Fictional Earth Settings

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Simply put. For fictional settings that don’t go into detail about the exact size and nature of the planet they take place in but is clearly a setting based on real life Earth, how do we rate them?

Examples: Dragon Ball Earth, the planet Naruto takes place on, the various parallel Earth’s in Fairy Tail. And by extension whatever Moon they have thats simply referred to as a Moon like ours.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
As far as I know we have treated the assumption as them being Earth sized unless there's sufficient evidence for them being larger or smaller, because otherwise it's just completely unquantifiable.

Should be the same for moons. Otherwise shit like Elden Ring's moon wouldn't be considered a "real Moon" and I haven't seen anybody here claim that.

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
As far as I know we have treated the assumption as them being Earth sized unless there's sufficient evidence for them being larger or smaller, because otherwise it's just completely unquantifiable.

Should be the same for moons. Otherwise shit like Elden Ring's moon wouldn't be considered a "real Moon" and I haven't seen anybody here claim that.

A good example of this would be toriko where its shown to be our Earth but absorbed into a much larger planet. So here it makes sense to treat it similar to our world.

An example of the opposite would probably be Soul Eater since we saw how that world was created thanks to Fire Force

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
And how about fictional moons? Way I see it, unless their something clearly too cartoony to take for real, like Soul Eater’s Moon, I don’t see the issue with equating it with the real life Moon it’s clearly based on with nothing else to go by that would insinuate it’s smaller or larger

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
I'm not aware of us ever excluding Moons from that standard so should be fair game

There has to be a good reason to think said moon was suitably different.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
For Earthlike planets, I usually just assume Earth-sized, though sometimes I'd throw in a low end of the smallest Earthlike planet possible. As for moons, assuming the same dimensions as Luna is fine, though there are other ways (assuming the smallest size for a round celestial body, scaling via the Roche Limit, likely other methods too).

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
I swear to god, if you make another thread to talk about the fairy tail shit instead of just doing it all in one thread imma be pissed dude

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
I swear to god, if you make another thread to talk about the fairy tail shit instead of just doing it all in one thread imma be pissed dude
Separate things. Wanted to see if what Nostalgia said was true about how the OBD disregards fictional Earth-like settings and other fictional celestial bodies as not being actual planets unless the author goes into enough detail.

This is talking about all examples in fiction too

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Separate things. Wanted to see if what Nostalgia said was true about how the OBD disregards fictional Earth-like settings and other fictional celestial bodies as not being actual planets unless the author goes into enough detail.

This is talking about all examples in fiction too
I'm pretty sure we regard them as being actual planets unless otherwise stated, like TES for example.

Back