• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #15: Gather, Ye War Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
I don't think Mubong got more plot armor than the protags. Plus I liked Mubong's fall from grace.

Mubong was a completely unnecessary antagonist. He had no reason to act against Mori and his grandpa after Ragnarock, both of whom were perfectly content to just walk away and leave him in charge of everything. Daewi never would have bothered with the remnants of the church if Mubong hadn't forced his hand. Mira would have been back with Daewi inside of a day and gotten her memory back.

He only did what he did so the story had something else to do besides the stupid bishop dude. They could have easily done a far more interesting arc of him and the protagonists trying to awaken Gen X in preparation for Tatgasomething if they really needed to have more conflict.

In the version we got, the protagonists get him dead to rights something like half a dozen times and then just....let him go. Until he gets the God mode power he was absolutely no threat whatsoever and was largely just there to be an opposing force.

Post-Tatgawhatmachacallit powerup he can suddenly dunk on the protagonists, except Daewi and especially Mori have both beaten that stupid thing before. He keeps getting into fights where he is blatantly losing and then the author blatantly saves his ass.

At this point it just feels fake because Mubong's original motivation has been completely lost and he's basically throwing an extended tantrum over the fact that a monkey is better at fighting than he is. It's a complete waste of his character and drags everything else down. I still like Mori, Daewi, and Mira, and the supporting cast is still strong, but Mubong is just crap at this point

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member

Looks like Minecraft is on its way to go down the Roblox route (the moderation there is fucking jokeworthy).

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Mubong was a completely unnecessary antagonist. He had no reason to act against Mori and his grandpa after Ragnarock, both of whom were perfectly content to just walk away and leave him in charge of everything.
Except that gets spelled out during his flashback?
At this point it just feels fake because Mubong's original motivation has been completely lost and he's basically throwing an extended tantrum over the fact that a monkey is better at fighting than he is. It's a complete waste of his character and drags everything else down.
Except that's literally what has been?

From the beginning Mubong was a spiteful fuck, his 'put humans on top' motive was just cause he hated the gods. He never really believed in it, which is why he decided to fuck over both humans and gods in the end.

He tried to kill Mori just because he was God and he killed Taejin just cause he was better than him.

Post-Tatgawhatmachacallit powerup he can suddenly dunk on the protagonists, except Daewi and especially Mori have both beaten that stupid thing before.
Mori literally needed a power-up to defeat Tathagatha and was weak enough that the Jade Emp could turn him into a human. Daewi fought a weaker version of him. And Maitreya's said to be stronger anyway.
He only did what he did so the story had something else to do besides the stupid bishop dude. They could have easily done a far more interesting arc of him and the protagonists trying to awaken Gen X in preparation for Tatgasomething if they really needed to have more conflict.
That would never work for the simple fact that Mori is still a god.

Seriously idk what character you guys say him as. He's literally just a spiteful dude that hated gods cause they took his girlfriend, and then hated humans cause they betrayed him.

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Except that gets spelled out during his flashback?

Except that's literally what has been?

From the beginning Mubong was a spiteful fuck, his 'put humans on top' motive was just cause he hated the gods. He never really believed in it, which is why he decided to fuck over both humans and gods in the end.

He tried to kill Mori just because he was God and he killed Taejin just cause he was better than him.

Mori literally needed a power-up to defeat Tathagatha and was weak enough that the Jade Emp could turn him into a human. Daewi fought a weaker version of him. And Maitreya's said to be stronger anyway.

That would never work for the simple fact that Mori is still a god.

Seriously idk what character you guys say him as. He's literally just a spiteful dude that hated gods cause they took his girlfriend, and then hated humans cause they betrayed him.

All of that was added afterwords to his story to explain why he was suddenly being a brain-dead dickhole :zaru

There wasn't any indication of it ahead of time and it only made his character worse for it

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
All of that was added afterwords to his story to explain why he was suddenly being a brain-dead dickhole :zaru

There wasn't any indication of it ahead of time and it only made his character worse for it
Disagree, there were many moments beforehand showing his true colors. For example him ignoring the non-power borrower population and only focusing on borrowed power.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Like Mubong's entire thing was foreshadowed from all the way back in s1, you can't say the author changed his character or something when it's something shown from the very beginning.

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Disagree, there were many moments beforehand showing his true colors. For example him ignoring the non-power borrower population and only focusing on borrowed power.

That was part of his original motivation where he wanted to push forward the best parts of humanity. There was never anything wrong with that, but killing Mori's grandpa completely violates that. And he alienated the two strongest humans in Daewi and Mira. And Mori was raised as a human and explicitly only that powerful because of human martial arts.

He completely abandons his motivation for being a dick head despite having continuously swallowed his pride to work with non-human powers prior to that.

Like Mubong's entire thing was foreshadowed from all the way back in s1, you can't say the author changed his character or something when it's something shown from the very beginning.

They foreshadowed his human supremacist thing, but he had been willing to join hands with non-human powers and swallow his pride for the sake of humanity as a whole.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
@CrossTheHorizon

The only reason he was willing to work with non-humans and use PB was cause he and humans didn't have the power to fight the gods on there own. His thing was that he was gonna use the power of the gods to beat gods. And it should be noted that, this was before Gen X, hell it was before Ragnarok. Once Mori made the deal with the gods and R broke the taboo. Mubong didn't need the gods anymore.

He even says it in his bout with Mori at the end of the second world tournament to Mori. I don't remember the exact line but he says something about how Mori doesn't belong in the world cause he's a god.

Only reason why he used Charyeok after was cause how most humans developed them after the taboo was broken and cause he wanted to make modern humanity more powerful.

But even then he was waiting for and cared more about Generation X, humans with their own Divine Power. And even waxed poetic about how Taboo humans will die off and be replaced with Gen X. He cared more about 5-6 kids than most of humanity.

Like yes he wasn't all let's genocide normal humans at this point but even without his backstory the blaring signs were there.

Like the guy cared more about thinking his son was Gen X than the actual health of his child, or even the child itself.

As far as I can see even without the backstory he got his actions as Maitreya is just a natural progression of his 'human supremacy', megalomania and arrogance.

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
@CrossTheHorizon

The only reason he was willing to work with non-humans and use PB was cause he and humans didn't have the power to fight the gods on there own. His thing was that he was gonna use the power of the gods to beat gods. And it should be noted that, this was before Gen X, hell it was before Ragnarok. Once Mori made the deal with the gods and R broke the taboo. Mubong didn't need the gods anymore.

He even says it in his bout with Mori at the end of the second world tournament to Mori. I don't remember the exact line but he says something about how Mori doesn't belong in the world cause he's a god.

Only reason why he used Charyeok after was cause how most humans developed them after the taboo was broken and cause he wanted to make modern humanity more powerful.

But even then he was waiting for and cared more about Generation X, humans with their own Divine Power. And even waxed poetic about how Taboo humans will die off and be replaced with Gen X. He cared more about 5-6 kids than most of humanity.

Like yes he wasn't all let's genocide normal humans at this point but even without his backstory the blaring signs were there.

Like the guy cared more about thinking his son was Gen X than the actual health of his child, or even the child itself.

As far as I can see even without the backstory he got his actions as Maitreya is just a natural progression of his 'human supremacy', megalomania and arrogance.

Again, almost all of that came out post-Ragnarock where he pivoted from "anti-hero of another story" to "giga-asshole primary villain"

He was never a good guy but he had reasonable motivations and goals, and was willing to hold in his own prejudices and pride in order to accomplish them.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Again, almost all of that came out post-Ragnarock where he pivoted from "anti-hero of another story" to "giga-asshole primary villain"

He was never a good guy but he had reasonable motivations and goals, and was willing to hold in his own prejudices and pride in order to accomplish them.
Then I don't think we can agree with each other. Cause I actually like post-ragnarok Mubong and Matreiya Mubong's character. Sure does his fights and stay in the story drag on for a bit, sure but without him we wouldn't have gotten moments like Daewi and Mira resolving to fight him despite there wounds. Or fights like Ryong vs Daewi. Which are some of my favorite moments.

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Then I don't think we can agree with each other. Cause I actually like post-ragnarok Mubong and Matreiya Mubong's character. Sure does his fights and stay in the story drag on for a bit, sure but without him we wouldn't have gotten moments like Daewi and Mira resolving to fight him despite there wounds. Or fights like Ryong vs Daewi. Which are some of my favorite moments.

Yeah, we're not going to agree on this. For what it's worth, I think they could have easily just had Tahthawhosit act in the same capacity as Mubong is now while Mubong took on the role of the leader of humans at odds with Mori's group. Make it an enemy mine situation of sorts again.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Yeah, we're not going to agree on this. For what it's worth, I think they could have easily just had Tahthawhosit act in the same capacity as Mubong is now while Mubong took on the role of the leader of humans at odds with Mori's group. Make it an enemy mine situation of sorts again.
Maybe, but I do really like Mubong's fall from grace arc. I feel like it's really fitting for his character, even if he started out different. In the end, he's the same as R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back