What are you currently reading now?

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Bro, this section has been here for two days and not even one thread yet lmao.

So who's reading IRL books or PDF's right now? Discuss your current read!

I'll go first:

Really good book on Philosophy; they have other books covering other subjects like Sociology and whatnot and include a ton of pictures so my big brain can activate full bankai.

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
I'm reading the recently released final book in Joe Abercrombie's Age of Madness trilogy: The Wisdom of Crowds.

I also listen to audiobooks and I just finished Terminus by Peter Clines and I'm already just about done with A Study in Scarlet (I've never tried Holmes in writing before).

Reactions: Ral

Von Gos

Shut Up, Island
I finished Wisdom of Crowds recently. Whereabouts are you up to?

Von Gos

Shut Up, Island
He lacks Glokta's crotchety humor, but he did show his vicious side in burning all of those Burners.
Yeah, Orso said it best, I think: Leo is a man with absolutely no sense of humour.

As far as viciousness goes—he definitely does become very ruthless in this book. However, cold-blooded opportunism is no substitute for actual intellect and he still lacks Glokta's incredible patience. At your point in the book, Leo has still operated in much the same way as he always did before (aggressive, egotistical power-grabbing justified with Ferro-level mental gymnastics), only with words and politics instead of swords and warfare.

It does make me wonder how Glokta would've handled all this, though. And what kind of internal commentary he might've had for the Breakers' posturing and the Burners' violent insanity.

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
That's certainly true, but there's only so much someone can change in a few months no matter how traumatic those months are. Glokta had years. Then again it's a pretty huge theme of Abercrombie's that while people can change for the better, they're just as likely to end up as nearly the same person as before. It's a hard truth that most people don't like to consider and it's a tough pill to swallow for characters like Jezal.

Von Gos

Shut Up, Island
Agreed.

Drop a post here when you've finished the book. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

B Rabbit

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Reading Frankenstein. Before I started that. Was studying the myth of Prometheus.

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
Agreed.

Drop a post here when you've finished the book. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it.
I'm a good deal farther now, but I'm not done yet. I'll be done after tomorrow. I'm up to Orso and co being on a boat about to run into an interception.

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Just finished Dresden Files: Turn Coat and am about to read Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files as soon as I get a physical copy of the book.

Dragon D. Luffy

Illustrious
I don't read a lot these days but I just finished the Thorn Trilogy (aka Broken Empire Trilogy).

Imma copypaste the review I posted in another forum: