• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #22: Back in the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Kinda raises the plot holes for why Goku used SS3 at all, let alone treated it as his upward limit before discovering SS4, Frieza being dead and no stronger than Cell, and Gohan, Piccolo, and Vegeta all clearly lacking their power-ups beyond Buu Saga

I got no problem with GT being re-integrated into the canon though. The actual story ideas themselves, such as the Tuffles wanting revenge on the Saiyan through Baby and the Shadow Dragons were much more interesting than anything put out in Super recently.

Problem with GT was execution, particularly with anyone not named Goku being useless and most fights being meh for the most part

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Tails gets character development in Frontiers

He explains why he’s been “wildly inconsistent”

Bro knows

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Eh. GT already considered itself canon to the anime. I don’t think this changes anything.
Yes but that doesn’t change how extremely contradictory characters in GT are portrayed to how they would be in Super.

Way I see it, GT still needs be made canon in the same way they made Broly canon: Taking the premises and reworking them to fit the story. Until than, I see GT at best as an alternate continuity separate from the main canon. GT wasn’t made with Super in mind which took Post Buu-Era Dragon Ball in a completely different direction

By all means, I’d love to see Super Saiyan 4 brought back.

Last edited:

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
That is the reason why Blade calls GT “Goku Time” @Astaro
That’s the number one thing I hated about GT. Say what you want about Super, it certainly treated Vegeta better and gave plenty of the side characters their spotlight.

Trunks being the one to defeat Zamasu in his own arc (minus his Infinite form he achieved upon death anyway) is still one of my favorite moments in the whole series

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Even minor details like Bulma looking her actual age in DBGT are getting retconned by DBS now confirming with the movies she’s been using the Dragon Balls to make herself subtly younger

Not to mention Pilaf and his group being kids again in Super when in the start of GT they were fossils

That’s the number one thing I hated about GT. Say what you want about Super, it certainly treated Vegeta better and gave plenty of the side characters their spotlight.
True. It made Vegeta much more relevant beyond just appearing in the final fight

but I feel Vegeta in GT also feels less contradictory tbh. Super Vegeta clearly regressed as a character somewhat, and I didn’t care for his moments in Z being recycled again

and while I agree that Trunks beating Zamasu is cool, I don’t like how it just resulted in complete failure and he needed someone to put him in another timeline. It takes away from his ending in Z to me tbh

Limu&Doug

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member

FFV0ZteVgAMxi0F

koyama’s responses are always based especially in nerd debates

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
True. It made Vegeta much more relevant beyond just appearing in the final fight

but I feel Vegeta in GT also feels less contradictory tbh. Super Vegeta clearly regressed as a character somewhat, and I didn’t care for his moments in Z being recycled again

and while I agree that Trunks beating Zamasu is cool, I don’t like how it just resulted in complete failure and he needed someone to put him in another timeline. It takes away from his ending in Z to me tbh
I know saying anything good about the DBS manga is heresy but I genuinely liked how Vegeta saw defending Namek from Moro as a priority over his usual his usual interest in fighting a strong opponent out of regret for what he did the last time he was on Namek.

Such a stark contrast between then and now and one of the best examples of character development in the series. It’s why between that and the Yardrat training that I wished Vegeta was the one to beat Moro over Goku yet again.

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
In the whole GT vs Super debate on Vegeta while Super does a better job with Vegeta for the most part GT Vegeta feel like he moved on obsessing over surpassing Goku

Super feels like a back n forth

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
Also why y'all acting like Gt being canon to the Toeiland version of DB is some breaking news shit we been knew that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back