Anime Convo #1 thread

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
idk what's wrong with it, you kinda sound like hating towards the pokemon anime in general

The production values are probably peak OLM/pokemon at it's strongest, the outro is sung by the cast, this time the voice actors are AMAZING.
The protags are so flexible but also so deep...they are 10 year old kids and seem lost or weak at times, but damn every episode the characters in some way or form progress, or you learn more about them. Dawg last episode...I would reflect on it and maybe give it one more try. When will there be another chance where you might see such a classic and nostalgic, but new adventure unfold? For me it's hard to find nowadays...a 12 episode seasonal is almost never satisfying the aspect of adventure as I would need it.
That's funny to hear me as a Pokemon anime hater. Dude it was my first anime and I still love the better parts of the original to this day.

The problem here is that they didn't replace it with something worthwhile. There's always cast songs and they've been ass lately since most of them lately haven't been sung by Rica Matsumoto who is an actual singer. Why should I care if Roy and Liko rap some low tier song?

They aren't flexible at all. Liko has just this side of zero motivation for anything and has to be on some kind of crazy air ship receiving constant encouragement to even consider doing anything. Roy is just some retarded kid who happened to find a GS ball equivalent and gets rewarded for retardation such as his gym battle (probably the best ep despite that). Freide is an arrogant jobber. Dot is a boring weirdo. The others on the ship barely have a personality to note.

Yeah I said Captain Pikachu is cool. That's it. Freide in his own story isn't and the fact that the air ship was just slapped together is more weird than funny.

There's no nostalgia to be had here because they've largely thrown away most of Pokemon's own appeal and while the visuals are pretty okay, the animation like any other show depends on the episode. OLM has openly stated that they've been in a pretty rough state since the Masters 9 tournament. It's probably coming more under control now, but it's a sign that they lost some staff even if they're clearly branching out beyond kids anime once more.

Anyways just for comparison's sake put this series up against the original anime. Yeah it totally slaps it from a production point of view, but it gets slapped in turn in terms of content. In this same equivalent episode we got the kaiju-sized Tentacruel episode. I'd rather go back and watch that one twice.

• Huh?
Reactions: Rej

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
True indeedy.

Fair enough, they do have decent CGI sometimes I can't stand CGI but that's my own personal preference from it. That sounds familiar I'll have to check it out.

My watch list is long as fuck need to watch more on it.
If you keep watching then it adds up. Once this season ends I should be hitting 2400 completed.

Rej

Preeminent
That's funny to hear me as a Pokemon anime hater. Dude it was my first anime and I still love the better parts of the original to this day.

The problem here is that they didn't replace it with something worthwhile. There's always cast songs and they've been ass lately since most of them lately haven't been sung by Rica Matsumoto who is an actual singer. Why should I care if Roy and Liko rap some low tier song?

They aren't flexible at all. Liko has just this side of zero motivation for anything and has to be on some kind of crazy air ship receiving constant encouragement to even consider doing anything. Roy is just some retarded kid who happened to find a GS ball equivalent and gets rewarded for retardation such as his gym battle (probably the best ep despite that). Freide is an arrogant jobber. Dot is a boring weirdo. The others on the ship barely have a personality to note.

Yeah I said Captain Pikachu is cool. That's it. Freide in his own story isn't and the fact that the air ship was just slapped together is more weird than funny.

There's no nostalgia to be had here because they've largely thrown away most of Pokemon's own appeal and while the visuals are pretty okay, the animation like any other show depends on the episode. OLM has openly stated that they've been in a pretty rough state since the Masters 9 tournament. It's probably coming more under control now, but it's a sign that they lost some staff even if they're clearly branching out beyond kids anime once more.

Anyways just for comparison's sake put this series up against the original anime. Yeah it totally slaps it from a production point of view, but it gets slapped in turn in terms of content. In this same equivalent episode we got the kaiju-sized Tentacruel episode. I'd rather go back and watch that one twice.
Guess this is just tastes clashing. I did not follow Ash's journey till the end because I looped out of it gen 3 or so. And the girls always changed. I just started this Pokemon Horizon series because I wanted to push the reset button for myself. Giving a modern and new aproach to Pokemon a try. For me it works and I love everything.

About OLM, you can clearly see that their newer products are suffering from quality or refinement. I think Dark Gathering is an amazing story, but somehow the whole mix is a bit missed in this one. I guess that's where OLM shows yo it hurts.

Considering, their Pokemon projects might have their own regulars and own funds, Pokemon Horizons seems to be futureproof.

Sassy

Preeminent
V.I.P. Member
If you keep watching then it adds up. Once this season ends I should be hitting 2400 completed.
I need to hop on myanimelist I pretty much forgot what was on my to watch list. Lol gotta update alot of shit on their too.

There's another one I'm watching this season with a friend of mine, about the typical Iseaki genre. Can't remember the name but it's been alright. I've noticed not alot of good ones out there this season.

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
Guess this is just tastes clashing. I did not follow Ash's journey till the end because I looped out of it gen 3 or so. And the girls always changed. I just started this Pokemon Horizon series because I wanted to push the reset button for myself. Giving a modern and new aproach to Pokemon a try. For me it works and I love everything.

About OLM, you can clearly see that their newer products are suffering from quality or refinement. I think Dark Gathering is an amazing story, but somehow the whole mix is a bit missed in this one. I guess that's where OLM shows yo it hurts.

Considering, their Pokemon projects might have their own regulars and own funds, Pokemon Horizons seems to be futureproof.
Then you're missing out. I also stopped with the anime when the original dub stopped but Pokemon has always continued and the likes of DP and XY are great watches with SM being good with some caveats as well. I started watching XY along when it aired back in 2013 I think it was and then retroactively got into the older content. Even the 2019 series managed to at least finish the big final battle on a very high note.

I don't come into an anime looking for flaws. I simply experience it and see what my impressions are. As it currently stands 2023 is lacking weight or a compelling direction beyond vague legendary mysteries and the cast lacks charisma. They might as well not replace Ash if they don't have anything comparable or better to replace him with. They've had many years to consider where to take the franchise afterwards.

• Kermit
Reactions: Rej

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
I need to hop on myanimelist I pretty much forgot what was on my to watch list. Lol gotta update alot of shit on their too.

There's another one I'm watching this season with a friend of mine, about the typical Iseaki genre. Can't remember the name but it's been alright. I've noticed not alot of good ones out there this season.
I never kept a MAL for a long time, but close to the end of 2021 I kind of decided on a whim to just try and enter everything I could, more for the sake of potential recommendations more than anything. Ironically I get the shows I watch the same way as always, which is by doing research.

Sassy

Preeminent
V.I.P. Member
I never kept a MAL for a long time, but close to the end of 2021 I kind of decided on a whim to just try and enter everything I could, more for the sake of potential recommendations more than anything. Ironically I get the shows I watch the same way as always, which is by doing research.
I need to start doing that more often myself. Use to heavily be on their forums and heavily enter add or delete entries I was on top of that shit back in the day. But not so much now cause of getting older and less time for stuff.

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Uhhhhhhhhhh *counts* like 46-ish shows depending on how you count stuff it might be more. The show I'm catching up on now is Detective Conan which is currently airing as well.
I just started season 2 of it before I move to Bastard season 2

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
I just started season 2 of it before I move to Bastard season 2
I watched Bastard!'s latest season around when it came out. I'll probably take a break on Conan to watch Baki and then we'll see. I'm almost out of remastered episodes, which is unfortunate, but at least they existed for me at this point in time. It's a pretty recent thing.

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
F4I6ck2b0AEK9Qd.png

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
Overall with the new anime I'm not really a fan of the thick outline style, which more closely resembles Watsuki's current art. You can also see how it alters some bits about Aoshi, like making him less of an adult bishounen, which kind of goes against my impression of him. After all the original episode Kenshin he's fought in is literally called "Aoshi, the Man who is so Beautiful that it's Frightening" or something. That title stuck with me for some reason.

I'm also not a fan of the official manga colors for Han'nya which is what they went with here. I guess his stripes are meant to be garish though.

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
in the ost aspect, the og series still better

this one, the fights have more impact, but idk, for some reason, i still like the og one a bit better, the whole presentation and 90s art, made it more serious, i am really curious of how they gonna animate for example later fights like kenshin vs saito or sano vs anji

overall, so far, the new anime, is good but something still feels lackster, idk, only time will tell, the potential is there either way

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
in the ost aspect, the og series still better

this one, the fights have more impact, but idk, for some reason, i still like the og one a bit better, the whole presentation and 90s art, made it more serious, i am really curious of how they gonna animate for example later fights like kenshin vs saito or sano vs anji

overall, so far, the new anime, is good but something still feels lackster, idk, only time will tell, the potential is there either way
The first series had better art and direction on top of the OST, which is part of what you're talking about and I think some its original changes work better in these early arcs. Like in the original story it kind of relies on Kaoru being so lonely and down and out to create their connection while in old anime it felt like the two really hit it off. The new anime has made a few odd changes too like removing Kenshin's Doryuusen.

The new art feels changed to how Kenshin is drawn now (and there's a lot more saturation compared to the old anime's water color-y cel animation), while I actually liked how Watsuki used to draw with thinner lines.

I think the new anime has better animation where it matter as well as better effects (which make stuff like the fire in the recent ep look good) which are points in its favor.

Back