• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #16: Take me Higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Lock

Marvelous
Banned Member
tumblr_m6a4q0VsiD1ruw7pqo1_640.jpg
00a.jpg

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
>people getting salty because some guy who likes naruto said that MHA females arent well written
>he described them as their oversimplified selves with giant woman being "big mommy milkers"
:hestonpls

>people getting salty because some guy who likes naruto said that MHA females arent well written
>he described them as their oversimplified selves with giant woman being "big mommy milkers"
:hestonpls

Both authors can't write females worth shit and usually have them die to motivate other characters in stupid ways.
One Piece and Bleach run circles around both of them despite both series also having issues with their female characters at times.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Despite all the fanservice he puts of them, Mashima stomps them all in writing females. Most of them pretty well written, just as badass as the males, and relevant to the story

Last edited:

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Nobara Kugisaki isn't that good of a female character. People be acting like Nobara is the first good female character in Shonen (which I guess could be trauma from Naruto and Orihime) but no. She's cool but I feel like she didn't live up to the hype per se, she didn't really get any development before being fridged.

Still better than Naruto, mha females and Orihime though.

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
Nobara Kugisaki isn't that good of a female character. People be acting like Nobara is the first good female character in Shonen (which I guess could be trauma from Naruto and Orihime) but no. She's cool but I feel like she didn't live up to the hype per se, she didn't really get any development before being fridged.

Still better than Naruto, mha females and Orihime.

Helck had well written female characters. Id say one of the best main females I've seen in a long time

Still better than Naruto, mha females and Orihime though.

That feels more like retarded favoritism. Outside of Orihime(whose issue was more how Kubo seemed stuck on how he wanted to use her powers vs. her characterization), the other females of Bleach was definitely on the better side of shonen.
Even with what happened with Unohana, how she basically eviscerates Kenpachi when she finally fights for 3 days straight is just hilarious.

One Piece is better about this outside of Robin barely getting any real meaningful battles for the longest.

And even now, I can find some decent main females without even trying.

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Ikeda has a pretty good balance of strong and well written male and female characters between Rosario + Vampire and Ghost Reaper Girl.

Though admittedly in R+V his treatment of the non-Tsukune/Moka members of the main cast left a lot to be desired. In fairness that wasn't a full-on shonen until the second half and he started to do somewhat better towards the end, giving Ruby and Yukari a win a piece. Even if Kurumu and Mizore got screwed.

At least GRG has a set-up with how Chloe's powers work and an emphasis on teamwork and strategy that kind of prevents anyone from feeling useless or left out.

Black Clover shits over most shonen in regards to female characters on account of Noelle having two entire arcs entirely about her own struggles and progression while not involving the MC. :wow

Also Mereleona and Charlotte exist and are just....generally awesome 👌
This. And I absolutely do not agree with the take that Mashima females are one of the best... they really aren't.
Mashima females usually fall into 2 categories:

1. Badasses
2. Damsels

Sure, they usually have personalities outside of that but their roles are usually that and Erza, Mary Sue ass, honestly made Fairy Tail more unbearable than it already was. Eden Zero and Groove Adventure Rave are better examples to use for Mashima doing okay females.

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
This. And I absolutely do not agree with the take that Mashima females are one of the best... they really aren't.
Mashima females usually fall into 2 categories:

1. Badasses
2. Damsels

Sure, they usually have personalities outside of that but their roles are usually that and Erza, Mary Sue ass, honestly made Fairy Tail more unbearable than it already was. Eden Zero and Groove Adventure Rave are better examples to use for Mashima doing okay females.
Winning through plot is just as bad as jobbing through it so I agree. Both are equally shit on different ends of the spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back