Tyranids suck

more like warhammered

that reminds me of when my spanish class in my sophomore year in college did a trip to spain, and me and all my classmates got like black out drunk the first night and woke up at a UN Trial. This old guy was at a podium yelling something in portuguese, but it might have been spanish. I didn't do very well in that class.

Are locust swarms of the plague variety on your radar
Actually that's part of the problem why I don't particularly like the Tyranids and the trope of space locusts that much. Locust swarms in real life are unsustainable, they are a flux, a byproduct of a biological glitch. True swarms or superorganisms as a whole are self sustained and in full control of their surroundings and themselves. A termite colony can exist for decades in the same spot as well as many ant nests, a locust swarm sweeps through an area stripping it down of any useful materials like mindless drones and leave nothing behind. In essence a locust swarm's worst enemy is itself.

Now take the Tyranids, same mode of operation. They strip down planets and move on, they never settle, they never truly infest or occupy. If slowed down they starve, if stopped for a long period they weaken. The only saving grace they have is the fact that the universe is a large and densely inhabited place in 40k, they can allow themselves to be wasteful and live a fully nomadic way of life.

Now compare the Zerg and Arachnids, both infest a planet to the core often making it a nest permanently. Both Zerg and Arachnids can live on a planet indefinitely even if it's barren because they can recycle nutrients so efficiently that they don't even need a viable biosphere to sustain them. A planet occupied by those two is a planet lost FOREVER.

You're starting to see my point I hope?

The flood from halo is a pretty good swarm too
I like the Flood a lot but the moment I first played System Shock 2 I actually found The Many a lot more intriguing, to me at least.

There are indications Bungie might have taken quite a lot of inspiration from The Many when designing the Flood seeing how Halo came out years after SS2.

The Many and The Flood are both a parasitic swarm with grandiose intentions of galactic conquest. Both need bodies to infect and convert into biomatter for larger more potent forms and both are rules by gigantic brain-like organisms.

Even their life cycle is somewhat similar.

wU2xxcV.jpg

We start with a parasitic grub that burrows inside a host and takes over.

UyoEiTI.jpg

Turning them into zombie-like creatures.

pw4PK15.jpg

ZMJQykk.jpg

Which can further progress into a larger form if enough biomass is available.

iljugIH.png

Then that form can produce a further more psionic oriented one which is far deadlier and vastly more intelligent.

G7Yk2fH.jpg

ycLmfj2.png

char_monkey.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

There's also various "offshoots".

1294409-ss2themany.jpg

All controlled by a giant "brain" that is the collection of all thoughts.

I mean it's basically The Flood before The Flood. While The Flood are fungal The Many are just a cancerous ever growing flesh that believes itself a saviour of all biological life.

DghergD.jpg

jJd6Qzo.jpg

Long live the new flesh!

Back