• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Circus of Humorous & Humiliating Arguments Part 4 Part 2: Electric Boogaloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xcano

couldn't help but note the hypocrisy of someone who constantly used said argument against series he doesn't like
There's no hypocrisy here, it's not a thread about Vs Debating.

All that thread is for is for posting pictures of cool weapons, and all that post is is him saying "This weapon is so powerful is can kill a god". Do you think he means every god, or do think he's just gushing about some media he likes? Do you even know what series it is?

Like, okay. Vader feels more powerful in the Rogue One scene than does, I don't know, Captain Ginyu. I don't think Vader beating up a hallway full of random dudes is a better feat than what Captain Ginyu does, we're just talking about completely different things. The Fox Quicksilver scene "feels faster" than when Sonic runs to the ocean and back in his movie, that doesn't mean it is faster. I mean, it's not a coincidence that Kratos is often seen as extremely powerful outside of battleboarding contexts because he "kills gods". "God" has a certain amount of cultural weight to it, and also typically implies a lot of relative power (I.E., that they're very strong for a particular setting). See also: "Doomguy kills Hell".

If I was posting about "badass characters in fiction", I might say "bro, Doomguy kills Hell, Batman fights gods". I would not use these arguments in a Vs Debating thread, because we're discussing a different standard there. There's no hypocrisy between these two points.

That said, let's just suppose Mook means it's powerful in a feat way anyways. In fact, let's assume (based on nothing) that he's even specifically comparing it to TES while posting it (this is more for your sake than mine).

Are there any contextual differences between the two settings? Do the gods in whatever Mook is talking about have feats he would consider better? Does the weapon itself just have feats that suggest it could kill a god anyways? Does the weapon have contextual evidence for "scaling up" (I.E. I would be more inclined to buy Trunks' sword being sharp than I would be if he had killed Frieza with a rusted pipe). Is "god" a more objective measure of raw power and durability in one setting than another? Do they simply state at some point outright "You have to be X-strong to kill a god"?

There's literally no way to know any of these things without asking. To be clear, it's almost certainly not any of those things. If you asked Mook if he thought the Amulet of Kings was "cool and powerful" he might say yes and then go on to disagree that it's "powerful relative to X shonen hero". These aren't hypocritical positions at all, he's basically just saying "This piece of art is cool, I emotionally resonated with it".

I just find it annoying that you don't think to ask these questions, either because you can't or are extremely self-assured and incurious. Like, bear in mind, you literally have an account on the website. You could just call him out instead of taking potshots from a mile away. I have to assume you don't do this either because it just doesn't cross your mind or because you're very insecure about confrontation outside of your "home territory".

All that thread is for is for posting pictures of cool weapons, and all that post is is him saying "This weapon is so powerful is can kill a god". Do you think he means every god, or do think he's just gushing about some media he likes? Do you even know what series it is?

Like, okay. Vader feels more powerful in the Rogue One scene than does, I don't know, Captain Ginyu. I don't think Vader beating up a hallway full of random dudes is a better feat than what Captain Ginyu does, we're just talking about completely different things. The Fox Quicksilver scene "feels faster" than when Sonic runs to the ocean and back in his movie, that doesn't mean it is faster. I mean, it's not a coincidence that Kratos is often seen as extremely powerful outside of battleboarding contexts because he "kills gods". "God" has a certain amount of cultural weight to it, and also typically implies a lot of relative power (I.E., that they're very strong for a particular setting). See also: "Doomguy kills Hell".

If I was posting about "badass characters in fiction", I might say "bro, Doomguy kills Hell, Batman fights gods". I would not use these arguments in a Vs Debating thread, because we're discussing a different standard there. There's no hypocrisy between these two points.

That said, let's just suppose Mook means it's powerful in a feat way anyways. In fact, let's assume (based on nothing) that he's even specifically comparing it to TES while posting it (this is more for your sake than mine).

Are there any contextual differences between the two settings? Do the gods in whatever Mook is talking about have feats he would consider better? Does the weapon itself just have feats that suggest it could kill a god anyways? Does the weapon have contextual evidence for "scaling up" (I.E. I would be more inclined to buy Trunks' sword being sharp than I would be if he had killed Frieza with a rusted pipe). Is "god" a more objective measure of raw power and durability in one setting than another? Do they simply state at some point outright "You have to be X-strong to kill a god"?

There's literally no way to know any of these things without asking. To be clear, it's almost certainly not any of those things. If you asked Mook if he thought the Amulet of Kings was "cool and powerful" he might say yes and then go on to disagree that it's "powerful relative to X shonen hero". These aren't hypocritical positions at all, he's basically just saying "This piece of art is cool, I emotionally resonated with it".

I just find it annoying that you don't think to ask these questions, either because you can't or are extremely self-assured and incurious. Like, bear in mind, you literally have an account on the website. You could just call him out instead of taking potshots from a mile away. I have to assume you don't do this either because it just doesn't cross your mind or because you're very insecure about confrontation outside of your "home territory".

Bro, you can't have said all of that and actually think you made a good point there...

...Yes? Because the problem with Indivisible is that we have no idea how strong the Gods are in the game, so it already has bad expectations to go "It can kill Gods" when those gods in Indivisible can easily be chump change in comparison to Gods in other media. There is intent and tone and that's the problem.

I feel like that's a reductionist's take on the point here...
Characters can feel more powerful, faster, smarter than other characters, big fucking whoop but at the end of the day, that's not the argument being done here or the fact it's correct. You know how many times I see people say that MHA characters or god fucking forbid, JJK characters are stronger than Fate characters because they "feel more powerful", yet their shit so extraordinarily basic bitch? Again, there are Gods in The Elder Scrolls too that basically make the whole cosmology it's bitch and they still get their ass waxed, are they less powerful than Indivisible's Kala because they lost to "Bows and Arrows" vs. getting shot by some "super gun that looks more impressive"? That's the real question there.

There is considering how strong Doom Slayer genuinely is using his materials and Director Commentary vs. Batman who tends to need backup, trickery and otherwise to "defeat" Darkseid in a straight fight.

Isn't that what you should be taking into account as a VS. debater anyway?! You should be taking into account both sides, their materials, the director commentary, anything as long as it's ultimately not an outlier and contradictory to anything and everything else ever shown. For instance, we already know how Trunks is able to cut King Cold and Frieza with his Sword but King Cold fails to cut him with his Sword and he can't cut Goku's fingers off so that shouldn't be in question even if they had chopsticks or soggy noodles. What should be in question is how strong is Kala in relation to The Elder Scrolls Gods and other Divine Beings.

Considering how Mook is, he most likely would say something like that unironically...

I mean, look at what thread you are on? And you don't think him or any of the other SB'ers see this thread here? We know the mods do and we know they do from their Discord. If they actually want to go back up their claims, they can do so here in person, they don't need no one to basically fight in their honor. Despite what it looks like, no one is going to "jump them" because we got better things to do with our time. So in truth, I don't think anyone is shouting at anyone from "A mile away" when they are basically reading this thread in the first place.

Xcano

Isn't that what you should be taking into account as a VS. debater anyway?!
Yes, as a Vs Debater. The thread wasn't a Vs Debate thread. Hence, Mook isn't making a Vs argument. This was the point of my post. Mook is just like, posting a thing he thinks is cool. It's 2 sentences and a picture, he's not making any arguments or claims there lol.

When you try and turn this back around into an argument about JJK and MHA and Fate (things that nobody has even mentioned?) you aren't helping your point that this doesn't come across as extremely kneejerky reactions to what is ultimately a normal guy discussing media the way a normal person does.

Yes, as a Vs Debater. The thread wasn't a Vs Debate thread. Hence, Mook isn't making a Vs argument. This was the point of my post. Mook is just like, posting a thing he thinks is cool. It's 2 sentences and a picture, he's not making any arguments or claims there lol. When you try and turn this back around into an argument about JJK and MHA and Fate (things that nobody has even mentioned?) you aren't helping your point that this doesn't come across as extremely kneejerky reactions to what is ultimately a normal guy discussing media the way a normal person does.

I used it as an example...
Like goddamn, if I didn't mention it and used another series like Star Wars as a counterpoint, would you have used it against me in believing there's some stupid shit there rather than just an example?
Maybe you should go back to Spacebattles right now because it feels like you yourself are getting overly defensive for no reason.
To get onto your point, it doesn't matter if it's a VS. discussion especially when you try and cherrypick certain points:

...Yes? Because the problem with Indivisible is that we have no idea how strong the Gods are in the game, so it already has bad expectations to go "It can kill Gods" when those gods in Indivisible can easily be chump change in comparison to Gods in other media. There is intent and tone and that's the problem.

My point there was explicitly setting up those standards in the first place since gods alone are a HIGHLY charged deal in most fictional series and vary just as wildly as an antagonist being only barely different than any human to basically being above even Multiverses. And looking at Indivisible, while you can say Kala is a genuine Universal God, that seems to only be the case if she's complete and even the weapon used didn't kill her at all and she came back later(And somehow reincarnated into a Human at the end of the game).

I'd argue that across all media FSF novel feats is the mid end, so there's no difference between drawing on FSF alone and mid end feats.

High end would be FGO manga feats and Dioscuri speed scaling.

Man, Imaginary doesn't even realize most of the crazy shit in FSF are high end feats like Theia's Meteor Rail Gun, Alcides straight devouring Gugulanna, The Prelatis basically showing how ridiculous Merlin's Illusions are as a whole and Gilgamesh basically nulling Richard's Excaliblast Storm and overpowering him completely(Which is hilarious as his Excalibur's get stronger the more powerful the weapon he has and he disintegrated Enkidu's Age of Babylon Barrage with a Tree Branch and against Gil, he had a genuine Noble Phantasm).

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Given he has said the exact opposite with the exact same reasons against other series, and he's still going to retain this mindset elsewhere, yes it is hypocrisy.
It's a thread for superweapons, not just cool weapons, and the reason he lists it as powerful is because it's strong enough to kill a god. These same reasons he has dismissed Kagranacs Tools or the Amulet of Kings.

There are literally hundreds of other threads for posting weapons regardless of what their power levels are, but in a thread for superweapons his main argument was for the opposite reasons of what he's argued for in the past.
Again, this is all irrelevant because Mook has claimed that the title of god is meaningless for the likes of Vivec, Alduin and the Princes.
On top of literally everything else I've said before, I've had people bring up vs nonsense with me in said threads, even when I didn't mention anything first. I've seen people on SB take petty snipes at others in threads dedicated to movies because they're terminally obsessed with vs. People don't change their mindsets for different threads.

Again it doesn't matter, because his reasons are the same as for other reasons he's dismissed.

Yes I have played Indivisible, but the powers of gods (of which we only meet one) in that game aren't relevant to the discussion. He could have be using any other series with a god-killing weapon and this argument still would have held.
Yes, if only there were examples of me talking to him on SB itself. Could I, perhaps, bring up dozens of examples of me posting direct evidence and him ignoring it, or then using the exact same arguments for a series he likes? I've called him and others like him directly out on his dishonesty and double standards on SB itself many times in the past.

You want an example? Here's a post from the person you have gone out of your way to defend, in which he makes a deliberate, mean-spirited post that flames me and makes some very nasty ad hominem attacks against me (as well as blatant strawmanning).
Really, the fact that you're getting all your analysis of TES lore from SSTTGL explains so fucking much. Word of advice: actually use your brain to think instead of regurgitating his nonsense. If you spend more than 5 seconds thinking about his claims you can see gigantic gaping holes in his "analysis". Like how these supposedly "massively faster than light" (fuck that phrase) spears being clearly depicted to move around the same speed or even slower than normal arrows.
The fact that you think being ignorant of a series is a problem is the problem. A lack of knowledge can easily be rectified. A lack of critical thinking, not so much. Casual fans have a better grasp of the Elder Scrolls series than people like STTGL ever will, because the former will look at what the world is actually like and what is happening in it to draw their conclusions while the latter will willfully blind himself to everything that happens in the games to push his vision of TES being Dragonball Saint Seyia Superman Z Exalted 9000, regardless of how utterly that is contradicted in every actually official depiction of the setting.

Your problem isn't that you have only played a bit of Oblivion and Skyrim (and ESO?). Your problem is that you saw someone arguing that people in TES are several times faster than light and instead of comparing that to the setting portrayed in Oblivion/Skyrim where armies are made up of dudes in steel armor swinging steel swords at normal human speed and you the Hero of Kvatch/Skyrim run around at mostly normal human speed and swing around metal weapons at mostly normal human speed and decided that Mr MFTL wasn't full of shit.

In short you drank the kool aid. Never drink the kool aid.
After this @Xadlin (thanks BTW, you are a bro), makes a post in my defence, in which he says...
Yes, and every setting that has people swinging swords are not a powerful setting at all.
Also, you taking a piss at someone that isn't even here, is pretty low. Go and have your PM with him, instead of cowardly back mouthing him here.
@STTGL MAKES GOOD ANALYSIS and is one of the better debaters I know.
we need people like these to calc a verse, gameplay feats and Lore feats combined, and rely on their calcs. Dismissing a verse cause "they are carrying steel swords" is just naive and just blatantly rude,when you don't even look into what the verse has to offer. That's cowardice.
TES have mages that can planetary time stop, battlemages that can go continent level with their destructive spells and then the thum that reached across the entire world.

yes, I can understand it's hard to believe in something you cannot see, but yet still is there.

heck, I'm not well versed in either series, but name calling someone is just the lowest of the low.
There'll be a test on this soon, so keep this all in mind.

So what do I do about Mooks snipes? I directly call him out on it. Please take note of the link I post in the middle of my argument to a post that Mook made where he very deliberately uses Maidens causing storms as a feat.
Now this is just scummy and pathetic. Tell me, why don't you say this to my face? Like I'll call you a coward and liar to your face, because I know you are one and so do you.

"Willfully blind" ironic coming from someone who deliberately ignores when events directly from the games in conjunction with word of god and the plots of the games themselves as well as third person omniscient are all somehow wrong compared with cherrypicking "dudes with swords." We also see dragons invariably create horizon spanning storms (and don't you pretend storm feats aren't impressive or just magic when you've said yourself they are when it suits you), Greybeards shaking the world and Dovahkiin surviving it (which I guess you'll pretend you've never seen the hard evidence of it being physical, which I've repeatedly posted), gods creating Clockwork universes and stopping meteors from destroying countries, shattered timelines, exploding islands, collapsing universes and much more also very clearly happen. The games even make a point of how the dragons are far, far worse than "dudes in armour."

It's not even vague or in the background; it's the entire plots of just about every single installment. Just about every single story involves some kind of great threat to the world and word of god outright confirms it.

BTW, please make a TES respect thread with your "dudes with swords" "logic" and see if you can get one of the writers to not only notice it but directly give it their blessing.
If you don't believe me, here's Mook making the exact argument that controlling the weather is a feat of power (or are you going to tell me that 'because this is a different series, he would have a different mind set' which BTW, is exactly the point).
The point is that there is a wealth of things Dust can do (burning, freezing, zapping, levitating, terrain shaping, weather controlling, etc) and Magic can explicitly do all that stuff but MUCH BETTER.
Screen-Shot-2024-02-05-at-11-10-01-am.png

So let's see how he and his friends react to this; by deliberately cropping out my argument when I very set up a logical trap for him and lie their asses off, proving my point that said feat isn't impressive when TES does it, but impressive when series he likes does it.
So what?

Dragons can make it rain.

Why is this impressive again?

Woop-de-do, truly some rain and lightning is going to make so much of a difference when fighting Servants.
There's another example of deliberately cropping out my argument too, but more to the point, how does Mook react to a post that deliberately cropped out evidence that called him out for purpuseful bad-faith disingenuous behaviour and outright flaming?
Screen-Shot-2024-02-05-at-11-14-38-am.png

He likes said comment, even though it highlights him for the entire world to see as a bad-faith liar and bullying scum. Now I will take this moment to remind you of what Xad said;
Also, you taking a piss at someone that isn't even here, is pretty low. Go and have your PM with him, instead of cowardly back mouthing him here.
@STTGL MAKES GOOD ANALYSIS and is one of the better debaters I know.
Xad made a suggestion to have a civil discussion about why Mook may disagree with what I (and others like me have said), but out course he (nor does any of his echochamber) ever do. Never has he apologies for the shit he said, nor for flaming or stonewalling or deliberate attacks on character, nor the fact that he behaves this way because he's upset about the power levels of a fictional fantasy world from a video game, and judging by every single other interaction he's had in every single TES related thread he's posted in, he's not changed his behaviour one bit, and isn't interested in it. He's outed himself as being dishonest and toxic and he doesn't care.

I, at the very least, have attempted to engage in honest debate and discussion with him and his ilk, but the same could never be said of him.

Oh by the way, Mook has also gone onto other websites and talked shit about me (and my friends) so everything here applies to him far more than it does to me (complete with deliberately taking evidence out of context and ignoring major plotlines). I'm almost certain that is me he is quoting too.

On the subject, shall we talk now about how you used gameplay mechanics to downplay TES?

Or how about this post, where you link a calc of mine, but down below very conspicuously fail to link another calc I'd made, but reference it all the same while linking something else (because the calc certainly wasn't even a single ton of TNT, yet alone Hiroshima levels)?

You've seen them. I know you have. Pretty much every instance where someone "disperses clouds" gets calculated as them moving the entire mass of clouds away at hypersonic speeds. At a minimum, this usually gets untold mega or gigaton level results. Sometimes you can even get life wiping results from this!
It is far, far more likely that someone is simply making clouds above them. You know, causing condensation. Assuming that someone is yanking clouds from across the world at hypersonic speeds is just... huh? Of course, they'll never come to this conclusion. They'd rather assume someone is telekinetically throwing around clouds and then explain the lack of destruction and all the antifeats as "ki control AoE Fallacy" and "PIS" so that they can get Hiroshima level results for Pearl waving her hand while singing.

Masterblack06

Man of Atom

limiting Mash this much so he doesnt beat the breaks of Garou

Honestly, it's pretty funny too since that's well known SB behavior that motherfuckers don't apologize for shit and will gladly heckle, belittle and engage in massive Ad Hominem against you but if you so much as say shit towards them in return, you get smacked with a Suspend/Banhammer for it.

And I don't wanna hear "It's because X was somehow worse" when that's absolute bullshit. Even now, I see them do that same shit again and again and yet no one ever calls them out on it and if they do, they get hit with a ban. It's a consistent and well known problem and yet the mods not only allow it, they gladly let it happen. Even fucking REDDIT is less bullshit when it comes to that crap.

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
Is there going to be a day in which you don't use strawmen to ridicule stuff?

It's not that TES must have planet busting sword users (which no one has ever claimed to my knowledge, unless you are going to draw on your gynormous victim complex to say the horrible TES wankers harassed you with planet level "arrow in the knee" guards), it's about "if a fiction has an insanely powerful sword user, what's there to prevent for another fiction to have them too, if feats support it?".

Unless you believe superhuman (superhuman when compared to RL humans, that is, capable of performing feats peak humans from Earth can't) sword users are for the exclusive use of particular fictions, which so casually align exactly with what popular opinion considers are allowed to have them because they are more flashy. And before you resort to reductio ad absurdum again, superhuman doesn't mean "equal to Superman" or "equal to Captain America". You can't just jump from "X character=superhuman despite wielding a sword" to "LOL this idiot is claiming this dood with a sword is literally capable of punching Pre-Crisis Superman in the face". I see you doing it a lot when it comes to TES threads, so I just had to point it out.

BTW, the use of stuff like "Muh TES wankers claim TES is Dragonball Z Saint Seiya Exalted gazillionumbers" is getting old already. This is just a cheap use of reduction to the absurd in order to mock your opposition and make already pretty skeptical people support any points you make. Basically because no one's said there are average TES characters around who can match Pegasus Seiya in every single town or something.

EDIT: It is funny you use these particular series to reduce claims to the absurd to boot. Dunno if you've ever read Saint Seiya but, if you think this way about TES, I'm pretty sure you would downplay the shit out of it too, so for coherence's sake, I'd advise to drop it out of your mockery. Or what, are you just parroting and have no actual knowledge of the series? Seems like that to me.

Exalted is a pretty flashy, anime-like tabletop RPG. Outside of its Gods it's not that particularly strong either, so it's also funny you put it in the same range as a series which has literal shit tiers by Super at planet level.

Trexalfa brought out the shovel against Mook oh my god :tupac

Trexalfa brought out the shovel against Mook oh my god :tupac

It's funny because there are plenty of users that will just smell bullshit over there and just randomly bury the shit out of users and their entire ideology.
I can't find the thread but good lord when someone was done with the shit and brought in receipts and everything over them basically trying to play the catfishing game, they wasn't having that

King of time

Exceptional
I'm pretty sure garou needs monsters frorm and cosmic form to defeat mash

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back