• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

What is more important: Acceleration or Velocity?

What is more important: Acceleration or Velocity?

• Acceleration

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final Velocity

• Final Velocity, if acceleration has a hard limit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
I brought this up before, and I just want to see all of your opinions.

In a fight what is more important:

A character's rate of acceleration or their final velocity? How quickly they reach their velocity, or how high their velocity is overall? And if a character has a greater acceleration than another one? Is it fair to say they're faster if their acceleration is continuous?

Last edited:

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
Not smart enough to answer this in a coherent manner.
Cause you see technically even if a character doesn't have a final velocity that's higher than another character? If their acceleration is like fifty or a hundred times faster? Under the same distance their final velocity will also be that much faster.

However, this relies on the assumption that acceleration is continuous rather than having a hard limit. Since if it does have a hard limit they will only be faster at first, and be able to punch or kick faster most definitely no matter what. Unless the other character is like Luffy, and can stretch their limbs.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
I think how quickly they can accelerate matters more in a VS standpoint

a good example is Enrico Pucci, who can accelerate to infinite speeds, but takes enough time to do it that regular stand users can still keep up with him for a while

thus a character who could accelerate faster, or had quicker reaction time and attack speed, could beat him before he resets the universe

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
Basically, even with the assumption of a hard limit? Better acceleration means you're always gonna be able to move your limbs faster because there's a limit to how long your arms and legs are.

Unless you're Plastic Man.

It's the combat speed versus travel speed argument except not fucking retarded. Since the idiots that make those arguments never take acceleration into account.

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
Another presumption is that long distance is always gonna have a greater velocity than short burst. Due to having more time to accelerate. It wouldn't make sense for anyone to become slower. Unless they exhaust themselves and stop moving or begin to slow down.

Maddie

Acclaimed
Depends on both's final velocity if the acceleration isn't continuous. A ship could accelerate instantly but it's final speed isn't too impressive.

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I feel like acceleration matters a bit more, especially depending on the distance the characters are apart

Back