• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #22: Back in the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
FhF3tf3UUAEeINp

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
My major complaint was that Kratos didn't die in some badass way like it was implied he would last game.

Changes I would have made:

Basically, game should have been longer. And split between Kratos and Atreus equally, and when we play as Atreus there should have been a time skip. Where he becomes the weapon of Asgard. Like Kratos was the weapon of Olympus.

I'm still mad that Odin ended up just being evil. I was hoping they'd play up the cyclical nature of Ragnarok like Odin was the only one aware of a time loop and he'd been deliberately distorting things in a last ditch effort to break free.

Could have had it where he was deliberately antagonizing Kratos because the Ghost of Sparta could kill him for real and break the rest of his pantheon free of the cycle, making the whole thing a giant sacrifice gambit

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Nah, Odin didn’t deserve any surprise reveals of secretly being good. All the side stories you hear from him in the first game that he did to innocent giants in the first like Starkaðr, Thiazi, Skaði as well as other races cemented just what a petty and uncaring asshole he was. And the damage hes done to the realms and its denizens just gets worse in the second game

They nailed him in making him a love to hate kind of character though. Richard Schiff was perfect for portaying this even more sleazy, untrustworthy, and yet charismatic take on Odin

Last edited:

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Done dirty
His personality is even worse. While Odin was entertaining to listen to, I just wanted Heim to shut up within seconds of talking.

Kratos killing him was supposed to be a big terrible moment of him regressing to his old self and here I am just seeing Kratos doing a service.

Thor making Heim run with just the mental image of what he was going to do to him was awesome too

If I were to guess, Thor had thoughts of giving him a good ole’ Viking Blood Eagle

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member

You made a few mistakes there Jaiden. :maybe

Mistake #1 - Trying to get into a franchise that didn't start as a game, THROUGH the games. There's a reason a lot of them are not really designed to be Digimon noob friendly (ie not explaining what Digimon are etc.), they expect you to have watched the anime.

Mistake #2 - You discounted Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, which really would be the go to game I would say if you HAVE to get into Digimon through a game. Of course my main recommendation would be to watch Digimon Adventure 01, but Cyber Sleuth is a pretty good starting point.

In fairness you owed up to that second mistake, you liked the designs and I do hope you try Cyber Sleuth and enjoy it eventually.

Last edited:

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
They did however fuck up Heimdall.

How did we go from THIS in the first game

MkZ9WH6.png

Somehow translating to this soyboy in the second game

FhETNIGVsAASHMB.jpg
Gonna be honest, when I first encountered this guy, I thought he was just some random twat of an aesir. Wasn't expecting him to actually be Heimdall. Then again, it doesn't surprise me they made him into this, given Angrboda and her grandmother basically became like African voodoo gods with how they look, especially the grandmother. :mjlol

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Yeah this game is odd. On one hand, Odin, Thor, Jormungandr (other than his upbringing anyway), and others are nailed excellently, then with other Norse figures they took so many liberties with them that they don’t even look like they belong in the mythology.

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
Yeah this game is odd. On one hand, Odin, Thor, Jormungandr (other than his upbringing anyway), and others are nailed excellently, then with other Norse figures they took so many liberties with them that they don’t even look like they belong in the mythology.
Legit, the way they have Angrboda and her grandma set up and do certain things, it honestly feels like they belonged in an African myth focused GOW game, rather than a norse one. That whole section in Jotunheim with them felt so out of place with everything else.

As for Heimdall... well, him being a twink as opposed to a jacked, heavily bearded warrior isn't something I can pin down. Even the most androgynous gods in myth that we have a somewhat physical representation for still end up looking more masculine than he does, and that says something. :mjlol

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
Legit, the way they have Angrboda and her grandma set up and do certain things, it honestly feels like they belonged in an African myth focused GOW game, rather than a norse one. That whole section in Jotunheim with them felt so out of place with everything else.

As for Heimdall... well, him being a twink as opposed to a jacked, heavily bearded warrior isn't something I can pin down. Even the most androgynous gods in myth that we have a somewhat physical representation for still end up looking more masculine than he does, and that says something. :mjlol
they said in the last game all these pantheons/mythologies somehow exist on the earth at once right?
they could have just put some actual african folklore characters in there who just travelled here

woulda been sick as hell seeing Anansi or something :wow

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member

It gets even more ridiculous when you look at the mural of him in the first game.

That moment when fans do a better job with a character than the developers

alex-tomasino-alex-tomasino-thumbs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back