• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #15: Gather, Ye War Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Oh, I can actually agree with that.
The biggest problem with Re:Zero is that most of the time, it feels like it exists just to make Subaru suffer rather than it actually making sense. Doesn't help any power Subaru DOES have is usually made worthless for the sake of the plot(Using Betelguese's power will immediately drive him mad) or it's gone almost immediately(him being able to cast Magic) just so Subaru has to use "other means" to save the day... at that point.
Disagree hard. All the suffering he goes through has a purpose. The events of the Witch Cult arc was so to break him down and build him back up.

In s2 all the suffering he goes through is so that he could rise greater by defeating Garfield, contracting Beatrice, beating Roswaal, and taking out the rabbits.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Because he doesn't want to die? His 'flailing' around is cause man has a survival instinct.
Plus, this gets brought up in s2 where Subaru starts thinking his only worth is RBD, till the witches slap him upside the head for being stupid and he decides to not abuse rbd and live each loop like its the only one.

Disagree hard. All the suffering he goes through has a purpose. The events of the Witch Cult arc was so to break him down and build him back up.

In s2 all the suffering he goes through is so that he could rise greater by defeating Garfield, contracting Beatrice, beating Roswaal, and taking out the rabbits.

It having purpose doesn't take away the fact it feels real stupid at times that he has fucking nothing.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
It having purpose doesn't take away the fact it feels real stupid at times that he has fucking nothing.
He doesn't have nothing though? He currently has Beatrice, unseen hand, and cor Leonis in the novels.

If your talking about s1. Well that's kinda the point. S1 Subaru is kinda a piece of shit before Rem's speech.

Even then he didn't really need any powers s1 when he finally got his head out of his ass. He helped defeat the Witch Cult and the white whale cause he learned the power of swallowing his pride and being diplomatic.

Without that he wouldn't of been able to convince Crusch to mobilize her army, or gotten Julius's help against betelguese.

S1 Subaru getting a power up would kinda miss the point of s1. Cause Subaru was a prideful piece of shit that took Emilia's kindness for granted and thought that he could do everything himself.

Him getting an actual power would simply validate that behavior.

sir_fire

Distinguished
@OtherGalaxy

unknown.png

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
He doesn't have nothing though? He currently has Beatrice, unseen hand, and cor Leonis in the novels.

If your talking about s1. Well that's kinda the point. S1 Subaru is kinda a piece of shit before Rem's speech.

Even then he didn't really need any powers s1 when he finally got his head out of his ass. He helped defeat the Witch Cult and the white whale cause he learned the power of swallowing his pride and being diplomatic.

Without that he wouldn't of been able to convince Crusch to mobilize her army, or gotten Julius's help against betelguese.

S1 Subaru getting a power up would kinda miss the point of s1. Cause Subaru was a prideful piece of shit that took Emilia's kindness for granted and thought that he could do everything himself.

Him getting an actual power would simply validate that behavior.

So the first season was about grinding the typical Japanese LN Protagonist mindset out of him then? :pringles

Damn I might actually watch it with that as context :skully

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
So the first season was about grinding the typical Japanese LN Protagonist mindset out of him then? :pringles

Damn I might actually watch it with that as context :skully
Yep, Re: Zero is a story where Tappei takes a generic isekai protag and starts beating the shit out of him. Kicking him while he's down. Just so he can learn how to not be a piece of shit. Cause suffering builds character as they say.

If you wanna watch it then watch the director cut episodes for season 1, there quite much longer than normal TV anime episodes but are masterpieces. Or better yet read the LN's or WN's. There even better and darker too.

I should note though that some moments of Subaru can turn you off. Like the royal selection arc and Witch Cult arc cause pre-character development Subaru is a shit person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back