Why Typhlosion Is Actually Better Than Charizard

Some Schlub

Preeminent
As a guy that played trumpet in middle school for like 1 semester and was pretty good at it that one time, I take that personally.

IMG_8393.png

i remember making this tierlist just judging their designs for evolved starters

I like Meganium and Feraligatr, but they're both pretty mid tier as far as fully evolved Starter Pokemon go, and Typhlosion's a lot better than them.
One thing I really don’t like about newer pokemon is how Skinny and Anthropomorphic they are made now.

they don’t look like monsters or animals. They look like someone tried to draw another fictional character in an anthropomorphic manner

like how people drew Bill Cypher from gravity falls as a skinny white guy in his 40’s in a suit

Yoshi

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
One thing I really don’t like about newer pokemon is how Skinny and Anthropomorphic they are made now.

they don’t look like monsters or animals. They look like someone tried to draw another fictional character in an anthropomorphic manner

like how people drew Bill Cypher from gravity falls as a skinny white guy in his 40’s in a suit

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
I like Meganium and Feraligatr, but they're both pretty mid tier as far as fully evolved Starter Pokemon go, and Typhlosion's a lot better than them.

Typhlosion hasn't been better than Feraligatr since gen 4 and it only got worse in gen 5.

Feraligatr can have sheer force, meaning it gets 30% dmg and can use life orb with no recoil so that's another 30%. It also has Dragon Dance.

Typhlosion hasn't gotten any new tools while Feraligatr gained stab on its higher attack stat, an epic boosting move, and one of the best abilities available.

I sound like I hate this Pokemon but it really is one of my favorites. It just has been getting shit on and neglected by GF after Gen 2.

Last edited:

Maddie

Acclaimed
Blastoise
Typhlosion but they're all lame
Sceptile
Tortera but none are my taste
Samurott
Greninja
Decidueye
What's a gen VIII

Yoshi

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
Typhlosion hasn't been better than Feraligatr since gen 4 and it only got worse in gen 5.

Feraligatr can have sheer force, meaning it gets 30% dmg and can use life orb with no recoil so that's another 30%. It also has Dragon Dance.

Typhlosion hasn't gotten any new tools while Feraligatr gained stab on its higher attack stat, an epic boosting move, and one of the best abilities available.

I sound like I hate this Pokemon but it really is one of my favorites. It just has been getting shit on and neglected by GF after Gen 2.
I meant as far as my favorite Starter Pokemon go, silly.

Maddie

Acclaimed
Speaking of shafted starter, poor Sceptile being given priority in special attack despite literally his design emphasizing sharpness and power

Should have at least given him steel type to emphasize blades or something if dragon was too OP

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
Speaking of shafted starter, poor Sceptile being given priority in special attack despite literally his design emphasizing sharpness and power

Should have at least given him steel type to emphasize blades or something if dragon was too OP

I feel like he got the better end of the stick than some. Special sweepers are always great, especially when they have stab on their main stat prior to gen 4.

Maddie

Acclaimed
I feel like he got the better end of the stick than some. Special sweepers are always great, especially when they have stab on their main stat prior to gen 4.
The problem is his ace in the hole ability and basically the meta for him has always been leaf blade. In fact almost all of his most viable abilities (Leaf Blade, Brick Break, Earthquake, Iron Tail, Dragon Claw) are physical. I get he has Dragon Pulse, Energy Ball, etc, but that's usually not what is easily or commonly available for Sceptile. Those didn't even exist in Gen III. He should have had his special swithced to physical.

And again, he needs dual typing. The other two had it. If he had Dragon he'd be broken to all hell so Steel is a safe choice too, still weak to Blaziken and still thematic as his leaves were as sharp as steel blades

Last edited:

Yoshi

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
Sceptile's physical attack isn't bad at all. It's just mediocre post Generation 3, because Generation 4 and 5 is where things become too overpowered (for me personally), and Generation 6 and beyond is when things become broken (for me personally).

Generation 2 and Generation 3 are both good middle grounds for me in Game Mechanics, especially Generation 3. But in fairness, Generation 1 is too primitive in Game Mechanics for me personally, as well.

Maddie

Acclaimed
Oh yeah, onto Gen VI/VII/VIII/IX(?). Gen V was the first I played on a real console and I hold a lot of nostalgia for it but it was a secondary game at the time. I loved Pokemon when I was 12-13 but as much as when I was 14-16 (I got deep into Pokemon in the Summer of 2016 when I was more or less burnt out of Dragon Quest), so the impact is different for what I write next.

VI is the last generation I love. The new designs are awesome. Kalos is a beautiful region with singlehandedly the best route track in the series for me, surpassing even Route 123 of RSE. I am talking about Route 15. I am totally not biased by being a Hex Maniac fanboy. Soundtrack in general had a ton of great themes: the gym theme, master theme, several other routes. Speaking of routes I remember a lot of routes for just being beautiful with great music. Also had the most memorable ending in the series for me. The premise was intriguing, and could have worked to be one of the darkest and most emotional Pokemon games. XYZ Legendaries had wicked designs. Megas were great, cool Mega Mewtwo. Greninja was awesome and IMO my favorite types Dark, Psychic, and Ghost got so much love in this generation. That's about all I can say about XY, otherwise the games were extremely unfinished with sooooo many loose threads and a broken difficulty. EXP share being applied to everyone isn't the issue. There are many RPG series where your whole team gets XP, it's the damage values and how squishy the enemy is. Sweeping is the norm in XY. ORAS on the other hand are near masterpieces, so much content and the only true thing it lacks is a Battle Frontier, that really hurts it. Otherwise I loved Emerald so ORAS is a nostalgic breath of fresh air. I'm gonna get Alpha Sapphire just to replay it in fact. Words just cannot describe how nostalgic Gen VI was for me. In hindsight I believe it was the beginning of the rot for Pokemon, the beginning when GF would truly start being lazy, but in hindsight it will also probably be the last generation I get so much satisfaction from. I played OR and Y during one of the happiest years of my life (2016) during one of the funnest summers I have ever had, and my memories for them are basically golden. Oh yeah it has best girl Hex Maniac and more Gardevoir love. For the few pokemon it added, it added Aegislash who is just so awesome.

VII I don't hate, it is the last generation with some objective quality or merit for me, but I just don't like it. The humor was great and the difficulty was a lot better, but I just don't like Alola. I found Kalos beautiful; I loved the colder rustic feel to it and I really am not a fan of tropical aloha beaches and stuff (I know I like Hoenn). I don't like that kind of fashion. Very much a conservative person in attire. I didn't also particularly like or get the plots. I found SM's plot better because Lusamine was a little more understandable, but I just didn't care for the ultra beats or any of it. It just doesn't interest me. Some cool designs, I like Decidueye, Lunala, Alolan Marowak, Mimikyu, and Dhelmise. Beyond that just an eh generation, doesn't help that I associate it with 2017 which was a horrendous year for me where I broke off one of my closest friendships who loved Gen VII. I kind of regret transferring all my pokes over to it, knowing what is next to come....

Gen VIII I will not play, I might get Legends Arceus but SwSh look terrible for Switch Standards (FFS it looks marginally better than DQM2 3D which is a spinoff from a smaller series 5 years older on inferior hardware) and Dexit is just no. BSDP's advertising really resonated with me and I am getting Platinum and I will not further discuss how much I hate them because good god I am angry at how they are, and I even gave the artstyle the benefit of the doubt before seeing just how bad it really got over the course of the footage I saw. Arceus looks... acceptable... It does some new changes I can respect and just for its modicum of ambition I might make it my base of operations for this new post handheld era... But that might not be saying much. Only design I know of that I like is Corviknight but Spectrier(?) looks cool I can't tell Bulbapedia is shitting the bed.

Gen IX looks tired to me. I don't know. I just want more. XY was unfinished but it felt so fresh and ambitious. It was no Monsters 2 3D which came out at the same time and is mindblowing, but it was clear there was creative passion there. They wanted to make something worth loving they just couldn't finish it on time. Gen VII had sparks of creative writing and wit that I loved. It was easily the funniest generation which I guess is good after the more complex gen V and heavier gen VI. Well written. I just don't see any passion for IX beyond astroturfed shilling for "LECHONK POKEMON" like that excitement will be there when they announce some new thing they are fucking up.

I don't know, I am literally listening to the Route 15 theme writing this and I just wish I could go back to 2016 and be happy again. Generation VII wasn't bad and I could accept it not being my type but VIII just soured me on the franchise so much. I just wish one game series I loved was in the right hands for once. Dragon Quest's competent handling by Armor Project doesn't matter when SE shits the bed with localization. Halo has become pure dull and tired faggotry. >Imagine TF2 ever being saved. So really it's kind of sad to see all my childhood interests just ending up like this (Doom seems to be the closest, but that is a newer interest without the impact). It makes me depressed. Fuck entropy. Going to play Monster Girl Quest; at least Part 3 of Paradox looks exciting and not just tired and trite.

Last edited:
Back