• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #12: the law of the victory, is courage and hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
Went back in time to when people were even shittier than they are today and where technology was complete ass and medicine was dick. Truly a happy ending
the real reason he went back was because he wanted to experience the segregation age

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
>people saying that anime about the rock women or whatever is better written than berserk
wut.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
So I saw Multiverse of Madness...
I'm not sure what to think of it. I'm not even sure if I liked it. It started out solid enough, but when we meet the Illuminati it became...bland? I'm still trying to word my exact feelings on it. The first Doctor Strange movie felt much better, and even then I consider that the archtypal MCU story in terms of structure. Even then, the first Doctor Strange movie was able to stand on its own much more than this one. I will grant that this movie has much less bathos in it, but still feels a lot less strong.

This one I feel is trying to set things up more than the last one, and even then I'm not sure how good a job it does at it. Patrick Stewart appears as Charles Xavier...and dies 10 minutes later. Reed Richard appears...and dies 5 minutes later. Even if these are parallel versions of the characters, they're popular among fans still. I remember Xavier dying in Logan being played as super emotional, but here they just seem to kill him to show how powerful Scarlet Witch is. The Living Tribunal also appears...as a statue in a parallel universe for 2 seconds. Not-Shuma Gorath appears...and is literally some other spooky demon which isn't Shuma Gorath (Disney didn't have the rights for Shuma Gorath apparently, so they went with Gargantos; IIRC the rights to Shuma's movie rights is with Conan still) The MCU keeps doing stuff like this; putting teases in, but it's just stuff they can put in the trailers.

Wanda is now outright crazy and evil, which I feel might be an assassination of her character. She wants to bring her children back, and is willing to murder a teenager to do it. She says she wouldn't hurt anyone, despite wanting to kill America to take her power, killing all the Illuminati and keeping a town hostage so she can LARP having a normal family (I might have to think back over my opinions of WandaVisions sometime; the premise of a sitcom show with something spooky going on beneath, Wanda torturing a whole town for her own ends seems kind of...wut).

I will admit though; there were some scenes that I liked. Wanda revealing she's evil was neatt, and so was Doctor Strange possessing a dead parallel Strange was cool (although the following scenes with him where kind of corny, though I guess it's a Raimi thing, which is hit or miss depending on who you are). It was kind of cool how Black Bolt died (even if it was kind of like the Matrix). All the actors did a good job.

There's setup for future MCU titles, but honestly, this didn't sell me on enjoying the MCU now. Not just what might come and might be good. I said this would be one of the movies which would weigh into me watching more MCU movies in the future previously, and honestly it's not looking good. I might check out Guardians of the Galaxy 3, but that's about it, unless the MCU pulls out something else. I went in expecting a stand alone movie that I could enjoy regardless of the rest of the MCU, but even then I left feeling disappointed. I don't want to jump on the shitting on the MCU bandwagon, I did really like No Way Home after all, but I think it's time for the MCU to end, or if not end, go on hiatus. Go to putting something out every few years instead of every month.

This might just be me, and if you like Sam Raini's other stuff or the Doctor Strange comics you might enjoy this a lot more than I did, but I just felt like I didn't enjoy this. I did enjoy Raini's other movies, but I don't really have any emotional attachments to them. And even with the comics, maybe they messed up the comics.

sir_fire

Distinguished
>people saying that anime about the rock women or whatever is better written than berserk
wut.png
Don't knock it till you try it. Besides, Berserk is upfront on what it is so you know that it's always going to be how horrible and terrible things and people are in its world.

Unlike Houseki which has one of the biggest falls of any main character I have ever seen. Like watching a car crash in slow motion and you wouldn't even know it from the first chapters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back