Does being "Higher Dimensional" have any relevance in a fight?

OrlandoSky

Paramount
Obviously we don't go by Dimensional tiering like vsbw or db (where being a dimension higher means being "nigh infinitely more powerful than lower dimensional beings") and this is usually only relevant to comics or cosmic style manga that reach into the abstract story telling.

But if character A (a normal 3rd dimensional character with impressive feats) fights with a character whose a sixth or seventh dimensional being. Is there any concrete advantages the latter has over the former or is it just a classification that mostly sounds neat on paper?

Last edited:

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
No. I've said it before, but when writers bring in dimensions, dimension manipulation, and other shit into fiction, it's usually shorthand for "space magic". Being in a higher dimension doesn't mean shit if you don't have feats.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
It depends on the work. Nowhere near the extent sites like VBW would have you believe but some works do show how powerful a higher being is.

Like everything else, it all comes down to feats

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
as with most things it depends how it's portrayed

and I'm not trying to sound condescending if that seems obvious, but as an example

the Alternity in transformers are 10th dimensional. On its own this is just jargon. However we see in the stories, a being evolve to be on their level. They literally disappear from existence as they can't be perceived in the lower dimension any more. Something like that would be combat applicable (within reason) because it's clearly demonstrated.

Now as a counterpoint also from Transformers you have characters like the Omega Guardians who are also higher dimensional but are absolutely powerless in the lower realms and can't do anything but manipulate people to try and let them back in. Thus being on another plane doesn't do a whole lot to benefit them or give them any power over other characters.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
also it depends on how said dimension is even portrayed in series vs another

eg 5th Dimensional characters in DC are still stronger than a lot of other characters that reach into higher dimensions than that in other series. I'd be hard pressed to argue any of the Alternity beating Myxy despite dimensionally speaking their numerical "advantage"

that's the issue with dimensions in general. They rarely mean the same thing, and even when they do series tend to do whatever they want with them (Marvel having the Ivory Kings lack time travel despite being beyond "infinite dimensional" characters for example)

Irradiance

Slightly Above Average
Well, as usual it depends on what the fiction does with it.

If we go by what the logical consequences would be:
A higher dimensional being would intersect with the 3D plane in what for it is an infinitely thin slice (at most). An infinitely thin cut technically should deal no damage, so they would be virtually unkillable.
Even if the cut does deal damage (cause fiction doesn't care that an infinitely thin cut would just go straight between atoms and do nothing) if the entity in question can survive that particular cut there is no way to deal more damage to it afterwards.
Additionally, if the entity just moves out of the way in higher-dimensional space it would be outside of 3D space completely and hence couldn't be hit with any 3D attacks anymore.

Other way around an attack from a higher-dimensional entity can be quite devastating. For one it would push you into higher dimensional space, which as a 3D being you couldn't really navigate. So that's pretty good BFR.
It technically would also accelerate different parts of your body and atoms a different amount in the directions of the additional dimension(s). Since electromagnetism and strong and weak nuclear force are all 3D forces, the forces responsible for holding your body together wouldn't work anymore once not all parts of your body simultaneously exist in the same infinitely thin 3D slice anymore. This means that a punch from a higher-dimensional direction would probably disintegrate you at a subatomic level.

Also, if your body is higher-dimensional and has a positive 3D density then your body would have infinite mass in total, which might count for something.

So realistically higher-dimensional existence is pretty damn good hax, but I haven't seen a fiction that treats it like this yet.

Top59

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Obviously it depends on the fiction but if it is moderately well explained, it can probably give a certain degree of acausality and resistance to spatial manipulation, may be non-corporeal too but as always it must be reviewed case by case.

Back