ITT: I tell you what Critical Role character you are

Kronky’s New Groove

Pretty Much An Avenger
Yes, another one of these threads, from me. This time, I'll give you a
character from popular webseries Critical Role, where a bunch of nerdy ass voice actors
sit around and play Dungeons and Dragons. (they play dungeons and dragoOOoOo00oOOooons)
(In order: Liam O'Brien, Ashley Johnson, Taliesin Jaffe, Laura Bailey, Matthew Mercer, Marisha Ray, Travis Willingham, and Sam Riegel - plus many guests)

Post and I'll tell you which character from the realm of Exandria you are.
(Also, if you can remind me who y'all are that'd be nice)

(inb4 i abandon this)

One Last Username

Distinguished
Yes, another one of these threads, from me. This time, I'll give you a
character from popular webseries Critical Role, where a bunch of nerdy ass voice actors
sit around and play Dungeons and Dragons. (they play dungeons and dragoOOoOo00oOOooons)
(In order: Liam O'Brien, Ashley Johnson, Taliesin Jaffe, Laura Bailey, Matthew Mercer, Marisha Ray, Travis Willingham, and Sam Riegel - plus many guests)

Post and I'll tell you which character from the realm of Exandria you are.
(Also, if you can remind me who y'all are that'd be nice)

(inb4 i abandon this)
Vasy donc mon pit!

Kronky’s New Groove

Pretty Much An Avenger
You are MOLLYMAUK TEALEAF
il_794xN.2740599169_dh3i.jpg

A tiefling blood hunter who joined at the beginning of the adventures of the party of heroes that would come to be known as the Mighty Nein, Molly - as he is referred to affectionately - is a person of mystery in part because his past is unknown to him. He awoke one day in the company of a traveling carnival only capable of saying one word: "empty." And from the feeling of being "empty" he became M. T. - Mollymauk Tealeaf. In the company of his fellow circusfolk, Molly grew into a flamboyant person with few cares and even fewer filters. He often stood out more than most with his bright purple skin, red eyes, a mess of tattoos all over his body, and an unapologetically flamboyant fashion sense. Openly genderfluid (though favoring he/him pronouns) and bisexual, anyone was fair game to Molly's flirtations. A lover of life bordering on downright hedonistic, Molly did his best to ensure everyone he met knew that it was okay to just let loose... or make people feel wholly uncomfortable in the process. After all, what is the point of life if you're not going to live it to the fullest?

"They say solitaire is a game for the death obsessed, there's an inevitability to every hand, most of them are doomed from the start no matter what you do."

When the oni-giant Lorenzo and his crew known as the Iron Shepherds kidnapped several members of the party to sell into slavery, Molly joined the remaining party in launching a retaliatory attack against the slavers. Sadly, Molly would be killed by Lorenzo in the battle with their only cleric missing and too weak to return him to life. However, it would not be the last time the party would see this memorable purple tiefling, although he would be a very different person at that time - his original self, a mercenary known as Lucien the Nonagon and the new main antagonist of the series. Lucien's eventual death (and a prayer from the cleric Caduceus) would lead to this soul being reborn a third time, awakening in his "empty" state. Although he would not retain any specific memories from either Mollymauk or Lucien, he said he dreamt that he felt like a king, leading him to christen himself as Kingsley Tealeaf, considering himself a "brother" to Molly. Kingsley would not remain in the company of the Mighty Nein for long, leaving with a journal written by the monk Beauregard that recounted the adventures the team had with his former self, memories that Kingsley would later read about as he sailed the high-seas as pirate captain of a stolen ship... a ship he would rename "The Mollymauk."

Behind The Scenes
Mollymauk was created and played by Taliesin Jaffe until character death, appearing in only 27 of 141 episodes as this persona. When reborn much later as his original self, Lucien, control of the character was taken over by Dungeon Master Matt Mercer for 18 episodes. Taliesin resumed control of the character when he was reborn after Lucien's death at the hands of the Mighty Nein. His rebirth as Kingsley has caused much debate amongst fans, as well as backlash from those who wanted the "real" Mollymauk back. However Taliesin has stood by his direction for the character and has said he looks forward to exploring him more.

Last edited:

One Last Username

Distinguished
You are MOLLYMAUK TEALEAF
il_794xN.2740599169_dh3i.jpg

A tiefling blood hunter who joined at the beginning of the adventures of the party of heroes that would come to be known as the Mighty Nein, Molly - as he is referred to affectionately - is a person of mystery in part because his past is unknown to him. He awoke one day in the company of a traveling carnival only capable of saying one word: "empty." And from the feeling of being "empty" he became M. T. - Mollymauk Tealeaf. In the company of his fellow circusfolk, Molly grew into a flamboyant person with few cares and even fewer filters. He often stood out more than most with his bright purple skin, red eyes, a mess of tattoos all over his body, and an unapologetically flamboyant fashion sense. Openly genderfluid (though favoring he/him pronouns) and bisexual, anyone was fair game to Molly's flirtations. A lover of life bordering on downright hedonistic, Molly did his best to ensure everyone he met knew that it was okay to just let loose... or make people feel wholly uncomfortable in the process. After all, what is the point of life if you're not going to live it to the fullest?

When the oni-giant Lorenzo and his crew known as the Iron Shepherds kidnapped several members of the party to sell into slavery, Molly joined the remaining party in launching a retaliatory attack against the slavers. Sadly, Molly would be killed by Lorenzo in the battle with their only cleric missing and too weak to return him to life. However, it would not be the last time the party would see this memorable purple tiefling, although he would be a very different person at that time - his original self, a mercenary known as Lucien the Nonagon and the new main antagonist of the series. Lucien's eventual death (and a prayer from the cleric Caduceus) would lead to this soul being reborn a third time, awakening in his "empty" state. Although he would not retain any specific memories from either Mollymauk or Lucien, he said he dreamt that he felt like a king, leading him to christen himself as Kingsley Tealeaf, considering himself a "brother" to Molly. Kingsley would not remain in the company of the Mighty Nein for long, leaving with a journal written by the monk Beauregard that recounted the adventures the team had with his former self, memories that Kingsley would later read about as he sailed the high-seas as pirate captain of a stolen ship... a ship he would rename "The Mollymauk."

Behind The Scenes
Mollymauk was created and played by Taliesin Jaffe until character death, appearing in only 27 of 141 episodes as this persona. When reborn much later as his original self, Lucien, control of the character was taken over by Dungeon Master Matt Mercer for 18 episodes. Taliesin resumed control of the character when he was reborn after Lucien's death at the hands of the Mighty Nein. His rebirth as Kingsley has caused much debate amongst fans, as well as backlash from those who wanted the "real" Mollymauk back. However Taliesin has stood by his direction for the character and has said he looks forward to exploring him more.
Funny thing is in my Friday game, I play a tiefling sorcerer.

Kronky’s New Groove

Pretty Much An Avenger

You are GROG STRONGJAW
19287306.jpg

A goliath barbarian born into a group of nomadic raiders called the Herd of Storm, Grog knew much of violence and fighting throughout his life but also learned compassion very early on. When the Herd found a helpless old gnome and attacked him, Grog felt it necessary to protect the old man. Kevdak, leader of the Herd and Grog's uncle, had the goliath beaten near to death and exiled. Grog's kindness did not betray him as the old gnome would send his great granddaughter, a cleric named Pike Trickfoot, to rescue him. Although Grog would go on to adventure on his own, he and Pike remained closest of friends and would eventually find themselves allies in arms in the group of heroes known as Vox Machina. Despite his imposing appearance, Grog was known amongst his allies as a true friend and someone who enjoyed a good drink, a good shag, and a good fight above all.

"Hello, my name is Grog Strongjaw. We have not had the ability to meet. I appreciate the meat that is coming out of your dome. However, since we have not had the pleasure of acquainting, I hope that you will consider coming back to life so that I may thank you properly for protecting my friends. That being said... Get your fucking ass up because no one dies around Vox Machina, we've had too many deaths already and I swear I will beat you all over this room until you die a second time!"

Although Grog was undoubtedly the weakest of the group in terms of intelligence, he was not without his own occasional moments of profound brilliance and made up for other shortcomings with sheer dedication and determination. He designated himself the "tank" of the group, often using his abilities to not only draw aggression from enemies but take the brunt of damage that he knew weaker members of Vox Machina could not handle. He remained as close as ever to Pike as if they were siblings, the latter even eventually teaching Grog to read and conversational skills. When it had seemed like all their adventures had finally come to an end, Grog found himself in dire need of help - pulling The Void card from the Deck of Many Things he had acquired during their travels sent him plummeting into a catatonic state with his soul ripped from his body. However, Grog had proven just how much he affected the others as they quickly rallied together to dive into the plane of Pandemonium to retrieve his soul. With the goliath made whole again, he set out to right some wrongs he had made in their journey and would go on to continue adventuring with Pike, officially moving into the Trickfoot home, and eventually walking (er... carrying) his long-time friend's future husband, gnome bard Scanlan Shorthalt, down the aisle to take Pike's hand in marriage.

Behind The Scenes
Grog was created and played by Travis Willingham, and was one of Travis' first forays into the world of Dungeons and Dragons while the other players had much more experience. Although Grog had the lowest intelligence score of the party, the other players would jokingly refer to him as "the smartest barbarian" and Travis himself would call him "Professor Grog" as Travis was often the quickest at doing math among the group. The low intelligence also led to a catchphrase of Grog's, "I have an intelligence of 6, I know what I'm doing." Grog's other catchphrase is notably "I would like to rage," often said quite politely, something that would carry over into the second campaign as a saying for Yasha, the aasimar barbarian played by Ashley Johnson, usually chorused by Travis shouting nonsensical words of encouragement or proclamations of "Yes you would!"

Last edited:

Kronky’s New Groove

Pretty Much An Avenger
I’ll take one shot please

(who am I kidding, I need like four)
You are JESTER LAVORRE
kyustet.png

Born Genevieve Lavorre, the blue tiefling cleric was nothing if not... energetic. Her mother Marion was a busy woman as a world-renown courtesan and songstress, leaving Jester to her own devices at times where she taught herself to paint, draw, and even sculpt a little. An imaginary friend that called himself a god known as The Traveler that often talked her into pulling pranks made things a little difficult, one day leading to her pulling the wrong kind of prank on the wrong kind of person and finding herself banished from her home in the port town of Nicodranas. Marion kept her daughter in secret, but Jester grew bored of life and sought out to go on an adventure like the ones she had always read about - to find excitement, treasure, and love. And sure enough, she would find all of the above in spades... especially as it turned out that her so-called imaginary friend was not so imaginary but actually a rogue archfey named Artagan who had taken a liking to her and granted her the spellcasting powers of a cleric through his own magical energy. Jester would use these abilities to punish vile evildoers, fight dangerous monsters, and pull hilarious pranks on people... and once in a while heal her allies in the group of heroes that would be known as the Mighty Nein.

"I know you're in there, Molly. We love you so much and we want you back. Lucien doesn't deserve you."​

Although her sense of right and wrong might be slightly skewed, as a cleric from the Trickery domain and a natural prankster, she knows all too well from childhood stories what makes a hero and what makes a villain. Her idealist nature, however, also makes her believe that many people can be saved - a belief that helps pull her and the rest of the party through a darkness when they are betrayed by their brainwashed barbarian ally Yasha and when long-dead friend Mollymauk is revived as the villain Lucien. Through their many adventures together, she has built a reputation amongst her friends for using her artistic skills to leave behind small statues or drawings of penises in places they most assuredly should not be, everywhere from on the table of an inn to a statue of a god in a holy church, all in the belief that it is a nice surprise for someone some day. Her light-hearted gestures, artistic mind, and constant optimism has melted icy hearts, soothed old wounds, and even helped some people find love. Jester's endless concept of idealistic romance even led her not only finding the father she never knew, the water genasi and crime boss known as The Gentleman, and building a relationship with him but also reigniting the romance between him and her mother. When the Mighty Nein found themselves at the end of their journey, Jester would leave with her long-time crush Fjord, the half-orc warlock-paladin and a former sailor who felt the call of the open sea once more. Though, as suggested by Fjord, they would also buy a small home in Nicodranas, making it their port to return to so Jester could visit her mother (and her father, as he would eventually fake his death to be with Marion thanks to Jester reuniting them) whenever she wanted.

Behind The Scenes
Jester Lavorre was created and played by Laura Bailey. Throughout the entirety of the campaign, it is noted that Jester is hilariously stingy with her healing spells and often takes the opportunity to attack enemies instead of healing allies, often having to be meta-reminded of someone might be dying. This is because when Laura first created the character, she wanted to be an offensive spellcaster but she found out that the party already had a wizard and a warlock. So she, begrudgingly, took on the role of a healer. Laura notes that Jester was also partly meta-gamed, admitting that from the beginning she intended to attempt to romance the character of her husband, Travis Willingham, no matter the cost. This is because Travis has said that he would never engage in any romantic roleplay as he thinks it's silly. Ironically it was Travis' character Fjord, after one hundred episodes, that ended up making the first real move, leading to a round of applause and cheers from friends (and much embarrassment on Travis' part) for finally overcoming the challenge.

Last edited:

Kronky’s New Groove

Pretty Much An Avenger
Vasy donc mon pit!
You are DARIAX ZAVEON
Michael-Fiore-@TobeySpine.jpg

If chaos were put into a sentient form, it would be this bizarre dwarf sorcerer from the farming community Turst Fields, a home he described as boring and dull and quickly abandoned to join the Thieves' Guild... which ended up being just one of his many short-lived ventures. Dariax cares little for social stigmas or rules or... well, much of anything that would tie him down for long. Struck with a wanderlust and a desire to just have fun, he has a strong belief in "fucking people over before they fuck you over." Combine this with a low intelligence and wisdom, and an impulsive nature that very few people can reign in, it should come as no surprise that Dariax excels at getting in trouble or doing exceedingly dangerous and stupid things. Hell, the earliest memory he has with his friends was a literal pissing contest on the roof of an inn. The only form of guidance he seems to except outside of his own random whim is a compass pendant he wears that he'll occasionally spin to tell him which direction he should wander next.

"I've spent my whole life gettin' fucked over. If you don't start fuckin' people over you're not going to survive, buddy."

Mind you Dariax is not a bad person. Through his adventures with his companions, he shows that the two things he hate most in the world are liars and people who would harm anyone he cares about. The love he shares for his fellow adventurers seems to be the only thing that make him think straight, even going so far as to reject the gift offerings of Lloth the Spider Queen - something that greatly draws her ire - because he fears how it'll affect him and consequently affect his friends. He shares a particularly close relationship with air genasi bard Dorian Storm, the pair often sleeping together back-to-back. There's still quite a bit of mystery surrounding Dariax that his friends don't quite know about, like how did he suddenly sprout wings after claiming the voice of a goddess spoke to him, and how does a sorcerer know magic that would normally only be accessible to a cleric? As it turns out, Dariax himself doesn't even know... but he also doesn't seem to care all that much as long as he gets to continue hanging around with his best friends and causing a little mayhem along the way.

Behind The Scenes
Dariax was created and played by Matthew Mercer as part of a mini-campaign spin-off called Exandria Unlimited, marking the first time he got to play a character in his own world while someone else was the Dungeon Master (Aabria Iyengar). Although Dariax's backstory is never fully explored due to the short campaign, it's believed he has a Divine Soul background as a sorcerer due to his cleric spells and wings. During the campaign, Dariax transforms into a female dancer and performer named Tharla Starr and finds he quite enjoys the experience, Matt later joking that he thinks the ordeal "awakened" something in the dwarf.

Last edited:

Kronky’s New Groove

Pretty Much An Avenger
You are ARTAGAN
2tc2WIS.png

An archfey with no allegiances and a wild imagination, Artagan typically does everything for his own amusement. Originally taking the guise of a satyr to follow along with the group of heroes known as Vox Machina as they entered the Feywild, he made temporary allies of them as he would later assist by altering time in the Feywild to allow them to rest and recover their strength. In exchange, he asked them to build him a gate that would allow him to travel freely into the Material Plane (oh, and they had to let him kill one of them but that's a long story). Sure enough, Vox Machina kept their word and some time later Artagan found himself wandering the world of mortals freely and - seemingly - without consequence. However, the archfey soon found his attention drawn inexplicably to a kindred spirit - a little blue tiefling child named Jester. He would reveal himself to her in the persona of The Traveler, a god of mischief and trickery and pranks, and remained by her side as she grew. Curiously he began to find that Jester's belief in his divinity was actually making it true, allowing him to bless her with powers not unlike those that other deities grant their clerics. As Jester grew more devout and spread the word of the Traveler, Artagan began to realize he was growing more powerful and more capable of hearing the prayers of people who believed in him. So it was to them he blessed with some simple edict: let chaos reign.

"It's so strange. Classically, mortal life is so... brief and dull and spoken of from the perspective of my folk for ages as... toys. Why are you so different? It makes no sense, really. It's frustrating. I just wanted to say I'm sorry I couldn't be the god you wanted me to be."

Although he welcomed and relished in the attention initially, he soon became overwhelmed. Artagan liked being acknowledged as a deity but loathed the responsibility that came with it. So it was with that he told Jester of his true self and had her - and her allies - help hatch a plan that would shuck off his followers to another deity, another deity that would send her own avatar to punish Artagan for his posturing as a god and threaten to take him back to the Feywild. Jester managed to convince the avatar to spare the archfey and though his entire charade unraveled and his former followers saw him for what he was, that little blue tiefling remained by his side. Although Artagan would maintain his love of tricks, Jester and her friends - who were all very suspect of Artagan all along - saw that he truly wasn't a bad person. Even in his proclamation as a god telling people to cause chaos, it remained an important facet that his followers leave the world better than they left it, to always ensure there was a balance to everything they did. He would even take the form of a crimson weasel Jester conveniently bought from a traveling pet merchant, so that he could keep a close eye on her and her friends whenever he was able to. As the Mighty Nein's journey came to an end, Artagan confided in Jester that he felt regret that he wasn't what the god that she always wanted but found that she didn't really mind, because he was still the friend she always wanted. He would feel that familiar pull again, to wander, to find something fun and interesting in this mortal realm, but swore he'd return. After all, he promised to show her the Feywild one day...

Behind The Scenes
Artagan was created and played by Matthew Mercer as an NPC character. Although he was initially meant to be a small part character in the first campaign, he would come up again and left a lasting impression on fans and the cast. When Laura Bailey began work on her new character for campaign 2, Jester, she told Matt she wanted to make a warlock whose patron was Artagan and he agreed. However, she felt compelled to change her character to a cleric and as the roleplay began Matt went in the direction of an entity known as "The Traveler," making Laura believe he had changed his mind. It was nearly a hundred episodes later before the true identity of the Traveler was revealed. In various talks, Matt confirmed fan suspicions that various random NPCs with bright orange hair that the party encountered throughout campaign 2 were, indeed, Artagan taking other forms to watch over Jester showing that he always cared for her well-being from the start.

colours

yung plague
Art Section
You are JESTER LAVORRE
kyustet.png

Born Genevieve Lavorre, the blue tiefling cleric was nothing if not... energetic. Her mother Marion was a busy woman as a world-renown courtesan and songstress, leaving Jester to her own devices at times where she taught herself to paint, draw, and even sculpt a little. An imaginary friend that called himself a god known as The Traveler that often talked her into pulling pranks made things a little difficult, one day leading to her pulling the wrong kind of prank on the wrong kind of person and finding herself banished from her home in the port town of Nicodranas. Marion kept her daughter in secret, but Jester grew bored of life and sought out to go on an adventure like the ones she had always read about - to find excitement, treasure, and love. And sure enough, she would find all of the above in spades... especially as it turned out that her so-called imaginary friend was not so imaginary but actually a rogue archfey named Artagan who had taken a liking to her and granted her the spellcasting powers of a cleric through his own magical energy. Jester would use these abilities to punish vile evildoers, fight dangerous monsters, and pull hilarious pranks on people... and once in a while heal her allies in the group of heroes that would be known as the Mighty Nein.

Although her sense of right and wrong might be slightly skewed, as a cleric from the Trickery domain and a natural prankster, she knows all too well from childhood stories what makes a hero and what makes a villain. Her idealist nature, however, also makes her believe that many people can be saved - a belief that helps pull her and the rest of the party through a darkness when they are betrayed by their brainwashed barbarian ally Yasha and when long-dead friend Mollymauk is revived as the villain Lucien. Through their many adventures together, she has built a reputation amongst her friends for using her artistic skills to leave behind small statues or drawings of penises in places they most assuredly should not be, everywhere from on the table of an inn to a statue of a god in a holy church, all in the belief that it is a nice surprise for someone some day. Her light-hearted gestures, artistic mind, and constant optimism has melted icy hearts, soothed old wounds, and even helped some people find love. Jester's endless concept of idealistic romance even led her not only finding the father she never knew, the water genasi and crime boss known as The Gentleman, and building a relationship with him but also reigniting the romance between him and her mother. When the Mighty Nein found themselves at the end of their journey, Jester would leave with her long-time crush Fjord, the half-orc warlock-paladin and a former sailor who felt the call of the open sea once more. Though, as suggested by Fjord, they would also buy a small home in Nicodranas, making it their port to return to so Jester could visit her mother (and her father, as he would eventually fake his death to be with Marion thanks to Jester reuniting them) whenever she wanted.

Behind The Scenes
Jester Lavorre was created and played by Laura Bailey. Throughout the entirety of the campaign, it is noted that Jester is hilariously stingy with her healing spells and often takes the opportunity to attack enemies instead of healing allies, often having to be meta-reminded of someone might be dying. This is because when Laura first created the character, she wanted to be an offensive spellcaster but she found out that the party already had a wizard and a warlock. So she, begrudgingly, took on the role of a healer. Laura notes that Jester was also partly meta-gamed, admitting that from the beginning she intended to attempt to romance the character of her husband, Travis Willingham, no matter the cost. This is because Travis has said that he would never engage in any romantic roleplay as he thinks it's silly. Ironically it was Travis' character Fjord, after one hundred episodes, that ended up making the first real move, leading to a round of applause and cheers from friends (and much embarrassment on Travis' part) for finally overcoming the challenge.

:catjamn

Back