Best and Worst Power-ups in Fiction

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
Best Power Up
Fanta Mode Piccolo
It actually felt like a Transformation and honestly one of the better transformations coming from super
It's nice to see Piccolo back into relevance after being shafted for so long
301470713_573375571196409_538833170871265256_n.remini-enhanced_E_75x100cm_pagina.jpg
Worst power Up
dffk9t9-17a47db4-8cb7-401a-8ad1-1459b2b4e80c.png

Shit was ass and just frankly an ass pull to have trunks do something in the FT arc instead of just being dead weight

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Kingdom Hearts 1-2 was back during peak Square Enix so of course they brought their A game at awesome desgins

ultimate-form-kh3-or-final-form-kh2-v0-3lphet9cnkl91.png

damjq5p-2d1889d2-edbe-4996-ae91-b87b8860a8d6.jpg

so-besides-being-probably-the-most-amazing-epic-bossfight-v0-wpswq47fu9hb1.png

4429378-571927__vasto-lorde-ichigo_p.jpg

Yeah, it was a one time form for Ichigo we never see again(Though Kubo did confirm if Ichigo wasn't such a bitch, this was actually his genuine final Mask transformation as we also see it from White's perspective) but it's sole entrance was extremely kino(moreso due to the extremely stupid Ulquirroa wank we get now).

6734259-9638057b4a9bce442627b391bae08276.jpg

Yeah, I'm a simple guy but honestly, I just dig True Shikai Ichigo's duds combined with his two swords which is why I'm just not a fan that Kubo basically all but stated we are NOT getting the 2 swords back because Ichigo is more comfortable with his original Shikai look.

maxresdefault.jpg

Star King Jaster. Extremely simple look, making something that seems mundane be awesome as fuck, never loses it's spot and you basically wreck face... kinda noticing a pattern with me.
does-anyone-else-prefer-ichigos-true-shikai-talking-about-v0-gzi9f081cwfb1.jpg

And now we get to the blemishes...
Yes, I do know that Horn of Salvation is an incomplete version of him using his Hollow powers now but it's weird as fuck it's only one horn and one marking and only covers half of his face. It's even more sad considering that this exactly proves that Ichigo's H2 form is his actual maximum use of his Hollow Powers... and we never see him use that to it's fullest here.
So you end up with a bad design that could be so much better if Kubo Tite just fully committed rather than have Ichigo still not at the cusp of his power.
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

GASP "Xhominid I thought you loved Gohan getting a new form and everything!" Honestly? I like Gohan finally being truly relevant for once... I actually am not a fan of Beast itself. Everyone has stated it's biggest problem is that the hair is RIDICULOUS, especially in the Super Hero Movie which has them shrink it down a ton but it's still ludicrous for what it is even then.
My real issue with it... is that it reminds me too much of MUI, not the ultimate form of Gohan's absolute potential reached that fits him. This is basically my issue with DBS as a whole: Everyone's transformation is too Colgate and not truly unique to them and before anyone says it: No, Super Saiyan 4 isn't better because everyone else just looks like the same when they attain it. I want SPECIFIC final forms for the characters, something atleast Piccolo got.
king_of_chaos_arthur_pendragon_by_victormacias23_demnyzm-fullview.jpg

How many times can I say I hate this new version of Arthur Pendragon from NNT? Like the series has problems, so many problems it can touch the stratosphere... but I have never despised a concept so anti-thetical to everything that fits the lore of the Arthurian Mythos... as King Arthur becoming the King of Chaos. The worst part is that somehow, Arthur is STILL a better character than anyone else in the franchise because Nakaba didn't find a way to sully him like he did with everyone else, so this is just me hating the fact he's a villain, hating how his look is basically no different outside of an eye color change in one eye and the fact that being "A King of Chaos" absolutely doesn't fucking work period.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
Don't know how I managed to forget my favorite character of all time
Kars_wings.png

I love the biological fuckery going on all throughout Part 2 that reaches its zenith here. I love how Kars loses because he gets sloppy once he's achieved his goal, as the complete opposite of him in Switzerland where Joseph thought he could never pull tricks on him because he was too focused. I love the piranhas, I love the crab shell, the octopus attack. The ripple to finish off Joseph. I love that he lost because he won.

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
Don't know how I managed to forget my favorite character of all time
Kars_wings.png

I love the biological fuckery going on all throughout Part 2 that reaches its zenith here. I love how Kars loses because he gets sloppy once he's achieved his goal, as the complete opposite of him in Switzerland where Joseph thought he could never pull tricks on him because he was too focused. I love the piranhas, I love the crab shell, the octopus attack. The ripple to finish off Joseph. I love that he lost because he won.
that doesn't look like Aiwass to me

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Since I'm playing a lot of it right now, I'll do Final Fantasy.
So naturally we start with our latest transformation. :maybe

Ifrit Risen - The base Ifrit design in this game is already a good power-up in and of itself, even though it's not my favorite Ifrit design (that's still FFX's version). Ifrit Risen on the other hand, is on some anime shit as the brothers flames come together to burn as one, the Phoenix wings add a nice touch to Ifrit's deisng making it look cool as fuck.

Jet Bahamut (15:35) - As much as I love Caius, Chaos Bahamut is just a lazy re-skin of the base 13 Bahamut design. Jet Bahamut is a massive upgrade in every way and is one of my favorite dragon designs for Bahamut. Also him having one pair of arms crossed as the final battle starts is some Chad energy shit. :awesome

Final Aeon (Jecht) - Gigantic with a massive sword and a kickass theme for a great character. Sure you're fighting AGAINST it but still.

Trance - Just in general, not for a specific character though Zidane and Kuja's are probably the standouts. It's a good evolution of the Limit Break system (if only it was up to the player when they used it) where you get big buffs, new attacks or new abilities depending on the character using it.

Worst

Cid Raines -
Great character, great boss fight but BY GOD what the shit is that transformation? It's absolutely hideous, it's a damn good thing this is the only time we ever see it. It's also just never explained what the fuck it even is, other than Cid drawing on all his remaining power.

Best: Super Saiyan. There's a reason why most anime power-ups even now nearly 35 years later still use this form as a sort of blueprint. Everything about it was just so perfect and perfectly timed. The environment, the build-up, the OST, it was genuinely one of the best that Shounen itself has to offer.

I chuckle often when people wonder what made DBZ so immensely successful. The answer is literally in plain sight, there is no "trick" here, it genuinely created action sequences that were really just that good.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Pretty sure that is the Full power of his Hollow Form. The halfway state is only meant to show that he’s in full control

It looks silly, no denying that but Ichigo had nothing else to go into after his Bankai got snapped further proves he wasn’t holding anything back

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Another worst power up (I'm starting to struggle on this front because I like to think of the best much more, but)...

Rey Palpatine (I cannot even say it with a straight face) and whatever the fuck happened at the end of TROS.

Pretty sure that is the Full power of his Hollow Form. The halfway state is only meant to show that he’s in full control

It looks silly, no denying that but Ichigo had nothing else to go into after his Bankai got snapped further proves he wasn’t holding anything back

Uh no Astaro? You need to re-read that fight because Ichigo explicitly states he has not mastered the form at all when he faced off against Soul King Yhwach. Hell, he needed to have Yhwach do some damage to him before he could bring out his Hollow side in the first place, clearly showing that Ichigo has not mastered this new way of bringing out his Hollow powers or his Hollow form.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Uh no Astaro? You need to re-read that fight because Ichigo explicitly states he has not mastered the form at all when he faced off against Soul King Yhwach. Hell, he needed to have Yhwach do some damage to him before he could bring out his Hollow side in the first place, clearly showing that Ichigo has not mastered this new way of bringing out his Hollow powers or his Hollow form.
All that’s said is he can’t bring it out on his own and piggy backed off Yhwach to do it for him

EHw7Oqo.png

Where was it stated this form is not the complete or full power Hollow?

Back