Went out to buy some junk food for tonight before the rain but ended up

Seeing the original first issue of Hellboy neatly sealed and sitting next to all the "beauty" and gossip magazines at a small local bus stop shop for just 3 euro.

There might be hope after all.

• Wow
Reactions: Ral
Well son of a biscuit eater
1. Translating from english to bulgarian is tricky and loses some meaning, it's the reason I wanted to get Empire of The Ants (originally in french) in english now after I owned it in bulgarian for decades because french to english is far more acceptable and loses less. The bulgarian version however is top notch because it was a passion project for a french language school here and without them the book might have never reached my country.
2. I've seen far too many epic stuff try and get a root here only to be cancelled after a while due to low interest, amusingly popular manga never had this problem and I can probably still find Death Note in my local bookstore. In fact we have entire groups dediacted to translating every freaking anime into bulgarian and it's ridiculous :skully
3. I'm a wise boy and I ain't taking my entire wallet when shopping literal meters from my home.

colours

yung plague
Art Section
1. Translating from english to bulgarian is tricky and loses some meaning, it's the reason I wanted to get Empire of The Ants (originally in french) in english now after I owned it in bulgarian for decades because french to english is far more acceptable and loses less. The bulgarian version however is top notch because it was a passion project for a french language school here and without them the book might have never reached my country.
2. I've seen far too many epic stuff try and get a root here only to be cancelled after a while due to low interest, amusingly popular manga never had this problem and I can probably still find Death Note in my local bookstore. In fact we have entire groups dediacted to translating every freaking anime into bulgarian and it's ridiculous :skully
3. I'm a wise boy and I ain't taking my entire wallet when shopping literal meters from my home.
Well son of a biscuit eating bulldog

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
i am sorry this happened to you planidium

i read volume 1 of hellboy a while ago and it was very good.

i am sorry this happened to you planidium

i read volume 1 of hellboy a while ago and it was very good.
I read it up to the point he went to hell so that means I finished the original series? :hm

I liked it a lot actually, a bit too gothic for my taste but it's richer than most other comic stories.

I almost finished The Nikopol Trilogy now and that is absolutely more of my kind of comic! I saw the movie adaptation years ago and fell in love only to find out the comic is way way waaaay cooler which is amazing!

Also Judge Dredd is a tough one due to the absolutely mental amount of issues but totally worth the heroism :catsalute

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
thought it was funny as hell that rasputin was the antagonist. i saw him and thought, "that looks like rasputin", and then they said his name and i cracked up.

i've only seen the dredd movie with karl urban, i liked it.

thought it was funny as hell that rasputin was the antagonist. i saw him and thought, "that looks like rasputin", and then they said his name and i cracked up.

i've only seen the dredd movie with karl urban, i liked it.
Slavic mythology, occultism and straight up insane magic nonsense is way too underused in pop media... Our werewolves are insane:

The word vrykolakas is derived from the Slavic word vǎrkolak. The term is attested in other Slavic languages such as Slovak vlkolak, Serbian vukodlak, ultimately derived from Proto-Slavic vьlkolakъ and cognates can be found in other languages such as Lithuanian vilkolakis and Romanian vârcolac. The term is a compound word derived from Slovak vlk, Bulgarian вълк (vâlk)/Serbian вук (vuk), meaning "wolf" and dlaka, meaning "(strand of) hair" (i.e. having the hair, or fur, of a wolf), and originally meant "werewolf" (it still has that meaning in the modern Slavic languages, and a similar one in Romanian). It is also noteworthy that in the eighteenth-century story Vrykolokas by Pitton de Tournefort, he refers to the revenant as a "werewolf" (loups-garous) which may have also been translated as bug-bears, a strange word that has nothing to do with bugs nor bears, but is related to the word bogey, which means spook, spirit, hobgoblin, etc.[1] However, the same word (in the form vukodlak) has come to be used in the sense of "vampire" in the folklore of Croatia and Montenegro while the term "vampir" is more common in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, and Bulgaria. Apparently, the two concepts have become somewhat mixed.[2] Even in Bulgaria, original folklore generally describes the vârkolak as a sub-species of the vampire without any wolflike features.[3]

:skully

It's the better version but that cheesy 90s Stallone version is a gem.

You just can't make this shit up...

In South Slavic folklore, a vampire was believed to pass through several distinct stages in its development. The first 40 days were considered decisive for the making of a vampire; it started out as an invisible shadow and then gradually gained strength from the lifeblood of the living, forming a (typically invisible) jelly-like, boneless mass, and eventually building up a human-like body nearly identical to the one the person had had in life. This development allowed the creature to ultimately leave its grave and begin a new life as a human. The vampire, who was usually male, was also sexually active and could have children, either with his widow or a new wife. These could become vampires themselves, but could also have a special ability to see and kill vampires, allowing them to become vampire hunters.[57]

The same talent was believed to be found in persons born on Saturday.[53] In the Dalmatian region of Croatia, there is a female vampire called a Mora or Morana, who drinks the blood of men, and also the kuzlac/kozlak who are the recent-dead "who have not lived piously."[58] They can be men or women who show themselves at crossroads, bridges, caves, and graveyards and frighten the locals by terrorizing their homes and drinking their blood. To be killed, a wooden stake must be thrust through them. In Croatia, Slovenia, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia, a type of vampire called pijavica, which literally translates to "leech", is used to describe a vampire who has led an evil and sinful life as a human and in turn, becomes a powerfully strong, cold-blooded killer. Incest, especially between mother and son, is one of the ways in which a pijavica can be created, and then it usually comes back to victimize its former family, who can only protect their homes by placing mashed garlic and wine at their windows and thresholds to keep it from entering. It can only be killed by fire while awake and by using the Rite of Exorcism if found in its grave during the day.[59] In Bulgaria from the Middle Ages through to the beginning of the 20th century, it was a common practice to pin corpses through the heart with an iron stake to prevent their return as a vampire.[60]

To ward off the threat of vampires and disease, twin brothers would yoke twin oxen to a plow and make a furrow with it around their village. An egg would be broken and a nail driven into the floor beneath the bier of the house of a recently deceased person. Two or three elderly women would attend the cemetery the evening after the funeral and stick five hawthorn pegs or old knives into the grave: one at the position of the deceased's chest, and the other four at the positions of his arms and legs. Other texts maintain that running backwards uphill with a lit candle and a turtle would ward off a stalking vampire. Alternately, they may surround the grave with a red woolen thread, ignite the thread, and wait until it was burnt up.[61] If a noise was heard at night and suspected to be made by a vampire sneaking around someone's house, one would shout "Come tomorrow, and I will give you some salt," or "Go, pal, get some fish, and come back."[62]

I remember grandpa scaring me with torbalan as a kid so often :skully

Several countries contrast their version of the sack man with the benign sack carrier Father Christmas. In the Netherlands and Flanders, Zwarte Piet (Dutch for "Black Pete") is a servant of Sinterklaas, who delivers bags of presents on December 5 and takes naughty kids back to Spain in the now empty bags. In some stories, the Zwarte Piets themselves were kidnapped as kids, and the kidnapped kids make up the next generation of Zwarte Piets. In Switzerland, the corresponding figure is known as Schmutzli (derived from Butzli) in German, or Père Fouettard in French.[4] A similar figure, Krampus, appears in the folklore of Alpine countries, sometimes depicted with a sack or washtub to carry children away.[5] In Bulgaria, children are sometimes told that a dark scary monster-like person called Torbalan (Bulgarian: "Торбалан", which comes from "торба", meaning a sack, so his name means "Man with a sack") will come and kidnap them with his large sack if they misbehave. He can be seen as the antipode of the Christmas figure Santa (Bulgarian: Дядо Коледа; corresponding to Father Christmas).

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
having flashbacks to my high school biology teacher interrupting class to tell us about krampus

Back