• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Circus of Humorous & Humiliating Arguments Part 5: Diamonds are fleeting. Stupid lasts forever

Salfarc

Paramount
Scrolls of rivivfy yes but the scroll of true resurrection is canonically something gale has on hand and withers is also a figure that is part of the overarching story.

Are our tadpoles more special then others? I was under the impression ours were the same as every other true soul. I ask cause other true souls can have there brain worms ripped out immediately after death (The first true soul has theirs crawl out of their body near immediately after he dies, and you can choose to destroy it or consume it). The party is the only group whom seem bound to their worms even in death and it's a canonical way to stop cerimorphsis is to destroy the head/brain and then revive the corpse using higher tier resurrection. Which true resurrection and withers definitely count as.

I brought up people messing with you tadpole because papa neir brought up our companions worrying about playing with them causing early onset ceremorphsis, something they never seem concerned with when everyone else plays with the tadpole. More as mentioned no other true soul ever undergoes such a process even when the worm is destroyed or removed so it'd be a weird fear to have.

The game never says death and revival wouldn't work assuming that tadpole is destroyed, in fact with what we're presented it seems like it should. Immediately after death most parasite seem to flee the body. And even failing that the tadpoles can be destroyed after death (You can choose to do so upon finding your first tadpole, they're not mystically indestructible, nor do they seem soul bound to the people they're inserted into). It's just never brought up at any point in the story as a possible way to free yourself.

Like it's not the biggest deal but it's weird its never once even mentioned in the story at all when your group is willing to let a bard stick an ice pick through your eye in the vain hope it might work. They have at least one scroll of true resurrection on hand and a former god of death willing to pull them back from other planes (Theres even some special dialogue about them being on the other planes/mentioning they're unpleasant).

The tadpoles can be and are removed from other characters post death, either to be consumed or destroyed. Theres nothing, I know of that suggest destroying the tadpole and reviving someone after would bring back the tadpole beyond the fact your simply not allowed to try and the story never mentions it.
I don't think they realizes what Withers is for a really long time. And besides there is nothing that implies killing them will remove the thing from their brains, there is nothing that implies the tadpole will be destroyed. Only that if they are dead then the tadpole can't turn them to mindflayer was it? But there is nothing strongly implies if they got revived the tadpole won't come with them.

There is no reason to kill themselves.

Randomdude

Preeminent
I don't think they realizes what Withers is for a really long time. And besides there is nothing that implies killing them will remove the thing from their brains, there is nothing that implies the tadpole will be destroyed. Only that if they are dead then the tadpole can't turn them to mindflayer was it? But there is nothing strongly implies if they got revived the tadpole won't come with them.

There is no reason to kill themselves.
Except literally every other true soul that dies can have the brain worm removed and destroyed with zero issues, even moments after death. Literally the first tadpole you find in the wild can be eaten or destroyed after the true soul died. I can't stress enough your party is the only group incapable of having their brains worms removed post mortem. And gale can canonically die and be brought back with a true resurrection scroll. There is an entire mini quest around it.

The party doesn't ever learn what withers is, but he still is a feature of the story that allows for resurrection.

I think you misunderstand, I don't think killing them and instantly reviving them would work but there is no explanation I know of why when one of them is dead they can't yank out the tadpole which seems to flee the brain near immediately upon death (Like they do for every other true soul) and destroy it before casting true resurrection/asking withers to help. The story quite simply refuses to let you interact with your freinds tadpoles and never acknowledges the idea.

Youd think atleast gale would be tempted to try and use that true resurrection scroll to remove the tadpole but he never even mentions the idea.

Last edited:

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Doctor Queer has already proven himself to be a coward, a dumbass and selfish, NONE of which tend to work out well for the people involved in Shadow Games which draw out people's true natures, especially against Atem.

He's getting utterly fucking schooled and made to experience being "locked up for eternity" in illusion form, then maybe he might appreciate how horrific that really is like his previous version did.

Salfarc

Paramount
Except literally every other true soul that dies can have the brain worm removed and destroyed with zero issues, even moments after death. Literally the first tadpole you find in the wild can be eaten or destroyed after the true soul died. I can't stress enough your party is the only group incapable of having their brains worms removed post mortem. And gale can canonically die and be brought back with a true resurrection scroll. There is an entire mini quest around it.

The party doesn't ever learn what withers is, but he still is a feature of the story that allows for resurrection.

I think you misunderstand, I don't think killing them and instantly reviving them would work but there is no explanation I know of why when one of them is dead they can't yank out the tadpole which seems to flee the brain near immediately upon death (Like they do for every other true soul) and destroy it before casting true resurrection/asking withers to help. The story quite simply refuses to let you interact with your freinds tadpoles and never acknowledges the idea.

Youd think atleast gale would be tempted to try and use that true resurrection scroll to remove the tadpole but he never even mentions the idea.
But their tadpole are plastered on their head. I don't think it can run.

Randomdude

Preeminent
But their tadpole are plastered on their head. I don't think it can run.
...What? When I said flee I was referring to the first true soul you meet on the road to the blighted village, His worm exits through his nose iirc and your given the option to eat it or destroy it.

So on death it's not like they're stuck inside the corpse and impossible to remove. (not that it would change anything in regards to using high level resurrection as you can safely pulp the brain entirely but still) You are quite simply disallowed from interacting with your companions worms in any way after death for no discernable reason despite literally every other true soul having removable worms.

Salfarc

Paramount
...What? When I said flee I was referring to the first true soul you meet on the road to the blighted village, His worm exits through his nose iirc and your given the option to eat it or destroy it.

So on death it's not like they're stuck inside the corpse and impossible to remove. (not that it would change anything in regards to using high level resurrection as you can safely pulp the brain entirely but still) You are quite simply disallowed from interacting with your companions worms in any way after death for no discernable reason despite literally every other true soul having removable worms.
I don't think we know if all of those true souls have theirs stucked inside them too.

Randomdude

Preeminent
I don't think we know if all of those true souls have theirs stucked inside them too.
Have you played the game? what makes a true soul a true soul is the tadpole. The tadpole your able to remove and consume. AFAIK there are no other true souls who lack a tadpole outside your main party. Your parties tadpoles aren't special in the context of the rest of the tadpoles in the game. Your all rocking the same netherease imbued mind parasites.

Like fundamentally I don't understand what your argument is here? Is there some information Im missing that explains why we can't remove tadpoles from our fallen companions/destroy them/some note that makes you think they're specialer then literally every other infected we encounter in the game?

My issue is the game never acknowledges the rather obvious idea to kill each other...or wait for one of your pals to die, rip out the worm and bring them back. I have to repeat you're desperate enough to let volo shove an icepick into you eye. You let a mind flayer drug you to talk to it, and let a hag yank on it. Dying and having someone yank it out/destroy it like you can with every other tadpole in the game is far from the most risky/extreme fuckery with the tadpole in your head your character pulls.

Theres no line of dialogue the idea is never even mentioned by a single person despite two sources of high tier ressurection being present.

Last edited:
And it seems like you know this, but yes all of this doesn't work. None works. Killing themselves and then reviving won't work either. That and scroll of revivy may actually just be gameplay mechanic and not canonically exist.
There can be a Scroll of Revivify and True Resurrection, but only the casters that have the spell listed in their class can read and use it in the actual tabletop. Artificers, Clerics and Paladins can use Revivify. Clerics and Druids can use True Resurrection. Baldur’s Gate 3 everyone can use any scrolls.

Darth Nihilus

Lord of QUALITY
V.I.P. Member
R.8ebaee11a7ec64cab14e84c590861f2d

Revivify only works as long as the creature that has died within the last minute. It won’t work if the body turns to dust and there is no body to come back too. True Resurrection can work on creatures that has been dead for no longer than 200 years and that died for any reason except old age. It closes all wounds, neutralizes any poison, cures all diseases, and lifts any curses affecting the creature when it died. The spell replaces damaged or missing organs or limbs and can create a new body for them. Also for scrolls, if the spell is on your class's spell list but of a higher level than you can normally cast, you must make an ability check using your spellcasting ability to determine whether you cast it successfully. The DC equals 10 + the spell's level. On a failed check, the spell disappears from the scroll with no other effect. This isn’t a thing in Baldur’s Gate 3.

Back