Which Has The Better Artstyle?

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Mashima. Draws girls better and without the ridiculous hour glass shape Oda does

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Mashima. Draws girls better and without the ridiculous hour glass shape Oda does
Only agree that Mashima draws women better but that's also because he's a literal coombrained artist and self-admitted to it just like Hellsing's author/artist. Everything else Oda does better, particularly background art, scale, etc...though I have a huge issue with Oda's women/female designs being very much a template of three or four very basic designs:

- skinny/normal with hourglass body shape
- fat and boxy with a more rectangular figure
- the "muscular" women who are just skewed between those two main ones like Boa's tribeswomen

That and Oda can't really into muscles for shit unlike say Toriyama. Still would say he's overall a better artist then Mashima.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Only agree that Mashima draws women better but that's also because he's a literal coombrained artist and self-admitted to it just like Hellsing's author/artist. Everything else Oda does better, particularly background art, scale, etc...though I have a huge issue with Oda's women/female designs being very much a template of three or four very basic designs:

- skinny/normal with hourglass body shape
- fat and boxy with a more rectangular figure
- the "muscular" women who are just skewed between those two main ones like Boa's tribeswomen

That and Oda can't really into muscles for shit unlike say Toriyama. Still would say he's overall a better artist then Mashima.
Disagree, especially on the better background. Fairy Tail’s setting was a bit generic sure but his ongoing series Edens Zero has some great backgrounds.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
For like late Rave and early Fairly Tail anyway.

Mashima’s art stopped looking like Oda’s for a while now and even when it did, that’s mainly because of the general art style of Shounen at the time

shade0180

Just a shadow
V.I.P. Member
For like late Rave and early Fairly Tail anyway.

Mashima’s art stopped looking like Oda’s for a while now and even when it did, that’s mainly because of the general art style of Shounen at the time
This one. Rave looking like OP is practically because Shounen style of drawing is around that kind during that Era.

:eksip it also isn't limited to them if you look at Detective conan which came out about 4 years earlier they're almost the same in style.

Diversity in art probably happened around 2009~2010 where they totally went off with different styles.

So you can't fault Mashima and Oda looking the same.

Back