Hajime no Ippo

B Rabbit

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Yeah I really don't get it. It's an unnecessary diversion.
I think Woli was the character for me that made me realize that the author never truly intends to end this series. I know his intro was rather late into the series, but considering I put the series on hold at 1000, and now we are in the 300s. I realize I may not have been wrong.

Still good manga though.

Nevermind

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
So apparently Sendo's fist hasn't totally healed yet and that's why the match is delayed. Ricardo wants to fight a wild animal like Sendo first.

So at least the delay is building the match.

xenos5

Objectionable Objection
V.I.P. Member
Everyone's favorite Volg is back! Wonder how his sparring with Woli will go this time :hm

This is Wally (25 combates) so who knows what he can do now :maybe

Nevermind

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member

Wally will be at training camp with Volg. Cameo from Ricardo at the end of this chapter wondering why Ippo's name keeps getting mentioned again and again. Tease for Ippo's inevitable comeback.

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator

Wally will be at training camp with Volg. Cameo from Ricardo at the end of this chapter wondering why Ippo's name keeps getting mentioned again and again. Tease for Ippo's inevitable comeback.
"What's a main character?" :maybe

Nevermind

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member

The most notable development here is that there was some confrontation over Kumi's relationship with Ippo and what it will become. Imagine Kumi still waiting around for that geek.

Ending came with a bit of a cliffhanger as Mashiba might have gone down in his preliminary world title match.

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
ippo-hajimenoippo.gif

f003d7f03807affc362727e5eb6445f8.gif

2426ec0b46f9b0a2efbfcde4dcbc7ca2.gif

IckyRecklessBluet-size_restricted.gif

rewatched that classic fight recently, still the most determined version of ippo, by far

and for ippo's tier atm, sendo deserves to be mc, what a lad, all that level up in the manga

xenos5

Objectionable Objection
V.I.P. Member
We got a surprise Itagaki match. Ippo and Shinoda giving Itagaki advice at the same time was funny but it also felt like it just further highlighted how Shinoda is a fucking useless coach whose boxers only succeed in spite of him. His advice was completely ignoring the reality that Itagaki's legs were in bad shape while Ippo had the right idea of saying Itagaki should clinch to buy some time to get his legs back.

Nevermind

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member

Itagaki looks like a bitch again.

I have a feeling Mashiba is gonna lose.

Nevermind

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member

I'm getting tired of the overprotective Ryo and Ippo being a bitch trope. Ippo, make a move on Kumi or fuck off. I have to say that the trope of all manga/anime protagonists being cowardly geeks around girls in general is also getting tiresome.

Nevermind

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
I actually think Ricardo is a better pound for pound fighter than Takamura, at least so far.

xenos5

Objectionable Objection
V.I.P. Member
I actually think Ricardo is a better pound for pound fighter than Takamura, at least so far.

The material trumps the author. So far, Ricardo's feats are better.
What's Ricardo's best feat of boxing skill again?

Cause I'm not sure whatever it is that it matches Takamura on the fly copying Bison's Flicker Jabs, figuring out how to do it BETTER than Bison so Bison had to bring out the flicker counter, and then copying the Flicker Counter to just seal Bison's Flicker Jabs off entirely.

Even if in the manga there was some magical method that produced an actual PFP fight between Takamura and Ricardo I just see Takamura adapting mid-fight and starting to use Ricardo's own moves against him.

You know the phrase “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard,”? Well Takamura pretty much embodies the hard-working genius. He puts in 200% effort into training despite not needing to for most fights. And that effort is so ingrained in his body he got that Beast Instinct mode against Bryan Hawk when he went unconscious as a result. Where all of his hits were even more accurate than usual. I can't imagine Ricardo coming out with that same kind of crazy bullshit if he went unconscious in the middle of a match. And I can't imagine him easily countering Taka in that state either if it ever came back out.

Nevermind

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Takamura nearly lost matches with Hawk, Eagle, got a hard time from Bison, Keith Dragon, etc.

Ricardo has absolutely obliterated the top players in his weight class with almost no effort at all. The hardest fight he had, by his own admission, was the second one with Date and even then he barely broke a sweat.

Maybe Takamura can copy Ricardo's stuff, but we'll never know for sure.

xenos5

Objectionable Objection
V.I.P. Member
Takamura nearly lost matches with Hawk, Eagle, got a hard time from Bison, Keith Dragon, etc.
Ya know what they all have in common? Being fellow World Champions. The are by no means jokes PFP either. Bison is basically the best possible version of Mashiba (that i'm honestly not sure even EOS Mashiba will be as good as), better technique, better durability, better reach, better everything. Eagle is the prime example for most balanced textbook boxer in the series with no big weaknesses or strengths, just godlike fundamentals. Hawk is kinda like Woli but more violent and with more experience.

And even against all of them Takamura's needed some form of nerfs for the matches to be as competitive as they were. whether it be him screwing up his weight training immensely before the Hawk match, getting a charlie horse/leg cramp during the Bison Match, or getting into a car accident before the Dragon match.
Ricardo has absolutely obliterated the top players in his weight class with almost no effort at all. The hardest fight he had, by his own admission, was the second one with Date and even then he barely broke a sweat.
My point with the previous paragraph more than anything is that while we know Ricardo is a large fish in a small pond, there's also no way to know other than the few fights from Ricardo we've actually seen from him how most of Ricardo's competition actually compares to Takamura's. On the regular you could say Ricardo's fought people on the level of Billy McCallum if you want to be generous (I say that because Billy leaving the WBC Title for WBA was given such fanfare because that kind of thing is obviously a rare occurrence). But in no way does Billy have good enough skill feats to say that in PFP he could beat or even be that much of a challenge for the World Champs Takamura's beaten. Only with Date and MAYBE Alfredo you could really have a debate how PFP matches between them and Hawk, Eagle, or Bison would go. And they seem to be the outliers. And after that you still have to take into account Taka's nerfs.

Maybe Takamura can copy Ricardo's stuff, but we'll never know for sure.
I feel like Ricardo would have to be the one to show feats that his stuff can't be copied but ok.

Back