• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #26: Forth Eorlingas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
bruh

images

516K6Y0BB0L._AC_SY1000_.jpg

6116EW05D7L._AC_SY1000_.jpg

51ThrEH5EWL._AC_.jpg

513SR2CR0PL.jpg

ps1 for its era, also had some really underrated games, aside the usual ones we know
Parasite Eve 2, but not 1? I personally preferred the original.

p much their goal was to make something so universally perceived as shit that it would get people talking about it, hate watching it etc. and it fucking worked. Shit trended and here we all are.

Though it being the worst rated cartoon of all time is some silver lining at least :skully

Actually, it DIDN'T work.
Velma is the highest rated cartoon in HBOMax... because it's the ONLY cartoon on HBOMax(aka Damned by Faint Praise). It's the same shit with Teen Titans Go! Where they constantly pushed it as the best show on CN... when it constantly keeps being ran every day, sometimes with impromptu marathons, no shit it's gonna be the "Best Show" when it's has over 100 airings per week.

Not to mention just like with The Rings of Power and Batwoman, it getting a 2nd season immediately greenlit doesn't mean success at all. Hell, look at the Disney+ Star Wars Shows or Disney+ MCU Shows, those actually are NEVER successful but lie to investors and pretend they are doing good because "manipulate the shit out of how many people are actually using free subs or watching different shit means that they also watched X".

Velma isn't doing good because of hatewatching, Velma is doing good because the network just allows it.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
Actually, it DIDN'T work.
Velma is the highest rated cartoon in HBOMax... because it's the ONLY cartoon on HBOMax(aka Damned by Faint Praise). It's the same shit with Teen Titans Go! Where they constantly pushed it as the best show on CN... when it constantly keeps being ran every day, sometimes with impromptu marathons, no shit it's gonna be the "Best Show" when it's has over 100 airings per week.

Not to mention just like with The Rings of Power and Batwoman, it getting a 2nd season immediately greenlit doesn't mean success at all. Hell, look at the Disney+ Star Wars Shows or Disney+ MCU Shows, those actually are NEVER successful but lie to investors and pretend they are doing good because "manipulate the shit out of how many people are actually using free subs or watching different shit means that they also watched X".

Velma isn't doing good because of hatewatching, Velma is doing good because the network just allows it.
oh im sure the numbers are being cooked no doubt, viewer reception is atrocious, I haven’t seen anyone who enjoyed it, I meant its clear they made this show to promote social media outrage and engagement, and that seems to be translating into some kind of money for them (i doubt it spectacular but if you look at what Velma trended against there also wasn’t much competition)

star wars is a weird case where its shows are extremely hit and miss, Mando was fun and well received, Boba and Obi Wan were dogshit, Andor seemed well received but didn’t make much money but SW as a brand is so huge and disney wars legitimately still has a large group of fans so I think it’s letting them get by somehow. We’ll see how mando 3 does I guess?

I didnt follow Rings of Power at all, nothing about it sounded interesting to me, I’m not a LOTr acolyte but it was my intro to fantasy as my dad is a huge fan and so I want to see it treated well. I also have very specific feelings about how black people fit into fantasy (as a black guy into it) and i got the impression they were just using us as a marketing tool, so that was pretty lame. Fake diversity or whatever you want to call it.

oh im sure the numbers are being cooked no doubt, viewer reception is atrocious, I haven’t seen anyone who enjoyed it, I meant its clear they made this show to promote social media outrage and engagement, and that seems to be translating into some kind of money for them (i doubt it spectacular but if you look at what Velma trended against there also wasn’t much competition)

True but we could say the same thing with Netflix Cowboy Bebop... and that was canceled after the first season despite the same "online engagement".

star wars is a weird case where its shows are extremely hit and miss, Mando was fun and well received, Boba and Obi Wan were dogshit, Andor seemed well received but didn’t make much money but SW as a brand is so huge and disney wars legitimately still has a large group of fans so I think it’s letting them get by somehow. We’ll see how mando 3 does I guess?

But none of it translates into merch sales, people going to the parks, etc, etc. and that's where the actual money comes from.

>Tries to force in a political statement
>Doesn't realize Burger King exists in Japan.
>And that Artoria is King Arthur, aka she's British.

This motherfucker is going to go on a massive tangent when he realizes Japanese people buy Chicken on Christmas and KFC is really popular for that reason...
"Japanese People be taking shit away from the Black Folk by eating Chicken on Christmas!"

EDIT: Of course, I forgot the dumbest part of it.

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
It is not getting by at all. Kenobi at it's highest ratings had 2.4 mill views but that is only at it's highest, it most likely went down as reception got worse and we can see by Andor doing worse than She-Hulk numbers, about 6 and half hundred thousand at best, that the damage from Kenobi was tremendous. Not to mention everything else in Disney Wars is doing terrible numbers as far as money and merchandising is concerned.

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
image.png

If I have to fight another Jodah deck I'm going to lose it.

This is the 30th time this week I've gone against one :mjgrin

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
True but we could say the same thing with Netflix Cowboy Bebop... and that was canceled after the first season despite the same "online engagement".
surprisingly I have still seen fans for that :kobeha I was gonna say netflix is trigger happy with cancelling shows in general, but then I remembered the whole WB buyout of HBO and how they cancelled tons of animated shows. Seen theories Velma only got made because of Mindy Kaling wanting a show but they wouldn’t let it get made as a new IP so they used scooby doo. Kinda tracks with the PPG Creator saying he pitched dozens of new IPs but big studios dont want new that and only want old stuff. Shit is ass
But none of it translates into merch sales, people going to the parks, etc, etc. and that's where the actual money comes from.
does it not? I can’t speak on numbers specifically just know when ive been to the parks there’s insane amounts of disney wars fans there, they blocked off shit just for their may 4th merch stuff etc. That said I’ve heard bits and pieces of them needing to do stuff to get more park attendance it’s just not something I’ve kept up with, and I kinda assumed shit has just not recovered since covid lockdowns etc
It is not getting by at all. Kenobi at it's highest ratings had 2.4 mill views but that is only at it's highest, it most likely went down as reception got worse and we can see by Andor doing worse than She-Hulk numbers, about 6 and half hundred thousand at best, that the damage from Kenobi was tremendous. Not to mention everything else in Disney Wars is doing terrible numbers as far as money and merchandising is concerned.
honestly know this is a common sentiment but I cannot for the life of me figure out what disney’s strategy with str wars was ever supposed to be in the first place? each movie had diminishing returns which makes no sense as the mcu kept doing well within the same time frame. I know them not planning shit did a lot of damage but then you would think with the large amount of money invested here they would do something about that…

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
>people upset because Legends Arceus told us that the Arceus you see in all the games is only a fragment of Arceus true form
>claim this is a copout to make it so arceus is still the strongest

:Wut:
Of course he's the strongest you clowns, he created everything
why are they surprised by this :skully

only lame thing about it is arceus didnt get a new form or any lore relating to its original thousand armed form

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
>people upset because Legends Arceus told us that the Arceus you see in all the games is only a fragment of Arceus true form
>claim this is a copout to make it so arceus is still the strongest

:Wut:
Of course he's the strongest you clowns, he created everything
Any Pokemon being =/> Arceus would be some actual cop out bullshit, but idiots gonna be idiots I guess. :maybe

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Any Pokemon being =/> Arceus would be some actual cop out bullshit, but idiots gonna be idiots I guess. :maybe
why are they surprised by this :skully

only lame thing about it is arceus didnt get a new form or any lore relating to its original thousand armed form
SB likes to say (Mega?) Mewtwo and Rayquaza are stronger than Arceus because of in-game stats

also “Arceus is weaker than a meteor while Rayquaza destroys meteors in every appearance”

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
>arceus is weaker than a meteor
>in the same movie he causes a galaxy-sized explosion by waking up

:mjgrin

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
SB likes to say (Mega?) Mewtwo and Rayquaza are stronger than Arceus because of in-game stats
Kyogre fucking bodies Rayquaza in gameplay, doesn't make Kyogre canonically stronger now does it? :maybe
also “Arceus is weaker than a meteor while Rayquaza destroys meteors in every appearance”
Wasn't it a massively weakened version of Arceus in the first place? :kobeha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back