• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #20: I am Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
oh i just meant the style

most mecha outside of Brave (who reused a lot of transformers designs) dont look anything like transformers but galaxy robo gets pretty close to the general look
Should check out Vrains. Has a decent 5Ds feel to it even if not as good as 5Ds in its first two seasons.

Vrains was still decent for what it was, especially when your aware of the massive production issues that were at work in the animation studio during its inception.

Was so bad, they never fully recovered. Vrains ended up rushed toward the end and would be Studio Gallops last Yugioh made

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
I wouldn’t mind the new Rush Duels and anime shows advertising them if Konami could just release the card game here though.

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
Next set is Cyberstorm Access

Dead giveaway it’s going to be Yusaku stuff with a new Code Talker or Firewall Dragon on the cover and support for Code Talker and hopefully generic good Cyberse support.

C’mon Konami, stop holding back on my boy Soulburner. I need some new Salamangreat cards

tumblr_py2cmc0E3b1rhr9zio1_1280.jpg

Especially since we’re not getting a Fire Duelist Pack with the series officially canned before we could

Man got done dirty in the anime. Everyone but Yusaku was just jobbers

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Man got done dirty in the anime. Everyone but Yusaku was just jobbers
Nobody got it worse than Aoi though. I’d argue she suffered the worst from the show starting to get rushed right around the time she swapped decks and got her own Ignis

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
girl got dropped on her fucking neck that one time
:hestonpls
That’s the other thing. She didn’t just lose half the time. But her losses like against Spectre were more brutal and degrading than anyone else’s in that show.
I mean it's Yu-Gi-Oh, I'm not sure why you'd expect a female character to be treated well.
It's not really a series known for it's good treatment of female characters.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
I mean it's Yu-Gi-Oh, I'm not sure why you'd expect a female character to be treated well.
It's not really a series known for it's good treatment of female characters.
As said, Aoi’s treatment was pretty egregious even for Yugioh.

To go with this is the directors boner for replicating the Yugi-Kaiba-Joey dynamic of its 3 most relevant characters in most of the series instead of trying to be original.

Especially when their poorly written and requiring retcons and other characters being sidelined to shoehorn them in like 5Ds Crow.

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
To go with this is the directors boner for replicating the Yugi-Kaiba-Joey dynamic of its 3 most relevant characters in most of the series instead of trying to be original.

Especially when their poorly written and requiring retcons and other characters being sidelined to shoehorn them in like 5Ds Crow.
The best version of this dynamic post DM is IMO Yuma, Shark and Kaito from ZEXAL.

I did like how both functioned as rivals and even antagonists for Yuma depending on what part of the series they were at. Not to mention Shark going back and forth win/loss wise against Yuma was pretty cool for a change, considering how rare it is for the rivals to get even one W on the protagonist.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
The best version of this dynamic post DM is IMO Yuma, Shark and Kaito from ZEXAL.

I did like how both functioned as rivals and even antagonists for Yuma depending on what part of the series they were at. Not to mention Shark going back and forth win/loss wise against Yuma was pretty cool for a change, considering how rare it is for the rivals to get even one W on the protagonist.
Yeah Zexal at least did it the best. Kaito’s my overall favorite Kaiba clone and even like him more than the actual Kaiba too

Crow alone ruined 5Ds a fair bit for me and Vrains, Revolver was cool and while I like him more, Soulburner was basically the Crow of that series in sidelining previous characters, arguably even more aggressively since his first few duels are him easily beating Go and Aoi. At least it didn’t require retconning the lore but actually expanded the story with showing more Ignis and Duelists assigned to them

Also didn’t help Yusaku as a character was so detached and anti-social towards everyone else throughout most of the run

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Funny enough I'd say GX probably did the best overall in terms of treatment of the side-cast, even if it would inevitably turn into the Judai show a lot of the time. Certainly had the biggest amount of strongly portrayed side-characters at the very least.

Even Manjoume got a W over Edo at the end, Sho inherited the Cyber Dragons, Ryo has one of the best duels in the franchise, Austin drawing against the Supreme King, Johan in general etc.

It was pretty good, except for Asuka not really getting much post-Season 2 but again it's Yugioh, we have to take what we can get for the ladies.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
I left GX out because it was one of the few Yugiohs that didn’t have the whole Yugi-Kaiba-Joey thing. All the characters were pretty unique

Arc-V was pretty good about avoiding that cliche too. And coincidentally one of the better Yugiohs at handling females. At least for the first half.

Wish Mieru became a Lancer over that lame Ninja guy that beat her. The only character until Alexis much later on to use Rituals in that show which made her deck unique. Ninja’s deck sucked pretty bad and they themselves were inconsequential to the plot.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Hated how Rituals got no representation in Arc-V because it wasn’t an Extra Deck mechanic like Fusion Synchro and Xyz were. Nevermind that Pendulums weren’t either, just main deck monsters with the ability to go to the Extra Deck when removed from the field in a manner where they would go to grave instead.

We even had an Odd-Eyes Ritual Monster early on that never saw any use in the actual show and only now years after Arc-V ended have we gotten the first ever Pendulum-Ritual Monster in the entire game.

Don’t know why either. A Pendulum theme using Rituals Pre-MR4 would have been a neat and economical way to make use of such a normally costly mechanic

Heck even with MR4, I still want them to try going for one

Vespa Crabro

Stellaron Hunter
V.I.P. Member
Yeah Zexal at least did it the best. Kaito’s my overall favorite Kaiba clone and even like him more than the actual Kaiba too

Crow alone ruined 5Ds a fair bit for me and Vrains, Revolver was cool and while I like him more, Soulburner was basically the Crow of that series in sidelining previous characters, arguably even more aggressively since his first few duels are him easily beating Go and Aoi. At least it didn’t require retconning the lore but actually expanded the story with showing more Ignis and Duelists assigned to them

Also didn’t help Yusaku as a character was so detached and anti-social towards everyone else throughout most of the run
>Varis builds his deck and board specifically to screw over crowburner
>hurr durr blazing draw is a free +4 xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

>literally gets washed free ez by a goddamn homosexual vacuum cleaner right after

one of the best duels in the series just ruined by giving soulburner the free out to push salamis harder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back