• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Death Battle Discussion

Maddie

Acclaimed
there has got to be a better way to handle infinity nonsense than any of the current systems
Really I feel it should be simple:

Universal: Any finite amount of energy able to destroy a universe or higher
Universal+: Destroying infinite space
Multiversal: Destroying two or more spaces dimensionally, temporally, causally, or metaphysically separate

These two universes must be significantly large enough, actual universes. At that point it doesn't mater if someone is 1000000000x baseline universal he will still < a 2x multiversal character

Multiversal+: Destroying infinite separate spaces

Complex Multiversal (Throw away Hyper/megaversal) destroying a higher order infinite structure

If a dimension refers to transcending, or if there is a higher plane of reality which sees a lower as flat or unreal, that counts as transcendence, a higher order infinite structure.

OBD scales stuff aggressively horizontally, there is little to no verticality in it.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
Really I feel it should be simple:

Universal: Any finite amount of energy able to destroy a universe or higher
Universal+: Destroying infinite space
Multiversal: Destroying two or more spaces dimensionally, temporally, causally, or metaphysically separate

These two universes must be significantly large enough, actual universes. At that point it doesn't mater if someone is 1000000000x baseline universal he will still < a 2x multiversal character

Multiversal+: Destroying infinite separate spaces

Complex Multiversal (Throw away Hyper/megaversal) destroying a higher order infinite structure

If a dimension refers to transcending, or if there is a higher plane of reality which sees a lower as flat or unreal, that counts as transcendence, a higher order infinite structure.

OBD scales stuff aggressively horizontally, there is little to no verticality in it.
I've been slowly trying to understand how the infinity stuff works because Irradiance pointed out once our system doesn't match the math at all, so imo...that means it needs to be revamped. VSB also dropped the ball even though they were initially right to try and strictly play it by measurable cardinality

The real issue to me is that 1. the above should be true, it has to match with the Cantor shit to be valid but 2. (the harder issue) varying cosmologies not fitting cleanly into that box, but for this hobby to work you have to find a way for that by necessity.

I'll use Transformers as an example because it's what I'm most familiar with, but also because it's a particularly confusing example.
In TF, a universe is infinite. So with my shitty understanding of math, this is what...the smallest possible countable infinity right? We have to use a universe as our baseline essentially? So then an infinite multiverse would be the next level. This makes sense to, as it is infinitely greater than the "first" infinity. Here is where I get lost trying to square it with any existing system, for some bizarre reason in TF, a universe has an "uncountable infinity" of branch universes, for just the one original. So that makes what would normally be its "next layer" actually a lot larger, because there is already an Aleph 1 (if I'm not butchering this) of universes for just one universe.

But then for example, let's say we compare it to another series that plays Dimensional Tiering by the book, 4th Dimension is infinitely larger than the 3rd and so forth. Would that make this hypothetical 4th Dimension=what would be in Transformers, a standard 3rd Dimension? Or would it instead be equal to a "standard" infinite multiverse since it is transcending a regular 3D universe...which would actually make this 4D plane somehow smaller than Transformers' 3d plane?

I don't know that I'm making much sense here, as this stuff is complicated and try as I might, I still don't really get it. I'm also not terribly sure where the countable infinity ends and an uncountable one, large cardinals, etc. begin when you're dealing with universes and not numbers. But I guess part of my questions relies on how do we establish that "base unit", because if it's always going to be a universe, then it feels like you have multiple ways to actually square different cosmologies against each other even if one may not even use higher dimensions or planes necessarily. But also I don't know how this works exactly with lower dimensions either.

I've wanted to try and finally fix our system because it's been inoperable for so long, but I just don't have an understanding of the math needed for that.

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
hector-rubilar-hulk-v-flash.jpg

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member

OrlandoSky

Paramount
with that last response I wonder if its gonna be DC Santa vs Marvel Santa. Alot of people in the subreddit are predicting something christmas themed

Maddie

Acclaimed
So I finally got some clarification of what IF Superman can do, and basically he's constantly amped by things powered by the Source, beats Trigon trivially, and is stated dozens of times to be more powerful than he ever was before.

I still think Goku can beat Rebirth Superman given I don't buy DB's bs scaling, but DB does, and irregardless I legit think IF Superman kicks Goku's teeth in he's a different beast all together.

Maddie

Acclaimed
So I finally got some clarification of what IF Superman can do, and basically he's constantly amped by things powered by the Source, beats Trigon trivially, and is stated dozens of times to be more powerful than he ever was before.

I still think Goku can beat Rebirth Superman given I don't buy DB's bs scaling, but DB does, and irregardless I legit think IF Superman kicks Goku's teeth in he's a different beast all together.

Video on it

if this is any true then Goku is fucked due to the Trigon scaling

Why the hell did they do this Death Battle. It won't be ultimately accurate even if the outcome is right because they long crossed the Rubicon with DC scaling, the animation is nice but who cares, Goku has lost THRICE against the same character. This is bullshit

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member

Video on it

if this is any true then Goku is fucked due to the Trigon scaling

Why the hell did they do this Death Battle. It won't be ultimately accurate even if the outcome is right because they long crossed the Rubicon with DC scaling, the animation is nice but who cares, Goku has lost THRICE against the same character. This is bullshit

I mean, it's a YouTube video. YouTube is hardly a good place for solid info on this sort of thing, with full context.

In order to know for certain, like anything, you'll have to check it out yourself, when you have the time.

Maddie

Acclaimed
I mean, it's a YouTube video. YouTube is hardly a good place for solid info on this sort of thing, with full context.

In order to know for certain, like anything, you'll have to check it out yourself, when you have the time.
Thankfully the video lists every issue any given feat appears. Issue I have is I have 13 years of history between IF and where I'm at

Back