Planned Server migration - 07/07/2023 @ 12 PM EDT

Planned server/site activities.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Hey y'all,

This upcoming Friday around 12 PM EDT I'll be attempting to migrate to a new server once again. The only difference this time is that we are moving to an ARM64 architecture which will require at least an hour or two tops to get set up properly. I may do the preparation work ahead of time to see how smooth the transition would be, but that would solely depend on my irl workload for the week. The main motivation behind this second migration is due to the affordability of ARM64 over AMD and Intel and the price to performance boost will future proof OLF a bit more.

If y'all have any questions or complaints, send your complaints to my DM's which I'll gladly either ignore or reply with an emoticon/emoji you hate to the most.

Love,
- The OLF Staff

T-Pein™

The Nexus
Pronouns
They/Them
Hey y'all,

This upcoming Friday around 12 PM EDT I'll be attempting to migrate to a new server once again. The only difference this time is that we are moving to an ARM64 architecture which will require at least an hour or two tops to get set up properly. I may do the preparation work ahead of time to see how smooth the transition would be, but that would solely depend on my irl workload for the week. The main motivation behind this second migration is due to the affordability of ARM64 over AMD and Intel and the price to performance boost will future proof OLF a bit more.

If y'all have any questions or complaints, send your complaints to my DM's which I'll gladly either ignore or reply with an emoticon/emoji you hate to the most.

Love,
- The OLF Staff

Did you get a chance to test if anything breaks or is there no compatibility issues?

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Did you get a chance to test if anything breaks or is there no compatibility issues?
I have the ability to switch server's on the fly by changing the IP of the DNS entry that ties the new server to onelastforum.com

In a nutshell, I've tested the migration thoroughly today, unlike other peeps/admins who just simply yolo :maybe

In hindsight, its a pretty easy process, but the only thing that typically happens after server migrations is that you'll see a bit of a DNS issue for a bit until the record resolves in a few minutes after the switcheroo. What that basically means is that you'll likely see weird errors for a few mins until your browser(a) and CloudFlare (DNS) finally finish shaking hands.

shade0180

Just a shadow
V.I.P. Member
If you feel that's the best for the site just do it.

It's great we got informed though.

:kannasip

Reactions: Ral

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
the citizens of one last fanzverse.com finally can post freely, once again, thanks to that once in a lifetime collab between ral and mbxx

:jordangif

Back