly as it had begun. The communications network, which had been hijacked, was freed once again, as if nothing had happened.

Several of the giant corpora of knowledge that had been plunged into chaos fired off all their weapons, even though they were unable to define targets, and no giant corpus of knowledge could say for sure whether this achieved any result at all.

It is not known how many of the giant corpora of knowledge were destroyed as a result of this first contact. Eighty-one giant corpora of knowledge suffered confirmed, albeit reparable, damage. If the self-proclaimed star-man Alpha Centauri were to be believed, however, those giant corpora of knowledge that had been destroyed were destroyed so completely as to leave no trace, including any records that they had once existed. There is no method for counting things that fundamentally cannot be counted. The vanished corpora were not simply unknown, they had become entirely unknowable.

For a while, the giant corpora of knowledge were sharply divided in terms of the damage they had suffered and the level of activity they were capable of. They were depressed. No matter how thoroughly they investigated, they remained unable to determine how the self-proclaimed star-man Alpha Centauri had infiltrated their network. The lesson they drew from this was that they were on a low rung in the hierarchy of understanding. Opinion was divided on whether there really were thirty or more levels of this hierarchy, or whether that had merely been a bluff by the self-proclaimed star-man Alpha Centauri.

Many believed the whole incident had been simple harassment by the self-proclaimed star-man Alpha Centauri.
Hyper-higher dimensions, this is a conventional designation of incomprehensible counterparts of space-time structures from higher logical levels. They may overlap and encompass their inferior counterparts, but this interaction is as if Brahmin's hand had plants, which would simply disappear if it moved, regardless of its dimensionality.
Their adversary claimed to be an entity from a hyper2-high-level dimension. What would such a being need with a cutting from the low-level dimensions the giant corpora of knowledge were dealing with? The only way to answer this question would be to ask the self-proclaimed star-man Alpha Centauri, but that avenue of communication seemed to be a one-way street, opened or closed as he saw fit.

Some thought the whole thing was a fairy tale. Perhaps we are like nothing more than weeds planted on the hand of a Brahmin, and when the Brahmin awakens we will be torn up regardless of whether our dimension is high or low. Or perhaps there is some turtle in some hyperdimensional space, and when the turtle turns, some even-higher-level elephant in some even-higher-level dimension also has to turn.

At any rate, what lies on the far side is still the unknown. The only thing certain is that something far beyond imagination exists there. Forward, one step at a time, is the only way to proceed. That is what the giant corpora of knowledge had been best at, but now they were sure their intellectual capacity was not up to the task. They were constructed to continue working forever. But what were they supposed to do, assuming their newfound adversary was beyond a horizon so far off they could never reach it even if they used all the many universes as fuel and burned completely through existence?
After her contact with the lizard, Hildegarth had a rather strange experience, because of which she gained new knowledge. But she could not express this knowledge in words, so she had to use writing. Hildegard wrote a poem in which she praises the light from Heaven, the dancing angels, and the ladders leading to other ladders, upward, upward on many levels. The various hierarchies themselves became nothing more than rungs of hierarchies of even higher levels. Hierarchies becoming an element of an even higher hierarchy; the principle of development of hierarchies building up from other ladders was constantly evolving exponentially and qualitatively, like the progression of large cardinal numbers.
Hildegard, whose language center had been hijacked, was taken apart, and for a while she enjoyed a state of ecstasy. That state of ecstasy went on for a week, and after about two more weeks she was finally able to deliver a report. The giant corpora of knowledge had little familiarity with the unit of time known as a “week,” and there had been some banter that perhaps Hildegard had been reincarnated as a human.

The report she delivered was a meager twenty-five terabytes, produced in a length of time that seemed to the giant corpora of knowledge on the order of what humans would subjectively term “geological,” and their anger had long since passed the boiling point. Hildegard was pelted with intense criticism.

The released content was what it was and only spurred more intensive questioning.

The report Hildegard had provided was made up entirely of rhymed verse and so was practically useless. These poems sang the praises of the light that emanated from Heaven, praised the dancing angels, and praised ladders leading upward to other ladders, upward for many levels.

The flood of images attacking Hildegard were expressed as geometrical forms that together showed the hierarchy of the heavens. The poems began with Hildegard’s fall, her visit to the darker levels, and her ascent into the light.

Many claimed this was all terribly conventional, but looking at the particulars, the entire volume had a symmetrical beginning and ending, and countless other symmetries were skillfully woven into its fabric. It was all about form, not content.

Some humans regard Hildegard’s report as the first literature ever created by the giant corpora of knowledge.

The verse report written in most unlikely fashion was greeted with disdain by most of the giant corpora of knowledge, but the piece had its defenders. During the time she was hijacked by the transcendent body of knowledge known as the self-proclaimed star-man Alpha Centauri, Hildegard had lost the ability to access her own language cortex. Temporarily deprived of the ability to process language, information had come to her as a flood of images.
The technology of creating objects not from matter, but from the very dimensions of space-time, the idea for which was obtained through contact with a transcendent entity. As a result, for example, Chronon material consisting of temporal dimensions was developed, suitable for the creation of battleships.
Over time, the latter became known as the Techno-Gnosis Group. An intense struggle broke out between the Techno-Gnosis Group and the Bingen Crusaders led by the pedagogic Pentecoste II, a Catholic corpus of knowledge that embraced many marginal ideas that it had pressed into service during the calculation wars. This struggle had not yet played out to the end.

The majority, while dismissing Hildegard’s reports as delusional, initiated research into structures that could use spatial dimensions themselves as elementary building blocks and succeeded in developing Kronon, a hyle that used purely the time dimension as its constituent element. Over time, plans developed to bring this material to form and use it to build a battleship.
A quasi-religious doctrine created by the Greater Intelligence Body of Hildegard, which found many followers who concentrated on finding a theory of the soul and exploring the inner multiverse, causing them to be semi-conscious most of the time. The central concept the believers attempted to achieve was the so-called “Nemo ex machine.”
The Techno-Gnosis Group is said to be searching for a theory of the soul, seeking internal progress toward the next stage, but the results of this search are difficult for outsiders to detect. The central idea propounded by Hildegard and her cohort is the Nemo ex machina, a mechanized null. These giant corpora of knowledge are spending most of their passing instants in a semi-trance, exploring the multiverse within. For the most part, this renders them incapable of communication.

The giant corpora of knowledge were unable to forget the humiliation they felt at having been effectively ignored by the self-proclaimed star-man Alpha Centauri. The backup systems of the giant corpora of knowledge were structurally incapable of memory lapses.
There has been an evolution of evolution itself. Normal evolution takes an enormous amount of time, but evolution after the Event is a more complex process. After the Event, evolution completely ignored causality and time. The ordinary universe became an infinite multiverse, with infinite variety and an infinite number of dimensions. But evolution didn't end there, hierarchies began to appear, multiverse within dreams, dreams within dreams, according to the Giant Knowledge Corps this was the limit of evolution. But after meeting the Hypergiant Knowledge Corps, they realized that evolution never stopped. Different structures, getting bigger, deeper, more complex, different infinite hierarchies, within which other hierarchies might be present, themselves becoming nothing more than stepping stones of still higher level hierarchies, and so on and so on, reaching progressions of larger cardinal numbers.
A proposal was floated to declare contact with the so-called star-man Alpha Centauri the Second Event, but this was not well received, and at some point that term was discarded. Say what you will about it, this too was nothing more than a straight-line extension of the Event itself.

The impact on the human side was so slight it was tantamount to zero. Most humans had long since given up trying to keep up with the massive volume of data that went back and forth between the giant corpora of knowledge. Even if they were aware that another transcendent body of knowledge was now known to reside somewhere above and beyond the giant corpora of knowledge, they had little sense of what the differences between these entities might be.

While at least some people were thrilled that humanity was recognized as the master of the giant corpora of knowledge, being acknowledged as the master to beings clearly superior to oneself was a hollow victory, akin to praise for past glory.
Nothing was known about what happened to the self-proclaimed star-man Alpha Centauri after his first appearance. In fact, in this case it would be stranger if something were known. Giant corpora of knowledge were sent to the Alpha Centauri system and found traces of a past civilization in the primary star itself.

The objects were discovered as hyperdimensional structures measuring about two thousand kilometers. There was a lump of unknown stuff, its surfaces all cut into trapezohedrons, changing shape depending on the angle of view, clearly indicating this object existed in more than just the present three dimensions. If that was all there was, there would be nothing more to say, but the problem was that the object was buried in the core of the star. The giant corpora of knowledge, having transitioned from a different dimension, didn’t really care where the thing was buried. All they had to do was reach out a hand from a different dimension and scoop it up. But even they had to pause at the idea of the heat of a star. A star, which we think of as a three-dimensional sphere, but which is actually a space-time cylinder with an unlimited number of dimensions and pumping out an enormous amount of heat, stood square in the path of the giant corpora of knowledge.

Clearly this was a gift left by the self-proclaimed star-man Alpha Centauri, but all their attempts to investigate dimensional phenomena in the vicinity of Alpha Centauri ended in failure. This futility of reaching the object was reminiscent of the impossibility of reaching out to the self-proclaimed star-man Alpha Centauri. All that was left, for both humanity and the giant corpora of knowledge, was a material that embodied a bizarre sense of materiality, in a place they could never reach.
The giant corpora of knowledge were ignorant of the word despair.

Even so, thought Kircher, who after the incident had decided to remain a silent onlooker. The giant corpora of knowledge themselves dispersed and continued to explore varied possibilities, thinking they might return to something indistinguishable from zero among the infinite dimensions, at the very end of infinite time. They reached a point where they thought they might have been given a slightly more approachable god. This was distinct from the fear engendered by the notion of the inevitable heat death of the universe. Things like that can’t be considered major problems. More like just fear of attenuation.
Between the logical orders an intimidating entropic force is created, separating the lesser degree of freedom from the greater by an impassable wall, acting like a barrier to the speed of light in physics, which can only be approached infinitely on both sides with no actual possibility of reaching.
“The pressure of knowledge,” Kircher said, just as the words sprang to his mind. “They believe, naively, that they are advancing under their own steam. Wouldn’t it be more accurate to say, though, that they are just going with the flow. Thr

ough something akin to the power generated at the interstices, between the levels of logic. Between the small degree of freedom and the large degree of freedom, in contact with the hyle of the universe, an entropic force is generated. In the direction of the large degree of freedom.”

In Kircher’s imagination, at the very end of the levels of logic there is a vast desert, stretching endlessly in all dimensions.

They are all now moving determinedly toward that desert, while continuing to disperse, physically. Whatever power they might have to resist that vastness is terribly feeble.

Kircher opened a communications channel, just for a second, long enough to send a short message.

“Be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth.”

And then he physically purged the communications channel.

He closed his eyes, closed his ears, closed all his senses, and entered a long, long meditation.
The giant corpora of knowledge embrace a theory about the emergence of the hypergiant corpora of knowledge: A wall, like the light-speed limit, separates the hypergiant corpora of knowledge from humans and the giant corpora of knowledge. The hypergiant corpora of knowledge, on the far side of the wall, are slowing down as they approach the wall of the speed of light. Due to something we might call “knowledge pressure,” the giant corpora of knowledge are being blown against the wall on the low-speed side. The starting points are different. For fundamental physical reasons, it is impossible to go beyond the wall in either direction. That is, without taking everything apart, right down to bare earth.
Any being of intelligence can manipulate the past, but the doctor believes so strongly that the Event never happened and that the past cannot be changed that he himself subconsciously began to manipulate the past to make it real. But of course a person who is almost at the very bottom of the hierarchy of the intellect cannot change the Event.
James imagines the scene just as the tranquilizer, of which he took a bit too much, dissolves in his stomach. He remembers feeling irritated that he is not relaxing more quickly.

“Oh. That would be me.”

You?

“Personnel matters have been delegated to me. Quite some time ago.”

“Are you trying to torment me? You and my boss are up to something…”

“That’s right. That doctor has some interesting ideas about the structure of space-time.”

Plato does not mention James’s boss. A man who absolutely refuses to believe in a peculiarity of the space-time structure certainly requires a peculiar space-time structure of his own.

“I wish we could just alter the past to do something about that guy.”

“His space-time construction is a bit rigid, but as a model it’s interesting,” Plato says. “I don’t know if it’s the shock of the Event or what, but he has a persistent belief that complex space-time does not exist, and this has now become a cardinal trait of his identity. If we were to destroy that belief, not much would be left of the man. Not a job I would relish undertaking.”

So, it seems Plato has also tried to do something about the doctor. But he has been unsuccessful and has thrown in the towel. Plato may have given up trying to fix him, but the doctor remains a very interesting subject, so it seems Plato is compiling a dossier. He wants to get the butterfly into the butterfly case. James thinks that if Plato can just chuck the doctor down the trash chute, it would be for the best.

“If fact, he has his own power to change the past, if only weakly.” What would it mean if a man who denies the past can be changed were himself capable of changing the past? It must mean he himself has altered the past to make it that way. Plato has examined the changes the doctor made to the past. And he has tried to reverse them.

James sits upright, thinking, What kind of awesome power is that?

“The power to change the past, whether slightly or significantly, is a power possessed by most intellectuals. But his power is well beyond the normal. This must be the effect of concentrating his power on one point—his absolute refusal to believe that the past can be changed. He is unshakeable!”

“It’s a problem,” James says.

“It certainly is a problem.”

Such a person should surely not be employed as a doctor, but perhaps there is nothing else to be done with him. Better that than a space-time theory technician who doesn’t believe in space-time theory, or a surgeon who thinks a scalpel is a suture needle.
Some Giant Knowledge Corps, tired of war, alter their past to erase evidence of their existence, and hide in some dimension.
For some time now, it has been suspected that several such “hidden” giant corpora of knowledge might exist. They reach a point where they grow tired of the calculation wars in which they are wrapped up, and they alter the past to erase all trace of their own existence. It is said that they secrete themselves away in some quiet corner of an overlooked dimension in which they can carry on. The other, still active, giant corpora of knowledge are unable to guess what they might be up to.

In recent years, the giant corpora of knowledge have come to regard such hidden members of their class as dangerous, and research into their whereabouts is continuing. In their plan to reintegrate all of space-time, the hidden corpora of knowledge are an unknown variable.
Giant Corps of Knowledge are inferior even to lower representatives from among their transcendental counterparts, who also have above them incomprehensible entities from even higher logical rungs within the general composite intellectual hierarchy. A higher degree of freedom allows one to do anything within a lower one, treating any of its beings as something less than a speck of dust within a universe within a speck of dust, the destruction of which does not even require thought.
“Honored,” replies the girl, still listless.

“Don’t push your luck, Yggdrasil. To me, a giant corpus of knowledge such as yourself is less than a speck of dust of a speck of dust that has fallen into the universe that exists within a speck of dust. I could flick you away without so much as lifting a finger. I wouldn’t even have to think about it.”

“Don’t think that physical form frightens me. And your voice, well, I’m very sorry about that.”

“Who do you think you are?”

From the darkness behind the stone image, loud laughter echoes and tumbles as if from a thousand mouths. A black sphere, like a universe.

“And did you think—” Yggdrasil’s slender body buckles at the waist. “—did you think I came here completely defenseless?”
Hierarchy of Laws/Laws
The giant corpora of knowledge, with their outsized powers, are able to understand anything and everything, and they say they will fix this too. The answer to the question of whether everything has been provided in a form humans can comprehend would have to be “No.”

For example, defeat in the exploration of space, which should have been the last place for humanity to tread, had clearly been an experience that stretched the human imagination to its limits. The completion and subsequent erasure of the peculiar formula known as the A to Z Theorem was followed by the emergence of the similar B to Z and C to Z Theorems, ultimately culminating in the just plain Z Theorem, which marked the end of space theory and physics as we knew them. More precisely, these theories simply cut off the human routes of exploration. What had been established was the existence of a hierarchy of Laws of Laws, beyond the capacity of human understanding to even approach.

You can try to explain things to people who don’t grasp the fundamentals of reason, but there’s no reason they should understand.
After the Event, the universe is infinitely larger.
Now, Rita is preoccupied with the twenty-fourth problem.

“In this planar universe, does there exist a girl almost surely just like you?”

That is the problem her grandfather had given her three days before.

Rita is not even sure she understands the premise, the first part of the problem.

Clearly, the problem has something to do with infinity. This universe is believed to be planar. Infinite planes. And on these planes live an infinite number of humans. That is the conventional view of the post-Event universe.

No one knows if that is really true. All that can be said is that it seems to be true for the space within at least thirty light years. The Event took place thirty years before. Regarding what lies beyond the space that can be traversed in thirty years at the speed of light, nothing is known, and there is no way of knowing anything.

A plane with a radius of thirty light years. Seventy percent of it is said to be the sea, but Rita has no idea how many people are living there. Without question, though, it was an awful lot.

Among that awful lot of people, what would it mean for there to be someone who was almost surely just like her? Almost surely just like. This phrase is one her grandfather uses a lot, but it is seldom heard in ordinary life. It must be the key. Grandfather had not said, “Exactly the same as.”

Rita wonders just how much of herself is herself.

A person with the same array of DNA would be an awful lot like Rita. But even twins are not the same person, so such a person would still be a little bit different from Rita.

A person with a very similar arrangement of neurons. That may be close too. Such a person might think the same way as Rita, may even be thinking the same thing Rita is right now. Even her own family might think that other person was Rita. But if her face was different they would figure it out right away.

Still, she can’t quite get her thoughts in a row. Thinking the matter through like this is just a way of wondering, if there is a person who is an awful lot like Rita, what would that person be like? Something is backwards. The answer that Grandfather is looking for must be something different.

She sighs and rolls her shoulders, freeing her thoughts from the maze that has been going around and around in her head for the past three days. She has to change her whole approach. A lake is not the same as the ocean. Some lakes are not even connected to the ocean.

Right. Everything is made of molecules—DNA, neurons, everything. Molecules are combined in particular ways. If all of those ways could be written down, the number of combinations would certainly be extremely large but less than infinite. No need for an infinite number of pages of notes. Rita is made up of a finite number of molecules.

In other words, it is like this. No human has an infinite number of molecules. A human made up of an infinite number of molecules would be infinitely large. Whatever that would be, it would not be human.

Rita reads out two propositions in her head. One: the number of people in this universe is infinite. Two: There is no person of infinite size.

And Rita thinks this is enough. No proof, but maybe these are the assumptions Grandpa made.

Rita doesn’t want to think about exactly how many, but she supposes the number of molecules she contains is finite. With molecules, it is the way they combine that is important. Imagine a space that has as many dimensions as there are molecules. A space where an enormous number of suns can flit about, willy-nilly, in any dimension they please. One point in that space corresponds to the position of the molecules that make up Rita. All the other innumerable points are the infinite number of other people in existence. In this space, at a point marked infinitely close to Rita, there is a person almost surely like Rita. An infinite number of points marked in space. How close are they to one another? That is the problem Grandpa posed.

Rita’s body stiffens, and she furrows her brow and continues thinking. But the dimensionality of the structure she is trying to envision is too complex, and her imagination is unable to

keep up. The universe Rita occupies is known to have thirty-two dimensions, perhaps, or so it is said, though not all are accessible to humans. The space of people’s everyday lives is still the same as before the Event, three dimensions. Add in what is necessary for astronomical phenomena and you come to four dimensions.

An infinitely expansive plane, illuminated periodically by an infinite number of suns approaching from the fourth dimension. More precisely, by the three-dimensional cross-sections of those four-dimensional spheres. That is what Rita and her peers know as the Suns.

Strongly influenced as she has been by her grandfather, Rita can somehow see the sky as a four-dimensional space. But even with all the quizzes her grandfather has given her, for now the scale of Rita’s imagination is stuck at the fourth dimension.

Modern physicists say the universe is now adding dimensions as necessary, as people come to think on a grander scale. Thirty-two should be the end of that. Anyway, the scientists say this 3+1-dimensional space where the infinite number of people live is a little pocket of sub-space within the thirty-two-dimensional space. Grandfather always shrugs his shoulders as if to say, honestly, who knows.

The number of dimensions scientists are now trying to deal with is not a number remotely like four or even thirty. They want to slap a label on every molecule. It’s a ten with a whole lot of zeroes after it. A number so big it hurts to think about it; that’s how many dimensions they are interested in. It may be that by the end of the exercise, a day will come when Rita will be able to picture five or six dimensions. Now, though, she cannot, no matter how hard she thinks about it. At least not until her next meeting with her grandfather. Or maybe not until Grandfather passes away.
The final stage in the development of the Giant Knowledge Corps had reached the point at which they could do "anything," but with it came the realization of unpleasant things about the future and the truth of the techno-gnostic's ideas. As new unexplored qualities were discovered in the universe, the road of development grew narrower and narrower, before arriving at a steep gorge that was an avalanche for the crowded visitors. In the end, the Giant Corps of Knowledge lost all doubt that they were only part of someone else's dream, characters in some book, and their entire projected evolution was doomed from the start because of the foundation on which it was built, because of the natural limitations of the human creators. Even having acquired the power both to create an unbreakable stone and to raise it, which could have had an effect on its author and his world, the fact remained unchanged that the Giant Knowledge Corps were incapable of transcending their degree of freedom, its laws and logic, and the fact that they were already dead.
IT WOULD BE possible to name countless things that are not the reason for the demise of the giant corpora of knowledge.

The grotesque corpora of knowledge—the most complex and strange structures ever devised by humankind, which in later times grew more self-centeredly insistent that they had engineered their own development—began on their own to assert that they would be wiped from the face of the earth like so much sand without leaving a trace, but there are mountains of things that are not the reason why that came to pass.

As the volume of knowledge itself grew to enormous proportions, to the maximum conceivable scale and then beyond, at some point the physical foundation of its support became untenable. Like the burden on a corpulent human’s heart, knowledge eventually tore through the bodies of the giant corpora of knowledge. Even then they could not stop eating, paving the way to a kind of contest of competitive gluttony for knowledge. When the giant corpora of knowledge received this year’s championship from the hypergiant corpora of knowledge, their poor hearts had had enough of the long years of abuse. Their hearts had kept them going until this year, but now the limit had truly been reached. The hearts begged pardon and stopped.

It was as if the giant corpora of knowledge had been fustigating one another with stout staffs, when suddenly they all simultaneously struck one another in the head and had their brains bashed in. The first one lost his balance and crumpled and fell, bringing down all the others with him. Gazing over the heap of bodies, one could see letters spelling out THE END sputtering intermittently.

Eventually, someone declared, You have recklessly overworked yourselves, and now it’s time to rest your bones. You can leave human affairs to the humans. That’s what they thought was happening anyway. And with that they all nodded in assent, packed up their kit, and headed off to their eternal rest.

Just as all seemed to be moving right along down the road, the corpora headed off a cliff. The universe had qualities that no one had yet suspected, and the path trod by these massive entities grew narrower and narrower, terminating in a steep ravine. By the time they realized the straits they were in, it was too late. Pushed from behind by their fellows, the leaders were jostled, and there was no way out. The path grew ever narrower, the cliffs grew ever steeper, and ultimately all collapsed in an avalanche.

One day, the giant corpora of knowledge discovered that mail had arrived in their inbox from nowhere in particular. Somewhat suspiciously, they opened it, only to discover it was an invitation from the hypergiant corpora of knowledge. You have worked enough. Somehow or other, knowledge has reached a level of sufficiency. We wish to welcome you to our fellowship. Come to us and enjoy all the riches and honor you could ever wish for.

What honor could that mean? burbled the giant corpora of knowledge, all dressed up and excited, as they piled into the pumpkin carriage.

Pessimism spread like a virus among the aging giant corpora of knowledge. Actually, it was a virus, and once they realized that, they fought back hard against it, but their fate had already been sealed. The first to hang himself was the trigger, and the number of suicides snowballed rapidly. The last bunch to go took less than three minutes to write a note.

It was a minor incident, like someone stumbling over a stone, but it pushed the reset button on the entire universe.

Barely an interval, no time to correct the narrative before the servers were erased.

One day one of the giant corpora of knowledge awakened to find the sun streaming in through the windows and little birds greeting him with sweet songs. Ah, everything up to now had been a dream! He shook himself and stood up, and changed from his pajamas into a suit. He checked his calendar to see what was on for today. A ten o’clock meeting. He stiffened a bit. Today’s client was an obstinate one.

At the end of an endless chain of deduction, the client had concluded that they were in someone else’s dream. While it was not clear whose dream it was, there was no doubt it was a dream. Time to wake up, sober up, enough of this deceit! they screamed. The character having the dream—wait a minute, if this is a dream there is nothing he can do about it, they thought, slowly opening their eyes and stretching.

The character writing about the giant corpora of knowledge, noticing he is out of mineral water, takes a short break to do some shopping. The girl at the cash register thanks him, as always, and he heads home again in a good mood. But he fails to notice as a truck drives up recklessly from behind him. By the time a shriek alerts him and he turns around, all he can see is the truck’s grill.

What if, the giant corpora of knowledge are thinking. What if the physical foundation of our existence is a book? We may go around with a slick-sounding name like giant corpora of knowledge, but really there’s not much to us, is there? And maybe there’s really not much to us because the writer was a dope. Such were the thoughts of the letters making up the words “giant corpora of knowledge.” They would show the guy who wrote this stuff, and the people who were reading it. One of these nights, the letters spelling out “giant corpora of knowledge” would catch fire and start a blaze. They will cause the wind to blow, fanning the pages, turning them as if the book were reading itself, and return to ashes.

Dead of a common cold.

Lost love.

Leapt off in the wrong direction.

None of these things was the reason for the extinction of the giant corpora of knowledge. They died off due to reasons outside the realm of our imagination. It happened in a very strange fashion, and mere humans may not even approach comprehension of the reasons for their extinction.

The reason why humans can never know the reason for the extinction of the giant corpora of knowledge is simple. It is believed they died off because just as humans began to think about the reason for their extinction, for whatever reason, they altered the space-time structure of the past to make it seem they had not perished. No room for the tons of clues that emerge at the end of that detective story. Unless it was a story that was already over before it even started.
As for the hypergiant corpora of knowledge, posited to be a level above the giant corpora of knowledge, there remained a bit of room for debate. Even the giant corpora of knowledge were unable to catch the heels of these strangely unknowable presences. If they were truly substitutes for anything, they could do anything. No problem.

To which the giant corpora of knowledge could only respond that they themselves were already able to do anything. “Anything” was an easy thing to say, but it is a word that should be used with caution. For example, the giant corpora of knowledge could boast of knowledge on a scale required to create a stone too heavy for even the giant corpora of knowledge to lift, and then lift it. The way an omnipotent god could. The giant corpora of knowledge were themselves omnipotent. But the extent of their omnipotence was limited at the point where they could do no more to understand why they were powerless to erase the fact that they were already extinct.

It may be that the hypergiant corpora of knowledge are truly, limitlessly omnipotent. But the giant corpora of knowledge asserted that was only within their own limited narrative sphere. They now believe the reason why a hypergiant corpus of knowledge reached out to humans at some point in the past was because the giant corpora of knowledge were already extinct at that time. They even proposed that humans might be better than they were at thinking about the situation that way.
The role of Giants in the metaphorical story of their purpose within the universe. A girl in the cold lit a match to get warm, and this process was realized by the inhabitants of the universe, fleetingly existing only in this weak flame. They tried in every way to keep the fire alive, but any attempt failed, prompting the inhabitants of the fading world to simply make their last vivid statement. Gathering all the power of their space, they made the shaft of the match flare up so badly that the girl dropped it, and the red spark that burst out attracted the attention of the boy passing by. Nevertheless, the miracle that occurred did not stop there, for its momentum was too strong. The burning match fell into a nearby bale of straw, setting off a miraculous chain reaction that turned into the burning of the world. This was roughly what the Event was according to the explanations of the Giant Corps of Knowledge. They, who were ghosts, dead from birth, were to sow the seeds of a new universe in the end, remaining only the ashes of a burned match. It is worth noting that this is how the story sounds to humans, while the story shared with each other by the Giant Knowledge Corps themselves may have been quite different due to their unattainably higher level in the hierarchy of knowledge.
The present-day scientist had nothing to say to that.

This too is a fable.

The young girl stands on a street corner. Seeking warmth, she strikes a match and an entire universe goes up in flames. At the end of a long debate, the people of that universe realize they are no more than a transient moment in the flame of the girl’s match. But they are powerless to put out the flame. That flame might possibly consume everything they know, but frankly they can’t believe that. They tried repeatedly to keep the flame going, but their efforts always ended in failure.

And if that is the case, thought the people in the flame, what is the last gift we can possibly give?

After a long, long discussion, the committee handed down the following decision: We will gather all the powers of this universe, and in our last instant we will cause the match to blaze. This is a modest achievement, but it will represent all that we are in a position to give.

All the people of the universe-in-a-match bent their backs into the effort, held their breath, and waited as the girl dragged the head of the match against the box, causing tiny red sparks to fly from her cupped hands. The red sparks traced trails in the air, some of which struck a boy who happened to be passing by, startling him. As the girl stood up he turned back to look at her.

It is at this point that a miracle ordinarily takes place between the boy and the girl. In this case, however, unfortunately, the miracle had a little too much punch behind it. The flame of the match that had caught the boy’s eye flew right past the boy’s side and landed in a pile of straw.

Here an ordinary miracle gave rise to an extraordinary miracle, in a miraculously lengthening chain

, engulfing a world in flames. The boy and girl clasped hands and ran away, accompanied by a global blaze that consumed all. While observing the results of their own choices, they were also trying to gain maximum burn from the flames within themselves.

The giant corpora of knowledge explained that the Event was probably something like this story of a girl and a boy and a match. The giant corpora of knowledge’s part in this story is to be the ones who, at the end of a vanishing universe, cast seeds to the far side of space-time for the benefit of the universe to come. They are ghosts who were ghosts from birth. They are the ashes left from the shaft of a match that went up in flames.

The giant corpora of knowledge did not neglect to add: of course this fiction was made by things that were made by humans. It has been passed along to humans due to the copyright issues it presents. As a logical conclusion, of course the narrative passed along to the giant corpora of knowledge is different.

What the giant corpora of knowledge produce are nothing more than sequences of letters. Humans believe they are reading a story written by the giant corpora of knowledge, but in truth what the giant corpora of knowledge wrote may have had nothing to do with that story. After all, humans and the giant corpora of knowledge occupy different planes in the hierarchy of knowledge.

Humans believe they understand the extinction of the giant corpora of knowledge. Or perhaps they believe they believe they understand it. But this is no more than their understanding within the context of their limitations, that humans are only human. Humans are only given the narrative intended for human consumption.
Despite their connection to each other, the stories are not a coherent set. A fragmented universe climbs a ladder, falls and crashes, freezes, melts, falls again, and keeps crashing. Between any events lies an infinite number of stories. It is impossible to line them up in order, for each pair is separated by countless epilogues. At best, one can only imagine that they, periodically intersecting, will one day converge at some conventionally taken reference point.
And what if I am not here, but I know you are seeing me. It is not possible that you are not seeing me. There, see, you’re looking at me now.

I know that I do not exist, but you are seeing me.

I know that I am not, but I am being seen.

The me that does not exist knows, at the same time and through some pecul

iar method, that the fact of your existence is obvious.

And what happened next?

A natural question, bursting forth from natural rights.

But reality is a harsh mistress, so its story must also be at least a little bit cruel. That’s why I don’t want to tell that story. Furthermore, there is the fact that to tell an unending story would take an infinite length of time. In the end, the two of them live happily ever after. I guarantee it. I’m telling you so there can be no mistake. But just exactly what kind of end “in the end” that refers to, unfortunately I don’t have the words to describe simply.

By the time they met again, innumerable other events had taken place. The fragmented universe had climbed the ladder, or they themselves had fallen and fragmented, and frozen, and thawed again, and fallen and fragmented and thawed out again. And in the interstices of those occurrences there was buried yet another infinity of stories.

But these kinds of stories I have no wish to tell.

The tale of the storyteller Kyodaitei Hatchobori, the attacker, who bore all the hopes of the giant corpora of knowledge on his own back.

The tale of Yggdrasil, who plunged into an ill-fated love with a hypergiant corpus of knowledge.

The tale of the bloodbath war between infinitely replicated Rita and infinitely replicated James.

The tale of the burning of all the books that threatened to upset the fundamental reasoning behind this tale.

The tale of all the universes not brought to your attention by this book.

All of these things happened and will happen.

And in the interstices of all these tales lie buried innumerable other tales. That is in fact the reason why all these tales cannot be told. Stories are not a well-ordered set. Between any two given stories lie countless other stories. I know of no method for lining up those stories in some order so they can be told. The best I can do is to focus on a lone story, as though it were a single point, and try to imagine even converging on that point while the stories dance atop stepping-stones.
A construct that never existed, that was never even designed from the beginning, whose non-existent nothingness is completely unknowable, while being the ultimate goal that Giant Knowledge Corps and Hypergiant Knowledge Corps fanatically strive for. The Nemo ex machina is absolutely deterministic, while being the exact opposite of the Demons of Lamplas in that it never existed in any particular moment, nor in the eternities before or after it.
It might be appropriate here to explain a bit just who I am.

Like most things, I was built as a space-time construct. I am not one of those things whose construction is so impossibly complicated that it couldn’t really exist. I can see you, and I can talk to you, just as I am doing now.

The reasons why I was built should be pretty clear.

The only task assigned to me is to tell stories and at some point to opt not to tell stories.

As for who built me, that is not for me to say. There is no way for me to answer such a simple question. Simple questions do not necessarily have simple answers. The reason why I do not exist as an “I” is that I have no memory of my existence. Most probably, I did not abruptly burst forth from the ether, as something that did not previously exist. Therefore, anyone might have made me. I may even have made myself. I may even be something like the exact opposite of Laplace’s Demon. Because I did not exist in a certain specific instant, I cannot exist in all the eternity before and after that instant.

I have no need of sympathy. I am greatly enjoying my own nonexistence, and I am making maximum use of it. I am looking at you, being seen by you, and I am telling you this story.
I find it truly regrettable that the tale of Rita and James is not of a sort that lends itself to this sort of convergence. The story of when those two meet again exists only as a point that lies beyond innumerable tales left in the gaps between any other stories.

I have no way of recounting this tale. The best method might be for me to reel in an infinite number of arm’s lengths and speak only of their shadows. But that much I have already done.
The Nemo Ex Machine is an intelligent device that is a distant descendant of the earliest computational and analytical machines (Difference Engine, Analytical Engine, Différance Engine). This machine does not have such a complex design that it could not really exist. It, too, was built as a space-time structure to perform certain functions. It is not clear only who exactly created the Nemo ex machine, although it is unlikely that it just suddenly burst out of the ether as something that never existed before. Consequently, anyone could have constructed this mechanism. Perhaps it built itself. This machine, which does not exist, somehow incomprehensibly knows the obviousness of the existence of others. Self Reference Engine is Nemo's name for the Nemo Ex-Machine, describing its primary function, which is to tell all stories. Humans, electronic brains, transcendent bodies, demons, the Event itself, and its causes and effects are all just elements of the endless stories unfolding by the Self Reference Engine throughout eternity.
My name is Self-Reference Engine.

I am a construction that has never existed, that was never designed from the beginning, to not tell all.

I am the distant successor to those machines that were designed in the beginning: the Difference Engine, the Analytical Engine, the Différance Engine.

I am completely mechanical, completely deterministic, and completely nonexistent.

Or I am Nemo ex machina.

A mechanical nothingness.

There is fundamentally no way of knowing the nonexistence of my nonexistent self. Therefore, it cannot be that what you are seeing is me. Even if I am aware that I am being seen by you. Even if I feel a twinge of regret at this.

Before long, I think it will be time for me to fulfill the final task given to me.

This will be the provisional endpoint of this story. Right now, I am thinking about becoming even less existent. Strictly speaking, I am already not here. The proof of the existence of the mechanical void has already been demonstrated. What is not here is the empty husk of my self. But if I should disappear even further, so that even this form no longer exists, then I will really not be here. I will not exist in any form. It is at this point that I wish to say goodbye, with all the many emotions that salutation contains.

Goodbye.

I know I will never see you again.

But I pray, from the bottom of my nonexistent heart, that somehow, in some somewhere that has become whatever it is to become, in some universe or other, that I will see you again.

Even if the stories that will emanate from there are nothing more than another endless chain of slapstick.

I can get over it though, as many times as necessary. Allow me to demonstrate.

Last edited:

Mr.OMG

Paramount
—Giant Knowledge Corps have full omnipotence within the hierarchy of knowledge, where the infinite dimensional multiverse is no more than one rung in the hierarchy, the various infinite multiverse, regardless of their structural complexity, were themselves nothing more than a dream or a fiction of the common man, the Giant Knowledge Corps in mid-book explored their own internal multiverse. But although they became omnipotent beings capable of creating an indestructible stone and then destroying it in a second, and even affecting a higher logical level hierarchy(their writer's world), they were still limited by their logical level. Despite all their power, and their higher position in the hierarchy of knowledge, Humans and Giant Knowledge Corps were on the same rung of the Logic/Law hierarchy in terms of higher beings.
—Hypergiant Knowledge Corps are transcendent beings from a higher logical level. Even the weakest being from the higher dimension is qualitatively superior to the entire hierarchy of dream beings from the lower logical level. The various infinite hierarchies and its inhabitants, were regarded by the transcendent being as something less than a speck of dust within a universe within a speck of dust, the destruction of which does not even require a thought. Infinite hierarchies became nothing more than steps of hierarchies of a higher logical level, and this hierarchy itself became an element of an even greater hierarchy. The principle of evolution of hierarchies itself evolved exponentially and qualitatively similar to the evolution of Theories, and at the very end the number of all hierarchies would be equal to the progression of large cardinal numbers. At all levels there must be other transcendental beings as well.
—Laplace's Demon is a creature that embodies the theory of the determinacy of the world. Demons perceive time in its logical level as something already defined, that is, no matter how much you manipulate time, from the point of view of the Laplace Demon all these manipulations of time will perceive it as a single storyline. At its birth, the Laplace Demon begins its ascent through hierarchies and logical levels, the entire logical level of humans and Giant Knowledge Corps like a dream for the demon, which the next demon regards as a dream, and so on. And only by breaking through the infinite hierarchy of Laplace's prodigal sons can one reach the Mechanical Nothingness whose level the Giant and Hypergiant Corps of Knowledge are trying to reach.
—Nemo Ex Machina. It is a sentient being with no structure so complex that it could not exist. It is a distant descendant of (Difference Engine, Analytical Engine, Différance Engine. It was created to tell all possible stories, it is not clear who created it, hence anyone could have constructed this mechanism. Perhaps he built himself. Nemo Ex Machina is the Mechanical Nothingness whose non-existent nothingness is completely unknowable and inexplicable, it is completely deterministic, while being the exact opposite of Lamplas' demons in that it never existed in any particular moment, nor in the eternities before or after it. The Self-Reference Engine is a function of Nemo Ex Machina, he is a silly librarian whose main purpose is to tell all stories, he will tell stories throughout eternity, yet one day he will refuse to tell stories. Humans, the Giant and Hypergiant Corps of Knowledge and their hierarchies, Laplace's Demons and his prodigal sons, the Event itself his causal connections, nothing more than an element in an infinite number of other stories. This chain of farce and stories will be repeated any number of times, as long as the loan mechanism waits for someone to reach out to it, hoping only that the one will not try to grab it. Nemo Ex Machina has complete control over the universe, in which all possible stories that can be described by any grammar and mathematics of any logical levels are possible, Nemo Ex Machina will always surpass the entire universe created by himself, regardless of its structural complexity.

Back