Circus of Humorous & Humiliating Arguments Part 4 Part 2: Electric Boogaloo

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member

Randomdude

Preeminent
The phrasing is stupid and kinda wanky if it's meant to be taken literally.

You don't resist getting all your cells killed by "resisting instant death" especially since there's clear clarification that the instant death is caused by different effects which ilicit different required resistances.

In this case , that shit wouldn't work against any regen worth its salt.

You just need regen for example, you don't need "instant death resistance" .

Or for other shit listed there, you just need some good mindfuck resistance.
er it bypasses regen in overlord, trolls are able to regen even after being fully minced and reduced to hamburger meat (They use old school troll rules where they literally just don't fucking die), ainz passive death aura instantly kills them.

From overlord volume eight page 249:

“Well, that’s a Troll for you; with their regeneration, they can even come back to life after being reduced to mincemeat."

And volume eight page 135:

“Ah, this ~su? Kinda looks like an uncooked hamburger patty, doesn’t it? All it needs is a good charbroiling.” A ball of blood-spattered meat shifted and twitched under the bloodied head of Lupus’ crozier. There was nothing about the pile of broken flesh that suggested that it had once been a Troll. However, what made it disgusting was the fact that it was slowly regenerating, and still breathing.

Ainz aura bypassing it page 250: [Despair Aura V (Instant Death)]. The surging aura billowed out from Ainz. The Trolls, Ogres and Guu went limp and collapsed like puppets whose strings had been cut, slumping to the ground. The fallen monsters did not move. It was clear that although their bodies were still warm, the flames of their life had been utterly extinguished.

Saying that instant death is a very complicated subset of abilities, that seem cover everything from having your soul devoured, having your life simply stop out of severe fear, to falling into a hole in the ground and instantly dying because the rules of the spell say thats how it works. (That last spell is also technically divine)

Last edited:

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
er it bypasses regen in overlord, trolls are able to regen even after being fully minced, ainz passive death aura instantly kills them.
That doesn't mean it bypasses regen, it just means it's strong enough to overpower their particular level of regen.

Randomdude

Preeminent
That doesn't mean it bypasses regen, it just means it's strong enough to overpower their particular level of regen.
I mean sure but being reduced to mince meat Is a pretty decent level of regen, I can't think of anything in the real world that survives that process. (Being fair it's solidly in the this isn't how regeneration works category, what with the fact creatures don't seem to lose memories/anything note worthy even with crippling head truama)

Maybe you and I have different thoughts on what constitutes regen "Worth it's salt" And Im not convinced any level short soul based regen would let you survive your soul being eaten... Which is in of itself a form of instant death

Randomdude

Preeminent
Good thing we're not talking about the real world then.
Im aware I was just using it as a reason I consider it a decent level of regeneration. Don't know if it's in anyway relevant to the debate, just felt the need to point out within overlord it does generally bypass the forms of regeneration we've seen. WIth the best being trolls pulling the "Minced/hamburgerafied and still getting back up" Stick.

Edit: Though again the fact instant death covers a whole slew of abilities in of itself makes it hard to know what levels of regen would be effective to counter it. As soul eating and instant death aura are dealt with the same way under overlords system. You find an item/class/ability/spell that renders you immune to instant death

Last edited:

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
Im aware I was just using it as a reason I consider it a decent level of regeneration.
Yeah, like i said, it's a decent level of regen. No question there.

Don't know if it's in anyway relevant to the debate, just felt the need to point out within overlord it does generally bypass the forms of regeneration we've seen.
Sure, in Overlord.

Outside of it ...eh. I can think of a lot of people who would laugh at it.

Not to mention ...that yunno..if you're undead or a spirit or stuff like that, you don't even have cells, so that shit won't even register..so yeah..

Randomdude

Preeminent
Yeah, like i said, it's a decent level of regen. No question there.

Sure, in Overlord.

Outside of it ...eh. I can think of a lot of people who would laugh at it.

Not to mention ...that yunno..if you're undead or a spirit or stuff like that, you don't even have cells, so that shit won't even register..so yeah..
I mean sure, if you go with some of the crazier forms of regen out there where people recover form nothing/being turned to ash but outside that I don't see why it'd have any problem with regen on the same level.

I mean yes one of the ways to be immune in overlord itself is to be undead/non living, though ainz tgoalid can bypass that. (Which is also weird when you consider the soul eating thing. We know undead like ainz have souls, not only due to word of god but due to his character sheet actaully having something called dark soul, but even low level undead would be totally immune to soul eating due to their inherent immunity to instant death which is rather strange)

There are spirits and ghost in overlord as well, its actually why people don't burn the dead/wall off graveyards, as if there's no bodies for negative energy to gather in incorporeal undead start to form, and the only way to harm an incorporeal undead is through magic equipment and abilities. Far easier to stab a zombie/crush a skeleton back to death then deal with an intangible ghost that can hit/harm you while you can't harm it.

Last edited:

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
I mean sure, if you go with some of the crazyer forms of regen out there where people recover form nothing/being turned to ash
Well, yeah, they exist you know .

Like good luck doing that shit to Alucard or Wolverine (with the higher tier showings) for example.

I mean yes one of the ways to be immune in overlord itself is to be undead/non living, though ainz tgoalid can bypass that. (Which is also weird when you consider the soul eating thing. We know undead like ainz have souls, not only due to word of god but due to his character sheet actaully having something called dark soul, but even low level undead would be totally immune to soul eating due to their inherent immunity to instant death which is rather strange)

Dunno the specifics and i don't really care, but you seem to be doing the same mistake that random Sperg-kun made, which is...that it's not "resistance to instant death" but resistance to a certain effect that triggers instant death which in this case would be soul fuck.

"Instant death" in pure form isn't really a thing outside really specific abilities or really potent haxx.

Randomdude

Preeminent

Like good luck doing that shit to Alucard or Wolverine (with the higher tier showings) for example.

Dunno the specifics and i don't really care, but you seem to be doing the same mistake that random Sperg-kun made, which is...that it's not "resistance to instant death" but resistance to a certain effect that triggers instant death which in this case would be soul fuck.

"Instant death" in pure form isn't really a thing outside of really potent shit like death manipulation in a conceptual form or reality warping or shit like that.
...When...When did I ever imply they didnt? Alucard isn't even proper regen at least if Im thinking of the right guy, doesn't he just have a shit ton of souls that allow him to keep recovering?

Its called instant death resistance, this resistance seems to cover 100 different things that would normally consider different abilities but in overlord they're all under a single category. Which is a weird thing for the author to do which was my central point. It's a very weird resistance because it's based on whatever arbitrary ideas the author has about death/instant death.

Saying that it's hardly the weirdest thing the authors done in overlord, what he's done to freedom of movement is very fucking weird.

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
..When...When did I ever imply they didnt?
When did i imply that you implied that they didn't ?

Alucard isn't even proper regen at least if Im thinking of the right guy, doesn't he just have a shit ton of souls that allow him to keep recovering?
Yeah, pretty much and you know what that's called ? Regen.

Its called instant death resistance, this resistance seems to cover a 100 different things that would normally considered different abilities but in overlord they're all under a single category.
Cool, but mechanically, it's really not that.

...When...When did I ever imply they didnt? Alucard isn't even proper regen at least if Im thinking of the right guy, doesn't he just have a shit ton of souls that allow him to keep recovering?

No, Alucard is able to regen off of his "darkness" before he feeds into souls, this is shown a few times and it's kinda overplayed how many times he actually died in the series(Which he still regen'd off of anyway).

Its called instant death resistance, this resistance seems to cover 100 different things that would normally consider different abilities but in overlord they're all under a single category. Which is a weird thing for the author to do but...

Yes and how Instant Death works in VS. series is different than how it works in a singular series.
It's why we can't pretend Kyoka Suigetsu can just run over Naruto Genjutsu despite a huge number of Genjutsu shits on Kyoka Suigetsu in terms of how ridiculous they are.

Randomdude

Preeminent
When did i imply that you implied that they didn't ?
You literally just said
Like...are you ok?
Yeah, pretty much and you know what that's called ? Regen.

....I don't know if Id call it that? More resurrection? He comes back by sacrificing his souls. Though I guess mechanically regen? It always seemed very strange to me.
No, Alucard is able to regen off of his "darkness" before he feeds into souls, this is shown a few times and it's kinda overplayed how many times he actually died in the series
That I didn't know fair point!

Yes and how Instant Death works in VS. series is different than how it works in a singular series.
Im aware just felt the need to point out how weird a resistance it is within overlord itself. Like I said the author got up to some weird shit when making overlord. Freedom of movement got really stretched

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
You literally said
I did.

Like...are you ok?
Don't feed me straight lines dude.. i'm not in the mood.

What i meant was "take them into account" when thinking about the ability ...I obviously didn't think that you didn't know that there are people like that out there.

But maybe i gave you too much credit.

I don't know if Id call it that? More ressurection? He comes back by sacraficing his souls.
I don't care what you call it. It's regen. We classify it as regen. Regen , like most abilities has sub categories, different tiers..etc.
Wolverine's regen is powered by his mutation / hyper advanced healing factor whilst Alucard's regen is powered by souls , just like Father's from FMA is. They have different natures/mechanics behind them , but at the end of the day it's still regen.

Randomdude

Preeminent
I did.

Don't feed me straight lines dude.. i'm not in the mood.

What i meant was "take them into account" when thinking about the ability ...I obviously didn't think that you didn't know that there are people like that out there.

But maybe i gave you too much credit.

I don't care what you call it. It's regen. We classify it as regen. Regen , like most abilities has sub categories, different tiers..etc.
Wolverine's regen is powered by his mutation / hyper advanced healing factor whilst Alucard's regen is powered by souls , just like Father's from FMA is. They have different natures/mechanics behind them , but at the end of the day it's still regen.
Your assuming I didn't take them into account when I literally listed feats these characters pull off? I think you need to lie down/jump off the computer for a bit. (Wolverine was who I was thinking of when it came to ash.. Though The image that popped into my head was more the time he came back from a drop of blood. Even if that was a bit context specific with the whole crystal thing. I know dead pool has pulled off the ash thing)

Fair enough on categorization, it just feels strange to consider it the same thing to me but in the end it's fiction so most lines we try to draw with arbitrary abilities like this are kinda pointless.

Last edited:

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
Your assuming I didn't when I literally listed feats these characters pull off? I think you need to lie down/jump off the computer for a bit.
Only if you show me your armchair pshych/ general medicine diploma.

Fair enough on categorization, it just feels strange to consider it the same thing to me but in the end it's fiction so most lines we try to draw with arbitrary abilities like this are kinda pointless.
I wouldn't say that.

I mean one of the reasons we're not SB tier of shit is because we take the time to think about this shit, but to each their own.

That's precisely the thing:
Regen is ultimately regen, trying to add in needless arbitrary tags are pointless.
Heracles resurrects himself completely and heals off the damage during each life lost during Nine Lives...
Alucard can heal himself with darkness or with Souls
Majin Buu can regen even from atomic dust.

You can say it's a distinction without a difference... and you wouldn't be wrong in saying it.

Back