Do we need a new Tiering System for Multiversal Characters and Beyond

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
Posted this on FV but I figured I'd place it here to for input

Basically, throughout the OBD's history, many people have always tried to reform the system because multiversal matches are a headache. There've been multiple in the pipeline that never pan out for different reasons. But it's pretty clear the system needs revision, nobody can agree on how. As the hobby has grown considerably and VSB is now the forefront of it, a lot of the internet at large cedes to their standards. Obviously most people on this forum dislike this, but I wanted to evaluate it and ours to see where improvement could be made.

This was my take on comparing and contrasting their system to ours and problems I found with both

That's my understand as someone with an absolute dog ass math education, anyone who gets this stuff better can feel free to correct me. My issues with tiering systems in this hobby thus far are

->does not account for different cosmologies effectively enough, even mathematically using the same basis
->cannot seem to agree on what the 'baseline' infinity is to start measuring up from. Is it the infinite universe? If so, a system needs to strictly account for that when trying to break into the super complicated Aleph stuff, and it doesn't seem to me like VSB's has, though I think their staff are somewhat aware of that. They mention that an amount of X universes would be equivalent to a higher space, but then seem to drop this rule as they move on. This forum on the other hand only uses the latter approach and near-never the former (only seen it accepted for Elder Scrolls and the Dark Tower in my entire time here)
->The issue of non-measurable things. VSB is introducing byways to get past certain mathematic requirements for Tier 1A on the virtue that they cannot be considered the same in terms of how they're measured. Does this need to exist for other properties too, not just a character viewing a certain setting as fictional? For example, how does this type of approach mesh with a conceptual character, who has always historically been restricted to the range or scope their concept reaches. A flawed approach as it isn't a tangible thing that can be measured, but one that has been adhered to in order to prevent wank and NLF abuse of such characters.

A new system is needed to make the most of multiversal characters, but I'm not sure there's any current good model existing. One would need to be built from the ground up.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Imma post what I said there here

Imo I think the baseline system is fine, if we get to mathy or overcomplicated we could end up like VSwiki.

There's not going to any one size fits all type of thing for this so I think the process we need is just have a good baseline and for series with non-standard cosmologies have trustworthy people go in and post info about it to let others decide.

Much like we already do, of course there are problems with this, like for example Suggs and the get backers deception, and other such wankery.

The main problem is to find people who are actually trustworthy and would post unbiased info about series instead of wanking them unfairly.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
I also think we need some new categories.

20. Universe Level: Destroying a structure at least the size of the observable universe. Must have more than one statement saying that what was destroyed is universe sized
20-A. Universe+: Destroying a universe of infinite size

This is our standard for universe level, but what if you destroy a larger-than-universe structure that isn't infinite?

Take DB's universe for instance, heaven and hell are equal to the main universe in size but are still considered a part of the universe. So do we just assume anybody who can destroy the db universe is multiversal?

Destroying a universe of infinite size would also be better than our standard for multiversal actually, cause our standard for multiversal assumes that the universes are finite. So technically destroying a universe of infinite size > a finite multiverse, unless the universes in that multiverse are also infinite.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
Oh yeah, that’s honestly probably more relevant than the multiversal stuff as obviously DB characters are used a lot. The universal stuff isn’t currently broken down very well

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Imo Universe+ should mean destroying something larger than a universe, but still finite, stuff like DB, toaru, marvel, dc, etc, have universes/cosmologies where they stack additional dimensions, worlds, etc onto the universe but its still considered a part of the universe.

I guess it could look like this?

Universe Level: Destroying a single universe comparable to irl.
Universe+ Level: Destroying a structure larger than a irl universe, but still smaller/not a multiverse.
Multiversal Level: Destroying two or more universes comparable to irl.
Multiversal+ Level: Destroying a finite structure of finite universes/universe-sized dimensions.
Infinite Universal Level: Destroying a infinite universe.
Infinite Multiversal Level: Destroying an infinite multiverse.

Need a better name than infinite universal and infinite multiversal but as far as I'm aware this should make some sense.

Last edited:

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Idk man, shit like DB and To Aru have what are universe-sized dimensions connected/around the main universe. Technically destroying them should be multiversal by our standards even though DB for instance is a universe, but still below an infinite universe/multiverse.

AllForOne

Illustrious
Imo Universe+ should mean destroying something larger than a universe, but still finite, stuff like DB, toaru, marvel, dc, etc, have universes/cosmologies where they stack additional dimensions, worlds, etc onto the universe but its still considered a part of the universe.

I guess it could look like this?

Need a better name than infinite universal and infinite multiversal but as far as I'm aware this should make some sense.
It would probably just be best quantified by the 'void' (for lack of a better term) that separates universes or groups of universes.

Destroying one continuum of infinite space-time should be weaker than destroying two finite continuums because you're able to expand beyond the first one and effect greater cosmic structure in theory.

lokoxDZz

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member
Idk man, shit like DB and To Aru have what are universe-sized dimensions connected/around the main universe. Technically destroying them should be multiversal by our standards even though DB for instance is a universe, but still below an infinite universe/multiverse.
Wouldn't be possible to have some sorto f base to create a "case-by-case" rules, when it comes to multiverse/dimension bullshit it start to get a bit too complicated and messed up that trying to stick up with something completely predefined is not that interesting

Qinglong

Martyrs are the first to Die
V.I.P. Member
I agree with goldenboy that there should be some separation between infinite universe/multiverse cosmologies and finite ones somehow, because as far as I am aware there is no actual listed difference for either using current terms

just that agreed upon definition and/or naming needs work

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
What do you mean by the universe, exactly?

Phases are entirely separate spaces from each other by default, and the religious phases don't even exist in the surface of the Four Worlds (i.e. the "main" universe or phase).

The only time the entire Sephiroth is referred to as the "universe" is by Coronzon, iirc. :rock

The cosmology goes

Atziluth
Da'at
The Abyss
Briah (religious phases/pure elements/phase beings exist here, mostly anyway)
Yetzirah
Assiah/the surface of the Four Worlds/the physical world/world of man (where Magic Gods specifically are limited to affecting, and where the "main" universe or phase of the setting is)
The Pure World

the Qliphoth

This may just be me nitpicking though.

Last edited:

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
I think for the purpose of this hobby it doesn't even matter which one of those it is. If a universe contained other universe sized spaces, then it is obviously larger than another regular universe. You can extend this as much as needed.

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
Yeah the difference doesn't technically matter for scaling purposes, but I just thought I should specify that for internal lore consistency with the series

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
Also tbh I think this forum specifically has placed more importance on the separation between the spaces than actually matters. To me that denotes at best greater range, but not necessarily power. Eg. Transformers has universes with an uncountable infinity of branch universes, for one universe. That makes it the equivalent of essentially an infinite amount of multiverses just off that timeline despite them not being specifically highlighted as particularly separate from the rest of the wider multiverse. Nobody is going to convince me that somehow, because it isn't "grouped" it's less impressive than another series that has the same amount of "material" but groups them accordingly.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
It would probably just be best quantified by the 'void' (for lack of a better term) that separates universes or groups of universes.

Destroying one continuum of infinite space-time should be weaker than destroying two finite continuums because you're able to expand beyond the first one and effect greater cosmic structure in theory.
But how do we quantify the "void" though? Time and space are properties of the universe, This "void" would be unquantifiable because time and space wouldn't exist, there would be no distance, and if distance, time, space, etc does exist, that would make the void technically part of the universe, the universe would simply be a small section of this "void".

Back