• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #17: Beyond Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
He gets text a picture of his ex girlfriend in a bikini then plucks out a few tissues and imagines himself fucking her while moaning her name for two minutes. It was... an experience.
dies-from-cringe-cringe.gif

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Bount arc was just mediocre, probably the worst arc of Bleach.
It's not even remotely close to the worst arc in Bleach.

Bount arc is solidly in the middle, despite being the weakest (BARELY) of the filler arcs.
Mediocre antagonists (only Maki Ichinose was good, and after seeing how Kiganjo was in canon his character feels a joke),
Kairya takes a steaming dumb on all the canon villains save Mayuri, Szayel and Tokinada, he's only mediocre when measured against those guys and the villains of the other filler arcs.

Also canon Kiganjo being different, does nothing to Maki's character nor the writing of the Bount arc. It simply means the Bount arc version of his old Captain is different from the canon version, same as canon Muramasa is not the same character as Zanaptkout Rebellion Muramasa.

Like it's fucking weird to try and hold a filler arc responsible for not accurately portraying characters and facts, that were not known when it was being written. Like how it shows the research division being 1000+ years old when TBTP showed Urahara only founded it just over 100 years before. They had no way of knowing that.

Oh and Go Koga and Yoshino are also among the best characters in the series, along with Maki.
boring fights (only memorable one was Mayuri vs the old man Bount),
Generally yeah but Ichigo vs Kariya final battle is one of the best fights in the series, GTFO.

Also Mayuri vs Sawatari was one of the worst fights in the arc, Sawatari's previous fight against Chad, Noba, Rangiku and Ururu was much better.
the mod souls were annoying
They weren't really annoying per se, as much as they simply didn't contribute much aside from pointing our heroes at where the Bounts were.

With that said, Noba at least put up a good performance against Sawatari.
and the characters took quite dumb decissions through the arc.
Yes and the same could be said of literally every canon to an equal, if not even worse degree, what's your point?
To make things worse, it was sandwiched between SS and beginning of Arrancar arc,
You mean they decided to exploit the canon time gap between these two things, to put their filler arc somewhere where it could actually fit in the timeline? SAY IT ISN'T SO! THE HORROR!

You know, as opposed to putting the filler arc in the middle of an on-going canon arc like the Amagai and Zanpaktou Rebellion did. Which resulted in many people (namely me) skipping the out of frustration (and regretting it later when I actually watched them).

The Bount arc and Reigai Invasion did it right IMO, they found gaps in time where they could reasonably fit their stories in.
and I hated how they incorporated elements to the arc to the early Arrancar one,
The nerve of the anime, trying to maintain some continuity at least to itself, given the mod souls didn't die and (unlike the other Filler arcs) there wasn't a direct acknowledgement of it being a what if.

The anime is allowed to keep to its own continuity, benefits of being an adaptation. If anything I would have liked to see more done with the anime ideas.
mostly to pad out the anime.
The Mod Souls were only used to give Grand Fisher more screen-time (not exactly a bad thing), an extra scene with kariya during the Hollow Ichigo fight and a couple references to them here and there.

FUCKING WOW! LOOK AT ALL THAT PADDING!

As opposed to the mini-arc with the Soul Reapers getting into shenanigans in the Living World, which is actually where most of the padding lies in that arc. Most of that stuff is still pretty good, I'm just saying it seems weird to specifically call out the Bount arc inclusions.
It tells something when not even Bleach Brave Souls has ever capitalized the Bounts in the nearly 8 years it has been active, which tells about the general reception of the arc.
Yes it tells us that Bleach manga fans (the target audience of that game generally) have terrible taste and therefore they don't see it as profitable to include them.

It does not , as you're obviously trying to imply, say anything about the actual quality of the arc itself nor it's characters.

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Bount arc 's problem is its length and pacing. You could have cut 30% of it without problem and made a little more focused.
This I do agree with

The Mod soul test at the start should have only been about 1 - 2 episodes, not FIVE whole episodes before we even get started showing the Bounts.

It could easily have been cut down to 20 - 30 episodes on par with the length of the later filler arcs and still been as good, if not better.
But fuck, i'll take it anyday over the Fullbring arc or the last one.
Preach, though I'd add FKT to that.
Also the fact that it had the misfortune of following the absolute peak of Bleach , so compared to that, anything would have came short handed.
Also a fair point.

Especially since they clearly tried to re-create some of that in the second half in Soul Society. By having the Captains who fought in that arc, being the ones who largely shit on the Bounts later on.

The Living world half felt more like it was trying to be its own thing which is largely why I prefer that half of the arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back